As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

j[chat]awala

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    but also yeah that

what good is a message going to do really

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I was super bummed out about not getting to see the friends I usually only see around christmas times this christmas

I don't text or call them the rest of the year

but I love it when I meet them and we have a great time and fall right back into the old ways from being around each other all the time

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    If I had to send a message that was more than meaningless fluff (which is ultimately more insulting than the more complex understanding that comes with silence) to maintain all my friendships and acquaintances there would be way too much time dedicated to that

I spent several hours on the phone today talking to three people!

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    You guys should try just not having any friends like me it makes things so much simpler!

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Wash wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    "We were just talking about how much we miss you."

Person hasn't messaged me in 7 months.

This is how I am to everyone, but I really do miss them!

Maybe I'm a little aggravated by this, but man I would totally love to hear an explanation for why so many people have such a hard time initiating contact.

Like, when I miss someone, when someone pops into my head and I wonder what they're up to, I message them. A lot of people don't seem to do this!

It gets really tiring being the guy who always starts the conversation. Saying you miss someone when at any time all you need to do is send them a text just seems like a really shallow interpretation of the word.

it's hard to just send a text sometimes

Yes, but I'm talking about every time.

For me it's every time.

Can you help me understand why?

depression

I also live with depression. It affects many aspects of my life, but not this way.

And this vexes me, because often when I am acutely depressed, the fact that there are people in my life who won't say boo unless I go first feels terrible. It is just the worst.

But if I'm pushing too much for an answer that isn't out there than I guess I'll just drop it. I just don't think this is a thing where you can go "depression" and expect it to be a sufficient response.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    "non funziona molto bene" was what my dad always said when something was totally fucked

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I have a friend from college who took it super personally and imagined sleights when his friends weren't in constant contact with him. It was fucking exhausting. Everything he wanted to say was relentlessly cheery too and I was liek omg if I don't respond to your nothing text right away it doesn't mean I hate you but if you keep bitching about it I will soon

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @OnTheLastCastle @Shazkar Shadowstorm

So I basically made this today.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/perfect-pot-roast-recipe.html

Make it.

It is so good. And I have like 3 meals minimum out of a 2lb roast.

nice @mazzyx ... i did not buy any groceries and instead ate out twice and i am too tired to get groceries now fuck it

poo
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Maybe I'm a little aggravated by this, but man I would totally love to hear an explanation for why so many people have such a hard time initiating contact.

Like, when I miss someone, when someone pops into my head and I wonder what they're up to, I message them. A lot of people don't seem to do this!

It gets really tiring being the guy who always starts the conversation. Saying you miss someone when at any time all you need to do is send them a text just seems like a really shallow interpretation of the word.

For me it's every time.

depression

I also live with depression. It affects many aspects of my life, but not this way.

And this vexes me, because often when I am acutely depressed, the fact that there are people in my life who won't say boo unless I go first feels terrible. It is just the worst.

But if I'm pushing too much for an answer that isn't out there than I guess I'll just drop it. I just don't think this is a thing where you can go "depression" and expect it to be a sufficient response.

well people pointed out a better reason: A lot of people don't really see the point in just sending a random text

it's not really a cure for missing someone

and, shit, little is worse in a fading friendship than the "we should totally hang out!" exchanged whenever you bump into each other once in a blue moon. Or when it's not a fading friendship, a text is basically "Hello! We can't hang out but that'd be great! Okay!"

But as for why someone doesn't text you even when they kinda want to

depression

I don't know how it can vex you. For some arcane reason, something incredibly simple and easy to do, something beyond trivial, becomes impossible to actually make yourself do. It's just that. Just about going "hello" out of nowhere. It's no different than any other case where that happens, really.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I find corresponding with someone can take a huge amount of mental effort for me sometimes.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I had some broth 2 hours ago and I've kept it down so far

first food since friday evening

success!

also I am craving applebee's nachos now

• Options
    Ok I'm going to curl into a ball and get all hot and bothered over outlander now instead of sending a thousand catch up messages to friends I haven't been keeping in touch with

Sorry friends but Jamie Fraser's perfectly sculpted butt takes priority

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    If I had to send a message that was more than meaningless fluff (which is ultimately more insulting than the more complex understanding that comes with silence) to maintain all my friendships and acquaintances there would be way too much time dedicated to that

I spent several hours on the phone today talking to three people!

i used to get so much anxiety about feeling that i needed to be in constant contact with people in order to maintain friendships or fear losing them or somehow letting them wither away
    constantly needing to know what people were up to esp thanks to inter/over-connected lives we lead
    and that tied in with anxiety about people not responding to texts etc
    etc etc

i worked thru that a lot recently in last 6 months with much self reflection and also discussing in therapy

i'm much more at peace

people's lives are busy you ain't know what they got going on or what's going on in their lives/heads

i have many thoughts on this since it was/is a big thing for me but

i do not feel like typing much i am tired

poo
  • Options
    also grats hakks

poo
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    skipples are you dying

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    skipples are you dying

aren't we all tho

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    i mean cuz wash i very much was like u in the feel the need to initiate random convos with people who i ain't spoken to in a bit but idk not everyone thinks that way and worrying about it too much fux with your head and

i dunno

literally took months for me to work through this all

poo
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I find corresponding with someone can take a huge amount of mental effort for me sometimes.

I find it's really stressful to start a conversation specifically for the purpose of small talk, especially when you haven't seen someone in awhile.

