As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Hmm for whatever reason ESPN didn’t broadcast FP2 so I didn’t get it recorded like usual. Bums me out when I get less F1 than expected on s race weekend.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Hmm for whatever reason ESPN didn’t broadcast FP2 so I didn’t get it recorded like usual. Bums me out when I get less F1 than expected on s race weekend.

You should be able to stream it off the watch ESPN website

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    At the F1 Festival in Milan, Vettel was pootling around in his Ferrari, at low speed.

And then he binned it.

One wonders if that is an omen for this weekend... a portent of misfortune, or him getting a shunt out of the way when it doesn't hurt anything but pride? We shall see...

Aren't F1 cars just really, really bad at cornering at such low speeds?

Well, yeah, but not that bad at like 2mph or whatever it was doing, I wouldn't have thought, unless you had a heavy right foot. But it was a stupidly narrow course, and the cars are rather long, too. At that speed you can see just how awkward and ungainly they can be out of their element.

It's not the first time one has been crashed at one of these demos, and it won't be the last. But it's unusual that it's a four-time champion, and that it's even his current car.

It reminded me a bit of his crash at Hockenheim. Low speed, left-hander, knocked off the front wing, right in front of fans, embarrassing as hell...

their tires basically aren't tires at that speed, if they've been left without the blankets for too long. their behavior is a lot more like cheap plastic once they fall to outdoor ambient temperature

they also can't really steer like normal cars, there's an upper limit to much much the wheels will turn at full lock, which is well short of what you'd want at parking lot speeds

embarrassing but not unbelievable...

Jasconius on
    If I were to guess, Vettel realized he couldn't make the turn too late, tried to rev the engine to spin the backend around and quickly realized it wasn't going to work, so he applied brakes but the cold tires just slid along the not grippy at all pavement.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Just watched qualifying. Quite boring, until:
    old man Kimi taking pole! Excellent work there.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Just watched qualifying. Quite boring, until:
    old man Kimi taking pole! Excellent work there.

I didn't think it was exactly boring...
    A shame for Perez in Q1... Alonso vs Magnussen in Q2 was silly buggers, but Stroll gave Williams something long overdue to smile about... and Q3...

HOLY FUCK, KIMI! Magnificent!

That'll be him at Ferrari next year, then :)

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Race
    Major screw up by Vettel on the first lap. Perfectly fair from Hamilton. Great racing between Kimi and Lewis.

Post-race.
    Damn that was good! Another classic circuit produces another classic race, complete with actual competition for the lead!

Hamilton was just plain on fire and the Merc strategy team were absolutely top notch. It's races like this that show why Lewis is one of the greats. I think it's fair to say that Ferrari was the better car here (and indeed, has been for most of the season) but he still pulled out the win. His move on Vettel on the first lap was excellent and effectively forced the mistake from Vettel. He kept pace with Raikkonen and was patient about making his move. When he did, it stuck and the win was his. Great driving.

There was a bit of a gap in pace to Bottas this weekend, but Bottas drove well in a blocking role. It may not be pretty, but it is a good strategy. It didn't cost them anything in the end either. It wouldn't have been possible if Ferrari had two cars at the front...

Which is where we come to Vettel. Another weekend, another mistake, another opportunity wasted and points given away to Merc/Hamilton. How many times is it this year? It was pretty clearly Vettel's fault. Hamilton gave him plenty of room but Vettel drove into the side of him (again - seems a bit reminiscent of France and the collision with Bottas). With the car advantage Ferrari have this really should be their year (and might still be), but you have to start to wonder if Vettel can actually deliver under pressure.

While I'm happy with the result (Hamilton fan and all that), part of me would have liked to see Kimi win. It must be gutting to lose it after the pole and with a good car underneath him, especially with the rumours suggesting it's very likely that Leclerc replaces him next season. Ultimately a poor Ferrari strategy brought him in too early and left his tyres wrecked for the end of the race, but he also didn't manage to pull a move on Bottas.

The race also saw the return of early-season Verstappen. It was entirely his fault - and it wasn't even necessary! Bottas wasn't going to get around him there. His tantrum afterwards shows a deeply flawed and fragile mentality. He just can't see himself doing any wrong ever, and even with that can't keep a calm head and stay professional to the end of the race. He may be quick but with an attitude like that he won't win championships.

