As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A new Bloodborne threa-ah fuck I died

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    bloodadolescence

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    space odin

or should I say, space odeon

the sky and the cosmos are one

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Oh boy oh boy. Everything in the cathedral ward area just got weird and awesome but I don't know why

This game: rules

• Options
    oh my god

I read some spoilers about a new weapon & oath rune combo

aaaaaaaahhhhh i need it

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Ludwig's is a monster if you're doing a quality build (str and dex)

I thought Ludwig's scaled off of str and arcane

• Options
    ludwig's scales off str and skill at the same time (both B at +10) for physical damage

ludwig's alternatively can scale off arcane (A at +10) if an elemental gem (fire%, bolt% or arcane%) is used instead of physical gems

• Options
    so arcane scaling doesn't go into effect unless you have an elemental gem on it? good to know!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I need to beat this eventually.

I could never get used to Ludwig's

It's swings seem to have too much recovery time for me.

Which is weird cause I finally beat Amelia with the damn kirkhammer.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    so arcane scaling doesn't go into effect unless you have an elemental gem on it? good to know!

for most weapons this holds true.

logarius wheel scales off str and arcane in its trick form (and the arcane scaling increases when you use its wind up function at the cost of health)

tonitrus scales off str and arcane (bolt) in both forms, with the trick mode giving it a S in Arcane and multipliers to bolt dmg

Blade of Mercy and Burial Blade have inate split damage physical and arcane, and cannot be modified with fire or bolt gems

Reiterpallasch and Rifle Spear have physical and blood (their gun functions) dmg, the former is bugged that you can't gem it with elemental gems but its not clear if that's intentional (maybe it was fixed this patch never checked)

Chikage I think 1h can be converted to arcane, but its trick form is always bloodtinge

IDK about any of the dlc stuff yet except that the Bowblade is a split weapon like BoM and BB, and I think the exploding hammer might be str/arcane.

• Options

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

• Options
    for more info on arcane builds, check this out

The Arcanist: An Enormous Guide to Arcane-ing in Bloodborne (reddit link)

The only out of date parts of it are the Augur of Ebrietas info (which got a hefty buff this patch - it can now parry/backstab and its damage is much higher), and there's some scuttlebutt about what blood gems are the best now that's still working itself out but that's a end game chalice level issue, not so much a problem when you're leveling.

I recommend using one of the Saw weapons or Ludwigs, get the Fire Waning gem from after Bloodstarved Beast and then burn all the things with your fire arcane weapon.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Naphtali wrote: »
    for more info on arcane builds, check this out

The Arcanist: An Enormous Guide to Arcane-ing in Bloodborne (reddit link)

The only out of date parts of it are the Augur of Ebrietas info (which got a hefty buff this patch - it can now parry/backstab and its damage is much higher), and there's some scuttlebutt about what blood gems are the best now that's still working itself out but that's a end game chalice level issue, not so much a problem when you're leveling.

I recommend using one of the Saw weapons or Ludwigs, get the Fire Waning gem from after Bloodstarved Beast and then burn all the things with your fire arcane weapon.

reddit is blocked but how should I gem the tonitrus for an arcane build? just pump bolt or should I add phys? or can I go fire with that too?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    if you put the elemental gem in your sword and gain arcane scaling, do you give up str/dex scaling in trade?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    tonitrus works well with just using physical gems and pumping your arcane stat since its split damage. You wont be able to get good bolt or attack up% gems for it until late chalice dungeon exploring anyways, so until then physical or plain attack up% gems (which buff all damage types) will do you good

you may have to rely on the trick mode more than you'd like though, since that will take the most use out of your points in arcane

edit: on my farthest along arcane character I'm at defiled chalice, I'm using a fire saw spear with all fire% gems farmed from earlier chalices and a tonitrus with physical or attack up% gems. I'm saving my blood rock for that holy moonlight sword from the DLC...

Naphtali on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    if you put the elemental gem in your sword and gain arcane scaling, do you give up str/dex scaling in trade?

Yeah.

• Options
    I was gunna try for the platinum today, but I don't really feel like save scumming to get the last two ending cheevs. Plus, I don't have a usb drive. Instead I'm gunna do some coop for Vermin and maybe two level 5 runs in the hopes of getting a couple more rocks.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    You don't need to get the crazy chalice gems for Tonitrus. A high strength and 25 arcane build will shred most bosses just fine.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    You don't need to get the crazy chalice gems for Tonitrus. A high strength and 25 arcane build will shred most bosses just fine.

I don't have high str I have high arcane

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you done fucked up

(arcane should be a lot better with old hunter weapons and runes)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    high str builds are dull.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I was gunna try for the platinum today, but I don't really feel like save scumming to get the last two ending cheevs. Plus, I don't have a usb drive. Instead I'm gunna do some coop for Vermin and maybe two level 5 runs in the hopes of getting a couple more rocks.

