As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTAV/O... and 6?] - Return to Vice City in 2025

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    That it refuses to touch water is hilarious. But the games feel very much like they did before and I’m enjoying playing them again. Reminds me more of the Xbox upgrades to 3 and Vice City rather than the originals on PS2 Since the characters had real hands on Xbox and the cars were shinier, seemingly reflective. I was disappointed when San Andreas was just a straight port on Xbox rather than an upgrade like the other two.

Biggest problem I have is that there are censored parts and the radio station skips over words at times - like some parts were removed, but not purposefully. It’s what got me annoyed with the version that was ported to the 360 - not only the missing songs, but the radio was messed up. At least most of my favorite songs are still in Vice City.

Edit: okay, they messed with something else. You used to be able to go into the pause menu and listen to the radio station then go bank to gameplay and it would be at the same spot, you could go back and forth and it would just be continuously playing. Now they are not in sync… why would there even do this? It’s like there’s two different tracks of the stations playing dependent on if you’re in game or paused.

I do hope that the recent report that they will be working on fixing up the games results in some patches hitting soon. Just enough things are off that it doesn’t feel the same.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    This really makes no fucking sense. They held off on announcing them... just keep holding off if they're clearly not ready for primetime. PR this bad that involves having to give refunds can't be worth the incremental revenue. It's not like they need cash right now.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    And that they handed it off to some third party, that botched the mobile releases as well, rather than handle it in house just smacks of arrogance and a don’t care attitude. I’d love to see what the team that made GTAV and RDR2 lovingly recreate the three games that propelled them into the spot they are now, but get an obvious cash grab and PR spin. I enjoy the games, but I’m also disappointed because we all know they could do so much better.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I didn't expect anything better from R*, creator of the Oppressor and Oppressor Mk2. Vehicle of choice for shark card salesmen. Vehicles whose sole purpose is to grief business grinders harder than ever before in an attempt to make them submit and buy shark cards.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Not that it'll matter, but: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/take-two-stock-falls-more-than-5-after-rockstar-games-has-grand-theft-auto-trouble-11637007291
    Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. shares fell more than 5% Monday following a glitchy launch from the company’s “Grand Theft Auto” franchise that lasted through the weekend.

Take-Two TTWO, -5.45% shares fell as much as 7% to an intraday low of $174.82, and were last down about 6%. In comparison, the S&P 500 index SPX, 0.00% was down 0.1%, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, -0.04% was down 0.3%.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    A part of me wishes that Lamar will provide the mugger mk2.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    A part of me wishes that Lamar will provide the mugger mk2.

Spawns in a juggernaught that runs five times as fast and permanently removes the vehicle from your inventory.

Cost: 1 billion.

• Options
    I think it’s time to resurrect this thread a bit. There’s been a whole slew of videos and images leaked for GTAVI in an alpha state - likely from 2-3 years back. https://gtaforums.com/topic/985481-gta-6-americas-leak-90-mp4-footagevideos/

Looks to be set in Vice City, but in modern times. There’s a female protag and a male. Hearing that it’s a Bonnie and Clyde type of situation Rockstar is going for, so like GTAV, you’ll likely be switching between the two of them.

Here’s hoping Rockstar release official pictures and video themselves soon. A trailer would be great.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It’s funny (in an ironic way)… I was excited for the release of the new Saints Row game before it came out. But reviews were so bad for it that I didn’t grab it. Probably won’t until a deep sale.

But I still wanted to play a crime game, so instead I fired up GTA3 and have been playing through that. The definitive edition version. Just doing story only, none of the side activities, but after I finish this one up, which might happen this afternoon, I’ll push on to Vice City and then San Andreas. And at some point I want to do another story playthrough of 5 as well.

Needless to say, I’m all aboard the crime game genre again right now. I might also take a look at Sleeping Dogs, which I have never played before, but have heard very good things.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Needless to say, I’m all aboard the crime game genre again right now. I might also take a look at Sleeping Dogs, which I have never played before, but have heard very good things.

It's pretty great.

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    You should not let those Sleeping Dogs lie any longer. Skip VC and SA, you can play em after.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    This is weird. Rockstar has spent the majority of FiveM's existence over the years trying to shut it down/DMCA it into oblivion. Now they've bought it:

Perhaps they realised that the embrace, extend, extinguish model would work better for them? Or perhaps it's because GTA 6 is on the horizon?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It's out, the trailer is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0

2025 though, fuck!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Wow. What a time to be alive! Awesome! 😎👌🚀
    Two hammers and a night gown, and all badass! 😍😂

https://youtu.be/PR8rvnaTb9k

Let's fucking go! Hype cycle starts noooowwww!! 🌀 😎🚀🎉

Zilla360 on
  • Options
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    2025 is good for me, gives me more time to prepare.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    At first I was "sure looks like another GTA" but watching the 4k version made me rethink that .

There is so much going on in every scene.

Gameplay pending I'm tentatively excited.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Does anyone here play GTA V still?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It looks pretty cool and everything but...2025?

And probably end of 2025 too, so basically another two years. Yay.

See y'all at next year's Game Awards for the next trailer...!

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Butters wrote: »
    Does anyone here play GTA V still?
    Occasionally yes. I just lack the free time.

I love to just swim around as a dolphin or get in a submarine. Or just aimlessly fly around the map, soaring high above the clouds. Or scuba diving and playing chicken with hungry sharks.

