As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2021: Dodgers/Braves Cheatros/Wahh Sox

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm torn. I'd rather see some baserunning, singles and doubles, and a bit of strategy versus hunting for HRs; but damn if that wasn't a fun game to watch last night.

I'm assuming this is just the state of the league? Pitchers are so good at keeping away from hitters that the hitters want to capitalize as much as possible when they make contact, versus just trying to get something past the infield to get a man on base? I'm doing a really bad job of translating this into words. I'm trying to figure out what led to all-HRs-forever instead of the more "grindy" versions of games that I'm used to; where you would see more guys on base and some strategy related to getting them home via sacrifices, steals, and passed balls.

This year had more homeruns overall but we aren't getting the single folks doing insane amounts it is more of an overall thing.

Though I am not sure I would call it a thing with the playoffs though. The Dodgers had 27 or something like that innings without giving up a run by their bullpen.

This has been an insane series though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Nothing to add beyond the general sentiment of "!!!!!!!" that's already been expressed here and everywhere else, but gosh, that Game 5 was possibly the best game of baseball I've ever seen. It's top 5 for sure, across all sports. Thrilling.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It was a fun game to watch for sure but 9 year old me jumping up and down on a couch in middle Minnesota will never allow game 7 of the 1991 World Series to be topped.

Jack Morris pitching a ten inning shutout with shaggy Dan Gladden racing home in the bottom of the tenth to win the series is just too awesome.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Nothing tops 2002 Game 6 of the World Series for me. I thought it was over for the Angels, a lot of people did. Giants had a 3-2 lead in the series and were up 5-0 in the 7th in Game 6, coming off a 16-4 blowout of the Angels in Game 5. Angels came back with 3 in the 7th, and 3 in the 8th to win 6-5 and force Game 7.

The 2002 series held the previous record of 21 home runs in a WS which was beaten already this year and it isn't even over.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I'm torn. I'd rather see some baserunning, singles and doubles, and a bit of strategy versus hunting for HRs; but damn if that wasn't a fun game to watch last night.

I'm assuming this is just the state of the league? Pitchers are so good at keeping away from hitters that the hitters want to capitalize as much as possible when they make contact, versus just trying to get something past the infield to get a man on base? I'm doing a really bad job of translating this into words. I'm trying to figure out what led to all-HRs-forever instead of the more "grindy" versions of games that I'm used to; where you would see more guys on base and some strategy related to getting them home via sacrifices, steals, and passed balls.

The short answer is statistics.

The longer answer is that we found out that it’s better to fish for home runs than go for hits because home run fishing also produces more doubles at a rate which is significantly higher than the drop off in singles and the accumulated advancement rate. Most important is that on first you require two outs to reliably move someone to third; which negates the sac fly.

That is: swinging for the fences puts people on second where they can be driven in or advanced twice by sacrifice.

This is also why you may have thought you have seen more “challenges” from the outfield. People realized that you really don’t get those chances again so take them when they’re up

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    I was at that game guys

I got to go to that game

Holy shit was it insane and incredible

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Astros are going to give me a heart attack.

Cant we just get a standard 2 hour 9 inning game with a score of 7-2 to win the series? Just...cmon guys....i cant handle this much stress.

Ninjeff on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I want it to a 7th game that ends up at like.. 16 innings, with 6 or 8 home runs each, because anything else will almost certainly feel anti-climatic now.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I want it to go 7 games so I can actually watch the whole game. Game 6 being on Halloween is bit of a bummer.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    I want it to a 7th game that ends up at like.. 16 innings, with 6 or 8 home runs each, because anything else will almost certainly feel anti-climatic now.

SHUSH! lol

• Options

Oh god no

My heart can't take it

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Beggars night is tonight here! :biggrin:

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    "... and here we are now, at the top of the 18th inning, 20 to 20..." *sound of someone collapsing in the background*

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Cant we just get a standard 2 hour 9 inning game with a score of 7-2 to win the series? Just...cmon guys....i cant handle this much stress.

Mlb just announced they're extending the series to a best of 19.

• Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Mlb just announced they're extending the series to a best of 19.

That thud you hear is me passing out in a most dramatic fashion.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    This is the game my brother pulled out as a counter to last night's: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI199310200.shtml

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    This is the game my brother pulled out as a counter to last night's: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI199310200.shtml

3 Home Runs. Mediocre.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

3 Home Runs. Mediocre.

philistines

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Plus the lead only changed five times. Last night had eight.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Rickey Henderson. Back when stealing bases still mattered.

• Options

He also hit home runs. Like a nine tool player.

• Options

The secret is that stealing bases never actually mattered.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

If you can steal them at high volume with high success rate they do.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

If you look down, Rickey has managed to steal your shoes without you noticing.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Stealing second has always mattered. But you have to do it at a high rate.

Frankly the main problem with stealing is that people don’t do it enough. A double is worth more than twice a single and so even if you have a lowish success ratio you’re doing well.

With 2 outs you should be attempting to steal almost all the damn time. Two outs and 1+ strike and you should be running especially with a good hitter at the plate. Not only do you have low probability fast ball but on first you’re worth little while on second a lot more. And, if you do get out you’ve bought your hitter another count and if there is a hit you might be able to score.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Goumindong wrote: »

Frankly the main problem with stealing is that people don’t do it enough. A double is worth more than twice a single and so even if you have a lowish success ratio you’re doing well.

With 2 outs you should be attempting to steal almost all the damn time. Two outs and 1+ strike and you should be running especially with a good hitter at the plate. Not only do you have low probability fast ball but on first you’re worth little while on second a lot more. And, if you do get out you’ve bought your hitter another count and if there is a hit you might be able to score.

How do you measure worth? I'm kind of surprised about this statement. I haven't kept up recently with new research, but just looking up some references like https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-visual-look-at-woba/ (admittedly from 2011, so things might have changed) the weights for a single are either 2 (for OPS, obviously) or 0.9 for wOBA (not something I'm particularly familiar with, but I think it still used. It certainly seems more thoughtful than OPS), while for a double, OPS is 3 and wOBA 1.24. So, at least for that particular article, the argument is the opposite. A double is worth much less than double a single (50% more for OPS, only 38% more for wOBA).

Edit: Another way to look at it: Would you prefer to have 2 singles or 1 double? I think everyone would prefer the former, right? So, I think its a pretty convincing argument that a double is not worth even twice a single.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    FanGraphs' current BsR (baserunning runs added) statistic is illustrative, if you take it as reasonably accurate. The best baserunner I ever watched play on a regular basis was Michael Bourn. According to FanGraphs, he added about 1.3 wins of value in his best season with his baserunning. By comparison, take a guy like Cody Bellinger who was close to the league average this season on offense in everything but his power output, where he was elite. The result? 2.8 wins of offensive value. (Edit: For a more apples-to-apples comparison, Byron Buxton was the BsR leader this season, and added about 1.2 wins of value with his legs.)

And I think that seems reasonable, based on everything I've seen. Being elite at power or OBP seems about twice as valuable as being elite at baserunning.

Good baserunning of course does have value, but there's a reason it's not prized as heavily on the open market as other categories.

OremLK on
  • Options
    I dunno, in MLB The Show, I always make sure I max speed and baserunning, and just bunt myself on then steal to third every time. Works like a charm.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Stealing is valuable but being a good stealer isn’t.
    Goumindong wrote: »

How do you measure worth? I'm kind of surprised about this statement. I haven't kept up recently with new research, but just looking up some references like https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-visual-look-at-woba/ (admittedly from 2011, so things might have changed) the weights for a single are either 2 (for OPS, obviously) or 0.9 for wOBA (not something I'm particularly familiar with, but I think it still used. It certainly seems more thoughtful than OPS), while for a double, OPS is 3 and wOBA 1.24. So, at least for that particular article, the argument is the opposite. A double is worth much less than double a single (50% more for OPS, only 38% more for wOBA).

