As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I don't really know what to say about this race. I mean I guess it was ok? Surprisingly close at the end but not really a whole lot happened before that.

Brundle was having a bit of a funny day in the commentary. We had Jos Verstappen and Jan Magnussen driving while Hamilton was still in a McLaren.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Kvyat went into turn one so fast he went back in time.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I felt bad for Alonso during that accident, in the replay you can see him check his side mirror like 4-5 times cause he knows he's gonna get hit, and then he gets hit.

That's a rough day at the office.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Verstappen just cannot catch a break.

That race was pretty uneventful after turn 1, but at least was interesting at the end.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Compared the Baku this race was almost a total snoozefest until the last 5-7 laps. Then again very few races are ever anywhere near as eventful as Baku, so Austria was practically a return to F1 normality.

Shame for Alonso, Verstappen, and Magnussen. Double points for Haas would have been great, and with both Toro Rosso's out of the race might have put them ahead in the Constructor's Championship.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Good day for Williams too, compared to Saturday. After that dreadful qualifying they might not have dreamed of a double points finish.

• Options
    Silverstone circuit has activated the break clause in their contract to host the British Grand Prix, citing unsustainable losses from the ever-escalating cost of hosting the race. The circuit's fee paid to F1 increases by 5% every year, and unlike most circuits on the calendar, Silverstone receives no government backing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40566434
    "We have reached tipping point," said BRDC chairman John Grant.

"We can no longer let our passion for the sport rule our heads. We sustained losses of £2.8m in 2015 and £4.8m in 2016, and we expect to lose a similar amount this year."

"Our hope is that an agreement can still be reached, so that we can ensure a sustainable and financially viable future for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for many years to come."

I hope Liberty Media sees sense and they can figure out a mutually beneficial and sustainable contract beyond 2019.

• Options
    sort of shocked hamilton didn't get a penalty for that move he pulled in quali, very dangerous.

but i guess f1 doesn't want to deal with the riots it would cause to move him off poll at silverstone.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Rumours floating around that Sainz' relationship with Red Bull & Toro Rosso has broken down enough that he might be in a Renault as soon as the Hungarian GP, replacing Palmer.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Cor that was a hell of an end to the race
    Really pleased that Kimi got back to third, absolutely rotten luck to have tyres go like that for both him and Vettel

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    That all went a bit mad, didn't it?

• Options
    Fun race to watch.
    Glad to see Hamilton win it. He seems to absolutely love winning in silverstone and it's great to see him going out to the fans afterwards. That said he wasn't really challenged at all.

Ferrari certainly have questions to answer. Kimi had been complaining about the tires for at least a few laps before it failed. Even if there was no data pointing to imminent failure, you'd certainly have considered that your second car may also have the same trouble. Red Bull took it seriously enough that they pitted Verstappen. The loss of points is on Ferrari for this one.

Speaking of Verstappen, some brilliant driving from him again today. Just a pity that the Red Bull didn't have the pace to keep him in it.

Toro Rosso certainly seem to have trouble with their drivers. Sainz clearly wants out since Red Bull is a dead end for him and Kyvat foolishly punted Sainz out of the race. I expect both of them to be gone for next year, and at the rate things are going both could be gone for next race.

• Options
    The FIA have confirmed that the Halo head protection device will be used on F1 cars next year; despite, allegedly, 9 out of the 10 teams voting against it...

• Options
    Well the Honda-Sauber deal is now officially dead. With more than a few rumours about McLaren looking for an alternative it remains to be seen if Honda will still be in F1 next season. Leaving would probably be best for them at the minute. Their current efforts simply aren't up to the job and show no sign of improvement after 3 years.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Porsche is going to end their LMP1 program at the end of this WEC season, but will be joining Formula E in 2019 http://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/40750249

There's a good chance Toyota, being the sole remaining LMP1 manufacturer team, will end their program as well.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Today is not a good day :(

I knew they were going to because VAG doesn't want to spend any money and Formula E lets them pretend to still race for no dollars, but I'm still pretty sad about it.

LMP1-H was my favorite racing series by far, and to go from 6 cars, and 8 at Le Mans, to zero in 2 years is just tragic.

It is going to be funny when all these "manufacturers" pull out of formula e once it's no longer a spec series and they can't use it as an easy excuse to quit other series.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Damn. That really is a crying shame.

I've got nothing against Formula E, if anything it's important to have at this point in history, but losing LMP1 is a hell of a blow. Like, where does sportscar racing go from here?

Still, the rumours of VAG sniffing around F1 have resurfaced recently. I'd be amazed if it happens, but still. Weirder things have happened.

• Options
    I wonder if the prototypes just fade away altogether. At some point the GTE manufacturers are going to say "hey, uh, we're still here and we're spending way more money than these customer LMP2 teams, we would like to compete for podiums if LMP1 is gone" and split off from WEC.

