As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I would pay to watch BTCC in the states. Is there a good place to get full race replays or, better yet, watch it live?

You could VPN into ITV Player, if that would work (You have to sign in for ads etc because ITV isn't paid for with the license fee as the BBC is). It has the usual post-broadcast stream but also a "watch live" function. On the Sunday they just dedicate the whole ITV4 channel to it so you get eight hours of coverage in one lump.

Hopefully there's other options more relevant to US viewing that someone else can suggest.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Gotta say props to Ferrari/Kimi's race engineer. Never been afraid this season to take a punt on an alternate strategy for him rather than just the same as Vettel a lap or two later which wouldn't help him at all.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Also I'm getting to really like Maurizio Arrivabene, the new Ferrari boss. He is one charismatic dude, and seems like just the sort of guy to head up a historic (and still slightly batshit crazy) team like that.

I still miss Domenicali a bit, though.

• Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Arrivabene look like he could tear a man in two

2LmjIWB.png
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    I do have to feel a bit of sympathy for Marco Mattiacci though. Guy was dragged into the job when it was hardest and kicked out just before he could see the result of his work.

Mattiacci never seemed to engage with the press that much. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I was surprised at how soon after his appointment he was given the boot, though. He's probably responsible for a good chunk of their present successes.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Awesome race!
    Rosberg was out for blood! Nice change from past races.

It also seems we'll have to wait until Canada to see the next upgrade to the Ferrari engine. Can't wait to see if that'll get them in matching pace without strategy stuff. Sad, though, because that'll make life a living hell for Rosberg, and I do wish he has more of a fighting chance for the championship. It just seems that for the first 3 races he just couldn't keep pace.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Jazz wrote: »
    Mattiacci never seemed to engage with the press that much. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I was surprised at how soon after his appointment he was given the boot, though. He's probably responsible for a good chunk of their present successes.

I think the single most important person for Ferrari's current (relative) strength is probably James Allison. He's been there a while now but the current car is the first one he has actually taken the lead on I think. And of course he, Arrivabene (how messed up is it that one of the most likeable people in F1 used to sell lung cancer for a living?) and to a lesser extent Vettel have had a massive impact on the culture and atmosphere at Ferrari. Mattiacci always seemed to be kind of out of his depth to me.

In non-F1 news, Michael Schumacher's son Mick made his official debut in an FIA-sanctioned race series last weekend in ADAC Formula 4.

All 3 races are still available online in full here.

And if anyone else is suffering from F1 withdrawal, next weekend is packed with other great motorsport: MotoGP at Jerez, WEC at Spa and the DTM season opener at Hockenheim.

Xrdd on
    To be fair, F1 as a whole used to promote lung cancer rather prominently. It could be argued that the fact it doesn't now is one of the causes of F1's current finiancial woes, as messed up as that is.

James Allison is instrumental in Ferrari's current success, no doubt. Between him, Arrivabene and the more sunny Vettel in place of the more difficult Alonso, it's sort of a dream team coalescing. I don't care how much Alonso handwaves it away, it's got to be gnawing at him a bit that if he'd stayed on another year... although I understand when he says this has all been promised so many times over the last five years and not happened. I'm more glad that Raikkonen now actually has a good car to fight with and it looks like he's seriously ready to do so.

One annoyance I've found with other motorsport this year is how much the BTCC is clashing with F1. That's irritating.

To be fair, F1 as a whole used to promote lung cancer rather prominently. It could be argued that the fact it doesn't now is one of the causes of F1's current finiancial woes, as messed up as that is.

James Allison is instrumental in Ferrari's current success, no doubt. Between him, Arrivabene and the more sunny Vettel in place of the more difficult Alonso, it's sort of a dream team coalescing. I don't care how much Alonso handwaves it away, it's got to be gnawing at him a bit that if he'd stayed on another year... although I understand when he says this has all been promised so many times over the last five years and not happened. I'm more glad that Raikkonen now actually has a good car to fight with and it looks like he's seriously ready to do so.

One annoyance I've found with other motorsport this year is how much the BTCC is clashing with F1. That's irritating.

On that note, I'm just personally catching up on 2014's DTM to be ready for this year's. Love how they have the entire practice, qualy and race in youtube in nice quality. F1 could really take a page or two from those guys.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Drovek wrote: »

On that note, I'm just personally catching up on 2014's DTM to be ready for this year's. Love how they have the entire practice, qualy and race in youtube in nice quality. F1 could really take a page or two from those guys.

