As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Ricciardo out qualifying not only his teammate but both Red Bulls and Bottas.

Sure, he probably only beat Verstappen because of Magnussen crashing and red flagging Verstappen's lap, but second row is second row. The Renaults found some real pace.
    Yeah, so nice to see Ricciardo and Hulkenberg had a good day. Long overdue.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    "He gave it full beans, and the rear tires were like 'You're kidding me. I can't do that.'"

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Come on SBS, where's the w series race! I know Australia is a tiny market for this sort of thing but if a vested fan super keen to follow the series can't catch the race even after the fact, what hope does it have here

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What is everyone's prediction for how Ferrari is going to screw this up?

My money is on pitting under a safety car after the field has bunched up

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    What is everyone's prediction for how Ferrari is going to screw this up?

My money is on pitting under a safety car after the field has bunched up

Hanging LeClerc out to try to defend Vettel from Bottas and the rest, having him pitstop too late and ruin the rest of the race.

Not sure if I would put money on a Wall o' Champions appearance.

Ricciardo finds the "Make this go fast" button and gets a 3rd place.

Well, not sure if realistic, but at least it would be interesting.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    It's a hard one to call. If you believe the practice analysis, Merc have 0.5s per lap advantage in race pace. The Ferrari's however are very, very quick in S3 with could make it hard to overtake/easy to be overtaken. Then there's an out of position with choice of tyres (so possibly counter-strategy) Verstappen to deal with.

• Options
    Oh come on, F-fucking-1-TV, you want to have issues now?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Wrong thread!

Jazz on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

So its not just me? Crap.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »

So its not just me? Crap.

They should pay their engineers a living wage or something, because there is no fucking way that at this time they don't have this nailed down.

EDIT: So now it's even logging me out, which means their identity servers must be burned to a toast. Or they did that to unload the demand.

I think I'm gonna watch this as a rerun, but fuck them.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    One of the stranger retirements I've seen...

• Options
    That is one bullshit 5 second penalty ...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Ghet absolutely fucked. Fuck this fucking sport.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Ugh what a way for that to end...
    I'm the biggest Hamilton homer in the world....but Vettel got fucked. What a ridiculous penalty. Lewis had every right to complain, it was dodgy, but the stewards should have just said racing incident. I still think Lewis had the pace to get by him on the track. We finally got our Vettel vs. Hamilton duel and the FIA bumbles it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Fucking cowards. Finally have a challenge for the first time all season and they piss and moan for a bullshit penalty to negate it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Holy shit, Vettel stormed out...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Fucking cowards. Finally have a challenge for the first time all season and they piss and moan for a bullshit penalty to negate it.
    If Hamilton drives you off-track, it's racing. If you rejoin after an error, it's unsafe.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Sigh, this one is going to bring out the Hamilton haters in full force.

Yes, it's harsh. No, nobody wants to win a race like that. But it was fair. It was a mistake and Hamilton had him but for being driven towards the wall. Hamilton should not lose time due to Vettel being unable to control his car. It's the responsibility of the rejoining driver not to cause an accident.

• Options
    It was a shit penalty, but lets not pretend Mercedes or Hamilton are unique in complaining about something like that. Every team and driver on the grid would have reacted the same way and complained about unsafe reentry. The guy who almost got put in to the wall has every right to complain. It's on the stewards to be the cooler heads and they dropped that ball big time.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    First of all, that was a bullshit penalty, and I was eating up every little post race mini-protest from Vettel.

Second, by the book, that was a good penalty. To the FIA, Vettel should have come back on slower and stayed left. In reality we all know that was not possible, but the FIA doesn't care about reality.

Veevee on
  • Options
    It was entirely possible if he didn't try immediately flooring it.

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    It was entirely possible if he didn't try immediately flooring it.

You usually only give the place back if you gained an advantage, but he rejoined and kept fighting for his place.

