As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GTAV/O... and 6?] - Return to Vice City in 2025

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    All right, the driving in this game is utter, utter, utter, UTTER bullshit. I'm doing the first race, and every time the other racers bump into things they barely nudge out of the way and slow down. Meanwhile, ramming into too many air molecules at once causes the car to spin around 180 degrees and come to a stop wedged into some piece of the environment I can't drive out of.

And yes, I'm edging off the gas and using watsisface's superpower and all that garbage.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    What are your controlling with? Analog input like a game pad goes a long way towards making driving enjoyable.

It sounds like you're either turning too hard or trying to drive with a keyboard.

Also, what vehicle are you driving? The driving models of the vehicles vary a great deal.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    That first race with Hao tends to be either in Franklin's Buffalo (~2010s Dodge Charger) or in a Ruiner (~1980s Pontiac Trans Am). That said, cars in the muscle class tend to be "high power, shitty turning". They love to spin-out, and I couldn't imagine playing that with a keyboard.

Driving in GTA 5 is much more forgiving than in GTA 4, but I've only ever used a controller. Your driving experience being that bad suggests to me that there might be a simple solution that'd make you a lot happier.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm on an Xbox 360 and the normal controller.

I dunno, maybe I just got a stupid sports car? It was the pinkish one near Hao's first appearance. Maybe I should just get a regular car or something. I seem to recall avoiding sports cars in previous GTAs for similar reasons. Also doing the race during the day might help so I can actually see telephone poles before they're five feet in front of me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    All right, the driving in this game is utter, utter, utter, UTTER bullshit. I'm doing the first race, and every time the other racers bump into things they barely nudge out of the way and slow down. Meanwhile, ramming into too many air molecules at once causes the car to spin around 180 degrees and come to a stop wedged into some piece of the environment I can't drive out of.

And yes, I'm edging off the gas and using watsisface's superpower and all that garbage.

Alright, there's a few things happening here that you're probably not aware of that are just quirks of the game and can take you by surprise fairly easily. Once you get a feel for compensating for them, though, the driving in the game turns into a very enjoyable experience. I say this as someone that focuses almost solely on driving and racing, with over 2.5k hours invested into the game at this point since it's PC launch.

The first of which is the slightly wonky hit boxes and collision detection of some cars. Just make the assumption that if your car is scraping on something, it's going to clip into it and catch on a jaggy hitbox somewhere, and avoid doing that to the best of your ability. Give yourself another half a foot (15cm) of distance around your car and you'll bump/catch on things much less often. Newly added cars don't have this issue, since their hit boxes are more simplified and clip into things less, so once you get some cash stored up you may want to look up DLC cars on the wiki pages and buy one of those to store in a character's garage for later usage.

The next big thing to know about is how Franklin's "Slow Mo Driving Skillz" ability thing works. When you activate it, you get a massive amount of downforce on your car, forcing it to be planted to the ground unless you leap it off a cliff or over a jump. This has the effect of giving you insane levels of traction for high speed, tight turns. You don't lose any speed while turning, so you'll carry on accelerating even while doing a hairpin or U-turn. I suggest using it in short bursts when a tricky set of turns is coming up or to weave through traffic or around other racers with ease, then turning it right back off and letting off the gas a little to get control of the car back.

The last major thing I think you'll want to have a basic understanding of is Slip Stream and Catch Up. When following a car you're racing with, you'll notice the white "jet streams" appearing off the sides of their car, and if you stay semi-centered in them, you'll get a massive boost to your top speed and be able to rocket right past them. However, this comes with a downside as well - going faster means you need to break earlier and harder to get around turns or weave through traffic or what-have-you. Catch up is also active, and like in other games it is basically just rubber banding of the slower cars so they can keep up with the cars up ahead to a reasonable amount, so long as it's not a prius racing against a ferrari.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    also git gud scrub

naaaah i'm just joshin ya. the driving in gta takes a lot of getting used to but once you adjust to the feel of the vehicles it is very rewarding. certain cars are just ass, though. i really like franklin's default vehicle, with all the customization options, it turns out to be a very good car. the other money car in the game is the coquette, the corvette ripoff. shit is CASH.