That is goddamned awesome.

Or at least from the WEC or MotoGP, both of which offer a paid streaming option online. Meanwhile, F1 doesn't even have proper live timing available for free anymore.

Xrdd wrote: »

Or at least from the WEC or MotoGP, both of which offer a paid streaming option online. Meanwhile, F1 doesn't even have proper live timing available for free anymore.

I decided to try the BBC's driver monitor thing on their website for the Bahrain GP. Map of the circuit showing the position of all the cars, with times etc too. I gave up on it quickly when I realised it was perpetually running half a lap behind. The idea was nice, though.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Just got done watching Rush and holy hell was it good. If any of you haven't seen it, go and do it now but be prepared to feel like a teeny tiny man compared to the way the movie presents Hunt and Lauda. Which is good, because you absolutely should feel like a teeny tiny little man compared to those two.

New McLaren livery for Spain:

Can't say I'm a fan yet, but I'll see how it looks on track.

It's at least a bit more interesting than the old one

2LmjIWB.png
    #Stealth because they prefer no one notices them on track? :P

Let's hope Jenson can finally drive a race without complications.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    New McLaren livery for Spain:

Can't say I'm a fan yet, but I'll see how it looks on track.

My guess about how it will look on the track is "Slow"

edited May 2015
    Ok I just made fun of them, but p7 in the FP2 Qual simulations is actually pretty impressive.

Poor Williams, Sauber, and Lotus though after their strong looks earlier on, with RBR and STR also pretty clearly making some heavy progress(assuming they can make it through a full race without exploding)

Khavall on
    edited May 2015
    Hilarious that of all the cars, a Mad Max liveried Lotus (poor old Grosjean!)...

Jqw9AgB.jpg

...had to be the one to have its engine cover explode all over the track...

QSPAZty.jpg

...red-flagging the session.

Now let's see if we can get through the weekend without a Mad Max Verstappen joke.

Jazz on
    edited May 2015
    Qualifying results:
    0JiZ90l.jpg

Nice to see Rosberg back on form. Not sure if Vettel and Bottas did great or Kimi and Massa just underperformed.

Sainz taking Alonso's customary place at his home GP is pretty impressive, as is outqualifying Verstappen again.

McLaren might make it into the points soon, Sauber and especially FI are disappointing. Unless they improve significantly over the rest of the season I think Nico Hülkenberg will probably be off to the WEC next year as it doesn't look like a seat at a top team is going to be available for him any time soon and there are a lot of promising younger drivers around. Will still be a shame to see him go, though.

EDIT: F1Fanatic: One of Kimi's set of options was burned by the tyre warmers. Dude has really been having a shit weekend so far.

Xrdd on
    Isn't Kimi still running the old setup? Could be wrong, but might explain why he was slower.
    Not much of a fan of Nico but nice to see him get a pole, hope this race ends up stirring up the championship a bit more.

Otherwise, Torro Roso look nice this weekend. This might end up being the start of a decline for Sauber if they can't keep up with the upgrades.

2LmjIWB.png
    I think Kimi is running the old setup everywhere apart from the rear wing. Not sure why. Some suggestions it was because he preferred the old parts, and others that he wasn't given a choice.

Some vague rumours that Bottas might be moving to Ferrari in the future, probably as a replacement when Kimi retires. Then again, it's F1 - any driver with half an ounce of talent is rumoured to be going to Ferrari at some point in their career.

edited May 2015
    What Vettel said in the post-qualifying press conference makes it sound like it was a team decision to run different configurations on the 2 cars:
    Q: (Luigi Perna – La Gazzetta dello Sport) Could you explain why you and Kimi choose two different configurations – aerodynamic configurations – on the car? You with the new one and Kimi the old one. The reasons and why the different choice.

SV: Very simple. We didn't have the best day yesterday I believe. We both were not entirely happy with how the car felt. I think, as I mentioned before, it was probably tricky conditions this weekend, quite windy, I think the tyres are not working for us as they maybe used to. So, we were not sure about where we were and we decided to split the cars for today.

Personally, I don't think Bottas has been all that impressive so far, compared to Massa. He's solid but I'm not convinced he'd be the best available option. Grosjean could be good, Hülkenberg obviously, maybe Nasr depending on when Kimi retires. If Kimi sticks around for a while, Ricciardo might be an option when his contract with RB runs out. If Sainz actually manages to beat Verstappen over the season he's going to start attracting the attention of top teams as well.