Finally, the crowd - the usual booing for Ham, Bottas and Merc. I find it a bit funny (and enjoy Merc rubbing it in a bit in return), but even then it's still pretty disgraceful. They try and keep it out of the broadcast feed as much as possible but what does filter through sounds utterly classless. It's usually hand-waved away as "passion" but nowhere else do you see booing etc to this extreme. It's long past time they got called out for it.

Watching the indy race and there was a lap one crash with a car going over 2 others. One of the drivers in those lower cars apparently had something hit and leave a big dent in his helmet. Of course no one in the broadcast seems to care.

Indy needs something like the Halos right now.

edited September 2018
    What @altid said.
    Also, good solid recovery from Perez, quietly recovering to 8th mostly off-camera after the qualifying mishap.

Would have LOVED to see Kimi win it. But he did everything he could. Bad blistering, and had he been called in to stop a bit later... maybe. Just maybe. His outright pace was excellent until the tyres started to disintegrate.

Merc's trolling was cheeky as hell :lol:

Another point for Williams, courtesy of Stroll. Pay driver or not, the lad does sometimes pull it out of the bag. Sirotkin has yet to score, of course.

Two-race-old, brand new outfit (ahem) Racing Point Force India vault Sauber in the constructor's to take 8th; Haas are level with Renault too.

Jazz on
    edited September 2018
    Veevee wrote: »
    Watching the indy race and there was a lap one crash with a car going over 2 others. One of the drivers in those lower cars apparently had something hit and leave a big dent in his helmet. Of course no one in the broadcast seems to care.

Indy needs something like the Halos right now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bd02QeXBjcg

It was Ed Jones; he's interviewed at 6:50, and he's perfectly okay, very lucky guy. Marco Andretti got turned over, and as he said, he was lucky that nothing hit him or his car while his head was on the ground. Which, with the roll hoop and safety cell, it never should have been, really.

Halos may have helped defend them both in different ways. But it would be in character for Indy to be all, "they were all fine, no biggie".

Jazz on
    Grosjean has been excluded as the floor of his car was ruled illegal. Probably from that jump that's pictured...
    So Haas are no longer level with Renault.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    What @altid said.
    Also, good solid recovery from Perez, quietly recovering to 8th mostly off-camera after the qualifying mishap.

Would have LOVED to see Kimi win it. But he did everything he could. Bad blistering, and had he been called in to stop a bit later... maybe. Just maybe. His outright pace was excellent until the tyres started to disintegrate.

Another point for Williams, courtesy of Stroll. Pay driver or not, the lad does sometimes pull it out of the bag. Sirotkin has yet to score, of course.

Two-race-old, brand new outfit (ahem) Racing Point Force India vault Sauber in the constructor's to take 8th; Haas are level with Renault too.
    I read on The Guardian that Romain Grosjean got disqualified from his 6th position due to an out of spec floor, which elevates Sirotkin to 10th and his first points of the season! Gotta take 'em wherever you can haha

steam_sig.png
    TeeMan wrote: »
    What @altid said.

I read on The Guardian that Romain Grosjean got disqualified from his 6th position due to an out of spec floor, which elevates Sirotkin to 10th and his first points of the season! Gotta take 'em wherever you can haha
    Indeed! Happy to be corrected! Good for Sirotkin and Williams :)

been a while since i've paid attention to Indy but i forgot/didn't realize what a handful those cars are to drive, look at the steering wheel in Dixon's in-car

it looks like he's driving an F1 car around Monaco... in 1988

any way my take on Monza, which was the first decent Monza I can remember in 5 years
    Vettel is not looking in good form right now. That incident was 100% his fault. I think he was trying to sniff out Raikkonen, left himself exposed and then binned it after he realized his mistake. Between that and his DNF in the rain he is completely responsible for his own shortcoming in the championship if he loses.

