As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Man, I do not remember that McLaren had a rookie driver backing up Alonso. Granted, I wasn't really paying attention to them, but I thought I would have heard something.

Yeah, Vandoorne was a highly regarded driver (reigning GP2 champ) who'd done one F1 race in 2016, filling in for Alonso after the latter's massive crash in Melbourne. Honestly, even given Alonso as a substantial yardstick and the dreadful equipment he was saddled with, I found him a bit underwhelming last year.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The US will be using the Sky Sport F1 coverage and commentary https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-broadcast-television-espn-abc-sky-1004720/

I'm still waiting to see if Will Buxton will be part of ESPN's coverage in some way. He's said he has a some kind of job in F1 journalism in 2018, but I don't think he's said specifically what yet.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The Haas car for this year has broken cover. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/haas-first-to-reveal-2018-car.html

It's rather noticeable how the photos try to obscure the halo as much as possible.

There's also the Williams. They're less coy about the halo. http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/11200056/williams-reveal-significantly-different-2018-f1-car

All except the Toro Rosso and Force India are scheduled to be revealed within a week.

Jazz on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    there sort of seems to be a difference in design philosophy, where Hass is bemoaning the greater weight and center of gravity, and Williams is, "so, now we can have more aero?"

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man that pillar right in front of the driver just looks weird. I'm guessing it's there for safety or whatever (I haven't kept up with F1 lately, but I like looking at the cars), and I guess it's better than having two pillars to the side, but I kind of wonder how the drivers feel about it. If they don't mind, then it's just a matter of it looking strange I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Are they even trying to get the windshield-like one made anymore?

Man, I really dislike the halo.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I don’t mind the halo at all.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Ah yes, the annual "Red Bull unveils their car in an amazing testing livery and everyone loses their minds about how cool it looks, only for RBR to immediately start hedging about how it's testing livery, and then come Australia it's just their normal goddamn livery a-fucking-gain"

I mean they did change to matte last year, but other than that...

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I think the new Red Bull looks hideous.

Williams is pretty good. HAAS looks great.

I'm looking forward to McLaren's. They generally look amazing.

• Options
    McLaren are being cagey about their new livery. Except it's supposed to be very different to last year. We'll see!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I grew to quite like the orange, so hope that it does make a return. My favourite livery last year was Haas though, loved that warm grey+deep red combo

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
  • Options
    Now that's a handsome car (with a halo stapled to the top).

I really dug Sauber's blue and gold livery last year, even if the car was a bit crap. This livery isn't quite to that level but it's still very good; hopefully the car is a bit better too, it'd be nice to see them scrapping it out in the midfield.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I still quite like the look of the Renault RS16. looking back and now at the cars rightnow, damn, the aero stuff has escalated. So many little doodads stapled to the cars.

• Options
    Yeah, that was one thing the 2009 regulation changes were supposed to get rid of, to a point. Now they've crept back onto the cars, little by little, each year.

• Options
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Could use more yellow

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I really like the look of this years car. Halo or not, these are some of the best looking F1 cars in a long while.

• Options
    I like how they've done the profile of the, for want of a new and better term, shark fin on these cars. It looks good.

The halo is still a carbuncle for me and will probably remain so, but yeah, the rest of the cars this far have been pretty. And accentuated by some really good liveries.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I'm liking the apparent theme of making two different liveries that Haas, Sauber, and Renault have gone with: The Side livery and the Front livery. Or the back if you're Sauber.

Williams is nice, but it's also just another Martini livery so it's basically cheating.

Could use better shots of the Red Bull livery. Bet it looks amazing from the front at track level, but the angles given have makes it seem a bit meh.

• Options
    I've given the OP a freshened "livery" now too, with a couple of new car pics (long overdue), deleted the long-winded introduction (although now I'm wondering if I should've saved the text somewhere), tucked the game trailers behind a spoiler, and most importantly of course, updated the roster and calendar for 2018. Couldn't help but notice all the driver changes are in the bottom half of the alphabetical team list.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of half smiling that Toro Rosso and Honda came out today and said they had a "perfect" shake down. Who knows what that means, and I'm sure they weren't going to say it was a disaster...but I'm going to chortle loudly if Honda has very few reliability issues this year and is actually putting out decent power.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm kind of half smiling that Toro Rosso and Honda came out today and said they had a "perfect" shake down. Who knows what that means, and I'm sure they weren't going to say it was a disaster...but I'm going to chortle loudly if Honda has very few reliability issues this year and is actually putting out decent power.

Sounds a lot like what McLaren were saying last year.

Watch the Amazon Prime show to see how full of lies that was, and I expect this year to be no different.

• Options
    I've watched it. It's an okay show, but it's also basically a Honda hit piece, with McLaren acting like they were helpless and had nothing to do with the failure of the partnership. "It's all Honda's fault!".

It's a fun show, but it's completely propaganda.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I don't see how the engine being a piece of shit is on the chasis designer and not the engine manufacturer, but ok then.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I've watched it. It's an okay show, but it's also basically a Honda hit piece, with McLaren acting like they were helpless and had nothing to do with the failure of the partnership. "It's all Honda's fault!".

It's a fun show, but it's completely propaganda.

If you're right, and Honda's engine is/was actually competitive, and McLaren's performance and reliability issues were in house, then this year, with Renault's engine, they should be no better, or worse than, Renault. And Torro Rosso should be at least front of the mid pack.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I would laugh my ass off if Honda is fast and reliable this year.

• Options
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Huh, that's different and also kind of I dunno...sauberish? Something that plain doesn't shout FRONTRUNNER to me, but I do like it all the same

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I just noticed the Merc still has its odd jagged windshield thing. It looks even weirder behind the halo pillar.

• Options
    Huh, that's different and also kind of I dunno...sauberish? Something that plain doesn't shout FRONTRUNNER to me, but I do like it all the same

It might be the lack of a title sponsor on the engine cover and how simple the graphics are. The lack of sponsors and branding make it look a bit like an underfunded backmarker team.

• Options
    I thought McLaren were supposed to have a new title sponsor. I guess not. Not sure where I'm remembering that from anyway.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    This sort of being the motorsport thread, I think this could be of interest: Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Bullet points are basically:
    • Day and Night cycles
    • Rain
    • MoFo'in amazing graphics
    • Laser scanned circuits (but that's a regular now)
    • e-Sports something or the other
    • Multiplayer with actual ranking system (hopefully will dare to even come close to iRacing.)

We're supposedly getting it on Early Access on Steam around summer.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Even my 1080 went and hid in the corner at the prospect of trying to run that. Wow.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I am shocked that Red Bull is wearing the same colours as ever

DW8uT71XkAA-tTm.jpg

Testing is going well for McLaren though

Apparently that was a wheel nut, hopefully an easy fix!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I am shocked that Red Bull is wearing the same colours as ever

Well those ARE their corporate colours... That front wing needs at least another dozen elements though!

• Options
    Oh look at that, Honda does 93 problem free laps in a Torro Roso, while McLaren is losing wheels. Obviously one day of testing is not representative, but I stand by my position that McLaren and their packaging demands had more to do with the failed partnership than anyone, certainly McLaren, are wanting to admit.

• Options
    F1 has officially announced it's streaming service https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-to-launch-f1-tv-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html

It'll cost between $8-12 per month, 20 selectable onboard cameras, multilanguage commentary, pre and post-race interviews, etc, etc. Good stuff and hopefully that's where Will Buxton will be commentating and/or interviewing. If ESPN does a lousy job of rebroadcasting the SkySports feed I'll pay for the stream.

This discussion has been closed.