Options

PAX Prime 2015 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    The only way to be safe when buying from a third party is, sadly, to buy it from a scalper on the street in front of the con centre the day of the event. They've got enforcers on site who can do a badge check to verify that yes, you are indeed buying a legit badge.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    EmTimEmTim Registered User new member
    The only way to be safe when buying from a third party is, sadly, to buy it from a scalper on the street in front of the con centre the day of the event. They've got enforcers on site who can do a badge check to verify that yes, you are indeed buying a legit badge.

Do you know if there are many legit street sellers? And are they usually expensive or cheap? Wonder if that's an option...

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    That I can't tell you, I've never bought from scalpers.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    DeToX86DeToX86 Registered User regular
    Not everyone out front are "scalpers" per se.

It's not unreasonable to think RL stuff happens to some people in the last few weeks leading up to PAX and "theoretically," someone like me may end up in a situation where they have an extra set of badges that they may or may not be selling in front of PAX for face value. Again, pure speculation on my part.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    DeToX86 wrote: »

It's not unreasonable to think RL stuff happens to some people in the last few weeks leading up to PAX and "theoretically," someone like me may end up in a situation where they have an extra set of badges that they may or may not be selling in front of PAX for face value. Again, pure speculation on my part.

There are a few people like that, but the professional scalpers usually swoop in and buy those up so there is less competition. That is why you will see people with a sign that says they are buying & selling.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    DeToX86DeToX86 Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    DeToX86 wrote: »

There are a few people like that, but the professional scalpers usually swoop in and buy those up so there is less competition. That is why you will see people with a sign that says they are buying & selling.

Agreed. That's why I'd like to think a person in my "theoretical" situation would hopefully do their best to sell to a non-scalper, but it can be tough sometimes if they are organized. I've seen them get pretty aggressive in the past and they really don't like anyone else selling passes. Luckily I'm a fairly large person so I tend not to get messed with too often. :)

• Options
    wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    I bought an extra Monday badge for face value from someone who just happened to have an extra last year. They were also more than happy to wander away from their prime street corner to find an Enforcer who could validate the authenticity of the badge.

Now maybe that's just because it was Monday, and maybe that'd be impossible on Saturday, but I don't know.

At the moment I have 4 friends lined up to come, 1 each day on the 2nd set of passes I bought. But if one of them backs out, I know I'll be out front, looking to sell to a real person, for Face Value.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    EmTim wrote: »

Do you know if there are many legit street sellers? And are they usually expensive or cheap? Wonder if that's an option...

There is no "legit" street seller, only scalpers (which is legal). The pricing is always as high as the market will bear.

Waited as long as possible last year, but we had to buy a scalped Saturday badge for one of our buddies. We tried to get a con-goer to sell us one at face value, but we just weren't lucky. On Friday, we scoffed at $100 USD, by Saturday afternoon, we buckled when the cheapest we could find was $150.

Your most economical bet is finding a fellow PAX attendee who is finished with their badge, as they will often sell them at face value to recoup costs, or even give them away to piss off the scalpers. Either way, it's very much a gamble. There are always badges available, but for us, it was VERY costly.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    jennyvierjennyvier Registered User new member
    Thanks kindly for everyone's answers! Already have had a few answered. One more though:

If I have a ticket for Monday, can I use it to get into a concert on Saturday night? Particularly for MC Frontalot who I desire to blow kisses at.

Thanks!

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    jennyvier wrote: »
    Thanks kindly for everyone's answers! Already have had a few answered. One more though:

If I have a ticket for Monday, can I use it to get into a concert on Saturday night? Particularly for MC Frontalot who I desire to blow kisses at.

Thanks!

No, you can only get into Pax events for the day you have a badge. The concerts are Pax events.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    DisraeliGearsDisraeliGears Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    jennyvier wrote: »

Thanks!

No, you can only get into Pax events for the day you have a badge. The concerts are Pax events.

You may not be able to go to the Saturday concerts, but if you're only concerned about MC Frontalot, he, like many other PAX artists, is doing an off-site show that is open to the general public. It appears that he is playing Monday night at 8PM at The Rendezvous in Belltown.

As a general note for anyone without badges, I would often look into these kinds of events. There are many things going on around town that don't require a badge.

8hj00yskc5i7.png
  • Options
    chadumchadum Registered User regular
    You may not be able to go to the Saturday concerts, but if you're only concerned about MC Frontalot, he, like many other PAX artists, is doing an off-site show that is open to the general public. It appears that he is playing Monday night at 8PM at The Rendezvous in Belltown.

