As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2015 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    the problem with a trading spot is that it assumes you have more than one copy. if you get one bag (per regulations), you won't have any duplicates to trade out.

You would only get dupes if you had multiple bags or multiple people sharing

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Beker wrote: »
    One bag might have a blue Magic starter box and another bag might have a red one, but functionally they are all the same every day. Please do NOT take multiple swag bags, that is how we run out. They also do have an allotment for each day, so if\when they run out Friday, you can try again later in the weekend..

Then please do not allow random Cards Against Humanity packs in the swag bags. When you have a collectible set with rare cards, there is literally no way to trade into a full set starting at only 1 pack. In 2013 this led people taking as many bags as they could grab, dumping everything non-CAH out (often on the ground) then going back for more. Until there is a way to enforce one bag per person, actual value in swag bags will lead to this. I'm calling out CAH, but things like LoL skins would fall into the same category.

I'll say this, some folks at east a couple of years back had a brilliant idea for the collectible issue- for the CAH cards, they actually had a trading post set up so folks could swap out their duplicates etc.- especially since the little collectible packs were ALSO able to be picked up at the CAH table (since it wasn't on the expo hall floor, but at the kickstarter lounge, I think)- so folks with duplicates could swap them out for the ones they didn't have. My friends and I greatly appreciated this
    People eventually did this at Prime last year, but not until the final day. Before then it was just a constant trashing of the swag bag room with empty bags and tossed ads all over the floor, not even in the garbage. It'd be great if a few spare Enforcers could encourage people to form a trading spot on the first day, if they're aware that what's in the bags may lead to that kind of issue again. It was really pretty gross to see, but of course that's how it turned out with CAH still being so hot and an exclusive expansion.

Last year Prime did not have any CAH cards in the swag bags. The year before (2013) there was a table set up just outside the Queue room where people would place their extra cards so people could trade each day. I was able to get a complete set this way.

Going forward I doubt we will see CAH in the swags bags anymore. They seem to be focusing on other promotions such as renting out the ACT to provide custom cards.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »
    the problem with a trading spot is that it assumes you have more than one copy. if you get one bag (per regulations), you won't have any duplicates to trade out.

You would only get dupes if you had multiple bags or multiple people sharing

Not necessarily true. I know its hard to believe, but there are plenty of people who don't care about CAH. in 2013 a couple friends gave me their packs because they didn't play CAH.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    ShionShion Queen of the Whiteboard Markers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    How early can we wait in line for a panel or autograph session?

• Options
    angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    Is there a bag check anywhere? Ever?

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Shion wrote: »
    Typically, lines are allowed to start no more than 2 hours ahead of time.

There hasn't been one at Prime, thus far. That's not to say one couldn't be requested on an individual, as needed basis by venue security or SPD if they feel it is warranted/needed.

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    I'm glad the schedule app is out, but it's confusing/disappointing that the panels don't list the actual panelists scheduled to be there. That's pretty important in deciding whether I want to go to certain ones.

Hopefully it gets updated later.

• Options
    Steel Fire wrote: »

There hasn't been one at Prime, thus far. That's not to say one couldn't be requested on an individual, as needed basis by venue security or SPD if they feel it is warranted/needed.

Well my checkout on sunday is at noon, my flight is at midnight. I need somewhere to stash luggage until the flight. Suggestions?

• Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular

Well my checkout on sunday is at noon, my flight is at midnight. I need somewhere to stash luggage until the flight. Suggestions?

I would check with your hotel. Most of them will hold your bag for you after you check out (or if you arrive before check in).

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    jukkakhan wrote: »

I would check with your hotel. Most of them will hold your bag for you after you check out (or if you arrive before check in).

I'll try that. Or I'll try taking it to the airport and checking it in early then coming back xD;

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

jukkakhan wrote: »

I'll try that. Or I'll try taking it to the airport and checking it in early then coming back xD;

Airport checkins seem to typically start 4 hours or so before the flight. But it might be airline/airport specific so you should check ahead. And some have verbiage about "the day before". Which might be read as "if I have a 12:01 flight, I can't check my bags at all". In short, look it up.

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular

Oh... my bad, I misunderstood. No, there isn't that kind of bag check at Prime. I thought you meant security bag checks, like there are at East.

Do what jukkakhan said. The hotels are good about holding bags for you if you have a later flight. Also, as YoungFrey stated, the airlines won't let you check bags more than 3-4 hours ahead of time for a flight; it's a security and logistics thing.

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I know we don't have a queue room this year for the Expo Hall, but I'm looking at the Guidebook maps and trying to figure out where are we supposed to line up this year. Is this just outside the main doors going into the the WSCC? Or do we go in and up the escalators and kinda crowd around the Expo Hall doors? I was surprised last year by the WSCC main doors being open and not controlled (1st time on Prime), unlike Pax East where the badge checking starts before you can even walk in.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    I was surprised last year by the WSCC main doors being open and not controlled (1st time on Prime), unlike Pax East where the badge checking starts before you can even walk in.

