As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daredevil] is a Man Without A Tv Show

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
edited December 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
daredevil-logo-372x100.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU

Daredevil returns with Netflix, starting on April 10. DD's finally getting what's due to him in an adaption, which has taken long enough to get made. The first series that leads up to The Defenders, where Daredevil joins Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist as a team.

Daredevil/Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox)

daredevil-poster-featured.jpg?w=300&h=208&crop=1

Daredevil-2.jpg

Blinded as a boy, his father was murdered for refusing to throw a match as a professional boxer. He was trained afterward in martial arts by Stick, a surly ninja master. As a man he's a defense attorney, who is driven to be a vigilante to save his city from being consumed by corruption.

Foggy Nelson (Eldren Henson)

elden_0.jpg?itok=LL5DhC2_

Matt's best friend and partner in their law firm. He has no idea what Matt gets up to at nights and he's probably better off.

Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll)

deborah-ann-wall-daredevil.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop=1

Framed for murder that her company covered up, Karen's desperate for justice and is determined to find it no matter the cost.
Becomes the secretary for Foggy and Murdock when they prove her innocence.

Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson)

dawson-social-9efc4.jpg

She's a nurse who Matt turns to to heal his injured from his nights as a super-hero.

Ben Urich (Vondie Curtis-Hall)

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fb9%2F41%2F540179f448c195f1b15be28f94e9%2Fvondie-curtis-hall.jpg

A local reporter who gets caught up with Daredevil's antics. Normally he's a supporting character for Spider-man and works for the Daily Bugle.

Wilson Fisk/the Kingpin (Vincent D'Onofrio)

Kingpin-Banner.jpg?resize=350%2C200

A powerful business man and crime lord, who wants to control Hell's Kitchen to save it in his twisted mind. Ambitious, charismatic, intelligent, ruthless - with an army of criminals to back him up. Matt will have his hands full stopping him from doing what he wants.

This will be no spoiler tags in this thread since this is a show for Netflix.

edit: Fixed, Hakke.

Harry Dresden on

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    well, that's a good chunk of my weekend sorted. am really looking forward to this. be interesting to see a darker, grittier side to the MCU.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Hopefully this will be like Arrow, just without the godawfully written supporting cast.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Cannot wait for this. Sadly, I will be super busy Friday and Saturday, so I won't get to actually start watching until Sunday night. Ugh...stupid life.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Looking forward to it, despite never really being a Daredevil fan.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ÄlterÄlter Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've always pegged you as a "Thor" kinda guy. :P

It will be interesting to see how far they push the envelope in terms of "grit" and violence.

That's the sound of my shoes.
  • Options
    When it came to street level heroes, I always preferred the Punisher.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This made me get a Netflix sub.

Looking forward to at least watching an episode or two on Friday night.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Will this be available on Netflix UK?

We've been discussing making the swap from Amazon Prime, and this could make the decision for us.

(When I say us, I mean me)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Will this be available on Netflix UK?

We've been discussing making the swap from Amazon Prime, and this could make the decision for us.

(When I say us, I mean me)

i believe so. it being a Netflix Original that should mean it's available everywhere Netflix is.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    So Bleedingcool posted reviews of the first five episodes with some mild spoilers:

Episode 1

Episode 2 and 3

Episode 4 and 5

You know, in case you can't wait two more days.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Awww yeah ordering a pizza and starting my vacation with grim crime drama

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Harryyyy it goes up April 10 not April 15

Also I did not know Charlie Cox was actually playing Daredevil. i have been mildly in love with him since Stardust (which i still rewatch with regularity)

I was on the fence about watching but now i'm sold

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    i'm going to go watch this in hell's kitchen

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

A powerful business man and crime lord, who wants to control Hell's Kitchen to save it in his twisted mind. Ambitious, charismatic, intelligent, ruthless - with an army of criminals to back him up. Matt will have his hands full stopping him from doing what he wants.

Just wait until he tries to send up raw lamb. Matt will kick him right out of the kitchen.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    @Harry Dresden You're comment in the MCU thread "No spoiler tags." and the OP of "Spoiler free" does not match! I am so confused. Did you leave out "Tags" from the second bit? Change your mind?!?! AHHHH!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    @Harry Dresden You're comment in the MCU thread "No spoiler tags." and the OP of "Spoiler free" does not match! I am so confused. Did you leave out "Tags" from the second bit? Change your mind?!?! AHHHH!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The thread has no spoiler tags.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You are forgiven. This time.

This isn't helping with my 'try and not binge it all in 2 days' idea, though!

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    Have the Arrow/Daredevil cross-over fanfics started yet?

• Options
    The early reviews for this show have been insane.

Also it's TV-MA, so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that mean it's the first R-rated or equivalent MCU thing?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Greeper wrote: »

Also it's TV-MA, so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that mean it's the first R-rated or equivalent MCU thing?