Edit: Another way to look at it: Would you prefer to have 2 singles or 1 double? I think everyone would prefer the former, right? So, I think its a pretty convincing argument that a double is not worth even twice a single.

Implicit in your question of "would you rather have two singles or a double" is "would you rather have two singles in a row or a double" the answer is obviously you would rather have two singles in a row. But two singles isn't two singles in a row.

wOBA has some issues (not worth getting into right now*) but the main thing is that wOBA (and OPS) are not measuring the event we want to discuss. They're attempting to measure a general run scored probability for a given event. But we want to measure a conditional run scored probability for a given situation. OPS's weights are also kind of pointless because they're not a measurement they're just a dumb weight.

That is; the value of a single is, roughly, "Value of base runner on first + Probability of knocking in a run + advancement value" while the value of a double is "Value of a base runner on second + probability of knocking in a run+ advancement value". When discussing stealing the measurement were looking at is simple "value of a base runner on first" compared to "value of a base runner on second". The "potential score" and "advancement value" are null since there is no one to advance.

The majority of value of "singles" is hitting singles with runners in scoring position. The conditional required to steal (essentially no one one second, someone on first) negates the primary value of singles, which is the fact that they can occur when people are in scoring position. Indeed we can know this because the "value of a person on first" must be less than the value of a walk since walks are "Value of 1B occupied plus 1b advancement value" and the value of a walk is .72. The value of "probability of scoring someone" is going to be pretty similar for a double and single (doubles will sometimes score people from first but this is rare enough that the value is largely in getting someone into scoring position). This puts the value of the person on second at a minimum of 50% greater value than a person on first(by putting the advancement value of a walk at zero). In reality (once you remove all the value of moving up people when you walk as well as increased pitch count etc) you expect this difference to be much greater.

Additionally there are different values of people on various bases at different out values. A person on third with 1 out is worth a lot more than a person on third with two outs, obviously. A person on first with two outs is worth almost nothing as the probability of scoring them while not getting an out is very low(basically two non-triple or above hits in a row + probability of > double). The probability of scoring someone from second in this situation is actually pretty decent, you just need a single hit. Roughly the ratio between these values is going to be equal to slightly less than the inverse of the teams batting average. If your team is batting .300 a person on second is worth almost 3.3 times as much as a person on first. Triples and Home Runs modify this but even the best HR hitter is going to be hitting a HR maybe 6 or 7% of plate appearances which will have a very minor effect on the positional value of the runner compared to batting averages.

That is, if you have two outs getting to second base a third of the time probably gives your teams some extra runs.

*The main issues are that Reached on Error should not be included because its exceedingly unlikely that these should be correlated with the skills of the hitter (indeed the definition should almost prevent it) while also obviously producing more value than a single and similarly NIBB and HPB should be the same value, differences in offensive value from this result from variance in the effect of the pitcher or simply randomness.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Well, here we go already.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I realize it's bases loaded in an elimination game but boy going to the bullpen now feels like a really bad sign for the Dodgers.

admanb on
  • Options
    I can’t decide if I appreciate Fox’s strike zone box stuff or not. I like seeing it but the calls that don’t agree with it make me irrationally irritated.

• Options
    I can’t decide if I appreciate Fox’s strike zone box stuff or not. I like seeing it but the calls that don’t agree with it make me irrationally irritated.

The weird thing about Fox's strike zone is that it's WAY smaller than MLB Gameday's.

• Options
    Every one of those things always seems to only go waist high.

• Options
    Every one of those things always seems to only go waist high.

I'm pretty sure that's just an artifact of the camera angle, the box isn't actually starting at their shins.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I haven’t paid attention to it, but does the strike zone box overlay adjust for the hitters’ height?

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    Just wait til Altuve is up again, should be easy to tell.

• Options
    Hah I can tell with Gurriel here. It does not change. What a shitty system.

• Options
    Balls and strikes are wildly objective. That’s where the issue starts.

I know it’s partially because of the importance of the games but I can’t remember seeing so many hitters double-taking a ball/strike call.

• Options
    What a fun series. And I don’t even care about either team.

This discussion has been closed.