The only problem now is that it's not the first time it has happened, and before they would "let them race." And now they decided to penalize this, in spite of the fact that we are getting no racing at all, the moment we actually get some racing going.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    He blocked Hamilton from using a better line (one that's actually on the circuit) and traction to get past him. If Hamilton doesn't have to slam the brakes on to avoid an accident he's past. That's a pretty clear cut advantage.

• Options
    He blocked Hamilton from using a better line (one that's actually on the circuit) and traction to get past him. If Hamilton doesn't have to slam the brakes on to avoid an accident he's past. That's a pretty clear cut advantage.

That's pretty much how Hamilton drives people off the circuit.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Edit: Getting too aggressive.

altid on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    thank you to the FIA for ruining what will probably be the only competitive race this year

In the most extreme interpretation imaginable, Vettel didn't have control over his car until all but the final 2 feet of his track out. You can't tap the brakes in the grass. You can't tap the brakes when you're countersteering on dirty pavement.

Vettel is a passenger. Any act more cautious than what he did is a nearly guaranteed spin in a car that is already visibly loose. He has the right to not knowingly wreck his car. Also considering that if Vettel loses total control coming out of the grass, there's a high likelihood he takes out Hamilton in the process.

Total disgrace

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I thought your pre-edited post was spot on @altid . There's a big difference between hard racing and being out of control and almost wiping out a competitor. I think the penalty was crap, but lashing out at Hamilton as somehow a dirty driver (which he has zero reputation of being) because Vettel screwed up is unfortunate.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I thought your pre-edited post was spot on @altid . There's a big difference between hard racing and being out of control and almost wiping out a competitor. I think the penalty was crap, but lashing out at Hamilton as somehow a dirty driver (which he has zero reputation of being) because Vettel screwed up is unfortunate.

Yes, in the first case it's entirely the choice of the driver 'hard driving' another competitor out of the track, in the later, it's trying to regain control after you lost it. Might disagree there which one is worse, but to be honest I can't take the fact that even if Hamilton is a good driver and he's pretty much on the best machine in the grid, that they are still handing things to him like that.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Jasconius wrote: »
    thank you to the FIA for ruining what will probably be the only competitive race this year

In the most extreme interpretation imaginable, Vettel didn't have control over his car until all but the final 2 feet of his track out. You can't tap the brakes in the grass. You can't tap the brakes when you're countersteering on dirty pavement.

Vettel is a passenger. Any act more cautious than what he did is a nearly guaranteed spin in a car that is already visibly loose. He has the right to not knowingly wreck his car. Also considering that if Vettel loses total control coming out of the grass, there's a high likelihood he takes out Hamilton in the process.

Total disgrace
    So what is Hamilton supposed to do in this scenario? He didn't make a mistake. He stayed on the circuit. He drove on the racing line. He had better traction and will accelerate past Vettel... except he's had to brake abnormally to avoid hitting Vettel. That's more or less the crux of the issue. Hamilton was forced to drive in an inefficient manner to cover for his competitor's mistake. If Hamilton is slightly further back, Vettel gets away with it.... but also gets passed by Hamilton immediately.

For other parts of the race:
    McLaren had a pretty awful day. Rubbish stuck in Sainz' car forcing a way too early pitstop and the brakes literally melting Norris' car. A real shame as he was doing pretty great up until then.

Bottas was poor with a relatively anonymous day, mostly stuck behind various normally-midfield cars. It would seem either Merc were running a more significant amount of downforce than others, or their engine isn't that much more powerful than others.

Leclerc had a pretty average weekend too. Only vaguely in touch with Vet/Ham and thoroughly outpaced by Vettel all weekend. Ferrari did, of course, throw in a messed up strategy for good measure though (even if it cost him nothing).

Renault had a very good day mixing it up towards the front. That said, I thought Danny Ric's defending against Bottas was debatable. It seemed to me that he was moving about an awful lot more than is typically allowed and Bottas was definitely forced to get off throttle to avoid running into the back of him at least once. I'd like to see a replay before passing judgement though.