It's like "Hey, I just called to randomly blabber for awhile because I like you" and omg what the fuck do you even say?

• Options
    skipples are you dying

it seems likely

to desc, I bequeath my electronic comic books and whichever child he prefers

• Options
    if somebody doesn't hear from me for days I don't know what they're imagining is the reason

but I'm totally sure they're imagining it being for better and less stupid reasons

sometimes I'm kind of in a pit, sure

but I've always just had times where I'm simply enjoying the company of myself

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    also grats hakks

Thx shaz I appreciated your text this morning

fyi I pooped before the run

Porta potties were of comparative high quality and in significant quantities to allow for relatively ungross pre-race evacuation. I approved. Other races take note. Do not skimp on the fucking porta potties.

• Options
    ehhh fuck my diet i'll get back on it soon

poo
  • Options
    skipples are you dying

it seems likely

to desc, I bequeath my electronic comic books and whichever child he prefers

Can I get the other one

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Also Hakkes I told you that you would kick the races ass. Grats.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

For me it's every time.

depression

well people pointed out a better reason: A lot of people don't really see the point in just sending a random text

and, shit, little is worse in a fading friendship than the "we should totally hang out!" exchanged whenever you bump into each other once in a blue moon.

depression

I don't know how it can vex you. For some arcane reason, something incredibly simple and easy to do, something beyond trivial, becomes impossible to actually make yourself do. It's just that. Just about going "hello" out of nowhere. It's no different than any other case where that happens, really.

The obligatory "we should totally hang out!" is super awkward. It's not going to happen. Both parties know it. Neither party is especially bothered by it.

And I guess I am being a bit thick.

So here is a picture of a guy dressed up as Bob Ross on a surfboard as a means to end this conversation chain.

tumblr_nf1zg4ZkZ81u1skj6o1_1280.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    skippy do i get nothing

NOTHING

poo
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I have a friend from college who took it super personally and imagined sleights when his friends weren't in constant contact with him. It was fucking exhausting. Everything he wanted to say was relentlessly cheery too and I was liek omg if I don't respond to your nothing text right away it doesn't mean I hate you but if you keep bitching about it I will soon

I used to be like this. I decided that that was a terrible way to live. Instead, I just don't expect anything from anyone anymore at all. I walk a lonely road - the only one that I have ever known. Don't know where it goes, but its home to me and I walk alone. I walk this empty street on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams, where the city sleeps and I'm the only one. I walk alone.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    just starting a conversation, not in person, for no other purpose than to have a conversation, is either kind of taxing - like, what the fuck are we even going to talk about

or it's with an old friend instead of somebody I'd like to sleep with and then it's just a profoundly idiotic conversation. Which is nice, tho.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Ay nerds, help me decide which Lego building to get.

Palace Cinema
    latest?cb=20130120090225

This is the oldest one on offer, and will probably disappear this year if I don't get it, but I dunno. It's not as cool as the other two...

Parisian Restaurant
    1082131817.jpeg

This one just classy.

Detective's Office
    Lego_DetectivesOffice_ModularBuilding_Set.jpg

This one is 2 small buildings together, and they're so niiiiiice.

HALP

Palace Cinema. Hands down, no question.

I have one question, actually.

How is your recommendation not Detective's Office?

Because the Palace Cinema is prettier.

• Options
    You know how people say "I read so much for college it just makes me really not want to read fiction or books I don't have to read"

I'm guessing that since most of our jobs consists of a lot of professional communication through emails and phones these days it just seems like work to be always communicating outside of that context

At least that's my theory

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Who do we need to sacrifice to save skippy? On an unrelated note, any virgins around?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

For me it's every time.

depression

and, shit, little is worse in a fading friendship than the "we should totally hang out!" exchanged whenever you bump into each other once in a blue moon.

depression

The obligatory "we should totally hang out!" is super awkward. It's not going to happen. Both parties know it. Neither party is especially bothered by it.

And I guess I am being a bit thick.

So here is a picture of a guy dressed up as Bob Ross on a surfboard as a means to end this conversation chain.

tumblr_nf1zg4ZkZ81u1skj6o1_1280.jpg

nah you're not being thick I'm just way too knackered for long phrasings

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    skippy do i get nothing

NOTHING

look I'm not doing a full reading of the will here

y'all will have to gather together like in a movie to hear my wacky stipulations

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    just starting a conversation, not in person, for no other purpose than to have a conversation, is either kind of taxing - like, what the fuck are we even going to talk about

or it's with an old friend instead of somebody I'd like to sleep with and then it's just a profoundly idiotic conversation. Which is nice, tho.

I start every conversation with "DTF?"

It's awkward sometimes, like when it's with my manager at work but whatever or I'm texting my father but whatever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also Hakkes I told you that you would kick the races ass. Grats.

Ugh fine you get an awesome for being right but know that I resent you for it

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I got some spicy chicken on advice of a d-league center that was random

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    skippy there is a picture of sawyer on his tumblr with a twig for a wand and I loled and wanted to post it in chat

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I got some spicy chicken on advice of a d-league center that was random

totes jelly right now

• Options
    skippy there is a picture of sawyer on his tumblr with a twig for a wand and I loled and wanted to post it in chat

Omg plz skippy plz pls plx

• Options

fukkin sprogs

Zldr0XRl.jpg

(this kid needs a haircut bad)

This discussion has been closed.