As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade] Xenoblade 2 coming to the Nintendo Switch in late 2017

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    At chapter 5 and it looks like it's back to the grindstone again. Prone robots wiping my party again and again.

It feels like work rather than fun.

These narrow land bridges everywhere are just mean. I might be done with this game once I get a Skell, my body is clearly not ready to deal with the myriad complexities of this games systems.

The game never really tells you about just how useful Elma's (and the player when they go through the soldier class) Shadowrunner ability is. Build up your TP in a manageable fight near the area you want to sneak by. Activate Shadowrunner. Run like hell for an area where you won't aggro anything once Shadowrunner runs out.

That's how you're supposed to do chapter 5. Nothing in the game told me to do so.

I never used that ability for the entire game.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah the game BADLY needs tutorials. I've figured most of it out by now but I am still discovering little things I didn't know about. I've said it before but I don't understand how Xenoblade Chronicles could be so good with theirs and this game so bad. It's the same studio...

At the very least they really needed a combat one that explained how soul voices and combos worked. Those are pretty important combat things the game never tells you about.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Flight mode obtained! I proceeded to fly around Primordia and got blown up by some random tyrant drone ship at the top of the tallest peak. It was a total ambush.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, reading the manual helps immensely; game should've either included that info, or urged you to read the manual.

Compare to XC, where the first 3 fights quickly show you tutorials for auto attacks, talent arts, normal arts, aggro, and positional attacks.

Enlong on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Dang it. Should I have been going the Elma class route? I'm currently a Psychorruptor.

Ain't no bad classes. Psychocorruptor is just as good as Elma's line, it's just different

Play what you think is cool

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Also you can command Elma yourself if you aren't in a class that has that skill.

• Options
    How do you switch the controlled character/command an action?

On the subject of Psychorruptor, does Brainjack ever work on single bosses?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Switch whatever character you want to control to the top of the active party screen

Bosses and tyrants are immune to brainjack

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Go to the active party screen and put who you want to control first on the list. That's the reason the PC even appears on that list, despite it never being possible to remove them from the party.

I have never actually done this, though. The game seems to, not quite discourage it, but exploring the use of other characters is not what it was in Xenoblade at all. The PC is clearly meant to be your focus.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

This is actually not true. I've successfully used Brainjack on both bosses and tyrants.

Granted, the tyrant I used it on was level 11. They probably didn't expect me to even have Brainjack when I fought that thing.

Story mission bosses are usually immune to Brainjack, but the entourage that they often bring into battle with them usually isn't. But if it's just one big boss by himself, then yes, Brainjack (and by extension Servant Sacrifice) will likely be wasted art slots. Normal missions are a real crapshoot though. Most have some of kind of bosslike enemy at the end, but some of them are immune to Brainjack and others aren't.

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular

Switch whatever character you want to control to the top of the active party screen

A lot of bosses and tyrants come with brainjack-able hench-critters, or are close to critters that you can pull into the fight, so YMMV.

Psycorrupter is kind of a weird class because you want multiple enemies in a fight, rather than just trying to pull and burst down one enemy at a time.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Dang it. Should I have been going the Elma class route? I'm currently a Psychorruptor.

I went Enforcer and about halfway through Psycorrupter for a bit, and switched my weapons back to Assault Rifle and Longsword (while leveling other stuff) because I like actually winning fights and being able to hurt my opponents.

• Options
    I went whatever the bottom path of the tree is. Maxed out the very bottom branch and am about to max out the one just above that :P Pretty fun - I enjoy my lightsabers :D

It's weird how the abilities work though. I finally figured out that the Arts you get seem largely based on which weapon you use. So some of these classes seem to let me use different weapons and the arts available change based on that. I think that's what initially confused me with each "class change" losing the majority of the arts I learned - I don't think they really did, it's just that they used different weapons. One example - using knives gives you access to abilities like "Slit Edge" and the lightsabers have those Starlight skills (i.e. Starlight Blossom, etc). I could pick either with the class I am now and it completely changes my Arts. Kind of weird.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I went whatever the bottom path of the tree is. Maxed out the very bottom branch and am about to max out the one just above that :P Pretty fun - I enjoy my lightsabers :D

It's weird how the abilities work though. I finally figured out that the Arts you get seem largely based on which weapon you use. So some of these classes seem to let me use different weapons and the arts available change based on that. I think that's what initially confused me with each "class change" losing the majority of the arts I learned - I don't think they really did, it's just that they used different weapons. One example - using knives gives you access to abilities like "Slit Edge" and the lightsabers have those Starlight skills (i.e. Starlight Blossom, etc). I could pick either with the class I am now and it completely changes my Arts. Kind of weird.

