As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Love him or hate him, that was an incredible drive by Hamilton.
    Feel a bit sad for Bottas. Verstappen only got 5 seconds for causing a puncture :/
    Bottas was exactly where he would have been had he been following Hamilton like any other driver would have been. Mercedes tried to do some tricksy shit by backing Bottas up by having him slow way down right before the pits. I think the penalty was mostly fair in the end.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Went to check the green flag time for the Indy 500 and I came across this

12:27 p.m.: Flyover – U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight Team (F-16 Fighting Falcon, A-10 Thunderbolt II, P-51 Mustang, P-40 Warhawk)

That might be the best flyover ever.

Edit: time is eastern, race starts at 12:45pm

No F-111 dump and burn though.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Feel a bit sad for Bottas. Verstappen only got 5 seconds for causing a puncture :/
    Bottas was exactly where he would have been had he been following Hamilton like any other driver would have been. Mercedes tried to do some tricksy shit by backing Bottas up by having him slow way down right before the pits. I think the penalty was mostly fair in the end.
    Disagree. Verstappen should have gotten a drive through. It was an unsafe release, in one of the tightest pit lanes on the calendar, he hit another car and caused that car to have a slow puncture. It was 100% drive through worthy.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm still learning some of the strategy but it seemed (to me) that the puncture on Bottas caused him to get stuck behind a pack for a bit and he never really recovered.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Disagree. Verstappen should have gotten a drive through. It was an unsafe release, in one of the tightest pit lanes on the calendar, he hit another car and caused that car to have a slow puncture. It was 100% drive through worthy.
    Actually, you know what, you are right. Would have made an even better race in the end, too.

Probably would have gotten to see Vettel crack under pressure again, too too.

• Options
    Actually, you know what, you are right. Would have made an even better race in the end, too.

Probably would have gotten to see Vettel crack under pressure again, too too.
    Chatter during the race was that Vettel had heat issues (either engine or brakes) so Ferrari's woes continue.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Very glad to be wrong! Top class drive from Hamilton.

As earlier, I just can't understand the strategy he was on. Short of rain or massive SC incidents, it was always going to be a one stop race. Sure the hards might have been a bit slower (and it turns out they weren't really) but if you have to nurse mediums well past the point of safety then why bother? You'll be slower than the hards from tyre management and in much worse condition at the end. Even if you assume other cars are going on a faster tyre compound, who cares? It's Monaco, you can hold them up until their tyres fall apart. The only reason I can think of for choosing the mediums is that they thought heavy rain was imminent and that everyone would have to stop for inters.

Bottas got thoroughly screwed by the pitlane incident. I still can't fathom why 5 seconds was deemed appropriate given that:
    1. He was clearly released into the path of another car, with wheels interlocking
    2. That resulted in an actual collision in a very crowded pitlane, with debris being thrown off the cars
    3. The collision resulted in damage to Bottas that required another pitstop to fix, costing at least one position that he would not have lost otherwise
    While the blame lies primarily with the team rather than Verstappen doesn't excuse that it's almost as bad as a pitlane incident can get.

• Options
    altid wrote: »

As earlier, I just can't understand the strategy he was on. Short of rain or massive SC incidents, it was always going to be a one stop race. Sure the hards might have been a bit slower (and it turns out they weren't really) but if you have to nurse mediums well past the point of safety then why bother? You'll be slower than the hards from tyre management and in much worse condition at the end. Even if you assume other cars are going on a faster tyre compound, who cares? It's Monaco, you can hold them up until their tyres fall apart. The only reason I can think of for choosing the mediums is that they thought heavy rain was imminent and that everyone would have to stop for inters.

Bottas got thoroughly screwed by the pitlane incident. I still can't fathom why 5 seconds was deemed appropriate given that:
    1. He was clearly released into the path of another car, with wheels interlocking
    2. That resulted in an actual collision in a very crowded pitlane, with debris being thrown off the cars
    3. The collision resulted in damage to Bottas that required another pitstop to fix, costing at least one position that he would not have lost otherwise
    While the blame lies primarily with the team rather than Verstappen doesn't excuse that it's almost as bad as a pitlane incident can get.
    To be faiiiirrrr Toto Wolff said straight up after the race that the Tire strategy was the wrong call, no excuses.
    Said Lewis was the only reason they came out with a win.

I think you're 100% correct they expected rain and it was too late in the race to recover when they saw it wasn't coming.

