As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If I were Leclerc, I’d probably just quit Ferrari right now cold. But then I don’t have the temperament to be an F1 driver.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    If I were Leclerc, I’d probably just quit Ferrari right now cold. But then I don’t have the temperament to be an F1 driver.
    Driving for Ferrari has been his dream since he was a little boy, and it was Jules dream as well. I think he'll give them every opportunity to get their shit together...but yeah, this was embarrassing on a new level. How do you not send him out again to make sure he has a clean banker? Just unfathomable.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Remember what I said about Ferrari embarrassing Ferrari? Well, here we are again. Leclerc failing to get out of Q1 is a massive screwup. Vettel was also busy making mistakes all over the place. I still think Vettel is currently the better driver of the two but he's making a lot of mistakes in pressure situations. He isn't alone there though, Leclerc has been making a load of basic mistakes as well (e.g. missing the weigh bridge) but he has inexperience as an excuse for now. I think the challenge of leading Ferrari has taken a toll on Vettel and he may need to just cool off a bit and relax for a while. Accept that this year probably isn't going to happen and just focus on getting fundamentals with his driving and the team sorted out - well, in awhile at least. There's still a challenge worth mounting at this point of the year.

Hamilton really showed how much he wanted that one. In a pressure situation he can break out just enough pace to get what he needs and it makes him incredibly hard to beat. Bottas was probably the faster driver for most of the session, but Hamilton had one chance and he took it (just about, was convinced he threw it in the last corner).

altid wrote: »
    Remember what I said about Ferrari embarrassing Ferrari? Well, here we are again. Leclerc failing to get out of Q1 is a massive screwup. Vettel was also busy making mistakes all over the place. I still think Vettel is currently the better driver of the two but he's making a lot of mistakes in pressure situations. He isn't alone there though, Leclerc has been making a load of basic mistakes as well (e.g. missing the weigh bridge) but he has inexperience as an excuse for now. I think the challenge of leading Ferrari has taken a toll on Vettel and he may need to just cool off a bit and relax for a while. Accept that this year probably isn't going to happen and just focus on getting fundamentals with his driving and the team sorted out - well, in awhile at least. There's still a challenge worth mounting at this point of the year.

Hamilton really showed how much he wanted that one. In a pressure situation he can break out just enough pace to get what he needs and it makes him incredibly hard to beat. Bottas was probably the faster driver for most of the session, but Hamilton had one chance and he took it (just about, was convinced he threw it in the last corner).
    He had a 1:09 if he didn't yeet it through the penultimate corner. Still set a track record, but he would have shattered it without that slide.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The only time I ever hear anything about the weigh bridge is when Ferrari screws it up. Every other team has someone watching for their driver numbers but I guess Scuderia are skimping on personnel or something?

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Leave Ferrari and go where? Mercedes won't dump Hamilton or Bottas for him. Engine situation means it's a two team competition and that's not looking likely to change any time soon.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

The only time I ever hear anything about the weigh bridge is when Ferrari screws it up. Every other team has someone watching for their driver numbers but I guess Scuderia are skimping on personnel or something?

Nah, just lack of attention to detail. They aren't skimping, they have the highest budget in the garage (or second highest, I can't remember if it's them or Mercedes, but they are very close, spending mega bucks).

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It truly is amazing how often Ferrari manages to shoot themselves in the foot.

Watched both F2 races, and they were pretty interesting with a bit of strange red flag drama in race 1 that affected race 2

Veevee on
    Oh yeah, just watched the F2 races. Wild stuff. Can only hope for any drama whatsoever in F1.

Monaco may not be much of an actual race, but it's still one of the best tracks to watch cars go around. Every street circuit wishes they could at look as iconic as Monaco - and none of them ever will since racing around such narrow streets is a daft idea.

