As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Oh and another reason why IndyCar drivers are probably at a lower level than F1 drivers is that IndyCar isn't even the most prestigious/profitable racing series in the USA. Closed wheel racing is just bigger than open wheel racing around these parts. The biggest competition for F1 in Europe for talent is likely rally racing I would assume? Which is a fairly different skillset I feel.

steam_sig.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    On top of only having to know how to turn left.

Indy races on plenty of road courses.

It also helps that Honda is real fast in Indy instead of real slow.

Wasn't the whole reason Tony George destroyed CART was to make it an oval series? Why would they go right back to road courses?

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    On top of only having to know how to turn left.

Indy races on plenty of road courses.

It also helps that Honda is real fast in Indy instead of real slow.

Wasn't the whole reason Tony George destroyed CART was to make it an oval series? Why would they go right back to road courses?

I don't think he broke things apart to make it all ovals, he wanted more power as the president of THE track/event. He first tried to restructure CART so he and other track owners would have more control. When that didn't work, he started his own series and locked CART out of the Indy 500. And to be fair, they didn't "immediately" go back to road courses - it was 10 years between when IRL started and when they had the first road course race.

steam_sig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Holy crap!
    Hamilton 14th!
    KIMI POLE!!!

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Monaco really is a Saturday race. Don't expect too much from tomorrow.
    KIMI!
    Great lap, hope he can convert it to a win (and that Ferrari will allow him to).

Something was definitely wrong with Hamilton's car either mechanically or in setup. The rear just kept stepping out on him all the time. Some great saves that would have put many other drivers in the wall though.

Both McLarens in Q3! Then one of them hit a wall. Both have penalties anyway. Makes you wonder what their star driver could have done with it today (probably not much more to be fair). Still, it's their best chance of points this season.

edited May 2017
    Some interest to be had there at Monaco with strategy, tyres, and a safety car caused by a very weird accident, but not a single on-track overtake as far as I could tell. Which, to be fair, isn't a great surprise.

Jazz on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Haas got two cars in the points! Steady improvement. And Mercedes has to be a little worried about the point gap developing.

Damn shame Hulkenberg's gearbox let go, too.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    :bigfrown:

Another quarter turn and Scott Dixon would be dead.

• StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    Credit to those cars though, that cockpit was basically intact and Dixon got out fairly quickly. Scary to watch live though.

edited May 2017
    I think the only wreck that was scarier to watch as it happened, one that made me immediately stop what I was doing and whisper "oh fuck", was Todd Bodine's Daytona truck crash.

Really glad to see Dixon is ok.

Veevee on
    edited May 2017
    Dixon is a very, very lucky guy. :eek:

YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/0QmrF5p9hEI

(I'm only posting that after seeing the drivers walk away from it.)

Jazz on
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    this is the first Indy race I have watched ever and man it is fun to watch cars pass each other again. Maybe ill finally drag myself to the St Pete Grand Prix next year given that I live like twenty minutes from it.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Holy shit, that crash was frightening!

"How about that."

-Fernando Alonso

:(

• XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    That man must be cursed.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Oh fuck that...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Dammit, Alonso just can't catch a break.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The moral of the story is never buy Honda.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    :(

Seeing a lot of stuff about the Williams 40th anniversary event at Silverstone yesterday. And I'm genuinely upset that I somehow didn't manage to hear about the thing until it was already going on. I would've loved to have gone to that. :(

Quali was pretty fun.
    Hamilton put in a great lap, setting a new lap record in the process. Vettel responded with one that was only 0.004 seconds off. Hamilton then put in an absolutely amazing lap that was a full 3 tenths faster. He matched Senna's pole count at 65 and as a surprise, one of Senna's family presented him with one of Senna's race-worn race helmets.

edited June 2017
    A lovely gesture from the Senna family to give Lewis Hamilton one of Ayrton Senna's original, race-worn helmets on the occasion of Lewis equalling Ayrton's pole record, and at the track where, 10 years ago, Lewis chalked up his first pole and his first win. Really awesome moment.

(Edit: dammit, altid! :lol: )

Jazz on
    Remember when Canada used to be fun

aeNqQM9.jpg
    altid wrote: »

Every time I think that guy can't become any more awesome, he proves me wrong. :+1:

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Just got back from Montreal. Had a fantastic time, that city really does throw a great party.

