As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Unclear what type of start it’s going to be at the minute. Talk of a rolling start behind the SC.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    After a couple formation laps behind the safety car, they are now going to do a standing start.

Get ready, this is going to be fun.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Last 50 minutes of the 24 at Spa is going on right now as well.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    What the fuck is going on out there!?

• Options
    Screaming at how long it took them to bring Hamilton in... and then Leclerc binned it.

Then Hamilton binned it for good measure. FFS.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    What the fuck is going on out there!?

The most entertaining race of the season

• Options
    ridiculous penalty. If you aren’t giving unsafe release penalties why bother penalising something that did not endanger anyone?

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    ridiculous penalty. If you aren’t giving unsafe release penalties why bother penalising something that did not endanger anyone?
    What gets me on this one is that he'd have had to go backwards on the track which is a hell of a lot more dangerous...
    Suspect that's it for Hamilton's chances.
    Unless Verstappen fucks up I think he's got this.

• Options
    What gets me on this one is that he'd have had to go backwards on the track which is a hell of a lot more dangerous...
    Suspect that's it for Hamilton's chances.
    Unless Verstappen fucks up I think he's got this.
    Pretty much. Bottas sure as hell isnt going to challenge and all the other contenders are either out or too far back.

• Options
    Another car in the barriers at the drag racing strip. And more pit stops. Given up on trying to figure out strategy here.

More slicks next?

• Options
    Another car in the barriers at the drag racing strip. And more pit stops. Given up on trying to figure out strategy here.

More slicks next?
    Track still seems wet as hell in places so I think slicks are out but who knows.

• Options

More slicks next?
    Track still seems wet as hell in places so I think slicks are out but who knows.

Or I'm completely fucking wrong I guess?

• Options
    Hamilton has no grip. With everyone else on slicks now he’ll have to pit and the penalty means he’s screwed with the field bunched up. Absolutely awful strategy from merc today.

• Options
    Hamilton has no grip. With everyone else on slicks now he’ll have to pit and the penalty means he’s screwed with the field bunched up. Absolutely awful strategy from merc today.
    They should have pit him behind the safety as soon as it happened. Take the 5 seconds and get back behind the pack.

• Options
    yeah he’s just checked out now. What was a good race turned into an absolutely awful one. A combination of terrible strategy, one mistake, a rubbish stewards decision and a ton of bad luck has just killed him today.

• Options
    Holy shit Mercedes

• Options
    Im not even surprised anymore. Merc could have had a 1-3 at worst, and now have nothing. I feel the core of it was some awful strategy decisions.

At least the podium will be strange.

• Options
    What an amazing drive by Vettel.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Ah fuck it let's go with that old Bernie idea of using the sprinklers. I'd watch a season of silly ridiculous races like that.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Please for Kvyat. He just had a daughter born the night before! Now on the podium.
    That's a quality weekend.

• Options
    Post-race
    So yeah, I'm quite annoyed at how badly that went for Hamilton. He was great in the first half of the race, nigh on flawless driving and enough pace to open up a 6-8 second gap. The first mistake was leaving him out on the inters too long. Leclerc showed that they were past it and it was about time for new tyres of some sort. They also missed the window for slicks and put them on when it was just about ready to start raining again - a mistake which may have contributed to him ending up scraping the barrier and losing half his front wing. Cue calamity at the pitstop and a 5 second penalty (which I'll get back to). Every strategy decision after that can only be described as "the wrong one". Frankly it probably would have been better if he just ended up out of the race and saved the engine.

The penalty I consider an absolute nonsense call. His options were drive the wrong way up the track (hello disqualification!) or drive an entire lap with a damaged and slow car in tricky conditions (not at all dangerous that...). The whole point of the rule is to prevent last minute decisions under normal racing conditions. Conditions were far from normal and the pit entry was clear of all other cars. Ridiculous.

Bottas was, as expected, no real threat to anyone in the race and finished it by crashing out.

Gasly just needs to go. It was embarassing.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I loved every second of that... Really good fun!

The smiles on the faces of the podium finishers is pretty damn infectious.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    *having missed most of the rest because I had to live just after the start*

WTH happened?
    I had to leave shortly after Perez crashed. Now looking at the final result.