• Options

I think the mediums were absolutely the wrong call, and I think Mercedes will internally admit that...but the thinking had to be rain and/or likelihood of another SC. They had put Bottas on the mediums as well before he had to pit a second time, so clearly Mercedes thought a two stopper was going to be the order of the day.

In this case they were wrong and got bailed out by the best driver of this generation doing his thing.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    There's a dude in the Indy 500 named "Will Power"

Incredible.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

Incredible.

Yeah, he won it last year. He's also been incredibly successful in the series.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »

Incredible.

Yeah, he won it last year. He's also been incredibly successful in the series.

Must have great willpower.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Will Power is one of the great driver names. Up there with Dick Trickle.

• Options
    Dick Trickle is a legend of the short tracks around here, and my mom almost killed him drinking homemade moonshine in the early 80's.

That indy 500 fly over. Anyone else get a big ol' frisson?

• Options
    Will Power is a super star in IndyCar as well, not just some dude. Definitely one of those "born to be a racing driver" names.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Oh yeah, not knocking Trickle as a driver. I just think his name is hilarious.

Your mom is awesome. :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Holy shit the F1 subreddit is toxic AF when it comes to Hamilton. I get some people don't like the guy, that's fine...but some of these comments are just like "Hey, your overt racism is showing".

• Options
    Holy shit the F1 subreddit is toxic AF when it comes to Hamilton. I get some people don't like the guy, that's fine...but some of these comments are just like "Hey, your overt racism is showing".

People just like to tear down a winner. Especially one who does not go 110% on humility.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I'm hoping Hinchcliffe can managed to pull himself up the order a bit. He's already gained back 8 spots.

Some neat little scraps at the start. Oval racing is not my favorite, but that was a good opening.

• Options

People just like to tear down a winner. Especially one who does not go 110% on humility.

This actually dovetails with one of the conspiracy theories, that had hundreds of up votes: Hamilton's tires weren't that bad, he was just making it seem bad so when he won he was a bigger hero. You can't make this stuff up.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I've never been a huge Hamilton fan, but I have to admit he has proven himself to be the best driver of his generation, and possibly of all time. At some point you just have to realize that you can't argue with results.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One day I'll get to be there in person for the historic F1 round at Monaco, a few weeks after the current F1 round... Open pits! All the cars you loved watching as a kid! Super laid-back atmosphere!

• Options
    Shit 2 teams hit pit crew, one guy down. Doesn't look too bad though.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Pit lane is completely insane at Indy today.

• Options
    Yeah, that one guy grabbed his knee pretty quick. It looked like it got bent weird, I'm guessing he has a torn ligament.

• Options
    Yeah, that one guy grabbed his knee pretty quick. It looked like it got bent weird, I'm guessing he has a torn ligament.

They showed what happened on the replay. The car hit the spare tire into his hip/thigh. That's one hell of a bruise or a broken femur.

• Options

Damn that was close. I have no idea how it happened but... damn, hope it never does again.

• Options

Damn that was close. I have no idea how it happened but... damn, hope it never does again.

I have seen the unedited Tom Pryce video. Do not google it if you do not want to see extreme real life gore. I do not want to ever see anything like that again. That was way too fucking close and I hope someone gets held responsible for that.

My heart is fucking pounding from that video. Holy shit.

• Options
    Was that most likely when the marshals were out clearing the debris when the safety car was out?

Yeah, seconded about the video of Tom Pryce. :sad:

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Was that most likely when the marshals were out clearing the debris when the safety car was out?

Yeah, seconded about the video of Tom Pryce. :sad:

Looks like he’s coming out of the pits there, I don’t think they had debris work around there, but I might be wrong.

• Options
    I still can't believe nobody was injured there. It's literally inches from disaster, especially with one each side. Credit to Perez for avoiding both but it's incredibly close to unavoidable accident there. The Monaco marshals are very good as well.

It does remind me of a story from years ago though. Maldonado ignored a yellow flag and struck and seriously injured a marshal in 2005 in a junior series. He was reportedly banned for life from racing there but his dad paid a fortune to the family to get that lifted.

For more uplifting post-race tuff:
    Hamilton going to visit the strategy team and talk to them about strategy:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Simon Pagenaud has become the first Frenchman to win the Indy 500 since 1914.

Amazing finish for a great race

Veevee on
  • Options
    I still can't believe nobody was injured there. It's literally inches from disaster, especially with one each side. Credit to Perez for avoiding both but it's incredibly close to unavoidable accident there. The Monaco marshals are very good as well.

It does remind me of a story from years ago though. Maldonado ignored a yellow flag and struck and seriously injured a marshal in 2005 in a junior series. He was reportedly banned for life from racing there but his dad paid a fortune to the family to get that lifted.

