As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    For me there's no question that Ocon has more upside as a driver than Bottas. Hamilton has a lot of theoretical years left, but once he's done chasing numbers and passes 91 wins and 7 titles, we'll see if his will to keep putting up with the F1 circus stays strong. I think Ocon would be challenging Hamilton more in that car than Bottas is now.

Ocon has that special driver magic Peter Windsor talks about a lot. That smoothness and preciseness of tiny inputs that allows them to eek out a tenth here or a tenth there at specific points on a circuit. The delicate braking required to correctly take an F1 car through a lot of double apex corners is a common example. Verstappen, LeClerc, Vettel and Hamilton all have it in varying degrees. I think Ocon is in that camp.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    My impression of Ocon is tinged by that screwup in Brazil unfortunately. I didn't pay enough attention to him outside of that to really judge him as a driver.

Merc also have Russell waiting in the wings, but as he's in Formula Williams and beating up on a not particularly quick Kubica there's even less information on how he would perform than Ocon. It's a pretty big problem for Merc in general that they don't really have a "B-Team" to throw drivers in right now. Compare with Red Bull/Toro Rosso or Ferrari/Alfa Romeo for example...

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Russell can at least point to consistently beating his teammate (much as it pains me to see Kubica constantly trawling around at the back), and the fact that he beat Norris and Albon last year in the same car, themselves both very impressive drivers this year too.

Russell may literally only be racing Kubica this year, but he has credentials he could point to with some validity.

Does Merc really need a B-Team when they are the absolute cream of the grid? Every driver on the grid would like a Mercedes seat. Obviously contracts and legal issues get in the way of Merc just cherry picking whoever...but there are ways around all of that. See the persistent rumors of Verstappen having an exit clause in his Red Bull contract structured around Red Bull cutting the gap to the top teams, and if they don't, he's free to take his driver option and go to one of those teams. "Those teams" being Ferrari and Merc, both of whom would clear a seat for him given that he's likely going to be a championship caliber driver for a decade or more.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Never fails to make me hype, even in a boring season

rydd6iqv8o21.jpg

edited June 2019
    F1 2019 update: got started in career mode, and the F2 prologue and cutscenes with your two "rival" characters (your friendly and sportsmanlike F2 teammate Lukas Weber and the arrogant dipshit Devon Butler) are actually pretty effective at setting up a different feel to the game. Both those other drivers also follow you into F1 (taking the place of actual drivers; while I went to Toro Rosso this go around, Weber went to Alfa Romeo and Butler went to McLaren, so we displaced Kvyat, Giovinazzi and Sainz respectively, although it's worth noting that unlike previous games I didn't get to choose who I replaced, which was weird), and the story presumably continues in time - I'm only up to just before the Bahrain GP race, so not far.

Also in every career session so far it's been back to the 60fps I'd expect. So I fully expect that to get tidied up in a patch. There's been the odd minor issue that needs a fix - flickery hands in a couple of cutscenes and some odd typos in one description leap to mind - but nothing gamebreaking. Still strange to see issues like that, though.

And finally there's some new podium animations. That's really refreshing after the same ones have been rehashed for so long! Human characters look better than ever - they're almost acceptable now! - and are far more expressive too. Although, oddly, paddock interviewer Claire seems to have had a change of eye colour. Maybe she got contacts...

Jazz on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    But how does it sound, Jazz? I don’t have time to play so I’m holding off for a sale later.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    But how does it sound, Jazz? I don’t have time to play so I’m holding off for a sale later.

Tiametmarduk plays through every year - watch a couple eps to see if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXYtQ56jspA

I'm probably going to be getting F1 2019 once I get a new wheel - hopefully in a couple months. Decided I'm barely touching my Rift these days anyway, so the lack of VR is no longer no sale. :P

Nova_C on

At least as good as 2018 did, so far. Even the quality of the voice acting seems to have ramped up a notch. But the sound effects, mix, background noise, incidental music and so on seems pretty exemplary so far.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think I'm probably going to skip the F2. I like the idea of it, but I don't like the idea of having two additional fictional drivers inserted into the F1 grid alongside me, for a total of three real drivers gone. Just takes something away for me, particularly since the F2 section, from watching on YouTube, is nowhere near long enough to actual form any emotions or connections to any of the people involved, and the story appears to end as soon as you're into F1, so they just become meaningless fictional names after the 10-15 minutes of the intro.