Great point. Plus, The Rendezvous is tiny compared to the PAX mainstage so one can get much closer to Front.

• Options
    Uno Ill NinoUno Ill Nino Registered User regular
    Super long thread so forgive me if this has been answered already, but I did not see it in the first page.

A news update a few weeks back said the Queue Hall is gone now, occupied by the expanded Expo Hall. So now there are 2 entrances where we can wait to get in: Pike St Main Entrance, and "The Annex".

I've gone to PAX like 4 times now, 3 of which were at the current location, and I have no idea where The Annex is. Searching online makes it sound like its across the street in a seperate building and is now called "The Conference Center". Is that accurate? Basically I want to get there around 8:30 like I always do and wait to get into the Expo Hall. Sounds like my best bet is to just use the Pike St entrance and see where they're directing us to wait?

The Moofcast! - A videogame podcast for adults.
  • Options
    Super long thread so forgive me if this has been answered already, but I did not see it in the first page.

A news update a few weeks back said the Queue Hall is gone now, occupied by the expanded Expo Hall. So now there are 2 entrances where we can wait to get in: Pike St Main Entrance, and "The Annex".

I've gone to PAX like 4 times now, 3 of which were at the current location, and I have no idea where The Annex is. Searching online makes it sound like its across the street in a seperate building and is now called "The Conference Center". Is that accurate? Basically I want to get there around 8:30 like I always do and wait to get into the Expo Hall. Sounds like my best bet is to just use the Pike St entrance and see where they're directing us to wait?

The Annex is right across the street from the main entrance. It is where Wizzards of the Coast has set up the last few years and where BYOC is located.
    Also, if you remember walking through the expo hall, when you cross the sky bridge you are now in the annex.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    Skyred77Skyred77 Registered User new member
    I've been to PAX a few years in a row now and I've seen a pretty healthy line for the swag bag, but I haven't taken the time to stand in it. Is it worth the time to get a swag bag?

• Options
    thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    This will be my first year at prime, but I've been to pax east every year since it started (with the exception of 2015). Besides a deck of magic cards or some cards against humanity or some LoL skins there's never been anything of real value in the bags that I remember. Prime may be different.

The first year of east we got AMAZING swag bags from nvidia in the byoc. Swiss gear backpacks worth around $100 branded with the nvidia logo, a full copy of whatever Battlefield game had just come out, Starbucks gift cards, a mousepad, pc cleaning supplies and a bunch of other stuff... Now THAT was a swag bag!

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    They've really gone downhill in the past few years, mostly they're just adverts and flyers for stuff now. As thr4sher said, there are usually decks of magic cards to be had (if you're into that sort of thing). One year we got... eye drops (silly me, I didn't even know there was a demographic for that product in the gamer culture ;)).

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    lilinoelilinoe [E] LA Registered User regular
    Sounds like my best bet is to just use the Pike St entrance and see where they're directing us to wait?

Yep! Or if you show up a little later (~10:30am) you'll probably be able to just walk right in.

• Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    First year staying downtown. Parking suggestions for 3 nights downtown? In the past we have always parked at the Pacific Place mall parking, but now we are trying to figure one place to store a car for Thursday through Sunday.

• Options
    corbett86corbett86 Registered User new member
    I talked to most of my friends who live in the same area as me and they got their badges as much as two weeks ago yet I still have not received anything in the mail. With the event coming up so quickly I am terrified that something has gone wrong and didn't know where to ask. I tweeted at official pax but figured maybe this forum could help or put me in contact with a department that can be of assistance!

• Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    I think this should be in the PAX Prime subforum, but either way, email pax_questions@paxsite.com for help.

• Options
    corbett86corbett86 Registered User new member
    it probably should I didn't realize there was one when I made this post. That being said i sent an email to the above address already. I was hoping there was something more direct. Live chat/phone/something.

• Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    As far as I know, you need to wait for a response via email.

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    RiDE wrote: »
    They've really gone downhill in the past few years, mostly they're just adverts and flyers for stuff now. As thr4sher said, there are usually decks of magic cards to be had (if you're into that sort of thing). One year we got... eye drops (silly me, I didn't even know there was a demographic for that product in the gamer culture ;)).
    Yeah, they've been really underwhelming lately. I think the last time I got excited for a swag bag was East 2014, and that was just because of CAH's pwnmeal shenanigans. If there's little to no line at the Westin you might as well grab one but don't expect anything amazing.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    evermore904evermore904 Registered User regular
    zwitterion wrote: »
    First year staying downtown. Parking suggestions for 3 nights downtown? In the past we have always parked at the Pacific Place mall parking, but now we are trying to figure one place to store a car for Thursday through Sunday.
    I was just about to ask this myself...unfortunately there's no way for me to get around bringing my car and I'm so not wanting to pay $40/night just to stay at my hotel. Any other places that aren't ridiculously expensive?