That's because the WSCC has public areas (first floor, Juicy Cafe on 2F, Subway and Tully's on 4F, access to Freeway Park). At the BCEC, it's all PAX.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I know we don't have a queue room this year for the Expo Hall, but I'm looking at the Guidebook maps and trying to figure out where are we supposed to line up this year. Is this just outside the main doors going into the the WSCC? Or do we go in and up the escalators and kinda crowd around the Expo Hall doors? I was surprised last year by the WSCC main doors being open and not controlled (1st time on Prime), unlike Pax East where the badge checking starts before you can even walk in.

Confusing this, there is a queue room listed on the map:
    cb0ba6a2-3cad-11e5-a70c-0eee8ffd3825.png
    But I think that is probably the queue just for the adjacent theater.

The official PAX word on where line is is:
    So… where do you line up to get in the convention center? That’s a great question! We’ll have two primary “entrances” running simultaneously in the morning – One will be the Convention Center (head to the main entrance on Pike and building staff will direct you where to go), and the other will be at the Annex. BOTH will be let into the show at 10 AM sharp, so you can go to either location in the morning.
    But of course people always did that too, so the crowds outside will be intense. And I hope they have a lot of Enforcers.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Confusing this, there is a queue room listed on the map:
    cb0ba6a2-3cad-11e5-a70c-0eee8ffd3825.png
    But I think that is probably the queue just for the adjacent theater.

The official PAX word on where line is is:
    So… where do you line up to get in the convention center? That’s a great question! We’ll have two primary “entrances” running simultaneously in the morning – One will be the Convention Center (head to the main entrance on Pike and building staff will direct you where to go), and the other will be at the Annex. BOTH will be let into the show at 10 AM sharp, so you can go to either location in the morning.
    But of course people always did that too, so the crowds outside will be intense. And I hope they have a lot of Enforcers.

Thanks, I will probably just follow the crowd then.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options

My guess is they will have us line up outside in Freeway Park which has been used for early line ups in the past. The park is just outside the doors from the atrium lobby on level 4.
    This will be a learning experience for everyone involved, but if they had us line up outside the main doors it seams like it would be a huge hassle to get everyone through the public space and up the escalators.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

My guess is they will have us line up outside in Freeway Park which has been used for early line ups in the past. The park is just outside the doors from the atrium lobby on level 4.
    This will be a learning experience for everyone involved, but if they had us line up outside the main doors it seams like it would be a huge hassle to get everyone through the public space and up the escalators.

lets hope we have good weather :)

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    At South, one of the Enforcers made a skirt out of lanyards, they had so very many.

This enforcer (I can't remember her name) was so popular and good at her job that she had a thread devoted to her on these forums post-show!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Haha, yeah, that was @omega!

• Options
    DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular
    How is that enforced? I figured that the Acquisitions Inc line would start getting big at 6 when the expo hall closes, but that's 2.5 hours before it starts at 8:30. Or is that an exception?

• Options
    How is that enforced? I figured that the Acquisitions Inc line would start getting big at 6 when the expo hall closes, but that's 2.5 hours before it starts at 8:30. Or is that an exception?

If something is very popular the line will form whether or not Enforcers let it, and that has caused some problems in the past.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    BunktaviousBunktavious Registered User regular
    I think it was two years ago, the Gearbox panel had people lined up outside the hotel waiting to get inside to lineup. Even after they let them in, the lineup went around the block. The joys of free giveaways.

• Options
    forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think it was two years ago, the Gearbox panel had people lined up outside the hotel waiting to get inside to lineup. Even after they let them in, the lineup went around the block. The joys of free giveaways.

What kind of things were they giving away?

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular

What kind of things were they giving away?

If I remember correctly they gave Borderlands item crates full of Borderlands loot to all BL cosplayers. They also handed out BL dlc codes and steam codes for some other game I don't remember.

• Options

That was in 2012 and part of that was because there was not a plan in place for how popular the Gearbox panel was (everyone knew it was going to be huge since they set the "free stuff" precedent). The Enforcers were treating it like a normal panel where people could not line up until the preceding panel line had been let in. This caused lots of people to crowd the door outside the Sheraton since there was no official line, while many others hung around the area upstairs outside of the panel trying to jump the line.
    Once the line was officially opened it was a free for all to line up. Even after the line was capped there were still people waiting outside to go up the escalators to just be told the line was full.

Then after the panel, Gearbox said they would do a signing and the Enforcers tried to shut it down since there really wasn't room.