I've heard that's what I means, I don't know if it's true or not. I really hope it's true because I want an R rated Punisher tv show.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Basically, yeah. It's where naked people and copious amounts of blood/gore live.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Also, that's some nice editing and foley work on that fight scene. Can't wait to see the full sequences.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    interesting, I thought that fight scene was kinda weak. If only because for being an MA show, they keep cutting away from the fists and feet showing or making contact like it's a kids cartoon. I sort of expected that white flash to show up whenever contact is actually made.

One thing I'll be paying attention to in the back of my mind is whether Matt will act like he is blind or will just be acting like he can see all along (this is more the actor's intent I guess).

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    interesting, I thought that fight scene was kinda weak. If only because for being an MA show, they keep cutting away from the fists and feet showing or making contact like it's a kids cartoon. I sort of expected that white flash to show up whenever contact is actually made.

One thing I'll be paying attention to in the back of my mind is whether Matt will act like he is blind or will just be acting like he can see all along (this is more the actor's intent I guess).

Charlie Cox talked a lot about working with a legally blind guy to get the feeling of being blind. He paid special attention to where blind people put their eyes when talking to you. He also talked a bit about how Daredevil pretends to be normal blind in public, but around his friends or whatever, you won't see him stumbling over a table because he actually knows where everything is.

Also one of the writers tweeted that on multiple occasions a writer or whatever would say: "Matt sees..." and Charlie Cox would correct them: "Um, no he does not."

• Options

So far the only two bad reviews I've seen are these two, and they mostly just call the show mediocre. Also, for some reason the second one seems to think Daredevil is just a normal blind guy.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Fakefaux wrote: »

So far the only two bad reviews I've seen are these two, and they mostly just call the show mediocre. Also, for some reason the second one seems to think Daredevil is just a normal blind guy.

That Hollywood Reporter reviewer shows his bias by the second overly-long sentence.

... and by the time I finished the review I wonder: 1) How he got a job working for Hollywood Reporter and 2) Why his editor didn't scream at him. That was the worst review I have read in a long time. "Comic book movies and TV shows are dumb, someone should just shoot Daredevil, oh, and watch Banshee or Blacklist!"

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »

I got the total opposite impression. A lot of the cuts were prior to the hits landing, Jackie Chan-style. That final roundhouse kick cuts to a different angle while he's in the motion and is then shown connecting and it looked brutal, whereas lots of fight editing would have placed a cut right at the moment of impact (the fight choreography version of syncing your cuts to the bass drum kicks in music videos) instead of just before it, to make it easier to hide a sloppy execution.

Granted, it's a super short scene, and it looks to be just the very end of a fight, but it makes me think they've got a good handle on making DD's encounters feel pretty visceral. The way the music immediately drops out when Matt collapses was a neat bit of reinforcement to the idea that he is fucking wiped, as one would be after a fistfight.

minor incident on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it starts with Matt grabbing for a chain with a guy lunging at his back with a knife, and those punches he's throwing look like he's slowly throwing everything he has left into each hit, and the final kick leaves him gasping for breath on his back.

It's definitely the end of a fight, probably a fairly involved and tiring fight. This goes back to that reviewer earlier who thinks he's just a 'normal blind guy'. In terms of physical ability, that's basically right. He's not a super human like Rogers, he's just a guy who can fight, but is blind and has extraordinary other senses. Fights are going to tire him out quickly, and it's good they're showing that, kind of like Falcon in Winter Soldier.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah, it starts with Matt grabbing for a chain with a guy lunging at his back with a knife, and those punches he's throwing look like he's slowly throwing everything he has left into each hit, and the final kick leaves him gasping for breath on his back.

It's definitely the end of a fight, probably a fairly involved and tiring fight. This goes back to that reviewer earlier who thinks he's just a 'normal blind guy'. In terms of physical ability, that's basically right. He's not a super human like Rogers, he's just a guy who can fight, but is blind and has extraordinary other senses. Fights are going to tire him out quickly, and it's good they're showing that, kind of like Falcon in Winter Soldier.

In the comics Daredevil is but this isn't the comics. In the comics he retained his senses when the effects of the radiation wore off, due to ninja techniques and he was a ninja adept, like Elektra, people who are born in each generation that are the best in the world at being ninja prodigies. Minus the healing factor Affleck's DD wasn't far off the mark to what comic DD is capable of. I like this uber-realistic Daredevil, it gives him a niche in the MCU as the every-man super-hero like Nolan did for Batman. That scene I'm suspecting was at the end of a fight, I assume he's going to much tougher in fight scenes then what we saw.

edit: In the comics Daredevil routinely tosses heavy gym equipment like nothing to knock out thugs, tosses limos over and uses his strength to open massive safes that have no locks - made by Kingpin himself which he can only open with brute strength, it exhausted him but that he did it. A safe door which has to be in the 1 tonne range in weight. IIRC this is what happened in Miller's first run and in the Man With Fear mini-series he battered a bullet fired at him at point blank range after it was fired while rescuing Elektra from an assassin.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

I've heard that's what I means, I don't know if it's true or not. I really hope it's true because I want an R rated Punisher tv show.

