Options

welcome to yer [movie] thread

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I was worried about Max's face but he was wearing that mask at the time. So I guess I ought to have been worried about their fists.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I would be into seeing Emma Watson's turn as a bad ass blackthumb

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I really love that until someone pointed it out, I never even thought of Furiosa as someone who had a physical disability

Like obviously I thought she had a rad robot arm, but at no point did her lack of arm ever become something I really like, noticed all on its own

That whole thing felt really well done!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I really love that until someone pointed it out, I never even thought of Furiosa as someone who had a physical disability

Like obviously I thought she had a rad robot arm, but at no point did her lack of arm ever become something I really like, noticed all on its own

That whole thing felt really well done!

Yup! Even when I saw her without the robot arm, it didn't really register with me

And later when someone was talking about how the movie handled handicapped people, I was like, 'There wasn't anyone with--ohh, that's right!'

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Just in case you guys don't know. Nick Newell is an MMA fighter with a stump arm like Furiosa. He knocks people out cold with his stump.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Finally watched Fury Road properly.

That was so much more enjoyable than the first time.

So so so so so much more.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I know everyone's probably sick of hearing about Fury Road, so apologies to all those who haven't seen it or didn't enjoy it for clogging up the thread.

Still...

Saw it for a forth time, basically cos I had to take all my family members to see it, STILL noticed stuff I didn't before
    the war boy that falls off the cliff at the start trying to grab Max actually yells "WITNESS!" As he falls. And when a hedgehog vehicle gets taken out the war boys yell "MEDIOCRE!" Implying it's something Immortan Joe says a lot and has become part of their vernacular as they imitate him. There is seriously so many touches, so many connections and through shots. Sometimes I'll wonder where a vehicle came from, only on my next viewing to realise that a previous scene shows it. Also Organic Mechanic is what I'm calling all doctors now. Also the grease on the forehead definitely seems like an Imperator thing, as all the guys on Immortan Joes rig have it, and they refer to the white paint guys as war boys as if they were seperate

Prohass on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I know everyone's probably sick of hearing about Fury Road, so apologies to all those who haven't seen it or didn't enjoy it for clogging up the thread.

Still...

Saw it for a forth time, basically cos I had to take all my family members to see it, STILL noticed stuff I didn't before
    the war boy that falls off the cliff at the start trying to grab Max actually yells "WITNESS!" As he falls. And when a hedgehog vehicle gets taken out the war boys yell "MEDIOCRE!" Implying it's something Immortan Joe says a lot and has become part of their vernacular as they imitate him. There is seriously so many touches, so many connections and through shots. Sometimes I'll wonder where a vehicle came from, only on my next viewing to realise that a previous scene shows it. Also Organic Mechanic is what I'm calling all doctors now. Also the grease on the forehead definitely seems like an Imperator thing, as all the guys on Immortan Joes rig have it, and they refer to the white paint guys as war boys as if they were seperate
    I noticed that the War Boys shouted "MEDIOCRE!" too, but I was a bit confused about why, because they seemed to be shouting it immediately after that one dude does the double spear jump and takes out the hedgehog and that was clearly very awesome.

I guess they could have been shouting it at the Russians, but that just seemed odd.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Still...

I noticed that the War Boys shouted "MEDIOCRE!" too, but I was a bit confused about why, because they seemed to be shouting it immediately after that one dude does the double spear jump and takes out the hedgehog and that was clearly very awesome.

I guess they could have been shouting it at the Russians, but that just seemed odd.

Yeah i definitely think they're laughing and saying it about the
    russians that the suicide guy exploded

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Dunno about that last bit. Slit's a warboy and his head is black with engine grease.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I was worried about Max's face but he was wearing that mask at the time. So I guess I ought to have been worried about their fists.

Charlize Theron actually broke Hardy's nose while filming their fight scene.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Dunno about that last bit. Slit's a warboy and his head is black with engine grease.

His head is not black, it just looks like mud.

edit: Which would also fit with his seeming aspirations for greatness and imitating those he respects.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Put me up on the "Chappie was a flawed but really fun film" camp

I have like, a physical craving for Blomkamp's filming style and sense of aesthetic. And I really enjoy the general thread of South African social justice which is present in almost everything he's ever directed outside of a couple short films. And I have a high tolerance for Die Antwoord. So Chappie was alright at the very worst.

But then I even enjoyed Elysium a lot so maybe I'm just weird

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    so here are my problems with mad max
    the night scenes were too blue maybe
    it was a little too easy for like eight people to take out immortan's whole army, the war boys didn't feel quite imposing enough as a unified force
    casting veered slightly too white, where are all the asians and the arabs and the aboriginal people

that's it, those are literally the only problems that exist in the movie. everything else was perf

• Options
    max
    i keep thinking about the war boys and how they seem like they're going to be these brainless ugly mooks that get slaughtered by the bucketload and how gradually you realize that they're as victimized by the patriarchy as anyone else

like when nux comes on i'm like, who the fuck is this guy, keen for max to kill him, and it turns out he's this immensely sympathetic and tragic figure

it reminded me of good rpg writing in a lot of ways. the way information is compressed and the world is built from trivial details which come at you too quickly to process all of them at once. i want to analyze every character in every frame

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    the opening scene with nux came across as super Shakespearean to me, in both how they were talking and the way the scene was shot. it might be one of my favorite scenes of the movie.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    the opening scene with nux came across as super Shakespearean to me, in both how they were talking and the way the scene was shot. it might be one of my favorite scenes of the movie.

i really wanna know how you shoot something in a shakespearean way now

like i'm not making fun of you, it's an interesting question

there was something kind of, i want to say, coriolanus-y about it? like the ralph fiennes coriolanus. the way they touch their heads together

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Still...

