As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Ferrari made a ton of tactical mistakes throughout the season, so it wasn't just Vettel that let Ferrari down. Someone had to get the blame for a disappointing season coming in 2nd in the constructors championship and 2nd and 3rd in the drivers championship, and I guess the bosses decided it was Arrivabene's fault.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Well, let's face it, they were never going to decide it was Vettel's fault and boot him out.

It wasn't solely Vettel's fault, of course, but goddamn did he manage to throw away a lot of points on his own.

Still, the buck stopped at Arrivabene's door. Ho hum.

The new rules & regs for 2019: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-rules-and-regulations-what's-new-for-2019.2DIt7TEs9YqI8IY6mEcwsM.html

Too long to copy & paste, but there's some interesting new stuff I didn't know alongside things like the aerodynamics changes. I particularly like the rear wing endplate lights, they look pretty awesome. Not sure about how the self-scrutineering is supposed to work, though...

I like the Self-Scrutineering as long as there are very harsh penalties for being caught cheating. Lose 25 points at minimum type of penalty. This might be the NASCAR in me, but auto racing is in part about pushing the envelope, and that envelope includes the rules. A harsh penalty will cut way back on the cheating by teams competing for the championship, but a mid-pack team might risk it to make them more competitive. Note that this does not include cheating on safety equipment. No team should ever cut any corner in regards to anything related to anyone's safety.

I like the change to add 5kg of fuel, and the way driver's weight figures into the overall cars weight is a nice touch, too. (For us Americans, 80kg is roughly 180 pounds)

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Gotta love this one, after a goof up last season. Emphasis theirs:
    End-of-race signal: The traditional chequered flag is still shown as well, but the official end-of-race signal is now a chequered light panel at the finishing line.

steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Self-scrutineering is a fucking disaster of an idea - the first thing to go out the window will be all of the fucking rules.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i had a dream last night that McLaren won pole at Australia

so i guess my dinner was laced with acid or something

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    A video interview with Sophia Floersch who had that really nasty accident in Macau a few months ago. I'm amazed how vividly she remembers the crash. I seem to remember most drivers who have similarly awful accidents remember little to nothing about what happened. Glad to hear she's doing well and will be back racing later this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya1osbup_lM

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Sophia Floersch and Billy Monger are goddamn inspirations and I hope they both go on to great (well, even greater than they've already achieved) success in their racing careers. I don't know (who does?) if either will ever make it to F1 but I hope they do. And I hope they kick ass when they do.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Alonso won the 24 hours at Daytona and won Le Mans last year so I guess all hes got is sebring now for the triple crown

icGJy2C.png
    He's still got to get the Indy 500 for the Indy/Le Mans/Monaco triple crown too.

Too many triple crowns! (He'll probably collect the lot before long...)

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Toss in a Daytona 500 and Indy championship and hed do the Andretti!

icGJy2C.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A Triple Crown of Triple Crowns!

might be working on that Indy 500 for a looooong time. that race seems truly random these days

kind of like how the Daytona 500 has been for years now

eventually the cars outgrow the track

amazingly we've got F1 testing in just a few weeks... looking forward to seeing Honda/Red Bull 2 seconds clear of the field followed by the public execution of all McLaren leadership

God I wish McLaren could get their shit together in F1. I love that name, and they're dragging it through the fucking mud. Same with Williams.

God I wish McLaren could get their shit together in F1. I love that name, and they're dragging it through the fucking mud. Same with Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRiAdztUDZk

It runs! What more could you possibly want?

...oh, right. F1 Points. Yeah, it'd probably be nice to get more than the American team.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    ...Piers Morgan just always comes across like a dick, doesn't he?

jimb213 wrote: »

It's just the face. And the things that he says. And the things that he does.

steam_sig.png
    TeeMan wrote: »

It's just the face. And the things that he says. And the things that he does.

Sophia having to get interviewed by him is literally adding insult to injury.

Piers Morgan is the kind of irredeemable miserable fucking prick that the world would be better off without, to be perfectly honest. Hopefully he gets hit by lightning or a meteorite or something, and he finally becomes useful as compost.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Haas are first out with the paintjob this year

I like it but I'll miss the red and grey a lot. Fingers Crossed that Renault have gone for a classic yellow otherwise it's going to be murder to tell them apart

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    That's pretty gorgeous. If Renault aren't going to use it (and why would they, they aren't Lotus any more) then I'm glad someone is! And it's a good interpretation of it too.