Don't need a usb drive to get the ending achievements that way. Just get right before the end, save your game, force an upload to PS+. Finish the game. Redownload the cloud save, get another ending. There you go. That's how I got all 3 ending achievements on the same playthrough, because I wasn't going to play through the game 3 separate times just for achievements.

• Options
    tonitrus is perfectly fine with 12 str and decent arcane. you're still getting the physical damage in both forms and transformed you get S scaling in arcane

the big drawback being that the tonitrus' durability will decline much faster in the transformed state, I only break it out for enemies with bolt-weakenss or tough enemies.

• Options
    tonitrus is perfectly fine with 12 str and decent arcane. you're still getting the physical damage in both forms and transformed you get S scaling in arcane

the big drawback being that the tonitrus' durability will decline much faster in the transformed state, I only break it out for enemies with bolt-weakenss or tough enemies.

I'll try that and throw my cursed fire gem on my Ludwig's. if I use both +bolt and +phys on the tonitrus will they both help?

• Options
    At the end of today I'll have 50 in every damage stat and 40 in both vit and endurance

Plus around 80 blood stone chunks, and 3 (hopefully 5) blood rocks

Should put me in a good spot for the DLC at midnight. :-D

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I'll try that and throw my cursed fire gem on my Ludwig's. if I use both +bolt and +phys on the tonitrus will they both help?

Yes, you can use a mix of phys and bolt gems on tonitrus. For me I had better physical & nourishing/all attack up gems so they were better than whatever bolts I had. Though now i'm rethinking that one of the waning bolt% gems I have might be better to use due to the transformed mode's buff damage formula (the buff adds +40 Flat Bolt Attack; changes your arcane to 1.4x Arcane (S+); 1.7x Bolt Attack which scales up any bolt% you have).

• Options
    i got like 40 arcane, and like 30 strength, and 25 skill. hopefully i will be able to make great use out of the moonlight great sword

• Options
    That's odd. Ive killed Rom and yet Amelia is alive

Did the DLC reset her?

Maybe I took the glitched shortcut to Forgotten Woods on this character...

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Okay I caved and watched videos of all the new bosses.
    They're rad as fuck.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'll probably start a new character for the dlc. Someone go play a bunch and find all the new weapons and then tell me what build I should go for

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    this game is a lot harder than i remember.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    DLC is live. I'm a tad over leveled at 140, but I had a tough time in some encounters.

early spoiler
    I was certain that picking up that item would awaken the fire boss. Nice bit of making the player worried.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    DLC is live. I'm a tad over leveled at 140, but I had a tough time in some encounters.

early spoiler
    I was certain that picking up that item would awaken the fire boss. Nice bit of making the player worried.

they love to play with this particular expectation

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    at level 100 i don't think i should be doing the dlc area, everything seems ot kill me in a few hits, but then it seems everything kills me fairly quickly.

• Options
    Killed the first boss helping someone else, then tried it solo a few dozen times. I feel confident I could kill it with enough time but I'm kinda uninterested in banging my head tonight. Gunna search for some help then give it another go. I want his weapon. Bad.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    This is hard as balls on NG+ and 100 insight. Church cthulu just ate 100k souls.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I need to see the weapon:
    gatling gun
    in action
    NEED

edit:

Peas on
  • Options
    zoned into the DLC zone even though I havent finished base game yet... GIVE ME ALL OF THOSE WEAPONS

i got one before getting summarily whacked

• Options
    zoned into the DLC zone even though I havent finished base game yet... GIVE ME ALL OF THOSE WEAPONS

i got one before getting summarily whacked

yeah, its probably harder than the final area of the regular game imo

I played through the first area of the DLC and explored it throughly. there's so much stuff!
    two different hunters and a blood-starved beast as a regular enemy! cool

I managed to beat the first boss in one go but I'm overleveled for DLC NG+1. Took me twenty vials though, I kind of brute forced the second phase because I couldn't figure out openings to engage except for one attack.

• Options
    i died my most dark souls death to date

stumbling through the second half of forbidden woods... spot a couple of those snake monsters (the bigger ones) in a ravine... spend a good 30-40 seconds scoping out the area, debating whether or not I want to just plunge attack them... get ready to make my move, then another snake beast come up from behind pushes me into the ravine with a haymaker and I die in < 1 second

most excellent. they HAD to have planned it that way, because the environment is as such that you are drawn to never bother to look the other way first

DLC weapon note
    not sure if I like the heavy whip or not... its effective area isn't as big as its animation looks. you still have to get pretty damn close to get a full spread of damage. its barely larger than Ludwig's sword radius :/