I liked driving bikes. I forget the name, but one could pull off sweet jumps over curbs and embankments if you hit them mostly headon while popping a wheelie.

It was a blast trying to escape from people because you could just do stupid jumps off of overpasses, onto rooftops, or dive down into the subway tunnels. It was game over if you crashed though, and you had no protection from small arms fire.

I remember spending an afternoon trying to do sweet jumps. My driving skill level had gone from zero to max during it all.

3DS Friend Code:
    New DLC announced - Import/Export DLC

Basic TL;DR - New things tied into the CEO stuff centered around an import/export business like from Gone In 60 Seconds, with exotic cars and such. Big things include massive car storage warehouses, upwards of 60 cars over 3 floors in one building, new missions and specially themed vehicles for crazy freemode stuff. Pictures show two new super style cars and the car flipper vehicle from Fast N Furious, and a garage filled with a bunch of random expensive cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LltdfurUKTY

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Going to see if I can re-install/mod the PC version with a spawner script, (as I've just noticed) they've gone and pretty much put KITT from Knight Rider in the game, but it's too expensive:

Also, a car with a rocket engine(!) in the back :D :hydra: :

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Enhanced Native Trainer is awesome and has a great vehicle spawner.

Sir Carcass on
    If anyone wants to mess with the new vehicles, just add me on Steam and Social Club and I'll spawn them in. I've already gotten everything, so it just requires a quick call to my assistant ingame.

• RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Coming back after having not played in a year or so to see all the new addons - holy shit stuff is expensive. Looks like you need at least $1M to get even the base CEO stuff started, ditto for the Motorcycle Clubs? I have about $200k which I originally thought was a lot, and all the guides for 'most effective earnings per minute' require Buzzards and the sort which are an additional million. I see why Shark Cards are a thing, ugh.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Coming back after having not played in a year or so to see all the new addons - holy shit stuff is expensive. Looks like you need at least $1M to get even the base CEO stuff started, ditto for the Motorcycle Clubs? I have about $200k which I originally thought was a lot, and all the guides for 'most effective earnings per minute' require Buzzards and the sort which are an additional million. I see why Shark Cards are a thing, ugh.

It's less why Shark Cards are a thing, and more why GTA:O has been designed the way it has. The entire economy is modelled around making you buy Shark Cards from start to finish. From what I remember, it's been extremely lucrative for them, which is why the MP for the new RDR is includng microtransactions too (ugh...).

Suriko wrote: »

It's less why Shark Cards are a thing, and more why GTA:O has been designed the way it has. The entire economy is modelled around making you buy Shark Cards from start to finish. From what I remember, it's been extremely lucrative for them, which is why the MP for the new RDR is includng microtransactions too (ugh...).

They made 700m off Shark Card sales last year, so yea, it's definitely been designed to drive sales of those things.

If you get a group of friends or like minded individuals together, you can get some decent income rolling either from heisting or doing CEO related stuff (even if you aren't the CEO you still get an ok chunk of change). It'll just take a bit of time, but it's totally doable. If you haven't done the All In Order thing for the heists, that should be the first thing you knock out - you get a ton of money from doing the heists, plus the extra from the All In Order. Just doing that should be enough to kick start your own CEO stuff to the point that you can solo the new Import/Export business and make money that way.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Started playing this again with a few friends. GF and I are in We Are Nice Guys on PC and just starting out but not really sure what to look into for making money or how to really get into jobs together. We did a few pvp things and races but we'd like to do contact missions and some heists and stuff eventually. Anything to look into as a starting player? Anyone still playing it?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Started playing this again with a few friends. GF and I are in We Are Nice Guys on PC and just starting out but not really sure what to look into for making money or how to really get into jobs together. We did a few pvp things and races but we'd like to do contact missions and some heists and stuff eventually. Anything to look into as a starting player? Anyone still playing it?