• Options
    wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    You could park it at one of the Airport offsite lots for around 12-15/night (I personally park at Masterpark Lot B, and have used Doug Fox in the past), and then ride their shuttle to the terminal, and then ride the Link Light Rail into town. . . .

Doesn't sound ideal, but it's AN idea. :)

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I was just about to ask this myself...unfortunately there's no way for me to get around bringing my car and I'm so not wanting to pay $40/night just to stay at my hotel. Any other places that aren't ridiculously expensive?

You could always try a site like this: http://seattle.bestparking.com/ (not sure if this is the best resource, I just found it whlist searching) or ask your hotel concierge if they know of any cheaper lots. Most will be more than fine in giving you info.

IncreaseBlue on
  • Options
    RiDE wrote: »

I love those eye drops so I hope they are back :biggrin:

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular

You could always try a site like this: http://seattle.bestparking.com/ (not sure if this is the best resource, I just found it whlist searching) or ask your hotel concierge if they know of any cheaper lots. Most will be more than fine in giving you info.

Thanks for the share!

I have used the Convention Center Parking Garage for the last 5 years. As long as you are not looking to go in and out a lot it has been good for me. We also stay at the Sheraton so we are close to the car.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Does anyone know where the PAX Registration desk is this year(Or any other year lol) I need to turn in my Medical badge form this year and I have no clue where to take it Friday Morning (I wish there was a way to turn this in before hand)

With the Queue changes will there be a separate line for medical badge holders like last year?

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the PAX Registration desk is this year(Or any other year lol) I need to turn in my Medical badge form this year and I have no clue where to take it Friday Morning (I wish there was a way to turn this in before hand)

With the Queue changes will there be a separate line for medical badge holders like last year?
    <edit to remove my incorrect guess>
    As @Zerzhul says below: 4th floor skybridge lobby of the WSCC (formerly known as the north lobby).

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I think this is the place to post it:

The Merch Banner has been revealed!

#SlapBracelets2015

Lazorz on
  • Options
    Lazorz wrote: »

#SlapBracelets2015

Dang, I was hoping they would have their new Pin bag available. I wonder if it would ship fast enough if I ordered it now.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Bluemeane wrote: »

I would guess it's at the Badge Pickup on the 1st floor of the Hyatt. But ask pax_questions@paxsite.com to make sure.
    PAX Registration is absolutely the Badge Pickup spot. Not sure about the medical queue area, but I would assume it's separate. I will see if I can get information on where folks with Medical badges should line up for expo.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Medical Badges should go to the 4th floor skybridge lobby of the WSCC (formerly known as the north lobby). Use the elevators to get there, and that is where the Medical Badge lineup will be for expo. I believe the elevators to get there are the ones that are closest to the WSCC entrance right next to the sheraton hotel.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Dang, I was hoping they would have their new Pin bag available. I wonder if it would ship fast enough if I ordered it now.

I ordered mine Wednesday and it arrived today. Shipping isn't the cheapest but it's a nice bag! I'd order it ASAP if you want it before the show.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    What time do the merch booths open? Last year I was surprised that the merch booth was open earlier than PAX started, and by then the line for it was long enough I wasn't let in the line (and by the time I was let in the line, the PAX pin was sold out).

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »

#SlapBracelets2015

I'm more disappointed that there's no new book.

It's been what, three years now?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    What time do the merch booths open? Last year I was surprised that the merch booth was open earlier than PAX started, and by then the line for it was long enough I wasn't let in the line (and by the time I was let in the line, the PAX pin was sold out).

The regular merch booth opens at 10am with the rest of the show. The Merch lite booth opens at 9am and will be in the Sheraton. Remember that the pin will only be sold at the lite booth so get there early to line up.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey all, just curious on what age the kids get in free again. I have a friend who was just able to get his hands on a couple of tickets, but they have two younger kids they would have to bring. Do they need a ticket themselves? Or just the paid adult ticket gets them in. Thanks!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
This discussion has been closed.