Good thing the following year they were moved to the main theater.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited August 2015
    Main theater has more leeway on line times since they have fewer panels and more space for a queue. Generally the rule is you can't line up until the line for the previous panel is inside the theater. 2 hours being about that time. But really its a very rare panel that is line capped even an hour ahead of the panel start. Follow http://twitter.com/pax_lines for updates.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Mostly because they have the issue on the escalators where they have to hold people ever so often, you see this during the mass exodus to leave when the floor closes. If they did that in the morning, I would be pretty sure people are going to say" screw that" and keep going up the escalators. For how hard it is to keep people from running when the hall opens, that would be a mess.

But yes, this will be a learning year. I am hoping to feel it out on Friday and plan the rest of the days accordingly.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Last year people just started lining up for Acquisitions Inc. on the sidewalk outside Benaroya Hall (AKA Main Theater).

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    So. I was cheap and didn't pay for shipping to Canada for my badges, and thus need to pick up my tickets at will-call. Is it at the WSCC or the Hyatt? (As the map suggests badge pickup might be there)

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    So. I was cheap and didn't pay for shipping to Canada for my badges, and thus need to pick up my tickets at will-call. Is it at the WSCC or the Hyatt? (As the map suggests badge pickup might be there)
    It's the Hyatt. The only badge stuff I can see on the Hyatt map show it in the lobby and again on the "Area Maps" page it says "Resigtration/Badge Pickup ........ Grand Hyatt Level 1". So I guess they moved that out of the WSCC.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah it seems to go back and forth between those two spots. It was at the Hyatt a few years ago as well.

• Options
    DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hello Message boards!

Some of the main attractions I wish to see at Pax Prime is the Acquisitions Inc show and the other RPG Panels like Ask a DM. I assume that the Acquisitions Inc show is going to fill up but I don't know if the other panels have a history of filling up.

So any advice on how early someone should show up to these events to get a spot in line (or any panel for that matter)?

Thanks!

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Unless circumstances say otherwise, the earliest one can line up for a panel is after the preceding panel has let into the theater.

Now, Acquisitions takes place in the main theater and has a 4 hour gap before it. Main Theater works a bit different than what I said above because they tend to have such long gaps in their programming. Best bet is to either follow the official PAX line Twitter account or ask the Enforcers working the theater as to when exactly you can start lining up.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Main theater also has room for a TON of people - like 2000, 2500, depending on how they set it up.

• Options
    gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    DasJester wrote: »
    Hello Message boards!

Some of the main attractions I wish to see at Pax Prime is the Acquisitions Inc show and the other RPG Panels like Ask a DM. I assume that the Acquisitions Inc show is going to fill up but I don't know if the other panels have a history of filling up.

So any advice on how early someone should show up to these events to get a spot in line (or any panel for that matter)?

Thanks!
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Unless circumstances say otherwise, the earliest one can line up for a panel is after the preceding panel has let into the theater.

Now, Acquisitions takes place in the main theater and has a 4 hour gap before it. Main Theater works a bit different than what I said above because they tend to have such long gaps in their programming. Best bet is to either follow the official PAX line Twitter account or ask the Enforcers working the theater as to when exactly you can start lining up.
    Main theater also has room for a TON of people - like 2000, 2500, depending on how they set it up.

The line for Acquisitions Inc. was super long last year, it wrapped around the entire block, and went diagonally through the block, and out around another... I mean, like, ridiculous. But I think they got almost all of the people in. So yeah. I just know that was how it looked 2 hours before the show.

• Options
    TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    DasJester wrote: »
    Hello Message boards!

Thanks!
    whypick1 wrote: »

The line for Acquisitions Inc. was super long last year, it wrapped around the entire block, and went diagonally through the block, and out around another... I mean, like, ridiculous. But I think they got almost all of the people in. So yeah. I just know that was how it looked 2 hours before the show.

The panel before Acquisitions Inc ends at 5:00 PM and is another hugely popular panel (Inside Gearbox Software, they normally have a few good giveaways all who attend, last year was all the DLC for borderlands 2) I would expect allowing lineup 2 hours prior, but like said, follow twitter for for info.

• Options
    EmTimEmTim Registered User new member
    What's the purpose of the little number on the front of PAX badges? Should that be covered when posting pics on the internet? I'm looking for badges on ebay and somebody has a pic of a badge with the number showing. I'm just wondering if I should trust him, since most other people selling badges cover that number.

• Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Maybe Penny Arcade can use the number to figure out who originally bought the badge, and ban them from buying next year.

• Options
    EmTim wrote: »
    What's the purpose of the little number on the front of PAX badges? Should that be covered when posting pics on the internet? I'm looking for badges on ebay and somebody has a pic of a badge with the number showing. I'm just wondering if I should trust him, since most other people selling badges cover that number.

The public is not privy to what that number means exactly. People assume it is an identifier that is linked to their account, so they cover it up just to be safe. I do not cover the number when I post pictures since PA has never said it means anything to us.
    Since there is no official resale of Pax badges, no matter where you buy them on the secondary market you will be taking a risk. As least with Ebay you have a buyers protection if it turns out to be fake, but it is more than likely real.

IhtGIyi.png
This discussion has been closed.