I still pop on every now and again. I'd love to do the heists with people who aren't totally random dickbags (i.e. the usual rando you get in GTA), so if you see me on, shoot me an invite! Bear in mind that the heists require their maximum player count to even start (the first one only requires 2 people, but the rest require the full 4). So if you don't have 4 people in your party, you're going to need to hit up the matchmaker and pick up a random schlub.

As for contact missions...those mostly unlock as you gain higher ranks. Most that I've run through can be done solo...but there are a bunch that require either 2 (or more) people, and (preferably) somebody who is higher level and has his/her own attack aircraft.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Ah so a ways to go yet. I'll keep an eye out for sure! Feel free to shoot me a friend invite on Rockstar's social club or whatever. Good to know the first heist is doable with 2 though, should be able to co-op that with the GF and move on from there.

Really cool online systems but the actual "getting into games" with people part is tricky.

Ah so a ways to go yet. I'll keep an eye out for sure! Feel free to shoot me a friend invite on Rockstar's social club or whatever. Good to know the first heist is doable with 2 though, should be able to co-op that with the GF and move on from there.

Really cool online systems but the actual "getting into games" with people part is tricky.

What time do you guys usually play? Normally I'm game to pop on at any time...but, for the next month or two, I can usually log on anytime after 6pm PTZ.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

What time do you guys usually play? Normally I'm game to pop on at any time...but, for the next month or two, I can usually log on anytime after 6pm PTZ.

Usually in the evenings if we're on. Hit me up on steam or discord or something and if you see me on feel free to ping me! And anyone else!

edited December 2017
    Well, it's been a while...but it sounds like something new (other than multi-million dollar cars and air vehicles for your hangar) is on its way....

A new heist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZgVGFwKo0

edit - and it looks like they're adding the FAMAS...this makes me a happy panda.

Erlkönig on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Man... I haven't even done the achievements (or original heists) yet...

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I'm a little irked that I can't use my spiffy new attack helicopter in heists or even R* designed missions (it can only be used in the open world).

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    yeah i don't think i'm gonna have anywhere near the 12 million or whatever seed money is required for this, but i might fire it up again

edited December 2017
    A friend of mine recently got me to start playing the game again.

I saw the flying motorcycle, the Hind, and the Me163 and I knew that I needed money. So I've been grinding.

I've managed to get a ceo office, small/medium crate warehouses (I had to work my way up), a car warehouse (so much more fun than crates), and a buzzard. I had owned a Swift from over a year ago because a hacker had exploded me with a money bomb and I wanted to spend the money on something useful for travel before R* erased my funds.

I'm planning to setup businesses near the route 68 bunker. There is an MC clubhouse across the street from the bunker, and it's only a block or two away from a cocaine lockup and meth lab.

I really want to play all of the heists, but my experience is that I'll just be stuck in endless matchmaking limbo if I don't already have 4 people lined up. Many people join the lobby. Everyone leaves once they see that the lobby isn't full.

I have been surprised by the number of people who take offense when they shoot first and then I kill them in self defense.

Like seriously man. I was be minding my own business collecting crates, get stuck with a mission where I have to deliver the crates individually, and as I return in my buzzard to get the rest I see one of those vtol jets loitering over my crates. That puts me on alert, especially once he starts acquiring a lock on me (an action that I consider hostile.
    I specifically fly around with weapons set to guns or dumbfire to avoid acquiring unintended locks on others) . I swerve out of around a hill to break the lock and he moves to get a new lock. Then I dove toward and under him to try to stay safe and break the lock again. He acquires tone and takes the shots at me (which go wide because those missiles are shit at hitting approaching targets), and then I pop up behind him and blast him while he just pirouettes in the air to get guns on me again. I pick up my crate to back to the warehouse and I get all sorts of shit talk in chat as if I'm some kinda murder hobo that just killed his puppy. I didn't even kill him. I just nailed the jet with one missile to force him to bail out and buy me time to get over the hill to my crates. Wtf man? I expect players to attack me , but to have the audacity of shooting first and then getting upsetting when your mark fights back???

