As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Lots of cars out of position following that beautiful, chaotic Q3. The two big dogs out front without their teammates to back them up, Red Bulls well down, Force Indias well up, Bottas and Hulkenberg charging from the back... should be a cracker.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Quali
    Only caught the half of it, but another great session. Rain always makes it more interesting.

Hugely impressed with Force India. Exactly what they needed coming after a rough time and I really hope they make the most of it.

As a Hamilton fan, I'm always happy to see him work wonders in the rain. Smashing everybody else by 3 seconds was something else (even if it was down to track conditions). Even once evened out he was still nearly 8 tenths faster than Vettel. I doubt it'll go as well tomorrow seeing as Ferrari have a clear power advantage now, but it'll hopefully be a good race regardless. Very unfortunate for Kimi that they screwed up fuelling and left him unable to compete on probably his best track.

• Options
    By the way... another year, another Codies' F1 game, another post of me going on about how good it is.

You already know if you're interested or not, so I'll just say it's another excellent one this year. The lineage of 2016 and 2017 continues most impressively.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Still feeling too ripped off by Codemasters over DiRT 4 to give them more money. Fuck those cunts.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Quali:
    Kimi was very salty with whatever went wrong with his Q3 strategy. Not enough fuel seemed to be the consensus, bugger. Occon sounded genuinely stunned to hear that he qualified P3, it was fantastic to hear. I hope we get a dry, clean start to the race with maybe some rain later on to mix it up

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rumours are flying all over the place on driver moves this weekend. I've heard at various points:

Stroll to Force India
    Ocon to McLaren
    Vandoorne to Sauber
    Ericsson out
    Kubica in to replace Stroll

...and that all of the above could happen mid-season, possibly before the next race!

• Options
    All of those seem various levels of plausible!
    evilbob wrote: »
    Still feeling too ripped off by Codemasters over DiRT 4 to give them more money. Fuck those cunts.

What was up with Dirt 4? Clearly I missed something.

• Options
    Very odd delay on calling an obvious safety car. It was certainly a benefit for one driver in particular.

• Options
    Crazy incidents on the first corner. Very glad that nobody appears to have been hurt.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Textbook illustration of why we have halos now.
    bit of a shame that it was otherwise uneventful post lap 4 or so, but a great result for Force India at least!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Very odd delay on calling an obvious safety car. It was certainly a benefit for one driver in particular.
    As Hamilton basically said in the post race interview, it wouldn't have mattered because the Ferrari is just plain faster and he would have drove by him anyway.

He did not sound excited about Monza, either.

• Options
    Towards the end, when it was uneventful, I started fiddling with the photo mode in F1 2018. Please excuse the crass choice of racing number (I used 42 in the last two games, but have goofed off a bit in this one).

Shots are unedited once out of the game, except for compressing from .bmp to .jpg, and reducing to 1080p from 1440p, because of forum image size restrictions.

The tyre close-up was a bit of an eye-opener!
    lq6ige4qvw5g.jpg
    8dlwtcfbdo1b.jpg
    3t7x0ifp1myk.jpg
    v0xqpjmcf1qj.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Post-race TV:
    A very deflated Toto Wolff on C4. Looks like all the wind has been taken out of his sails. I've never seen him quite like this before.

David Coulthard just said the same.

Coulthard had a slight slip where he mentioned (lead presenter) Steve Jones getting on his nerves a bit... we've been saying this for two anda half years, DC :lol:

Jazz on
  • Options
    News resulting from the first-corner events:
    Hulkenberg will have a 10-place grid penalty in Monza.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    altid wrote: »
    As Hamilton basically said in the post race interview, it wouldn't have mattered because the Ferrari is just plain faster and he would have drove by him anyway.

He did not sound excited about Monza, either.
    Yeah, it was pretty inconsequential in the end. It still seems a bit odd though. It was an open and shut safety car moment.

Merc just aren't on Ferrari's pace anymore really. Ferrari have the better chassis and, apparently, the better engine. There were sectors where Merc could compete, but Ferrari just seems much more complete. Their only hope is either a big step up in their development efforts or just riding out Ferrari screw ups to the end of the season.

• Options
    Also of note: that win means Vettel now has more victories than the great Alain Prost.

That is one hell of an achievement whichever way you slice it.

• Options
    First corner incident:
    Here's some slow motion and zoomed footage courtesy of Sky, showing the collision between Alonso's airborne car and the halo on Leclerc's car underneath.

It's not inconceivable that, had the halo not been there, at least part of Alonso's car, probably the edge of the floor, could have hit Leclerc's helmet - and from that angle it even looks like it had a chance of hitting his visor. Instead, the halo deflected the McLaren away and over Leclerc's head.

