As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

League Of Legends: River Kings, a Brackish Keel-Overhaul of Piracy and LCS in full swing

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    I need to need to need to need to need to get over this mental barrier and just. play. normals vs people.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I need to need to need to need to need to get over this mental barrier and just. play. normals vs people.

Grab a buddy and do some 1v1s, you can test out matchups and learn how to not get dumbsterd by someone who will tell you what to do and not just say omg noob uninstall.

Would love to do this, but wrong server and I think the acc I have on NA is level 6 and 3 years old.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Grab a buddy and do some 1v1s, you can test out matchups and learn how to not get dumbsterd by someone who will tell you what to do and not just say omg noob uninstall.

Would love to do this, but wrong server and I think the acc I have on NA is level 6 and 3 years old.

It's really more of a weird anxiety thing I have developed. I've done a LOT of research and many many AI games with my main characters, I know what do do for the most part. Mechanically and matchup-wise, I know what I'm doing and what I need to do, especially on characters like Sion. I have my Runes set up, my masteries set up, but for some reason I am intimidated by even just playing normals. I play them here and there, but I can't get into a groove where I can play them every day.

Normally, I'm very competitive, especially in fighting games, but I have the background and years invested into that genre. MOBA's are new and i guess more intimidating because the games are snowbally and they are not over quickly. and once you are in, you are in for at least the next 30 or so minutes. I need to figure something out.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Yeah I was surprised that in HotS for example you said that game with me was your first pvp win because you had been playing v. bots. No one knows how to play HotS; it's in beta, and you get matchmade with a full team of bads vs other bads so it's totally fine. I play it with my crappy laptop while drinking and have loads of fun.

In LoL people are a bit more full of themselves, and I won't play Ranked while drinking (normals are fair game though), but regardless, the people you are matchmade with are at your skill level (or will be, once you've played 5-10 pvp games and the matchmaker situates you properly)--so don't worry about letting down your team, or about the fact that you don't always execute a combo correctly. They're all at your skill level (or in groups with your average skill level, so maybe one is better than you and one is worse).

PvP is really just the most fun; vs AI doesn't compare. Also importantly, you will not improve much by playing bots. How can you get in 1v1 toplane practice (you still want to main top, right?) in a co-op vs AI game?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    @credeiki
    I really don't know. I found it much more relaxing to play with another PA person. In LoL when I play top, I just play mad conservative if I'm 1v2 bots, or pretend like i'm only fighting one bot if it's a duo toplane.

HotS does have the "new/non-established" factor, so I can probably relax more in that game, but as we all know, LoL players are LoL players. It doesn't bother me in say Street Fighter because well, I'm pretty good at Street Fighter and I can crush most intermediate to high skill players online. I do wish there was a way to get more normals in with PA in LoL, but I think since everyone is much higher on the ladder if they group with me it throws off the matchmaking? Is that not the case?

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hiryu based on how much effort it seems like you've put into learning this game the last few months you should definitely be in normals (I thought you had been). Even when it's in shitty-matchmaking-time like this weekend (because anyone group queueing puts the matchmaking system on LSD), there is still SO much more to learn from a losing normal than yet another guaranteed-to-win bot game. Your games that aren't bullshitty (everyone also under 30) will be really interesting, and even when you get the game where the enemy has two gold players vs your level 17-25s, you can get something out of it (even if it is a little frustrating when they snowball). Bot games will make you sloppy, too, because they're so predictable and ignore everything between the lanes. As a bonus, you'll be surprised by the dumb mistakes real players sometimes make. I know what you mean about being anxious, I was like that in WoW arenas and a little with LoL at first, but the best thing is just to realize no one else cares about your performance as much as you do, and just play. Normals are to most long-time players what bot games are to us newbies, low-pressure relaxed mode.

I'm 27, add me (Gergor) and we can play together sometime.

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    Thanks @Red Raevyn
    I appreciate the encouragement. The thing is, the points you are making are things I've been telling myself for a while now. If a person says they want to learn SF, i tell them to ignore Arcade mode and play either vs people online no matter what, or put time into training mode to work on execution. For pretty much the exact same reasons you gave above. People make mistakes, psychological aspects of competition etc. So I don't know why I balk so much. I will do my best to play at least one normal today. Will add you.

