As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daredevil] is a Man Without A Tv Show

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    So the red suit has been (partially) revealed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgwjB2uzFHw

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    There are 13 ~1 hour long episodes, right?

Yep!

Welp, so much for finishing Persona 3 Portable this weekend.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It actually looks pretty fantastic.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I am so happy. that this has Deborah Ann Woll.

that's all I'm saying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    AV Club didn't seem to care for it much, saying it was too quiet and slow, even though it has a good cast. But I disagree with them as often as not, so whatevs.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Lordy, that Hollywood Reporter review.

"I don't like this show because Daredevil is a big dumb with no powers and I would just shoot him. Why you such a big dumb, Daredevil?

In summary, more like Dumbdevil.

Woo Blacklist."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

"I don't like this show because Daredevil is a big dumb with no powers and I would just shoot him. Why you such a big dumb, Daredevil?

Woo Blacklist."

I see now where all the games journalists have gone.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This is Ancient Earth's most confusing show. Why does not Kingpin, as the largest character, simply not eat the others?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Woo Blacklist."

I see now where all the games journalists have gone.

there really is no qualification necessary to be a journalist on the internet

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    AV Club didn't seem to care for it much, saying it was too quiet and slow, even though it has a good cast. But I disagree with them as often as not, so whatevs.

Even some of the positive reviews have said it's a bit slow.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Woo Blacklist."

What's weird is that he liked Arrow, despite thinking it was terrible but entertaining and thought SHIELD was ok.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/agents-shield-tv-review-632539

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/arrow-tv-review-375856

Melinda May and Arrow vs guns didn't warrant a mention.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Even some of the positive reviews have said it's a bit slow.

Of course, the press screeners have only included the first 5 episodes, which I would expect to be a bit slower as it ramps up towards the end of the season.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't mind a slow burn as long as there's a payoff at the end.

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Alan Sepinwall gave it a pretty great review: hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-netflixs-daredevil-quickly-moves-to-the-top-of-the-tv-superhero-heap

I trust Alan Sepinwall way more than the Hollywood Reporter or AV Club, so I am definately excited, plus I work the 4-midnight shift so I will get home just in time to start watching tonight.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I wonder if Sepinwall is poking fun at the Hollywood Reporter reviewer...:
    (On occasion, you may wonder why someone doesn't just shoot him, but there are enough instances of people trying and failing to do it that you should be able to suspend your disbelief.)

Sepinwall is probably my favorite reviewer, although I don't read many. I usually seek out his recaps during Game of Thrones seasons.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I wonder if Sepinwall is poking fun at the Hollywood Reporter reviewer...:
    (On occasion, you may wonder why someone doesn't just shoot him, but there are enough instances of people trying and failing to do it that you should be able to suspend your disbelief.)

Sepinwall is probably my favorite reviewer, although I don't read many. I usually seek out his recaps during Game of Thrones seasons.

I follow both Sepinwall and Tim Goodman (who wrote the Hollywood Reporter piece) on twitter, and they had a little bit of an exchange about their feelings on the show. Goodman is a notorious crank even by critic standards (his twitter handle is @bastardmachine, which tells you most of what you need to know right up front), but he's more willing to break from the general critical consensus than most, in both positive and negative ways, which I respect. I got the sense that his pan of Daredevil was based as much on superhero fatigue than anything else, which IMO is totally understandable - even as a fan of the genre in general I've been overwhelmed by the recent flood of comics shows. Sepinwall's definitely much more of a comics guy, though, so in this case I tend to trust his judgment more.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Spider-Man beat Kingpin easily in Back in Black with almost no effort whatsoever.

Thankfully some writers aren't a fan of the exaggerated strength some people have given Fisk in some stories.

Like Spidey said, he's just a fat guy in a suit. And theres nothing wrong with that.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Spidey's strength is actually on a ridiculous level. He's just a bit of a wimp and not fond of hitting people so hard that their head's burst. I remember in Superior Spider-Man (when Octavius was in Peter's body), Otto punched a guy really goddamn hard and just suddenly realised "Holy shit, Spider-Man could have killed me at like any fucking second. He just didn't want to.".

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Spider-Man beat Kingpin easily in Back in Black with almost no effort whatsoever.

Thankfully some writers aren't a fan of the exaggerated strength some people have given Fisk in some stories.

Like Spidey said, he's just a fat guy in a suit. And theres nothing wrong with that.

Spidey wasn't always that strong, his strength capacity has continually escalated to the point where Kingpin isn't a physical threat to him. When Kingpin was a regular rogue they had matches which were fairly even in strength, in those days he'd take a hay maker from Spidey with Pete's full strength behind it and laugh it off. Kingpin's also gotten weaker over time, in DD's comics they toned down his power considerably - otherwise he'd have murdered Daredevil the first time they fought. He's been getting weaker in the modern era too - Bendis era Kingpin is a shade of the Kingpin from Miller's. That guy lifting a tonne like nothing, though that strength is meek to Spider-man.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Strength/Powers/Intelligence with either vary wildly with every writer.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Goddamn I'm so looking forward to this though. I'm wondering how long I can binge before I pass out though.

God I love Netflix's release schedule policy.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Strength/Powers/Intelligence with either vary wildly with every writer.

Yeah, but there are general limits that are consistent. Excluding writers who ignore past continuity.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Not liking the look of the red suit there too much but will wait to see in action.

Hopefully it will make it in before the last two episodes or so.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Apparently this is the show's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKSip7nZBzw

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    I'm glad they got to do a slow burn if that's what they really wanted. Netflix just let them do what they want and sometimes, you know, that's just a good damn thing.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I dig the DD suit, but the cowl needs to be red too, get rid of the black in it. Unless they go all black and use that awesome black armor from the 90's.

Maybe if Matt would shave his shitty granola beard it would look better too. What is this guy, blind hipster justice lawyer? I mean, this is supposed to be Charlie Cox not Charlie Day, I'm Automatically on Kingpin's side.

• Options
    When does Netflix launch the show tomorrow?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    When does Netflix launch the show tomorrow?

I believe it goes up at midnight, pacific time

• Options
    So what you're saying is I'm not getting any sleep tonight.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Not sure if posted but this new costume was leaked
    rs_560x415_150409083917_1024_daredevil_costume_l.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Not sure if posted but this new costume was leaked
    rs_560x415_150409083917_1024_daredevil_costume_l.jpg

video at the top of the page, but that still gives a much better look at it. looks very good to me.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Recommended comic runs for Daredevil fans and newbies who are intrigued: Frank Miller's (including his Man Without Fear mini-series), Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker - which is chronologically occuring immediately after Bendis. The transition is seamless. Also Mark Waid's.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    is it here yet ._.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    is it here yet ._.

40 minutes PST.

• Options
    is it here yet ._.

40 minutes PST.

Wait, is it coming midnight eastern or pacific?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    It's always going to be PST. It'll never change.

So 3.5 hours.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    That sounds like Eastern!

Edit: Is it within the hour or 3.5 hours?! :(

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    is it here yet ._.

40 minutes PST.

Wait, is it coming midnight eastern or pacific?

I thought it was pacific.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Don't watch the show, tweet instead!