Went to the Will Buxton Q&A and got to hear all kinds of interesting nuggets. And race day was a blast, even if I baked.
    Shitty that Verstappen drove over Vettel's wing forcing that early pit, and then held up Bottas for a bunch of laps. Pretty much turing the race into Hamilton goes for a Sunday drive, from the word go. But the mid pack racing was good, especially watch Seabs work his way up from 18th to 4th. Wish Massa hadn't been taken out so early too, as it would have been interesting to have a better benchmark for Lace Strolls performance.

Kimi is apparently back into full "I came to Race Sunday, what more you want" mode. What a lacklust effort, didn't seem like he was even trying to pass Occon or Perez.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    Canada was a pretty good race overall, as usual. Definitely one of the best tracks on the calendar.

Hamilton is just a beast around Montreal though. Even without their misfortunes, I doubt either Vettel or Verstappen could have got close. The red bulls did surprise with their initial pace though. Also some poor management from Force India. Should probably have swapped drivers and made sure that the drivers knew it was an order, not a request.

In other news it sounds like McLaren-Honda is set for a split at the end of the season. Mclaren are openly saying this year's engine got worse and they've run out of patience. Unsurprising considering how rubbish Honda have been.

altid wrote: »
    In other news it sounds like McLaren-Honda is set for a split at the end of the season. Mclaren are openly saying this year's engine got worse and they've run out of patience. Unsurprising considering how rubbish Honda have been.

So two of the things to come out of the buxton Q&A.

One, talk is that the next power-unit will ditch all the hybrid stuff and go back to V10s. Because the current engines are just $$$ eating monsters to develop. Like its fun to joke about them, but it's not like Honda doesn't make world class racing engines -turbo'd engines- for a whole bunch of other racing series. And seeing the nightmare of a time they are having, no other companies are going to be lining up to stick their dick in wood chipper.

Second, When Mclaren and Honda were starting this run at things, honda came to them with an engine. Mclaren went 'no it needs to fit in this sized space for our other stuff to work build us a different engine' and that different engine is what they've been running the past 2 years. Then this year, Honda finally convinced them to go back to the original sized engine. So they are basically running the engine they should have run three years ago now.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    The thing is though, Honda just don't seem to be in any way professional about their development.

This year's engine woes started when they left it too late to test the engine running on all cylinders. Updates have been sporadic and McLaren don't know when they're due or what they'll achieve. There was meant to be an update for Canada which was cancelled. There's talk of updates for Baku but again it's uncertain. Honda have talented engineers no doubt (although I'd point out that it's their American division that makes the indycar engines etc, not the japanese one) but they seem to have some serious management and procedures issues that haven't improved in two and a half years in F1.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Considering how things have been going (6 total finishes in 7 races, 2 races where a car didn't even start) it seems like the original sized engine is even worse than what they were running in 15 & 16.

steam_sig.png
    The 24 hours of Le Mans starts tomorrow.

I cannot take another Toyota heartbreak again. It's been so many years in a row, they've been so, so close. I fell in love with the TS030 the first time I saw it (and heard it) in '12, and I want them to get over the hump at the 24 hours so badly.

Staying up for 23 hours 57 minutes last year and was so excited only for them to break down on the start finish line was... awful.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    The 24 hours of Le Mans starts tomorrow.

I cannot take another Toyota heartbreak again. It's been so many years in a row, they've been so, so close. I fell in love with the TS030 the first time I saw it (and heard it) in '12, and I want them to get over the hump at the 24 hours so badly.

Staying up for 23 hours 57 minutes last year and was so excited only for them to break down on the start finish line was... awful.

Thread title updated. :)

Kobayashi was grinning like a Cheshire cat after his qualifying lap yesterday. Toyota have several drivers I like; I hope they can finally do it.

https://youtu.be/V82VU0sDrMY

That's the pole lap. I cannot believe they are flat out about 95% of the time through the porsche curves this year without traffic. That is utterly insane, and Kobayashi hit them basically perfectly. Tertre Rouge being just the slightest lift and instantly back on the throttle is also nuts. The TS050 is so good this year I hope they can bring it home.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Wish it didn't sound like a moped though.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    edited June 2017
    Well, the #8 is leaking some sort of fluid so I'll be shocked if it doesn't go out at some point soon, so it's looking like it's going to be #7 v #1 for the win since the #2 was in the garage for an hour and a half fixing the electric motor and the #9 lost multiple minutes after it got hit by a bollard from the useless ByKolles team going off on tertre rouge and then had a door pop open randomly.

edit: and #7's gearbox just exploded. Only chance for Toyota now is the #1 going out. RIP Toyota :(

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    What a shame for the #7. Really bad luck for all of the Toyota cars today.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.