Kimi did all he could. It's whatever. There were no good strategy options and they picked probably the least bad one. At any other track he probably wins. Like if it were China, he wouldn't have even needed to press Bottas, he could have just putted around and when Bottas finally pitted he could stand in it and win easily. But at Monza with a 4 second tow.. forget it

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I feel like Vettel is prone to make mistakes and bad judgement calls when things aren't going exactly the way he wants them to. Hamilton, for a much as he can bitch and moan, is able to just get on with things and make the best of a bad situation.

Indycar worked in conjunction with the chassis manufacturer, Dallara I think, to specifically design the aero kits to make the cars harder to drive. They have signficantly less downforce than last few generations of cars, and the majority of downforce they do have is underneath the car to make following the car in front have less of an impact on the car behind.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Lando Norris will be Carlos Sainz' teammate at McLaren next year, becoming the youngest Brit ever in F1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45409077

IndyCar will race at COTA in 2019 https://www.racefans.net/2018/09/04/2019-indycar-calendar-circuit-of-the-americas-replaces-phoenix-oval/

I know the series aren't directly comparable but I can't deny I'm curious to see how the lap times compare between F1 and IndyCar. For safety reasons alone I'm happy to see an oval tracked dropped from the series too.

When was the last time Indy and F1 raced on the same circuit (and layout)? Was it when Indianapolis counted towards the F1 World Championship?

Gonna be very interesting to compare the times, you're right. I'm guessing the F1 cars will come out on top because of the fast corners, but the Indy guys may well be faster down the back straight.

When was the last time Indy and F1 raced on the same circuit (and layout)? Was it when Indianapolis counted towards the F1 World Championship?

Gonna be very interesting to compare the times, you're right. I'm guessing the F1 cars will come out on top because of the fast corners, but the Indy guys may well be faster down the back straight.

According to the article "The last time a top American single-seater series shared a track with F1 in the same year was when Sebastien Bourdais won the Champ Car Grand Prix of Montreal at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in 2006."

I think Watkins Glen in '79 and '80 is the last time they raced on the same track and layout.

Cormac wrote: »

According to the article "The last time a top American single-seater series shared a track with F1 in the same year was when Sebastien Bourdais won the Champ Car Grand Prix of Montreal at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in 2006."

Champ Car counts, of course. (That'll teach me not to click on the article first. :snap: )

For what it's worth, in 2006 when both sets of cars were very different, the pole lap times were 1:20.005 for Bourdais in Champ Car's spec Lola-Cosworth, and 1:14.942 for Alonso in the Renault; the fastest laps in the race were 1:22.325 (Bourdais again) and 1:15.841 (Raikkonen in the McLaren-Mercedes). Race winners Bourdais and Alonso of course both went on to win their respective championships that year, too.

edited September 2018
    Cormac wrote: »

Champ Car counts, of course. (That'll teach me not to click on the article first. :snap: )

For what it's worth, in 2006 when both sets of cars were very different, the pole lap times were 1:20.005 for Bourdais in Champ Car's spec Lola-Cosworth, and 1:14.942 for Alonso in the Renault; the fastest laps in the race were 1:22.325 (Bourdais again) and 1:15.841 (Raikkonen in the McLaren-Mercedes). Race winners Bourdais and Alonso of course both went on to win their respective championships that year, too.

I also looked up the Watkins Glen info, and apparently Indy ran the shorter layout in 79 and 80 but ran the longer layout in 81, the same layout F1 did in 79/80. In 79 the F1 pole time was 1:35.615, in 80 it was 1:33.291. In 1981 the Indy pole time set by Mario Andretti was 1:56.167

Maybe an IndyCar could keep up with the back markers?

Edit: Although, if we can use those two points of data to extrapolate a trend line (don't do this at home, kids) we get a .713 seconds improvement per year, so by next year Indy should be... 4.20 seconds per lap faster at COTA.

Veevee on
    well the F1 cars are up about 300HP and have massively better aero

its gonna be a huge gap, many seconds, maybe even like 10 or more

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Grosjean has been excluded as the floor of his car was ruled illegal. Probably from that jump that's pictured...
    So Haas are no longer level with Renault.