edited June 2019
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I think I'm probably going to skip the F2. I like the idea of it, but I don't like the idea of having two additional fictional drivers inserted into the F1 grid alongside me, for a total of three real drivers gone. Just takes something away for me, particularly since the F2 section, from watching on YouTube, is nowhere near long enough to actual form any emotions or connections to any of the people involved, and the story appears to end as soon as you're into F1, so they just become meaningless fictional names after the 10-15 minutes of the intro.

You can indeed just skip the F2 prologue altogether, and just hop into your F1 career the same as in previous games, and Weber and Butler won't appear. (In my game, I don't really miss Kvyat or Giovinazzi, but Sainz was a bit of a sad loss.)

And if you want you can just go and run an F2 championship aside from career mode as well (or single races & time trials, of course). It's certainly worth giving the cars a spin, they're meaningfully different from the F1 cars but still plenty fast enough not to be overwhelmed by the GP circuits.

Jazz on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    My plan is to think of it as I am in F2 in 2019, and F1 in 2020.

Edit: This is apparently going to unlock right as severe, possibly tornadic, storms are going over. If I have to be in the basement instead of racing, someone is going to be in trouble

Veevee on
    edited June 2019
    I'm gonna pick up F1 2019 tomorrow. Since my VR headset is broken, and I don't want to replace it until my Valve Index reservation comes up, I'm stuck single screening it. Perfect excuse to play F1.

e: Bought. Hopefully my direct drive wheel works without too much fuss.

GnomeTank on
    edited June 2019
    My DD1 with the F1 rim was easy enough to setup...which I would hope, since it's like the official F1 esports gear lol. At some point I'll attempt to get my clutch paddles working as actual analog axis.

Drives pretty well so far. It's definitely simcade, but it feels excellent. Definitely gives a great sensation of speed. My "real sim" driving skills translate well enough. I wish the car gave a bit more feedback during over steer, but I probably just need to mess with the force feedback settings a little. There is a tire effects slider I may need to pump up.

GnomeTank on
    Couple things I've noticed about F12019. Note: PC using an xbox controller.

Brake temp makes a huge difference. Once the brakes hit red temp the brakes seem to just stop working.

I think this might be a bug, but in trying to calibrate the controller I noticed that I have a lot of control over the brakes until the game registers 100% brake and then it stays at 100 until I let go of the brakes. So I can do 25% pressure then 75% then down to 50% without problem, but once the game registers 100% pressure it stays that way until I fully release the brake.

The kurbs are fucking dangerous. Holy shit, stay off of them at all costs.

The kurbs being death sounds like a controller thing. I ride the kurbs quite a bit on my wheel and it's fine. It's definitely bumpy, you feel it through the wheel, but unless you're hitting a very high kurb or a sausage, it's controllable and worth a lot of time at some corners.

Depends on the kerb. Turn 5 in Australia is lethal if you ride the inside kerb. Using flatter kerbs (well, rumble strips) on the outside of corners is usually safe, but a higher one (not even a sausage kerb) on an apex can drag the car into a spin quickly.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Free practice 2 at Austria today(in the real world) proves that the kerbs/kurbs/curbs (what a fun, varied word!) are to be avoided at all costs.

It's a proper racetrack, is Austria. :+1:

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    When you say kerbs, I think rockets, not racecars.

edited June 2019
    I use kurbs because it is german for curbs, and it's the term the FIA uses for them.

Edit: Because we are all using different game systems to play F1 2019, and since this doesnt have cross platform play (Anyone on steam, look for me), I thought we could record the car we use for our first championship season, and report quali and race results. I'll get us started.

I tried doing the F2 preview, but those annoying unstoppable cutscene got to me so I restarted and jumped straight into F1 taking Norris' ride at McLaren. AI is set to 90, ABS/Med TC/2D Brake Line turned on, using Manual without clutch.

In Australia, I qualified 11th with a 1:25.980 (Sainz was 18th). Finished 7th, 26 seconds back to Ferrari's 1-2. Fast lap of 1:28.456. Only DNF was Sainz due to a mechanical failure :?