I mean, yay Verstappen, because required chauvinism I guess. But Vettel ran from 20 to 2? Kvyat? Stroll?

Sure...

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Apparently this was the one race of the season the Netflix crew were following Mercedes. Astounding.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Post-race
    The penalty I consider an absolute nonsense call. His options were drive the wrong way up the track (hello disqualification!) or drive an entire lap with a damaged and slow car in tricky conditions (not at all dangerous that...). The whole point of the rule is to prevent last minute decisions under normal racing conditions. Conditions were far from normal and the pit entry was clear of all other cars. Ridiculous.
    Nah, the penalty was correctly applied. You dont get to decide, as a driver, to disregard rules because they are inconvenient.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i don't understand why a team in Williams' position wouldn't have gambled on softs at the same time as Racing Point, or even sooner. What's the worst that happens, you guess wrong and finish last? If they'd been one or two laps quicker on to soft slicks than everyone else, they might have a car in the points.

what a race

this will be the kind of race you dig up halfway through an offseason ten years from now and rewatch.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Post-race
    Nah, the penalty was correctly applied. You dont get to decide, as a driver, to disregard rules because they are inconvenient.
    Sure, how about for safety?
    Drive the wrong way or with a damaged car are both worse options.

• Options
    Post-race
    When you crash, unsafe things will happen. Dont crash forcing you to drive slowly around the track.

Hamilton actually did the right thing anyway. 5 second penalty would have hurt much less than driving around the track had Mercedes made the right call.

• Options
    This complete 180 by Hamilton fans on how strict rules should be is fucking hilarious.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Three in a row great races. Getting better and better each time.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    evilbob wrote: »
    This complete 180 by Hamilton fans on how strict rules should be is fucking hilarious.
    Because naturally his actions impeded other drivers... wait. Besides, we can just follow the FIA's precedent on their complete 180 on unsafe release penalties. Apparently the most you'll even get for those is a 5s time penalty for crashing into another driver in the pits.

altid on
  • Options
    Three in a row great races. Getting better and better each time.

Well now that you've jinxed it we'll get a zero overtake race next time.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Because naturally his actions impeded other drivers... wait. Besides, we can just follow the FIA's precedent on their complete 180 on unsafe release penalties. Apparently the most you'll even get for those is a 5s time penalty for crashing into another driver in the pits.
    Rarrr. I'm still angry about other times they've been lenient, but clearly they should have been lenient here because it was Lewis.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Rarrr. I'm still angry about other times they've been lenient, but clearly they should have been lenient here because it was Lewis.
    Want to justify the non-penalty for Leclerc then? Please try. Really. The pit lane is the most dangerous area of the race and yet incidents there are being hand waved away with meaningless fines or outright ignored.

• Options
    Post-race
    If he can't safely drive the car around the track he always has the option of parking it and retiring.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Want to justify the non-penalty for Leclerc then? Please try. Really. The pit lane is the most dangerous area of the race and yet incidents there are being hand waved away with meaningless fines or outright ignored.
    Show me where I've said Leclrec shouldn't have had a penalty and explain to me how that has any bearing on what I've said.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Show me where I've said Leclrec shouldn't have had a penalty and explain to me how that has any bearing on what I've said.
    E: Not worth it.

altid on
  • Options

You're insiuiating that I personally only have an issue because it's Hamilton. I'm looking to see if your standards are quite as rigourous. But since you want to take this snide comments I'm not even going to bother anymore.

Ok, cool bro. Look forward to chatting again next time you're trying to aggressively cut off any discussion that doesn't conform to Hamilton good Verstappen bad.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

You're insiuiating that I personally only have an issue because it's Hamilton. I'm looking to see if your standards are quite as rigourous. But since you want to take this snide comments I'm not even going to bother anymore.

Ok, cool bro. Look forward to chatting again next time you're trying to aggressively cut off any discussion that doesn't conform to Hamilton good Verstappen bad.

Now you're just getting ridiculous. I don't even know where you're getting the "Verstappen bad" part from, but feel free to make stuff up. Seems to be a theme here. How about you keep your conversation civil next time rather than childish wind ups?

• Options
    Just thinking back on your thoughts after that Verstappen overtake of Leclerc the other week when for some reason Verstappen being known for hitting people, unlike glorious Hamilton, was relevant.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

This discussion has been closed.