They were shouting "MEDIOCRE BUZZARDS!"

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

i really wanna know how you shoot something in a shakespearean way now

like i'm not making fun of you, it's an interesting question

there was something kind of, i want to say, coriolanus-y about it? like the ralph fiennes coriolanus. the way they touch their heads together

Yes the Ralph Coriolanus was my immediate connection.

From a shooting perspective I think what helped is that nux anchors that scene by being literally tied to max. So it felt really stage like, with even the moment where his lancer takes the wheel showin him in the back.

That along with the way the war boys talk made it very evocative. The energy was like the opening scene of a play with some bit players serving as a sort of chorus.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    it was a little too easy for like eight people to take out immortan's whole army, the war boys didn't feel quite imposing enough as a unified force
    casting veered slightly too white, where are all the asians and the arabs and the aboriginal people

that's it, those are literally the only problems that exist in the movie. everything else was perf
    They didn't take out the whole army though, they managed to stay well ahead of almost everything thanks to Nux fixing the War Rigs engines. Also, that first chase scene makes it abundantly clear that the War Boys are not a cohesive force, with Nux and Slit speeding ahead of everyone else and the almost total lack of teamwork fighting the Buzzards.

In almost any situation where the War Boys had numeric advantage, people died.

I definitely agree with the casting, especially with Australia being the setting, they needed more aboriginals.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    "If you're topping up off a blood bag you can't do war!" was a good one

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Wet-Hot-American-Summer-First-Day-of-Camp-6.jpg

yesss

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Still...

and if anyone feels like they are cloggin up this thread, feel free to join us in the mad max thread in D+D :)

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/198363/mad-max-fury-road-spoilers-will-be-witnessed#latest

unmarked spoilers in that thread fyi

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

The night shots were pretty obviously night-for-day shots, which is why they're so blue. Blame the nuclear apocolypse for the lighting change.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    With the racial makeup of the cast in Mad Max,
    I want to say that the canyon bikers were multi-racial but with all the costuming and how fast everything moves its super hard to tell. But yeah, the only diversity in the casting is the guy in Max's first nightmare, a portion of Joe's downtrodden masses and Zoe Kravitz.

As for the War Boys, imagining an egotistical warlord like Joe also being super racist wouldn't be a hard stretch.

Hopefully the next movie is a little less overwhelmingly Caucasian. I'm hoping for Terry Crews as a rival survivor, myself.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    With the racial makeup of the cast in Mad Max,
    I want to say that the canyon bikers were multi-racial but with all the costuming and how fast everything moves its super hard to tell. But yeah, the only diversity in the casting is the guy in Max's first nightmare, a portion of Joe's downtrodden masses and Zoe Kravitz.

As for the War Boys, imagining an egotistical warlord like Joe also being super racist wouldn't be a hard stretch.

Hopefully the next movie is a little less overwhelmingly Caucasian. I'm hoping for Terry Crews as a rival survivor, myself.
    Wasn't at least one woman in Furiosa's tribe Asian?

...okay, I just looked it up and it might have been the actress who is half-Maori.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Chris Pratt is drunk on Fireball whiskey and is here to give you acting tips

https://youtu.be/bcbny3cv_9Y

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    As a certified actor, I can verify that those are good acting tips right there.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Public Service Announcement:

The Losers is still one of the greatest comic book movies ever made

The only thing wrong with it is that it is full of sequel bait for a sequel that never happened

And I'm choosing to blame all of you for not seeing it in theaters for that one

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The are bits about the Losers I didn't love but it's a fantastic movie

Far from the best comic.book movie tho

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

The only thing wrong with it is that it is full of sequel bait for a sequel that never happened

I saw it in theaters! And I bought it on Blu Ray!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Chris Pratt and I have the exact same personality. I mean... EXACT.

If only I were as handsome.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I saw it in theaters but didn't like it very much

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I like the Losers because it is a dumb fun action movie with an absolutely wonderful cast but it is not much beyond that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Chris Pratt and I have the exact same personality. I mean... EXACT.

If only I were as handsome.

what would you do if you were as handsome as Chris Pratt

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I would pose on a park bench

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Be careful about mistaking "white-passing" people for white people... It may not have looked very diverse, and it may not have been, but it can be hard to tell

Fragile is Maori/Chinese and The Valkyrie is half Maori

E: this sounds madder than I intend, and also makes no sense out of context, WHOOPS

Quoth on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'd just keep doing what I'm doing now, because I'm already that handsome.

This discussion has been closed.