EDIT: Here's Sky's comparison of Rosberg's and Hamilton's qualifying laps.

Xrdd on
    Toro Rossos both looking very strong indeed. Sainz is doing himself no harm at all, especially outqualifying his highly-rated teammate again.

Spain rarely produces a classic race, but there's definitely things to watch for this time.

I really like Sainz. I mean I'm all about buying the Verstappen hype because, well, Verstappen. But Sainz has sort of consistently out-performed VES when their engines haven't been exploding.

Race stuff
    Pretty easy for Rosberg, not much more to say than that.

Hamilton had a pretty bad weekend all round. Seemed pretty clear from Quali that his setup was off. Follow that up with the poor start letting Vettel past on a track where overtaking isn't much of a feature, and a rubbish pit stop keeping Vettel ahead longer and that was his chances of ever challenging Rosberg gone. When he had clear air though he was pretty damned fast, and may have at least caught Rosberg if the pitstop had worked properly.

Mclaren continue to disappoint. Yes they were faster than before, but both their engine and aero seemed poor to me this weekend.

The true hero is Lotus' Jack Man.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    The true hero is Lotus' Jack Man.

_82899037_ajackmanforthelotusf1team.jpg

Just catching up on the race now. Well, trying to, but iPlayer is having issues.

I would do evil things to Suzi Perry. Evil, wonderful things.

Lotus's Jack Man and McLaren's Jack Man. Holy shit.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Lotus's Jack Man and McLaren's Jack Man. Holy shit.

Lotus guy on the front right was also really lucky with his leg.

edited May 2015
    Grosjean
    invented a new sport: bowling with F1 cars. :eek:

Jazz on
    edited May 2015
    So it looks like there's a raft of changes coming to F1.

For 2017, refuelling is back (pending an analysis of its potential costs), although the fuel usage limits will remain. Higher revving and louder engines (still hybrid V6 turbos, though) with a reduction from the current eight gears to six, raising the redline from 11,000rpm to 15,000rpm. "More aggressive" looking cars, with wider cars, wider tyres, larger wings, and reduced weight; the aim is to make them five to six seconds a lap faster, thus redressing some of the speed deficit to the record-fast 2004 cars which were in some cases ten seconds a lap faster than the current ones. Also, the driver's aids for starts will be banned, so starts won't be pre-calibrated and it'll be down to the drivers with hand clutches.

For 2016, "bosses have approved a plan to allow teams free choice of the four available tyre compounds for each race", which should mix up strategies a bit so long as all the pre-race analysis doesn't always draw every team to the same conclusion as to which selection will be fastest.

Hopefully the refuelling won't be set up with some of the ludicrous restrictions that were imposed on it before. No having to start on what was left after Q3, none of that ridiculous "burn off". Let them just do what they will fuel-wise, I say. The maximum amount and fuel-flow rates aren't changing, after all. I suppose it'll all get hammered out in due course.

As for tyres, Pirelli's contract runs out at the end of 2016. It's not certain yet that they'll re-sign or if multiple manufacturers will make a return (Michelin has made interested noises, apparently).

Jazz on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I don't love the refuelling bit, to be honest, so glad that it will be assessed first.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    That's four slick compounds?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Yeah it sounds broadly ok apart from the refuelling. I kinda hope they introduce ground effect and limit downforce from the wings as well.

2LmjIWB.png
    I have mixed feelings about refuelling. While I'd welcome the speed boost it brings, and to an extent the strategy variations, I would miss the stupidly fast wheel changes we have now.

I have mixed feelings about refuelling. While I'd welcome the speed boost it brings, and to an extent the strategy variations, I would miss the stupidly fast wheel changes we have now.

One of the things they want to figure out (according to Toto Wolff) is if they can implement refuelling as fast as current tyre-only pitstops are. Given how much more fuel-efficient the cars are now, it's not out of the realms of possibility.

One of the things they want to figure out (according to Toto Wolff) is if they can implement refuelling as fast as current tyre-only pitstops are. Given how much more fuel-efficient the cars are now, it's not out of the realms of possibility.

I tried looking for information/clips about refuelling before it was abolished, but FOM makes sure you can't see any of that. Some information I did find was that in the past rigs were limited to ~11-12 litres per second, but I can't find anything about the density of the fuel used. Unless they're packing really dense fuel though, I can't see it being faster than a tyre switch. This is before accounting for the rig going on and off as well.

This discussion has been closed.