Oh jesus if we could get something based on Ennis' run that'd be amazing.

Just Slavers. Give me fucking Slavers Hollywood machine.

• Options
    In the comics Daredevil is but this isn't the comics. In the comics he retained his senses when the effects of the radiation wore off, due to ninja techniques and he was a ninja adept, like Elektra, people who are born in each generation that are the best in the world at being ninja prodigies. Minus the healing factor Affleck's DD wasn't far off the mark to what comic DD is capable of. I like this uber-realistic Daredevil, it gives him a niche in the MCU as the every-man super-hero like Nolan did for Batman. That scene I'm suspecting was at the end of a fight, I assume he's going to much tougher in fight scenes then what we saw.

edit: In the comics Daredevil routinely tosses heavy gym equipment like nothing to knock out thugs, tosses limos over and uses his strength to open massive safes that have no locks - made by Kingpin himself which he can only open with brute strength, it exhausted him but that he did it. A safe door which has to be in the 1 tonne range in weight. IIRC this is what happened in Miller's first run and in the Man With Fear mini-series he battered a bullet fired at him at point blank range after it was fired while rescuing Elektra from an assassin.

That's the first time I've heard about some of those things. That actually kind of makes me like Daredevil even less as a character.

Frank Castle was right.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Mego Thor wrote: »

That's the first time I've heard about some of those things. That actually kind of makes me like Daredevil even less as a character.

Frank Castle was right.

He's about Batman/Captain America tier, or slightly above - without the exotic equipment. Comic book super-heroes and ninjas, even non-super-powered ones, are the heroes who'd make action heroes look like amateurs. Daredevil's not unique in that regard. Then there's Bullseye and Kingpin himself - the latter was going toe-to-toe with Spider-man physically before moving to Daredevil, and Miller toned down his strength when he did that.

edit: Castle's been written as going hand to hand with him brutally at least once.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

I'm good if it's darker, grittier, and maybe a bit more violent than the usual Marvel fare...however, I hope TV-MA doesn't mean constant F-bombs, and gratuitous nudity and/or Gore. That would make me a lot less likely to watch it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I'm good if it's darker, grittier, and maybe a bit more violent than the usual Marvel fare...however, I hope TV-MA doesn't mean constant F-bombs, and gratuitous nudity and/or Gore. That would make me a lot less likely to watch it.

There was one review I read that said the majority of it is violence; the strongest expletive they heard was"shit" and the only nudity was a shot of side-boob. As for the severity of the gore, it sounds like the two worst cases were a decapitation and somebody getting stabbed in the eye. Keep in mind, of course, that the reviewers only saw the first five episodes.

Fakefaux on
  • Options

Frank Castle was right.

He's about Batman/Captain America tier, or slightly above - without the exotic equipment. Comic book super-heroes and ninjas, even non-super-powered ones, are the heroes who'd make action heroes look like amateurs. Daredevil's not unique in that regard. Then there's Bullseye and Kingpin himself - the latter was going toe-to-toe with Spider-man physically before moving to Daredevil, and Miller toned down his strength when he did that.

Matt spent most of his points on Radar Sense, and put whatever was left in Fighting. I know that Kingpin is up there with Spider-man when it comes to strength, but I've never considered Daredevil to be anywhere close to that.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Pretty much all comic book heroes who are theoretically normal humans end up doing things that are superhuman. It's just part of the over-the-top nature of the genre. This includes the Punisher.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Frank Castle was right.

Matt spent most of his points on Radar Sense, and put whatever was left in Fighting.

The comics say otherwise. My examples were strictly limited to what I remember from Miller's comics, there's more that I'm forgetting. Cap's the same, the comics version makes his movie counterpart look weak. Batman's healed from getting a sword run through him and his back broken. He captured several villains like the Joker in Knightfall with a massive cold/flu in exhausting bouts without stopping for days. He was tired when he got home, but enough to try and fight back against Bane. Which is impressive that he didn't go to sleep for hours right after getting home.

edit: A regular villain of his is Mr. Hyde, who throws cars on his weakest formula and he's defeated the Absorbing Man and Titania with his bare hands. There's also Bullseye. Elektra is even more awesome in martial arts than DD is.
    I know that Kingpin is up there with Spider-man when it comes to strength, but I've never considered Daredevil to be anywhere close to that.

Daredevil isn't. He's still incredibly powerful as an elite super-hero/comic book ninja. Lifting a tonne isn't what I'd consider unusual for his strength, and that's without going into his reflexes, speed or exotic ninja abilities. He's like a mini-Iron Fist in a red suit.

edit: Spider-man lifts up train trolleys like they're children's toys.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    There are 13 ~1 hour long episodes, right?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    There are 13 ~1 hour long episodes, right?

Yep!