As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Any of you guys caught this?

Let's see what comes out of it (or if maybe selling F1 is basically their answer :lol: ) but it's really something that should be addressed. I know old teams have their pull in terms of merchandise and the like, but to outright skew payments that mean life or death in here which is expensive as hell to begin with?

I like also how Bernie said in an interview that he didn't understand the need to do that through the EU, and that it should be resolved from within. Yeah Bernie, like it was resolved last year when they were threatening not to race because of this same issue.

IDK EU 'anticompetative' laws are weird(and imo basically serve as a way for them to hammer nonEU companies for doing too well in their markets), but its a private racing league. If you don't want to be in F1, don't be problem solved. The merch and name recognition really are what drive this. Ferrari as a racing brand is worth infinitely more than Force India or Sauber is.

The problem with that way of thinking is that, unless you have infinity money, becoming the next Ferrari or whichever household name you want to be is pretty damned hard: you are at a disadvantage of experience and development, plus you're getting way less money for it.

And, of course, once you throw infinity money at it, you don't want any newcomer to have anything other than a stacked playing field.

It's a vicious circle that shouldn't be there, IMO, specially considering how close we were to having a third car and the like. Talk about boring.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Whoa whoa whoa, how am I just hearing about this now?

FiA just gives Ferrari $97 million to ensure Ferrari can outspend the other teams?

Awesome.

I wonder how the other teams in the NHL would react if Toronto, Detroit, Montreal, Boston, Chicago and New York had an extra $100 mill of cap space because they're 'original six'.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I already know.

I'm 100% on Force India's side on this.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Current rumblings going around Haas driver #2 being Esteban Gutiérrez.

I'm unsure about the guy, always seemed to me that he lacked actually wanting to fight for it, but let's see how the year in Ferrari treated him.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Gutierrez has been linked with Haas a lot, IIRC, so not a big surprise, especially given that Haas and Ferrari seem to be like this *crosses fingers*.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm the only one that misses JEV :(

Nobody else wants there to suddenly be a French team with no French drivers, and an American team with only French drivers?

• Options
    Khavall wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one that misses JEV :(

Nobody else wants there to suddenly be a French team with no French drivers, and an American team with only French drivers?

Not at all, I really liked JEV and was sad he didn't get the Red Bull nod. Although I've warmed to Kvyat a lot this year and think he has shown he deserves the drive.

F1's loss was definitely Formula E's gain there. Anything that got JEV back would be good with me. Doubly so if it was competitive.

• Options

Raikkonen is also changing engines.

If Vettel doesn't get 2nd and Hamilton wins, Hamilton has won the WDC.

Well...

At least Vettel will probably be interesting to watch going from 13-3 during the race

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Vettels chances at the title were already basically nothing, he's 66 points off the lead. That's at a minimum 2 wins and a second place, without Hamilton scoring anything.

What this might hurt is his lead over Rosberg for 2nd place where he's only 7 points ahead atm.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Yeah, Vettel vs Rosberg is where the action is.

Or should be. Goddammit.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So I was linked a survey that's being conducted by the Motorsport Safety Foundation, which is run by some decent names in motorsport operations you've probably never heard of. Also note, the survey is regarding cockpit designs for all open wheel racing, not just F1

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/cockpitsystems

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I hear the weather forecast for texas over the weekend is "all of the rain". Something to do with an expiring hurricane? I've heard that Sunday might be ok, but that the rest of the weekend is likely to be very disrupted.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    We're supposed to get hit hardest on Saturday... 7-10 inches of rain, apparently.

*looks out office window*

Raining right now, though not too badly.

Worth checking http://kxan.com/ for weather info.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Rossi's got a pretty fantastic endplate for this GP.

JPrice_-7391.jpg

U S A! U S A! U S A!

• Options
    edited October 2015
    altid wrote: »
    I hear the weather forecast for texas over the weekend is "all of the rain". Something to do with an expiring hurricane? I've heard that Sunday might be ok, but that the rest of the weekend is likely to be very disrupted.

Only the strongest hurricane in recorded history (for Mexico, at least it seems?), but it's ok :P

Part of me would love to see a good fight for the title, but at this point that's way too unlikely.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    FP2 is delayed indefinitely...

...And at this point it looks like we'll need to outfit the cars with underwater propellors, Mario Kart style, for the race

Khavall on
  • Options

...And at this point it looks like we'll need to outfit the cars with underwater propellors, Mario Kart style, for the race

I could go for that.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I could go for that.

Bring on the jet-fighter canopies, too

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Grrrr.

Sort of trying to figure out if it is going to be worth trying to use the ticket I bought. Weather looks frigging awful

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Veevee wrote: »

I could go for that.

Bring on the jet-fighter canopies, too

This is, at this point and after everything that's happened in the last couple of years, probably going to make me sound awful. But despite everything, I'm yet to be convinced they're the way to go.

I'm very open to the idea of them getting tested in the harshest conditions, though. In fact I'd really, really like to see data from that so I can make a judgement based on actual facts. I just can't help but immediately visualize a driver trapped in a burning car, possibly overturned, that otherwise he could extricate himself from. Maybe irrational, but that's how I feel. And I know that's happened in open cockpit cars anyway (RIP Roger Williamson, among others).

And yes, I know I've just compared a potentially irrational fear with wanting to see cold hard facts. My brain's a little broken like that.