Charlie Whiting says it's too early yet to say how much of a role the halo played in protecting Leclerc. I'm sure they have access to far, far more data about the crash than we do. But it looks to me like it definitely did its part.

As always, I'm really glad everyone walked away from that one.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    First corner incident:
    Here's some slow motion and zoomed footage courtesy of Sky, showing the collision between Alonso's airborne car and the halo on Leclerc's car underneath.

It's not inconceivable that, had the halo not been there, at least part of Alonso's car, probably the edge of the floor, could have hit Leclerc's helmet - and from that angle it even looks like it had a chance of hitting his visor. Instead, the halo deflected the McLaren away and over Leclerc's head.

Charlie Whiting says it's too early yet to say how much of a role the halo played in protecting Leclerc. I'm sure they have access to far, far more data about the crash than we do. But it looks to me like it definitely did its part.

It's entirely possible LeClerc could have been fine without the halo, but it would have been an even closer near miss than Ryan Hunter-Reay's near miss at Pocono.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    First corner incident:

It's entirely possible LeClerc could have been fine without the halo, but it would have been an even closer near miss than Ryan Hunter-Reay's near miss at Pocono.

Honestly, I'm just glad we didn't have to find out.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    tired: getting your parents to pay your way into a Formula 1 team

wired: getting your parents to buy a Formula 1 team

can't wait for Perez to smoke Stroll by 1.5s/lap every week and still get fired for it

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    A couple more videos have been making the rounds this morning of the first corner incident

• Options
    Ok, yeah, that second video shows the tire was definitely going to hit LeClerc's head without the halo. He may have come away with just a scuff mark on the helmet or it could have killed or something in between, but I am really glad we don't have to find out.

Still think they should have gone full jet fighter canopy, but I'll take these halos over nothing every single time.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    tired: getting your parents to pay your way into a Formula 1 team

wired: getting your parents to buy a Formula 1 team

can't wait for Perez to smoke Stroll by 1.5s/lap every week and still get fired for it

I'm actually curious if Stroll is the slowest driver in the field, considering he got a podium last year, and Van Doorne hasn't done shit.

And it's not like Sirotkin has impressed either. Is anyone talking about how he just needs a better car? No?

I don't think Stroll is ever going to win a championship, but he's a better F1 driver than anyone posting to this thread.

• Options
    It's a shame Lance Stroll isn't in F1 at the same time as Scott Speed, because Stroll vs Speed would just be funny from a naming perspective :lol:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I don't think Stroll is ever going to win a championship, but he's a better F1 driver than anyone posting to this thread.

Yeah I am way worse. I also have never had even a fraction of a percent of the resources or opportunities he has, so I would hope he would be better. Not to mention the age difference...

To use a local example, the difference in how most drivers go up the ranks is why Matt Kenseth is respected at the local short tracks and why Paul Menard is a curse word. I believe the last time Menard tried to show up and race he left before even getting on the track because people didn't respect the fact that his billionaire daddy bought his way into NASCAR.

Veevee on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Finally got F1 2018 fired up. Takes me so long to dial in all the options and controls before I'm comfortable, but now I've got it. Game is noticeably better for sights, sounds, and feel. And really, that's all I need in an F1 game. Mostly the sound. Sounds so good.

• Options
    Finally got F1 2018 fired up. Takes me so long to dial in all the options and controls before I'm comfortable, but now I've got it. Game is noticeably better for sights, sounds, and feel. And really, that's all I need in an F1 game. Mostly the sound. Sounds so good.

On PC, right? Drop me a friend request on Steam if you like.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

On PC, right? Drop me a friend request on Steam if you like.

Yep, sent. :+1:

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    basically everyone in F1 has been handed their career to one extent or another. and I'm sure at some point many a playboy has just bought/founded a team to keep themselves on the grid, especially in Olden Times

but in the current environment where entry into the sports + being competitive seems to unobtainable, buying out a beloved team and dressing it down to be your personal joyride is uhh. brash.

in any case, I'm a little nervous about F1 right now, because the title fight is basically "as good as it can get" but the on-track action is still pretty bad. i hate this current formula + this years tire. too reliable, not enough deg. they did 25 laps on the supersofts at Spa no questions asked. that's wild.

Not sure what's going on, but we're in an ugly place where the tire is durable, but because the rules say 1-stop minimum, people are still babying them

now if teams could be allowed to do no-stops on the mediums, that would be good

• Options
    I miss the days of two- and three-stop races being commonplace, I must admit. Every race is a one-stop these days if they can possibly do it, even if it means babying the tyres the whole time.