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    @Hiryu02 I think the main thing is that you didn't have some one to just drag you with them. When I pulled my brother into league he had to play with me and a friend of mine vs people and we just left him top lane and told him to kill minions try not to die.

So Que up with Reavyn and do some game, just haveing someone to throw ball with mid match is super important to get into the propper feeling.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I also think NA has a shot this year.
    Korea is in shambles and appears to be weak to early aggression (for notes on that - see TSM/C9 jungle invades by supports)
    Europe is, well, still Europe and trend towards stable meta/lategame (other than UOL)
    China are dive kings, but given NA solo queue etc., NA is used to dealing with that

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    You have the worst opinions Harbad. : (

Eh, I've been told worse.
    My opinions were before watching all games of TSM v C9.
    After watching the games, though...
    Dyrus did alright, but I really loved what Bjerg did...he was hands-down the MVP across all games (again, in my opinion).
    I was also intrigued by the Kennen support. Maybe I'll give it a try when I feel like getting back into league.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    So there's apparently some kinda crazy civil war going on with league content creators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2sLLdJ1Pm8

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    But in more actually entertaining news: FUCKING ILLUMINATI SHACO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4yTSLNxMqA&feature=share

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    The vote brigading and collusion is definitely concerning. The other stuff, well, immature kids are going to be immature kids, however it doesn't surprise me that Brofresco is a tool. And that UberDanger guy is a walking shitlord.

Fucking young people today man. Though it is somewhat illuminating that Redmercy, who is a Youtuber that I like is not listed in the allegations and apparently didn't even know of the existence of the cabal. It is also ironic that it seems that vvvortic actually did some good in exposing this group.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You have the worst opinions Harbad. : (

Eh, I've been told worse.
    My opinions were before watching all games of TSM v C9.
    After watching the games, though...
    Dyrus did alright, but I really loved what Bjerg did...he was hands-down the MVP across all games (again, in my opinion).
    I was also intrigued by the Kennen support. Maybe I'll give it a try when I feel like getting back into league.

Dyrus is one of the best top laners around because he can get shit on all game while Santorin focuses on getting mid and bot lane ahead and still be useful late game.

That's what TSM does, they get their god king mid laner and hyper aggressive ADC ahead, and have Dyrus play tanky champs to support them. There's more to pro play than a player's K/D/A and there's a reason Dyrus has been such a staple on a team that isn't afraid to make roster changes.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    bot games give you less xp so you're making your slog to 30 longer

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Also, @Hiryu02, don't think of them as people. They aren't.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    @Hiryu02

Just pretend that you're back in the days when some of us started playing, where a Normal 5v5 Summoner's Rift was all you had at level 2.

Jump in some more! Don't take anyone too seriously and have some fun. You know more than the majority you'll play against, and you should thrive on the "real deal" just like fighting games, as you recommend.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    @credeiki
    I really don't know. I found it much more relaxing to play with another PA person. In LoL when I play top, I just play mad conservative if I'm 1v2 bots, or pretend like i'm only fighting one bot if it's a duo toplane.

HotS does have the "new/non-established" factor, so I can probably relax more in that game, but as we all know, LoL players are LoL players. It doesn't bother me in say Street Fighter because well, I'm pretty good at Street Fighter and I can crush most intermediate to high skill players online. I do wish there was a way to get more normals in with PA in LoL, but I think since everyone is much higher on the ladder if they group with me it throws off the matchmaking? Is that not the case?

The answer is simply to not give a fuck. Do your utmost to win the game you're in, rage, vent, pound your desk in frustration but at the end of the day it will have been one game out of the hundreds or thousands that you are going to play over your lol career. There will always be another match to queue into. You can't swim if you don't ever get into the water.

If someone was a shitlord in your game? Wait 5 mins after the game ends and you will probably never play with them again.

Of course if you have several bad games in a row, it's fine to take a break. There will be win streaks and loss streaks. There will be games that make you swear never to play league again, and to that I say, "See you tomorrow."