Jazz on
  • Options
    All the testing has shown that canopies would increase driver safety.

The main argument against them is that if debris hits one if could shoot off into another car or the crowd.

As for the burning car thing, any crash is immediately surrounded by track wardens who have fire extinguishers , and if a crash was bad enough to somehow trap a driver under it then it would probably trap a driver canopy or not.

• Options
    Latest weather update is casting doubt on whether the race will be run at all. Qualifying may get delayed to Sunday morning (not unprecedented, it happened in Japan a few years back). That's if it looks by then as if the race can go ahead at all.

Plus the hurricane is causing worry for the upcoming race in Mexico City, of course, if it causes too much damage in the city.

I just hope the damage overall isn't too awful. It's looking scary. There's a horrible feeling this could be Katrina The Sequel. I wonder how well-equipped Mexico is to withstand something of this magnitude. I mean, the forecast for Texas is terrifying enough, but in Mexico it's just horrendous.

• Options
    Latest weather update is casting doubt on whether the race will be run at all. Qualifying may get delayed to Sunday morning (not unprecedented, it happened in Japan a few years back). That's if it looks by then as if the race can go ahead at all.

Plus the hurricane is causing worry for the upcoming race in Mexico City, of course, if it causes too much damage in the city.

I just hope the damage overall isn't too awful. It's looking scary. There's a horrible feeling this could be Katrina The Sequel. I wonder how well-equipped Mexico is to withstand something of this magnitude. I mean, the forecast for Texas is terrifying enough, but in Mexico it's just horrendous.

The (kinda) good news is that our military is actually kinda competent at things like this.

The bad news is that most cities are just not built for this abuse. I've been in Mexico City with good enough rain (not even torrential) and it gets flooded rather easily in some places. Can't imagine if they get any serious rain from this, so let's see how next week goes for the race.

Heck, I can't imagine the track itself doing too well with too much rain.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options

The (kinda) good news is that our military is actually kinda competent at things like this.

The bad news is that most cities are just not built for this abuse. I've been in Mexico City with good enough rain (not even torrential) and it gets flooded rather easily in some places. Can't imagine if they get any serious rain from this, so let's see how next week goes for the race.

Heck, I can't imagine the track itself doing too well with too much rain.

I hope you're out of the path of it, dude. Stay safe.

• Options
    Thanks.

Over here we'll be in the path, but by the time it reaches us it'll be mostly heavy rain and wind and nowhere near as dangerous.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Thanks.

Over here we'll be in the path, but by the time it reaches us it'll be mostly heavy rain and wind and nowhere near as dangerous.

I certainly hope so. Fingers crossed for you and yours. Keep us updated. :+1:

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I posted a few pictures from the track yesterday on instagram.

I arrived at the track about halfway through FP1. The rain was at most a light drizzle when we got there, but it just kept getting heavier throughout the day.

Gonna skip today, I think. I have work later this afternoon and was going to leave early regardless, and with the gates not even opening until noon now, it's hardly worth driving across town to sit in a tent and look at a flooded track for a couple hours.

• Options
    They haven't said anything yet, but if I had to guess I would say no Qualifying today.

Keeps being delayed in 30min chunks, but the rain doesn't seem to be stopping or even just letting up anytime soon.

• Options
    Ricciardo and Kvyat passing the time...

• Options
    I love how goofy they get in F1 when they're just waiting around.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    It's got to be really really boring to be the drivers/pit crew right now, nothing to do but stare at the rain.

edit: and another 30min delay announced, just do the qualy tomorrow morning and let everyone go home.

Foomy on
  • Options
    In other F1 news, Jolyon Palmer will be driving for Lotus or whatever the Enstone team will be called next year.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Rained-out qualifying is actually shaping up to be one of the best qualifyings.

Powerboat!
    Dancing!
    Rowing! Break Dancing! Slow-mo Break Dancing!

Twitter shenanigans!

Khavall on
  • Options
    Qualifying officially delayed until 9am local time.

• Options
    Best race weekend ever. :lol:
    (Between Mercedes domination and this? No contest :lol: )

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Qualifying was crazy! Everyone slipping & sliding all over the place, with lots of amazing saves coming out of turn 11. The drivers were obviously pushing hard.

And now the vintage F1 cars are taking the track. I'm really surprised they're running. I wouldn't want to risk my 40 year old F1 car out in this weather...

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Are they going to run the race, or do you think the weather will cancel it?

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Are they going to run the race, or do you think the weather will cancel it?

It's clearing up a lot at this point. The Porsche Cup just ran and it was a fun race, so I'm pretty confident we'll have a race this afternoon.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    This should be an interesting race, changing conditions always lead to tightening up the field a bit.

plus you get the strategy of when they swap off inters onto slicks, or back again if it rains again.

my guess is lap 4 for first car onto slicks.

Foomy on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Well, that was...

A race.

EDIT: Actual race thoughts:
    That was the most interesting HAM ROS VET that there ever could've been. What a fantastic race. Big wins for Verstappen, McLaren, and almost for Rossi. Also, a million retirements and Maldonado wasn't any of them!

Sucks about Hamilton winning the WDC here. We knew it was coming, but still.

In other news, Formula E was this weekend too! Beijing isn't a great circuit, but Formula E is still always amazing.

Also there was one point in the race where they just put "ALL TEAMS RADIO" up, and it's, predictably, a total mess.

Khavall on
This discussion has been closed.