And yeah, remember the heady days of the 2010 season when at the last race, four guys across three teams were still in contention for the championship? Good times.

(I still mentally hand that championship to three guys. Outside shot Vettel actually won it; Alonso would have won it if not for a truly awful strategy call by Ferrari; and Webber would have won it if he hadn't been driving the last four races with a goddamn broken shoulder he didn't tell anybody about because he was just that rock hard.)

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I like F1 but as far as open wheel racing goes the quality of racing, closeness of races, and overall competitiveness almost nothing compares to Indy Car. Unlike F1, almost any team has a chance at winning or at least ending up on the podium of a race. Sure there are standout teams like Penske and Andretti but look at how competitive smaller teams like Schmidt Peterson, Dale Coyne Racing, or Rahal Letterman Lanigan can be. Indy Car has its share of problems as any racing series does but it never fails to entertain me which is something F1 rarely ever does anymore.

The last few races have had me on the edge of my seat willing Alexander Rossi on to finish ahead of Scott Dixon and win the championship. Saturday's race was a real nail biter watching Rossi dramatically slow his pace to make a fuel number to save himself from having to pit again, going a lap down, and hoping that traffic and a lot of luck would work to his advantage. He may not have won but the strategy that won him the Indy 500 worked again, but most importantly allowed him to finish ahead of Scott Dixon.

Cormac on
  • Options
    It's one of the advantages of being a spec series, which F1 never has been even in the days of customer cars.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

What was up with Dirt 4? Clearly I missed something.

Basically everything about it sucked.

They hyped the fuck out of the new handling model as this wonderful continuation of they work they'd in DiRT Rally, but it was flat out broken for anything that wasn't FWD or a very modern 4WD.

They replaced hand crafted stages with a woefully inadequate random stage generator. In Rally you could play for hours never driving the same corner twice, in 4 you'd be driving through the same sequences of corners 5 or 6 times in the same stage.

For some reason they made the AI difficulty scale with which car you were driving. This was flat out broken and made a bunch of the cars impossible to use in single player. Do you like cars like the delta s4 or e30? Too bad, you can't win with them, especially the e30.

The awesome multiplayer league communities that built up around Rally? Well there's no leagues at release because they're making the much better clubs feature to be released soon. (Clubs were basically just leagues but released months after people stopped playing.)

There's a competitive ladder mode! (This mode frequently crashes every 1-2 attempts to play. Every crash locks you out for hours and loses you at least 3 races worth of ladder progress.)

Loads of promises to fix the above that never eventuated or the patches barely improved what they were intended to fix.

Loads of promises for ongoing support and possible future content but all that came after clubs was a shitty esports comp.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2018
    At the F1 Festival in Milan, Vettel was pootling around in his Ferrari, at low speed.

And then he binned it.

One wonders if that is an omen for this weekend... a portent of misfortune, or him getting a shunt out of the way when it doesn't hurt anything but pride? We shall see...

Jazz on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    At the F1 Festival in Milan, Vettel was pootling around in his Ferrari, at low speed.

And then he binned it.

One wonders if that is an omen for this weekend... a portent of misfortune, or him getting a shunt out of the way when it doesn't hurt anything but pride? We shall see...

Aren't F1 cars just really, really bad at cornering at such low speeds?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

And then he binned it.

Aren't F1 cars just really, really bad at cornering at such low speeds?

Well, yeah, but not that bad at like 2mph or whatever it was doing, I wouldn't have thought, unless you had a heavy right foot. But it was a stupidly narrow course, and the cars are rather long, too. At that speed you can see just how awkward and ungainly they can be out of their element.

It's not the first time one has been crashed at one of these demos, and it won't be the last. But it's unusual that it's a four-time champion, and that it's even his current car.

It reminded me a bit of his crash at Hockenheim. Low speed, left-hander, knocked off the front wing, right in front of fans, embarrassing as hell...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ericsson did pretty much the opposite of Vettel today, instead of a very slow corner with only a little dent he went for very fast straight totally wrecking the car. Luckily he's not hurt.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Holy shit that's a big one. Glad he's okay.

That looked like brake failure on the right side of the car, or something similar. He didn't make any weird moves, just hit the brakes for the chicane, the car speared off left which he naturally counter-steered against, and wallop.

Edit: apparently it was a DRS failure. Leclerc's car was getting thoroughly looked at as a result. Looks like it was sticking open on both cars.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Yeah, losing 1000 pounds of down force on the rear end will do that.

This discussion has been closed.