As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Ahhh... Madoka makes me cry so much, and now there's a version that's more compacted and has 99% less naked middle schooler. Which, was kinda slightly poorly done but the art styles are so varied it probably doesn't stand out too much to most viewer.

I can now force everyone I know who tolerates anime a little to watch it!

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Ahhh... Madoka makes me cry so much, and now there's a version that's more compacted and has 99% less naked middle schooler. Which, was kinda slightly poorly done but the art styles are so varied it probably doesn't stand out too much to most viewer.

The fucking fuck? So not compact version depicts naked kids and it is something you watch??

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Sense8 soon!

Huzzah!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Mulletude wrote: »

The fucking fuck? So not compact version depicts naked kids and it is something you watch??

Ehh... The original series. Naked kid in the OP, and the end of the last EP has a long sequence.

Welcome to magic girl anime. Madoka is actually not too awful about it, but what was there in the series has been tuned down in the movies or the version Netflix has.

Edit: seriously. Like even the original Madoka almost totally avoids gaze based shots or other 'titrating' cliché. Card Captor and sailor moon(particularly movies) are worse. Just one of the bigger things about Madoka is yeah... it's got some bits that don't strictly speaking work in american culture despite being really good about not sexualizing the characters. And that is gone now! Woohoo!

redx on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

In non-spoiler terms, there is one sequence that has two of the characters in an out-of-body astral form, the typical "floating in space naked" thing you see in some shows. There is no visible nudity, it's all Barbie doll anatomy.

It still looked kind of awkward though, which is why the recap films changed it by giving them starry "dresses".

The Madoka series is generally free of the kind of stuff that many shows are guilty of. There are no panty shots, hotsprings episodes, or anything of the sort.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    In the early '90s I went to my local comics store and started looking at a manga called Mai, the Psychic Girl. The first page I randomly flipped to had the 14-year-old protagonist completely nude while doing an astral projection. I promptly put the book back on the shelf. I mentioned it to an adult, and that person talked about an entire genre of Japanese literature that involved men stalking, raping, and then murdering innocent women.

The moral of this story is that the Japanese have very different standards than Americans do. News at 11.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    For some reason I thought it was the 5th all day, so all day at work I was like yes, sense8, then I got home and was like nooo

but as I was typing this post I noticed it's after midnight, so yess!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I live

sense8 is live

I have just about an hour before I leave for work

the first episode is 1h 6m

this might be a problem

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    In the early '90s I went to my local comics store and started looking at a manga called Mai, the Psychic Girl. The first page I randomly flipped to had the 14-year-old protagonist completely nude while doing an astral projection. I promptly put the book back on the shelf. I mentioned it to an adult, and that person talked about an entire genre of Japanese literature that involved men stalking, raping, and then murdering innocent women.

The moral of this story is that the Japanese have very different standards than Americans do. News at 11.

This is also one of the reasons there are no Anime threads on this board. I gather it was bitch to moderate.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    So, Sense8.
    Happy Pride, indeed.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Just finished the first episode of Sense8. I am calling this one a winner. It's OOOOOZING with that Wichowski style. The storyline and top notch so far.
    The first episode was an awesome smattering of their early work. They did the big fuck scene from Fetch. A lot of the scenes reminded me of the beginning of The Matrix.

And I made a thread
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/198641/sense8-wachowskis-jm-starzenski-compelling-tv?new=1

That_Guy on
  • Options

This does not represent the entire thought process of the Japanese.

It just means they have less restrictions in what can be published. Stuff like that is not the "standard" nor is it acceptable.

• Options

This does not represent the entire thought process of the Japanese.

It just means they have less restrictions in what can be published. Stuff like that is not the "standard" nor is it acceptable.

Ah, I'm talking about "standards and practices," pretty much literally what the restrictions on what can be published are, not moral or ethical standards.

So we're on the same page? Yes? Good.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Anime in the early 2000s until recently seemed to go into the same death spiral comic books did in the 90s, where they focused on the worst aspects of the medium because companies felt that that was what the most rabid die-hards demanded. There was definitely a period where every anime I checked out based on reviews, I pretty quickly noped out because of the squick factor.

Whether because of a new injection in capital from the streaming services - shows like Attack on Titan seem really popular on Netflix - or just a shift in the market in Japan, I've had a lot more success lately checking out popular recommendations and not feeling like I'm in danger of being put on a watchlist.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    From a quality standpoint, Anime is the best it's ever been in a very long time. You only have to look at recent hits like Attack on Titan, Madoka, Fate/Stay Night, Rage of Bahamut and other legitimately terrific stuff that continues to pour out every month.