For more uplifting post-race tuff:
    Hamilton going to visit the strategy team and talk to them about strategy:

That video is a tiny piece of insight in to why Mercedes has been able to maintain their dominance. They really do love working together, even when not every choice is perfect.

• Options
    Simon Pagenaud has become the first Frenchman to win the Indy 500 since 1914.

Amazing finish for a great race
    I really thought Rossi had it, just didn't time that final pass right.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I hate the Monaco track so much, it's basically a time trial set up to show off in front of rich people on their yachts.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    You think Monaco's traffic jams are bad...

https://youtu.be/xydVX_S-bkk

Me, taking Giovianni's ride in F1 2018 with this 2019 Mod, getting a little bit of oversteer going around turn 21 of the Singapore GP.

Edit: If you look past the pile of broken cars you can see me coasting along as I stare behind me trying to figure out how I didn't get wrecked.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Monaco the track is amazing. It's also amazing and breath taking to see a Formula 1 car driven to the limit at Monaco. Monaco the race tends to be a parade unfortunately.

I'm fine with it on the calendar for it's historical charm and the fact that it produces the most breath taking qualifying of the season.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Monaco was more exciting than it had any right to be, but...
    You just cannot pass. There's no where to pass. Everyone who tried it got in an accident.

Giving Max a drive through penalty probably wouldn't have changed much, except maybe changing his position with Gasly? Why would punishing the driver further, but not the team, help a situation like that? Max wasn't at fault, the team was. Also, drivers backing up the field in the pit lane is a no no, I thought.

Anyway, Hamilton was never in any trouble. The Mercedes is the best car on any track by a fair margin. The only way anything was going to happen was if Hamilton lost a tire.

Hamilton doesn't make mistakes. I don't think you can say he's the best ever driver when there's such a disparity between the Mercedes and every other car, but there's only a handful in the same class as he is, and unfortunately, they're all driving slower cars (Or have left F1), so there's no rivalry. No one to pit against him. It's a shame, really. I wish I could see Hamilton actually have to fight for a win.

• Options
    You think Monaco's traffic jams are bad...

https://youtu.be/xydVX_S-bkk

Me, taking Giovianni's ride in F1 2018 with this 2019 Mod, getting a little bit of oversteer going around turn 21 of the Singapore GP.

Edit: If you look past the pile of broken cars you can see me coasting along as I stare behind me trying to figure out how I didn't get wrecked.

Hahaha seeing the two Williams finally getting there at the end gave me a real chuckle.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Monaco was more exciting than it had any right to be, but...
    You just cannot pass. There's no where to pass. Everyone who tried it got in an accident.

Giving Max a drive through penalty probably wouldn't have changed much, except maybe changing his position with Gasly? Why would punishing the driver further, but not the team, help a situation like that? Max wasn't at fault, the team was. Also, drivers backing up the field in the pit lane is a no no, I thought.

Anyway, Hamilton was never in any trouble. The Mercedes is the best car on any track by a fair margin. The only way anything was going to happen was if Hamilton lost a tire.

Hamilton doesn't make mistakes. I don't think you can say he's the best ever driver when there's such a disparity between the Mercedes and every other car, but there's only a handful in the same class as he is, and unfortunately, they're all driving slower cars (Or have left F1), so there's no rivalry. No one to pit against him. It's a shame, really. I wish I could see Hamilton actually have to fight for a win.
    Hard disagree. I think there is plenty of evidence that he's the best driver of this generation, despite being in such a superior car. We don't question that Michael was one of the best drivers of all time because he was in a dominant car, with a completely compliant teammate. There are so many "Hamilton moments" where he pulls something incredible out of the bag, Mercedes or no Mercedes. Things like his Singapore GP pole last year, or his pace on slicks in the rain at Germany last year, or every time he goes wheel to wheel with Vettel and has the measure of Seb (or Seb spins). Saying he was never in trouble is kind of hand waving away how incredible it was he kept those tires on the car for 67 laps. Hell even if the fact that, as you said, he makes no mistakes is a huge mark of his greatness. There have been plenty of drivers in F1's history handed winning and/or dominant cars that didn't go on to capitalize on it the way Hamilton has. Let's also not forget that Hamilton has had three world champions as teammates, and gotten the measure of them all except once (2016).

It's quite possible he leaves the sport with at least 7 titles and a win total in the 100's. Dominant car or not, he's certainly in the conversation for greatest ever, and certainly the greatest of his era.

GnomeTank on
This discussion has been closed.