Man that sounded like hokey inspirational book speech bullshit but I hope it gets the point across that each one game doesn't mean shit in the scheme of things, and every league game is that one game

PS as a wise league player once told me, every game is a 1v9

Orphane on
  • Options
    Remember, they're just the 9 exquisitely programmed and entirely irrational bots standing between you and successfully pulling the lever on that Skinner box.

Mute them all, and play carries.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Umm, I don't think I play any carry top laners. Does Darius count? Or fuck it, let's Olaf.

• Options
    Top lane is not great for carry.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Play Hecarim.

Be a horse.

Murder EVERYONE.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    You don't have to play a carry to 1v9. Playing support and forcibly dragging your adc kicking and screaming to victory can be pretty satisfying--you can ruin three people's days that way (enemy adc+support, and your adc who really wanted to lose but you didn't let them).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Man, you're still trying to get to level 30.

Play whatever the fuck you find fun. Done.

Keep having fun.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Umm, I don't think I play any carry top laners. Does Darius count? Or fuck it, let's Olaf.

Darius counts in games where you get to go flat-out insane on people because they're relatively immobile, which you won't always. Olaf is pretty similar.

• Options
    But in more actually entertaining news: FUCKING ILLUMINATI SHACO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4yTSLNxMqA&feature=share

Pink Ward is the Sun Tzu of league

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    Play Hecarim.

Be a horse.

Murder EVERYONE.

Only if you can make top notch horse noises.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    Pink Ward is the Sun Tzu of league

I'm assuming this means that a lot of idiots will copy him without understanding what they're doing?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yes

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I make cow noises ala diablo 2 cow level when I play ali

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I make cow noises ala diablo 2 cow level when I play ali
    I prefer clown noises.

*HONK*

*SPROING*

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Oh man, I logged in just as Hiryu was starting his match. Hit spectate and his team is:
    • Olaf
    • Lee Sin
    • Syndra (level 5)
    • Ahri (heal/teleport, TPed to bottom turret at 15 seconds Urf style)
    • Ashe

vs
    • Shyvana (smite/tp)
    • Rek'sai
    • Katarina (silver)
    • Ezreal
    • Sona

*popcorn*

Edit: Oh god I hate Katarina. Hiryu is killing it in this game, but Katarina keeps getting faceroll double/triple kills on his teammates

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    Oh wow lol, yeah I did okay in lane vs TP/Smite Shyv as Olaf, but mid got rolled.

Towards the end it was just a stomp with Kat, she was the only 18 in the game at the end. Plus our Ashe kept DC'ing in and out, so it was basically 4v5.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1800603670/227663147

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    So there's apparently some kinda crazy civil war going on with league content creators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2sLLdJ1Pm8

SivHD, DiscoHeat, and JumpInThePack are pretty much all I follow on YouTube for LoL (who still publish content, that is...I really miss xChinNin); some of these other League content creators aren't necessarily stupid, but they're naive and say/do a lot of stupid shit that leaves a bad taste in the community's mouth.
    It's sadly becoming a mix of political and personal information that should be split, but it's all getting mixed together (just like government politics, I guess) when it doesn't have to.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    Yay! First normal win on Olaf! Didn't carry, but I bore my own weight, I think.

• Options
    Riot's moving offices and provided some shots of their new place:
    http://www.riotgames.com/articles/20150420/1663/twas-night-our-move-la

PC%20Bang.jpg

Bilgewater.jpg

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Yay! First normal win on Olaf! Didn't carry, but I bore my own weight, I think.

See now? That feeling right now? That's the start of addiction. Good luck

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    ah

so that's what they bought with the DJ Sona money.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I feel like we're starting to enter ION Storm territory here. Like, new hires will be greeted with "welcome to Riot, here's the keys to your company Lamborghini, if you wreck it don't worry, we've got spares." And then we never see another new champ/rework/whatever again because they're all too busy shooting pool 7 hours a day or whatever.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    I feel like we're starting to enter ION Storm territory here. Like, new hires will be greeted with "welcome to Riot, here's the keys to your company Lamborghini, if you wreck it don't worry, we've got spares." And then we never see another new champ/rework/whatever again because they're all too busy shooting pool 7 hours a day or whatever.

I don't think they're really at daikatana dev team levels of crazy

especially given that their product is bringing the dough in