Red Bull, well mixed fortunes. Verstappen had a good race despite the tyres being a bit rubbish in the first laps. Gasly just isn't at the races. While allowance has to be made for Verstappen being extremely good, Gasly is basically in a lower league right now. He should have finished ahead of Verstappen this race, but ended up behind both Renault's. I suspect it's another case of a driver being promoted too soon and not being able to handle it.

Stroll deserves a mention for having a good race for a change! Gets the added bonus of picking (edit: points, plural!) at his home race too.

Don't often mention Williams since they're basically in a different race category right now - and this isn't exactly a good mention either. Kubica finished ~30s behind Russel and qualified ~7.5 tenths off Russel. While it's amazing that he's able to drive at all, he simply isn't competitive. Not that it makes a huge amount of difference in the Williams.

Finally, Magnussen is a prick. When your team boss has to come on the raido basically to tell you to stfu you've gone much too far.

altid on
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

Total disgrace
    So what is Hamilton supposed to do in this scenario?

Qualify better

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bullshit penalty indeed
    As I see it Vettel had 2 other options that he had real control over there, actually t-bone Hamilton, or hit the wall, which of these do the stewards think would have been better?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    So I watched the replay probably about 50 times and
    Vettel fucked up, all 4 wheels off the track and cut hamilton off trying not to crash.
    He didn't intentionally try to make hamilton slam on his brakes but he's gotta control the race car and "I didn't mean to" isn't really a defense for a dangerous action.

I feel for him but what's the alternative? Mistakes have consequences and losing control of your car is a fairly big mistake.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Vettel quite literally reentered the track in such an unsafe manner that he directly impeded the progress of the car behind. The stewards had to either give a time penalty or force Vettel to give up the position. I might have been tempted to do the latter for more exciting racing opportunities but 5 seconds was fine. Could have been 10 and off the podium.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Not useful post was here.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Well, that was a good race until the FIA decided to dictate race winner.

I've seen way worse incidents let go with nothing, including contact that damages cars.

But anyway, not like it matters. Mercedes wins all the races, what the fuck is even the point?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Lots of racing greats weighing in on today's decision:
    https://ca.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-penalty-social-media-reaction/4461263/

That brought me to this clip, which wasn't even investigated:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOyIgMxsllk

Nova_C on
  • Options
    So do we want this kind of thing to be penalized or not?

Maybe a 5 second penalty was too much but he definitely should have had to at least give up position.
    He put himself in the position and then impeded another driver in a dangerous way, whether or not it was accidental is pretty immaterial.

If Vettel hadn't managed to hold it and crashed into hamilton he would have had an even more severe penalty.

It sucks to have a race decided like that but neither the stewards not Hamilton decided to push the car too far and almost lose control and push another driver into the wall. One person alone is responsible for that.

• Options
    If F1 gave a consistent answer to that question, I'd probably be less miffed about the whole thing. A dispassionate reading of the regulations absolutely says Vettel deserved some kind of penalty. Problem is, there's no indication F1 applies the rules dispassionately. They clearly pick and choose when to enforce the rules, and are not consistent about the punishments.

The current state of F1 just kind of exacerbates this, though. Like, even if they had made Vettel let Hamilton ahead, the outcome would have been the same because passing is such a rarity, and even though Mercedes didn't dominate this race, there's no doubt in my mind if Hamilton had pole, he would have led the whole race and never been passed.

This is the first time this season that Ferrari mounted a real challenge to Mercedes, and then with 20 laps to go, the race was decided by regulations and not racing. Will there be another race this year that Mercedes doesn't just run with? I don't know. It sure makes me want to tune out for a while, though.

• Options
    If the FIA doesn't like what happened in that race, then they should give a penalty to the Canadian GP circuit

This discussion has been closed.