Apparently it was an issue with the design:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUC2gDPiHEc

steam_sig.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvHdhTSnEk

This could have been a LOT worse. I heard she broke a leg and her pelvis from this crash.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    That crash is crazypants. I hope just broken bones remains the prognosis, that could have been deadly.

edited September 2018
    Nova_C wrote: »
    That crash is crazypants. I hope just broken bones remains the prognosis, that could have been deadly.

It was deadly to Gonzalo Rodriguez (link to his wikipedia entry) in 1999 in a very similar accident. His IndyCar did pretty much the same thing in qualifying then flipped forward over the fence and landed upside down.

So yeah, quite happy she is alive and relatively healthy.

Veevee on
    edited September 2018
    Bloody hell, that's a nasty one. Glad she survived that, and hopefully it's no worse than broken bones and she recovers.

In Moto2, Romano Fenati was black flagged, suspended for two races and then fired by his team for reaching out and pulling Stefano Manzi's brake lever while racing wheel to wheel at 140mph. Somehow Manzi managed to keep the bike upright and was unhurt. MotoGP's Cal Crutchlow, among others, has called for Fenati to be banned from motorcycle racing altogether and I'm inclined to agree; it's not only perhaps the single most fucking ridiculous thing to ever happen in bike racing, it's not even Fenati's first rodeo...

Jazz on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Good grief, if anything is deserving of a lifetime ban, that should certainly quality! It is both incredibly dangerous and cheating. That sort of behavior should not be tolerated.

steam_sig.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    F1 merry-go-round continues. Kimi will move to Sauber next season, with LeClerc taking his seat at Ferrari.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45477134

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    oldmanken wrote: »
    F1 merry-go-round continues. Kimi will move to Sauber next season, with LeClerc taking his seat at Ferrari.

Well done Ferrari for letting Kimi just know before he raced in Monza that he wouldn't be there next season. Bravo.

Mc zany on
    oldmanken wrote: »

Ouch. Just retire, Kimi. Don't go through what Alonso just did.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    What is going on with this silly season.

Alonso was clearly having an unpleasant time. Not every top class driver needs to go to a shitbox team

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    What is going on with this silly season.

Alonso was clearly having an unpleasant time. Not every top class driver needs to go to a shitbox team

He is probably going to Sauber because no other seat is available.

is there an explanation for that lambo crash? it looks like complete brake failure

anyway Kimi is probably going to Sauber because Ferrari is paying him fat stacks to do it. I can't think of any reason why Kimi would do it otherwise

they probably want him there for feedback (ironically) and as an insurance policy incase Leclerc caves in

i feel bad but, it's hard to feel that bad when the gold standard for disgraceful retirements has already been set by Alonso

Excited for leclerc though, he seems to have huge upside and will be fun to see him more able to compete with Verstappen equipment wise.

Jasconius wrote: »
    is there an explanation for that lambo crash? it looks like complete brake failure

anyway Kimi is probably going to Sauber because Ferrari is paying him fat stacks to do it. I can't think of any reason why Kimi would do it otherwise

they probably want him there for feedback (ironically) and as an insurance policy incase Leclerc caves in

i feel bad but, it's hard to feel that bad when the gold standard for disgraceful retirements has already been set by Alonso

This may be worse. Alonso was with McLaren, so at least there is a storied history behind the team. Yeah, they were and still are god awful right now, but there is still hope the car will be good at the start of the season. Compare that to Sauber. A team whose biggest achievement this decade has been getting a couple points every once in a while.

Maybe this is just a paycheck, or partially about going full circle in his F1 career since Sauber was his first F1 ride, or something else entirely. I just wish he would retire instead of trying to hang on.

It's even a two-year deal at Sauber.

I'm baffled.

Personally I'd have preferred Kimi just retiring. Why hang on when there's nowhere to go but down?

The Leclerc move is interesting though. The BBC coverage of it suggested a few things - that it was the late Sergio Marchionne's call to promote Leclerc, and that there's an element of doubt over Vettel's performance. It could go any way from there really - Leclerc could push Vettel to be better, or frictions between driver and team could grow if Leclerc proves a challenge for Vettel. Or Leclerc might not be able to challenge Vettel (he is still quite young and relatively untested after all). At the very least, the indication was that Vettel would have preferred Kimi as teammate.

This discussion has been closed.