5 is still awesome, especially if you play it as an FPS game, with third person vehicle views. 😎

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I hated 5 because all the characters were loud, annoying, whiny nothings that just screamed and shouted constantly, everything was a joke, nothing was serious or grounded, it was a mess. All gta has been like that, and it’s gotten less tolerable the more modern the series has gotten. However I loved rdr2, so I hadnt written rockstar off completely

This already looks a million times better with the more somber, reserved and human feeling main characters. Seriously the main characters tone, temperament and general vibe pretty much sold me on actually enjoying the story maybe in a gta game for once, rather than just enjoying the world and euphoria animation physics systems

Also the npcs look incredible, like leagues ahead of any other game. In terms of all the body shapes and sizes but also how they move and animate way more realistically than anything out at the moment. Like the way npcs in that beach scene animate and look, it blows all other games out of the water

2025 is ages away tho so eh, looking forward to it

Prohass on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yeah I hope the tone is more RDR2 than GTA, but damn I'm looking forward to just seeing the world. Nobody makes a *world* like Rockstar. Most video game worlds/cities feel like video game worlds/cities, but somehow Rockstar makes it feel like a real *place*.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah this actually looks like the next hop over CP2077 when it comes to character modeling and animation.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    All the various body types caught my eye immediately, and the way the hair moved on the woman in the white-ish bikini.

And then

6umj9yha7ng2.png

• Options
    Rockstar be like:

https://youtu.be/VtJUHGjVm0E

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I was smiling ear to ear with that trailer: the graphical fidelity is off the charts and I agree with the earlier CP77 comment - this is what character modeling in dense "living" worlds looks like, because holy hell. Even the city itself was looking fantastic.

That "Coming 2025" though was about the best way you could deflate the hype. And it's not even like it is a lock that it'll be early 2025 (why wouldn't they drop this in the fall; I feel like the last two were released then).

. . .still though, fantastic trailer. Also I thought this was coming on the 5th; randomly showed up when I was looking for another video on the Tube.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I think all the leaks of builds and various things probably pushed up their media schedule to be honest

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Yeah it 'leaked' (it could always have been R* themselves that *leaked* it in order to build marketing hype/PR trickery) so the were apparently (depending on who/what you believe) 'forced' into releasing the trailer earlier than previously planned/expected.

(Yes, I am cynical, because this is a pattern of behaviour that has occurred time and again throughout the video game industry).

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Moments like this were absolutely magical in 5:
    https://medal.tv/games/gta-v/clips/1GAF9RlpBleTck/SmhlqtUweXPE?invite=cr-MSxFSUgsMjA4MjAxNTQyLA

I am hoping for them to somehow include even more wonderful surprises in 6.

Who would have thought that becoming a dolphin etc would be a feature in a game about criminality and modern day American society/values, or at least a parody thereof. 🤔😎😅

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I remember back when GTA V was coming out, this trailer was the trailer for the game that really got me sold on the leap in fidelity of their game engine: from the cartoonish realism of GTA IV - itself a massive leap over 3 - to the realistic chaos of V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfzrQGU6jhM

This trailer for GTA VI just blow this out of the water. My only concern, is that they do the same bullshit they did with RDR2 and delay the PC release. Really hope we get a simultaneous release with this one.

. . .also, and I know we know absolutely NOTHING about the games plot or narrative quality from the trailer, but boy does this read as being far more mature than GTA V ever was trying to be. Like those TikTok (can't wait to find out the name for that app) videos clearly show they are going in with teeth bared on the satire, but something in the way the characters were animated and the delivery makes me think we're going to get the same quality writing as in RDR2, just with more freedom for chaos.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
  • Options
    The level of detail in this convenience store is astonishing for being what seems to be an instance of real-time rendering:

JIdWj5J.gif?width=715&height=402

• Options
    edited December 2023
    For me the fidelity and detail is stunning, but it’s the animation quality in the trailer that is truely pushing things beyond anything we’ve really seen. Not just mocap but like an entire visual presentation that supports all the movement of every thing on screen and makes it all feel like one image, not a bunch of things floating in a space. It’s a mix of mocap and euphoria and just insanely polished animation physics and tweening

It’s almost hard to describe but it has a filmic quality that you rarely see. Im sure there’s some part of that being that it’s a produced trailer, but I have no doubt rockstar could pull it off in game

For all their games flaws, they tend to push the production quality envelope with every game. there’s always a level of cohesion to their detail, so that it’s not just that they have a lot of detail, it’s how that detail works within the whole to create an effortlessly real feeling scene.

Prohass on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think the biggest challenge for them is going to be coming up with a social media parody that doesn't seem too realistic. Predicting it now, Bleeter is going to be renamed to Why?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    This trailer for GTA VI just blow this out of the water. My only concern, is that they do the same bullshit they did with RDR2 and delay the PC release. Really hope we get a simultaneous release with this one.

I don't think they've launched a game on PC since like GTA2. I'm personally not expecting it any sooner than 2027, but I would love to be surprised.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    PC launch 6mo to year later for sure.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

My money is 2+ years. Probably a next gen version in 27, and then another year or two for PC

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

My money is 2+ years. Probably a next gen version in 27, and then another year or two for PC

You also have to add a year for the console launch delay.