...I might up the AI to 100.

Veevee on
    I started last night but I haven't done the first race yet. ABS/TC/Line off (expert mode), manual with clutch paddles. I'll try and do Australia tonight and see what times I get. I'm a Mercedes fan but it feels like cheating in these games, so I may run Racing Point.

edited June 2019
    The one year (well, the first since 2016) that I go for the Xbox version**, and this is the year everyone* actually decides to get the game, and does so on Steam. :razz:

* - just my perception. The last couple of years it's seemed like most held off, at least at launch.

** - I wanted a physical copy with Senna and Prost on it, dammit. (PC physical copies don't count - not that the Legends edition got a physical PC release anyway - as they might as well get chucked out after using the Steam key, although funnily enough they are some of the best physical releases of PC games these days. I got 2017 and 2018 as physical PC copies because they were significantly cheaper than digital, despite including Steam keys!)

Jazz on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    On the one hand I love that F1 2019 has the F2 season and cars.

On the other, that career thing almost made me hate it entirely. "How about we drop you in the middle of a race, with a setup that maybe was designed by a masochist, and hope you do the best."

Seriously, it was only until the last race where I had some semblance of control over it. I like the cars... when I get to set them up.

Oh well, grabbed an Alfa Romeo first F1 season. Let's see how that pans out.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    The first time since Bahrain that Ferrari look able to being the fight and... oh dear.

That was the most exciting qualifying session all season so far.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Great lap from LeClerc

Do we know what happened to Vettel?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited June 2019
    Drovek wrote: »
    Great lap from LeClerc

Do we know what happened to Vettel?
    A problem with the air pressure line to his engine.

Also Hamilton has a three place penalty for impeding Raikkonen. Magnussen gets a five place drop for a gearbox change.

So it's now:

Leclerc
    Verstappen
    Bottas
    Norris
    Hamilton
    Raikkonen
    Giovinazzi
    Gasly
    Vettel
    Magnussen

Er, I think, anyway!

Jazz on
    This is going to be a hell of a race no matter what happens.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Leclerc vs. Verstappen at turn 1 is going to be worth the price of admission alone

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2019
    Lewis got promoted to starting 4th, for some reason or another. A grid penalty to someone else I guess?

I'm a Hamilton fan, make no mistake I want to see him take his 6th title this year...but I really want to see Charles win this race.

GnomeTank on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Quick video explaining the penalty positions. Seems quite arcane. Basically Hamilton got into position 4 instead of 5 because Magnussen got penalised first... Like that should matter. But it does! F1!

https://youtu.be/3Cj6WJBD_GE

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2019
    I don't have anything against Leclerc really, but I've hopped aboard the "Merc to win every race in a season" train and kinda want to see it through! I'm sure it would be considered awful for the sport and all that but let's just go all or nothing on it.

More realistically, I just don't think Leclerc will win. Ferrari are already on an alternate strategy to RB/Merc (and this is a Ferrari strategy we're talking about here), he has made a few mistakes in races this year and will have to cope with likely either Verstappen or Hamilton pressuring him if he can't simply drive away from them. His safest race is probably if Bottas gets into P2. Also hoping Norris gets a good race for a change.

altid on
    Race
    Awful start for Verstappen, Bottas p2. Only Ferrari strategy can beat Leclerc now.

what a fucking race so far

edited June 2019
    Gasly remains awful. So awful this doesn’t need a spoiler.

altid on
    edited June 2019
    Vettel is reeling in Bottas while Bottas is losing ground to Leclerc.

FERRARI ONE TWO?

Dhalphir on
    A pity that Hamilton dropped out of the fight due to mechanical. Bottas simply isn’t a threat. Merc seem to be struggling with temperatures in general.

After the pitstops the gap Vettel -> Bottas was 7.5 sec and Bottas -> Leclerc was 3.5

20 laps later it's now Vettel -> Bottas 3.5 sec, Bottas -> Leclerc is 4.5

Ferrari has this track figured out.

Unexpected pit stop for Vettel. Probably won’t matter in the long run.

Also don’t need to see crowd shots before the overtake is completed

This discussion has been closed.