People are silly I guess. I'm not even mad. Just confused.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Are you on PC?

And if you are and need a third for heisting action, hit me up (PM me here if I'm not in-game).

Or, hell...I don't have nearly the same number of guns/vehicles on console, but I could play on either Xbone or PS4, too.

I am on pc. I'll post my character details when I get back online again. My character name is General_Armchair, but don't I need to post R* social club details for adding friends? I don't know those off of the top of my head.

3DS Friend Code:
    I am on pc. I'll post my character details when I get back online again. My character name is General_Armchair, but don't I need to post R* social club details for adding friends? I don't know those off of the top of my head.

Perfect! My R* social club details are in my sig!

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Depending what time you guys are rolling out I can probably be a 4th. I have a hangar full of counterfeit goods I can sell. I'm on EST though.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    edited December 2017
    Murderhobos are out in force tonight. The whole past week I had session after session of people not causing trouble as long as you didn't start trouble.

I guess the trailer pulled them out of the wookwork.

Also I hate the guy who decided that the Oppressor should get rockets.

Also how they can call it up instantly as a biker club president. It would be better if they had to wait around 30 seconds waiting for their mechanic to bring it in. Then you could leave the area after killing them once.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Armchair and I have been playing a ton this week. If there are two others available for heists this weekend, that would be rad.

Also fuck the Oppressor.

Is time a gift or punishment?
    I really want that Akula stealth helicopter. It's like a cross between a Comanche and the Black Shark.

Although since I only ever attack people in self defense, I kinda wish that I could just get a fast unarmed civilian helicopter with countermeasures and a stealth mode :/

3DS Friend Code:
    I've read that the security room in the new facility is causing some people to have their game lockup. If you buy the room, don't set your facility as your spawn in point. Just to be safe.

3DS Friend Code:
    I am happy to report that same bridges and collectibles in the single player campaign that were annoying in the original edition of GTA V are just as annoying in the enhanced version! <3

I've been grinding...a lot. I've moved my office to the Arcadius building so that I can quickly get to it after fast traveling to my apartment and across the street. I've also setup shop in the businesses near the Route 68 bunker, and have purchased the Route 68 facility (which lets me fast travel to it thanks to its doomsday heist room)

I also went and bought the Mobile Operations Center and the Avenger. They are ridiculously tanky. Griefers have given up and accused me of godmode in the MOC, and below is a demonstration of how to land the Avenger downtown near the Arcadius building (There is no audio. It was stripped out to preserve the privacy of a conversation that was in the background).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28vSZH4g54&amp;feature=youtu.be

3DS Friend Code:
    edited December 2017
    so... game says that I did 50/50 under the bridge flights and 15/15 knife flights, but the achievement for this didn't pop... I didn't run into this BS on the xbox 360 version, so how do I fix this garbage?

edit: nevermind, flew through that garbage knife flight by the studio again and it popped.

edit2: omg I forgot how much of a mass of sheer bullshit that third triathalon is... but it's done. ugh.

tastydonuts on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I just picked this up via the Steam sale, after not having played since the ps3 launch. I'd been waiting for a better price than $30 because I'd already bought the game at full price once and I knew for sure I'd only be doing the online aspect of it.
    Are We Are Nice Guys still around that I could get an invite and have some people to play with?

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    THE CHRISTMAS HOMUNCULUS COMES FOR ALL.

ECmd6e1.jpg?1

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Sent a request for an invite into We Are Nice Guys, if there's anyone reading the thread that wants to let ol' Phibbs in the gang.
    Been doing some Slasher since it's double cash at the moment and fun and I've got myself a decent little apartment while I save up for a heist-ready place. Also, as a returning player from PS3, there's like 10 vehicles I can just..have, apparently. Nice being able to just order a dodo or sub or Road Warrior-ized Duke.