But with DTM eating a huge body blow, and now VAG basically pulling out of non-spec racing, it really seems like all sports car series are dying.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Fun weekend for Paul Di Resta. He was lined up to replace the ill Martin Brundle for sky's commentary team except Massa took ill during FP2 & 3 - so now as Williams reserve driver he has been drafted in for the race weekend starting with quali. Hope he isn't too rusty.
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/7/di-resta-to-stand-in-for-unwell-massa-in-hungary.html

Also hope both Brundle and Massa recover quickly.

• Options
    It'll be nice to see di Resta back in an F1 car; but it's a shame it's under these circumstances.

Definitely all the best to Brundle and Massa. Good eggs the pair of them.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    So presumably Di Resta will be doing race commentary via Team Radio? That's no small feat.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    So presumably Di Resta will be doing race commentary via Team Radio? That's no small feat.

He could partner up with Raikkonen.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

He could partner up with Raikkonen.

No joke I would definitely listen to an alternative commentary track from Kimi

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    "The stewards determined that Kvyat was on an exceptionally slow lap having spun earlier and damaged his tyres. The stewards acknowledged that he was warned by the team very late of the approach of Stroll who was on a fast lap.

"Further, Kvyat pulled as far to the right as he could as soon as he saw Stroll. However, the stewards considered that these were not mitigating factors."

Uhhhhhh.

Stewards decisions in F1 make catch/no catch in football make perfect sense.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Got home halfway through the race hoping to see Danny doing well. That was disappointing. Seen the replays. Fuck you Max. Fuck you.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    If only Hungary wasn't such a horrible track for overtaking...

This race really is a perfect example of the championship game is being played. Ferrari were willing to risk Kimi's position so that Vettel could maximize his championship gain whereas Merc swapped their drivers back, harming Hamilton's championship bid, in the interests of driver fairness. On nearly any other track this could have backfired horribly for Ferrari, but Hungaroring. Ferrari clearly have a 1-2 setup while Merc don't.

It was a very classy move by Merc to swap them back and full credit to them for going through with it but I'll be honest - I probably wouldn't have done it nor promised Bottas the place back as an absolute. I say this because Bottas' P3 ultimately didn't feel earned. Hamilton was much quicker when given clear air while Bottas dropped back far enough that Verstappen was a very real risk. If he'd kept on Hamilton's tail throughout (as in just far enough back to not pick up the dirty air) then it would have felt earned. While Ferrari's failure to swap could have cost them the win, swapping back could have cost Hamilton P4. While the "equal treatment" thing has worked for Merc while they've had basically no competition they really ought to think about how to handle it going forward.

Verstappen had a very mixed race. Sublime at the end and demonstrating what the Red Bull could have done - but he fucked up badly in taking out his teammate. Not intentional of course but it was entirely his mistake. The resulting penalty also cost him and the team what could have been a very strong finish.

Finally Alonso P6! And fastest lap!

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    evilbob wrote: »
    Got home halfway through the race hoping to see Danny doing well. That was disappointing. Seen the replays. Fuck you Max. Fuck you.

Max made a mistake, locking up and going wide is something every driver does, and took the same penalty Vettel got for intentionally ramming another driver.

k

EDIT: Wait, no, Vettel got a 10 second stop and go.

But I've seen them call similar things racing incidents. Like, I would have accepted a 5 second, but a 10? Nah, there are clearly favourites and not favourites and the rules are selectively applied.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    If only Hungary wasn't such a horrible track for overtaking...

This race really is a perfect example of the championship game is being played. Ferrari were willing to risk Kimi's position so that Vettel could maximize his championship gain whereas Merc swapped their drivers back, harming Hamilton's championship bid, in the interests of driver fairness. On nearly any other track this could have backfired horribly for Ferrari, but Hungaroring. Ferrari clearly have a 1-2 setup while Merc don't.

It was a very classy move by Merc to swap them back and full credit to them for going through with it but I'll be honest - I probably wouldn't have done it nor promised Bottas the place back as an absolute. I say this because Bottas' P3 ultimately didn't feel earned. Hamilton was much quicker when given clear air while Bottas dropped back far enough that Verstappen was a very real risk. If he'd kept on Hamilton's tail throughout (as in just far enough back to not pick up the dirty air) then it would have felt earned. While Ferrari's failure to swap could have cost them the win, swapping back could have cost Hamilton P4. While the "equal treatment" thing has worked for Merc while they've had basically no competition they really ought to think about how to handle it going forward.

Verstappen had a very mixed race. Sublime at the end and demonstrating what the Red Bull could have done - but he fucked up badly in taking out his teammate. Not intentional of course but it was entirely his mistake. The resulting penalty also cost him and the team what could have been a very strong finish.