Nah, that's just a bog standard modern f1 livery. That looks like something I would have made in Forza, and I am not a great livery maker.

I do love how they just threw the Haas on the side in all caps. Positively screams "We are Americans!"

edited February 2019
    I disagree; the black & gold is a classic with decades behind it (albeit entirely associated with a different team! That's the weird bit) and I think it's a nice example of it.

Opinions! :)

Jazz on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Somehow makes me think of a bottle of Jägermeister. Must be that logo and the retro paint combination. I remember havin toy cars with that colour scheme as a child.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Nah, that's just a bog standard modern f1 livery. That looks like something I would have made in Forza, and I am not a great livery maker.

I do love how they just threw the Haas on the side in all caps. Positively screams "We are Americans!"

I mean, that IS the Haas Automation logo...

Truly who would just put the name of their team on the side of the car, amateurs...
    so6etujt72xq.png

Anyway, I think it looks cool but the gold is too dark/dull to stand out when it's in motion.

steam_sig.png
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Truly who would just put the name of their team on the side of the car, amateurs...
    so6etujt72xq.png

Anyway, I think it looks cool but the gold is too dark/dull to stand out when it's in motion.

Red bull gets away with it because they are also the sponsor, and it works with the overall livery. The Haas car looks like they realized they have a plain solid black side so they haphazardly threw on the Haas logo.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    What are you all on about? Clearly that HAAS logo is italicized.

Seriously though, I like it but can see how others might not. I get confused by the liveries sometimes and wish they were all just solid, identifiable colors for each team during the race. Heck, and each team’s raced is just two sequential numbers so I don’t have to try to remember who is what number all the time either.

But again, I understand the argument for fancier details too, those can be fun as well.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

so6etujt72xq.png

Red bull gets away with it because they are also the sponsor, and it works with the overall livery. The Haas car looks like they realized they have a plain solid black side so they haphazardly threw on the Haas logo.

Haas Automation is also a sponsor. And the previous cars had the exact same logo in the exact same location, but in red.

steam_sig.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Looks good but it would look that little bit better with gold wheels.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    its ok. i dont love it... a little too simple. hopefully they invest the money they saved on paint design into some brakes

I don't think they've quite struck the balance of being simple yet distinctive. It's just kind of, black and plain

steam_sig.png
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I kind of like the Haas livery, but man I hate the front wings on F1 cars. The cars look so much better (though almost certainly they would be slower) with a simpler front wing design.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2019
    Black with gold highlights is an all-time classic:

image-1112886-galleryV9-rmhb-1112886.jpg

Shame that HAAS car doesn't look as good as Mansell's old Renault!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2019
    I just think it's lazy to slap some yellow/gold elongated U on the top of the nose cone and call it a day. Mansell's works because they took the gold highlighting and used it on all of the parts of the car. If the wings and side pods were taken off of Mansell's car you would still know what car that is for. If it wasn't for the giant HAAS on the sidepod you could not say the same for the Haas design.

Now, maybe this is a good thing and they put much more effort into the actual design of the car.

Veevee on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I think it looks 'good' insofar as it's aesthetically nice, but it is very generic. It doesn't really stand out. It's almost just straight black.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's a bit funny to put gold lettering on you car literally spelling "rich"

edited February 2019
    they were obviously shooting for the Lotus look but failed to obey any subtle design principles that went into making that look so iconic

The gold is evidently to do with the "Rich" brand, but on the engine cover the logo for Rich is just slapped on straight around the air intake like an afterthought, ignoring the physical geometry of the car completely and catching the light badly. There is no gold trim anywhere on the car but the nose, which is a total waste

The HAAS logo is white (see Goodyear, ELF logos on the Lotus) for some reason and in a completely different font from Rich, which would be acceptable if it weren't 5 feet wide and a foot tall.

And then a random blue Peak logo that was taken directly out of someone's inbox and slapped straight into the Illustrator file and didn't bother to try to integrate it into the rest of the car (how about some nice Peak blue mirrors?)

If it wasn't for a single piece of gold trim on the nose, it would look exactly like a NASCAR also-ran livery. Just a black car with some logos taped on the night before

Jasconius on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Toro Rosso looks like a Toro Rosso. I can't see any dramatic livery changes from the last couple of years, but that's unsurprising really because it's pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14FLAUOIbl4

Does look suspiciously like a CG render though.

Williams are up next this afternoon. Will it be white again or will it be Rothmans?

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    With that tagline, it had better transform into an alien robot. Since it's an F1 car, I'm assuming Mirage.

This discussion has been closed.