Hopefully we'll see something fun with Leclerc out of position, but I wouldn't count on much.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    If it were Verstappen starting from so far back, I would be more excited about some fireworks, as he is questionably ruthless. I don't think LeClerc is quite as ruthless, but I hope to be proven wrong.

As iconic as it is, I find it impossible to get too jazzed about Monaco. I'll watch, but it will likely end up being background noise.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the rain hits.

They should seriously make Monaco like an all-star week thing and do my idea of making it a go-kart race instead.

Alternatively, they could do something like forcing more pit stops with extra super hyper soft tires being the only ones available and maybe severely limiting fuel amounts. Or something. Anything.

Yeah, I would be in favour of it being some kind of exhibition or differently scored race, with some special rules.

One gripe I do have over how Monaco looks - the bloody stupid "picture of the sea" hoarding they've had up at Portier (just before the tunnel) for the past few years. Absolutely ruins the look of the corner. I presume it's there because they're busy ruining the look in some other way and are too embarrassed to show it.

Ok, so this might cause something interesting to happen... 90% chance of rain, apparently.

It was 60% yesterday. Yesss...

0xbzjpiccdxj.png

edited May 2019
    Oh LeClerc, this isnt NASCAR (where shredding the tire is just what you do)

Veevee on
    Based on the BBC liveblog (since I don't have Sky so can't watch live), this is proving a pretty eventful race so far...

I wonder, will Red Bulls argument of "Bottas brought that unsafe release on himself by unsportsmanly slowing us down to create distance between him and Hamilton" will hold up...

Disaster and disappointment is inevitable at Monaco. What’s odd in this case is that Leclerc only hurt himself. The tyre was ruined and the floor is gone.

Clear unsafe release from Verstappen, cost Bottas dearly.

And a few seconds away from a red flag with a track blockage. Amateur hour in Monaco.

Hamilton and Kubica are currently lapping at the same pace.

Drama!

edited May 2019
    Talk about softballing the penalty. An actual literal collision in the pit lane and all he gets is 5s.
    Feels like merc may have screwed Hamilton on tyre strategy. Hope they haven’t.

altid on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Hamilton sounding rattled about the tires.
    Team telling him to suck it up though so we'll see how this ends...

At the minute I don’t think it can be done. The tyres just look awful. I’m worried that they’ll delaminate before the end. Hope I’m wrong. No idea why they went on the mediums. There was no downside to taking the yards around here.

If Verstappen would just back off a car length or 3 in the hairpin he could use his better tires to get a better run in the tunnel to make the pass into the chicane.

Why are all F1 drivers always shit at setting up passes like that?

A mode 7 Honda is still a Honda sadly.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Even if Verstappen gets past he has to get 5 seconds up the road to keep the win.

I don't love Hamilton, but this is a hell of a drive from him.

Regardless of what happens this has been an amazing drive by Hamilton. Just incredible race management

From BBC liveblog:
    ggfb19chxgkg.jpg

That was a Max Verstappen attempt....can't get past the guy? Just lock up and almost end both your races.

Bleh. Classic Monaco with an added dose of engine disparity.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Credit to Hamilton's crew as well, for keeping him on strategy despite all his complaints.

oldmanken wrote: »
    Credit to Hamilton's crew as well, for keeping him on strategy despite all his complaints.
    He had every right to complain. They flat put him on the wrong tire and almost lost him the race. Hamilton willed them past a bad strategy call.

edited May 2019
    Went to check the green flag time for the Indy 500 and I came across this

12:27 p.m.: Flyover – U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight Team (F-16 Fighting Falcon, A-10 Thunderbolt II, P-51 Mustang, P-40 Warhawk)

That might be the best flyover ever.

Edit: time is eastern, race starts at 12:45pm

Veevee on
    Love him or hate him, that was an incredible drive by Hamilton.
    Feel a bit sad for Bottas. Verstappen only got 5 seconds for causing a puncture :/

Now onto the Indy 500 in 45 minutes.

Good morning!

This discussion has been closed.