Arts are 100% tied to your weapons. You cannot use an assault rifle art with the sniper rifle, for example.

Normally, each class is tied to one melee weapon and one ranged weapon, and can only use those weapons.

Once you reach level 10 in one of the "final" classes, you master that class's weapons. So for example, once you become a level 10 duelist, you can use an assault rifle and longsword with any other class.

This makes it easier to level up other classes, because you can use the weapons you've mastered (and all their accompanying Arts) rather than having to start from scratch.

Skills, on the other hand, are not restricted in this way. Once you learn a skill, it's yours forever. So, you can advance up a class chain only as far as you need to gain 1 skill, then switch to another class, if that's what you want to do.

Part of the fun of this game's system is mixing and matching skills and weapons to make powerful builds

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yamato Spirit + Fast Forward.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

If you think that's fun, try putting a Ranged TP Gain Up augment on a Gatling gun.

Each bullet gives you 20 TP, so unloading your magazine gets you 600+ TP if all bullets hit. It gets kind of silly if you kit your gun for magazine capacity and/or faster reloads

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

If you think that's fun, try putting a Ranged TP Gain Up augment on a Gatling gun.

Each bullet gives you 20 TP, so unloading your magazine gets you 600+ TP if all bullets hit. It gets kind of silly if you kit your gun for magazine capacity and/or faster reloads

Yeah, I'm well aware of how dumb that can be... but just stacking those two skills is easier. That gatling bit though... I can think of things to do with that much TP!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Man, there is nothing quite like Elma getting the final hit on the Chapter 9 boss within the 30-second window after my guy got wiped out.

Although I think if I didn't start that fight missing half of my skells it wouldn't have been that close.

• Options
    Speaking of Skells, can I just buy extra insurance somewhere? I hate not seeing that number at 3 :P I am guessing not.

• Options
    Oh yeah, and I'm just past chapter... 5, I think? I just met L and learned the significance of "asscaves".

Having played The Wonderful 101, I'm getting a real GEATHJERK vibe from the Ganglia.
    starting to expect a similar twist, too.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Speaking of Skells, can I just buy extra insurance somewhere? I hate not seeing that number at 3 :P I am guessing not.
    Not directly, no. If the number hits 0, the best thing to do is strip off all the Skell's gear, sell the frame, and then buy a new one. That's the only way to get fresh insurance (and it's cheaper than paying repair costs, because those take all your gear into account). No reason to do it until it's 0, though.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Stock up on salvage tickets

• Options
    edited December 2015

I can't seem to get them. It looks like you need to be in a certain group which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of all the others for some reason. I assume due to some exploit or something. I'm in Reclaimers which I've only ever see get to Rank 3 at the most.

(I could switch but I really don't want to :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Eh just switch. I have 7 salvage tickets and its totally worth it. Its not like it matters which division you are anyway

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Prospectors get points for collecting items and mining from probes. Which, from the first minute to the last, is something every single player will always be doing. So it's no wonder that division rocketed to the top.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I can't seem to get them. It looks like you need to be in a certain group which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of all the others for some reason. I assume due to some exploit or something. I'm in Reclaimers which I've only ever see get to Rank 3 at the most.

(I could switch but I really don't want to :P)

No exploit. People recognize that you want to be in the winning group so you can get the best rewards, so after a short time more and more people congregated to the most populated group which only led to an even more exponential growth etc.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    It was pretty silly of the developers not to see this coming. The Divisogram and division bonuses give way too much incentive for people to dogpile into one division, which sucks because some of the non-Prospector division buffs are handy to have. I'd say that they should just get rid of the Divisogram and division bonuses, but then there would be no way to get salvage tickets and refuel items and that would be even worse.

Oh well. Defense boosts and salvage tickets for us all!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    One week in so far and I'm really enjoying this:

dc56ixW.jpg

But I could also use a really good online guide, particularly any with a visual map for where probes/resources are stationed.

I started the Repair Job affinity quest and I already know this would take me a billion hours without a guide, and the one I managed to find online only tells me the location of gathering items without actually pointing to me which of the hundred sections in the map said location is.

• Options
    One week in so far and I'm really enjoying this:

dc56ixW.jpg

But I could also use a really good online guide, particularly any with a visual map for where probes/resources are stationed.