Finally Alonso P6! And fastest lap!
    Yeah, if the championship comes down to those 3 points they are going to be kicking themselves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    F1 2017 is out, dudes! And so far it's good stuff. I'm playing it on PC this year, if any of you guys are grabbing it. (I'm still using a controller, though.)

I've thrown a couple of more recent trailers for it into the OP.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I should probably try the F1 games sometime. Been a while since I've tried a racing game.

On the F1 side of things we have Belgium this weekend! Always a great track. Not much openly happening over the summer break but Raikonnen and Vandoorne have both been confirmed for another year in their respective teams. Some rumours that Ilmor have helped Honda gain some performance while McLaren confirmed they're talking to Renault. It really could go either way right now.

• Options
    Spa is the best track in the calendar. Expecting someone to crash exiting Les Combs this year, seems like the curbing is deadly combined with the downhill toward Bruxelles. Massa wiped out there, and Hamilton would have as well had he been on a hotter lap.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I should probably try the F1 games sometime. Been a while since I've tried a racing game.

On the F1 side of things we have Belgium this weekend! Always a great track. Not much openly happening over the summer break but Raikonnen and Vandoorne have both been confirmed for another year in their respective teams. Some rumours that Ilmor have helped Honda gain some performance while McLaren confirmed they're talking to Renault. It really could go either way right now.

I've been watching a let's play of F1 2017 and it seems cool, though it would be enraging I think
    The guy is racing Mclaren, which means he's the slowest out there, spent a bunch of earned points on an engine upgrade, when the upgrade was delivered, it 'failed'. Realism is one thing, but then so is punching yourself in the dick.

I'm still out, though, until they add VR support. That and space sims are two genres I can't really do outside of VR anymore.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Nova_C wrote: »

I've been watching a let's play of F1 2017 and it seems cool, though it would be enraging I think
    The guy is racing Mclaren, which means he's the slowest out there, spent a bunch of earned points on an engine upgrade, when the upgrade was delivered, it 'failed'. Realism is one thing, but then so is punching yourself in the dick.

I'm still out, though, until they add VR support. That and space sims are two genres I can't really do outside of VR anymore.

Even the trailer features
    a McLaren breaking down. There's also a few funny comments about that happening in the Steam reviews.

I have no idea if the likelihood of failures - regarding either upgrades or actual reliability problems in a session - is different from team to team, so not sure if YMMV by going to a different team. But yes, upgrades "failing" is definitely a thing this year.

As with the last few iterations, you can choose to start with any team you like.

It doesn't have VR, but they are talking about it, most likely in conjunction with next year's game rather than this.

But this one does have support for Tobii eye tracking and head tracking, for what it's worth. My swanky new laptop has the eye tracking built in and it works well with the game - it's the first time I've tried it, and personally speaking I wasn't too keen on using it to shift the view around, although it's definitely useful for being able to check your mirrors much more easily. But I do like how it can integrate with the HUD - you can have HUD elements faded to very translucent unless you glance at them, whereupon they fill in clearly. That is really, really nice for the sometimes huge MFD in the lower right but works for all four corners of the HUD independently. That's definitely an immersion aid too.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Even grab an older one cheap if you just want to try one out. I'd say avoid 2015; it's too bare bones and had too many unpatched bugs, although the racing was still good. 2013 is easily the best of the "last-gen" ones (edit: but no longer available on Steam, sadly, but you may be able to track a key down elsewhere, perhaps; or of course used on 360/PS3), and 2016 is still really solid if you don't want to spring for 2017. (Shop around If you're going for 2017; I saved a whopping £13 by getting a physical PC copy from Amazon rather than just buying it on Steam, and it comes with a Steam code anyway!)

Jazz on
  • Options
    More driver news - Vettel has signed a new 3 year contract with Ferrari.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41060743

Not surprising really. It also means that, since Vettel is clearly their #1 driver, the other Ferrari seat is a clear #2 until 2020.

• Options
    I'm somewhat opposed to the idea of giving Codemasters any more money after dirt 4.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I was pondering if the one year extension for Kimi is a hedge to fill the spot until Alonso is available (banking on him not quitting McClaren at the end of the season). I could see him doing a couple of twilight years at Ferrari, he's clearly still capable.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Impressed by the amount of F1 2017 advertising around the track, especially at Blanchimont.

Less impressed with Williams. Blimey, that was a shocker.

Really unimpressed with the revelation that Alonso was driving too well and that's what scuppered him in Q2... sort your shit out, Honda! https://wtf1.com/post/alonsos-qualifying-power-problems-were-because-he-drove-too-well/

• Options
    Bit of a snoozer by Spa standards. Apart from
    the Force Indias, of course.

And Kimi being a naughty boy.

Bummer for Max.

This discussion has been closed.