I started the Repair Job affinity quest and I already know this would take me a billion hours without a guide, and the one I managed to find online only tells me the location of gathering items without actually pointing to me which of the hundred sections in the map said location is.

The Cylinders are from Pawn Puges. Warp to site 119 in southeast Primordia. Then run southeast through the Prone base, take the hill up, swing around to your left at the top of the hill, go across the bridge to the west (there should be a Prone guarding it), then up the hills to the west. You should then find two Pawn Puges at the top. They're both level 9, look like human-ish size robots, and have both sight and sound indicators for aggro. Kill them, hope for cylinders. Warp back (don't walk) to Site 119, and all the enemies will respawn. Rinse and repeat.

The deflectors can be found by grabbing blue collectables in Oblivia. Just run around the entrance to the area and grab all the blue sparks you can find.

The White Cometite can be obtained by placing Mining Probes on various FN sites. These include Site 115 (northeast of NLA, by the beach), , and 219 (Noctilium, a few hexes north and west of Site 222, at the entrance to the area).

I agree, a guide is sometimes needed.

• Options
    No way am I ever switching divisions. Being a Mediator is an essential part of my character's identity. I take my roleplaying seriously. :lol:

Plus, it's pretty easy to keep your skell alive if you just don't use the thing all the time. The only skell death I've had to so far is when I intentionally jumped into the bottomless pit in Oblivia to see if it would count (it does).

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    After 120 hours I finally have Mia.

...I feel it shouldn't take that long to unlock a character in any game. Eh.

I think I'll finally finish story mode tomorrow. Good times.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    No way am I ever switching divisions. Being a Mediator is an essential part of my character's identity. I take my roleplaying seriously. :lol:

Plus, it's pretty easy to keep your skell alive if you just don't use the thing all the time. The only skell death I've had to so far is when I intentionally jumped into the bottomless pit in Oblivia to see if it would count (it does).

I legit picked Prospectors because it's what I wanted to do! I swear! Although it was a close decision; a lot of the non-combat divisions had their appealing qualities.

And I've found the best way to keep your insurance up is to bail out before you actually have to. "Crap, almost dead — abandon ship!".

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Schide wrote: »
    After 120 hours I finally have Mia.

...I feel it shouldn't take that long to unlock a character in any game. Eh.

I think I'll finally finish story mode tomorrow. Good times.

Mia's pretty badass. She's definitely worth the trouble it takes to get her. Without a doubt my favorite party member.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Where IS Mia? Last I did was give her some armor and send her on her way

I just now found her commander who was like "You have sent that poor girl to her death"

I assume she is dead

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

I just now found her commander who was like "You have sent that poor girl to her death"

I assume she is dead
    She's on top of the Skybound Coil Tree in Noctilum. You started a quest chain where you need to find her in every continent in order to recruit her.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ok this level 39 tyrant is not level 39. I have 2 level 50 skells and the jerk just wont die. Im beginning to think Yelv is bad luck.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

I assume she is dead
    She's on top of the Skybound Coil Tree in Noctilum. You started a quest chain where you need to find her in every continent in order to recruit her.

I'm not super sure where that is

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

I assume she is dead

I'm not super sure where that is
    They're here.
    HX3qDIv.jpg

There's the map view of the area It's 3 up and one left of the small land bridge connecting the 2 parts of noctilum.

i.imgur.com/A23VqVt.jpg

To save size, I just linked that one, but that's the entrance bit on ground level to get up there. Just follow the path, and eventually you'll find her.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I picked Reclaimers because I felt that's what my character would do. She got rescued from the lifehold herself by Elma, so I imagine she'd feel a personal connection to rescuing more people from the lifehold.

AUGH. Electric Blue Tentacles just do not drop, it seems.

I like the moves that are references to XC. Like, Stellar Ray is just Gun Drones.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I legit picked Prospectors because it's what I wanted to do! I swear! Although it was a close decision; a lot of the non-combat divisions had their appealing qualities.

And I've found the best way to keep your insurance up is to bail out before you actually have to. "Crap, almost dead — abandon ship!".

This is what I do as well. I think a few times I've gotten into situations where I was just absolutely god-smacked by some insanely high level thing or got stuck on some edge and the bailout wasn't working. I try to get the AI to bail out too which can be a crap shoot, but at least I've figured out that when the AI loses a Skell it doesn't consume Skell Insurance (thank god because they are morons with them).

Side note, is there somewhere that lists what all the division buffs do?