Yes, there are still the shamelessly pandering shows, but if you pay attention to the actual reception of said shows, very few of them wind up being popular or even recognized. One of the most recent efforts, a piece of trash by the name of Triage X, bombed spectacularly. There may be a market for shameless titty shows, but the majority of fans from both sides of the pond demand a bit more substance.

But back to Netflix talk: is Sense8 one of those shows that requires a few episodes before it actually picks up, or does it start swinging right from the start?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    But back to Netflix talk: is Sense8 one of those shows that requires a few episodes before it actually picks up, or does it start swinging right from the start?

Episode 1 has Martha Jones driving a motorcycle in the San Francisco Pride parade. Episode 2 has a Bollywood dance number. I'm thinking it hits the ground running.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Boobies plays a pretty central role in Space Dandy, which is kinda a masterpiece.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Lost Boys and the first Mortal Kombat movie are up now.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Boobies plays a pretty central role in Space Dandy, which is kinda a masterpiece.

Boobies fit the style of the show. The notable thing with Space Dandy is that the boodies are attached to grown women.

Or weird aliens. Whichever floats your boat, baby.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The Lost Boys and the first Mortal Kombat movie are up now.

Lost Boys!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Episode 1 has Martha Jones driving a motorcycle in the San Francisco Pride parade. Episode 2 has a Bollywood dance number. I'm thinking it hits the ground running.

Both are in episode 2, fyi :)

Tamin on
  • Options
    Tamin wrote: »

Both are in episode 2, fyi :)

Whoops. I was trying to think of something involving Martha Jones in the first episode that wasn't rated NC-17.

• Options
    I don't really agree with this whole recent anime is great thing. 2007 and 2008 and 2011 were epic.

Seriously, most years have a few shows that knock it out of the park, some OK stuff and a sea of garbage.

I think your just seeing things through a better filter. Good things getting streaming as opposed to the everything of fansubs or crap that you could watch legally on TV or at $40 a DVD. And you are getting advice from more discerning fans.

• Options
    Ugh, I know why it's there, I get it, but so tired getting home, turning on Netflix, seeing a big full page ad for a new season of something I've been waiting for the new season of...

just to see a "coming soon on XX date" at the bottom. GRRRRR

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Does anybody else use the Xbox One app for Netflix? Did this update recently (like last couple days)? I notice now that A) I can no longer snap this app and B) the framerate stutters like a motherfucker. Watchable, but reminiscent of watching a terrible webcast on a low-powered laptop.

This just me?

• Options
    Ugh, I know why it's there, I get it, but so tired getting home, turning on Netflix, seeing a big full page ad for a new season of something I've been waiting for the new season of...

Just watch Sense8 until Orange is the New Black's new season comes out.

• Options

Just watch Sense8 until Orange is the New Black's new season comes out.
    and then Bojack Horseman after Orange is the new black!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You know, it's hard to regard what Netflix is doing as simply making TV shows. Sure some of what they are producing is TV grade material, but there's a whole different strategy behind it. What we are finally seeing is long form movies. Episodes of Daredevil, Sense8, House of Cards, hell even Bojack are all presented as movements in a greater simphony. Where movies have 2-3 hours at most to tell a story, these new long form movies are able to spend the time it takes to tell a much more complex story. More than any time in the past, TV is about telling compelling stories. Reality TV and Fox News are dying forms. Youtube has rendered their draw moot.

• Options
    Just finished ep 1 of sense8.

Wow. Very good and very intense.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You know, it's hard to regard what Netflix is doing as simply making TV shows. Sure some of what they are producing is TV grade material, but there's a whole different strategy behind it. What we are finally seeing is long form movies. Episodes of Daredevil, Sense8, House of Cards, hell even Bojack are all presented as movements in a greater simphony. Where movies have 2-3 hours at most to tell a story, these new long form movies are able to spend the time it takes to tell a much more complex story. More than any time in the past, TV is about telling compelling stories. Reality TV and Fox News are dying forms. Youtube has rendered their draw moot.

I am also quite digging the number of serialized dramas that are being made and feel that Netflix, AMC and HBO are doing a lot for the quality of media by giving showmakingpeople the freedom and support to do this.

New form? I don't know. I feel it is something a lot of writers/directors/producers kinda strove for in the past and were forced by network executives and production time tables to end up with more episodic shows.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Just finished ep 1 of sense8.

Wow. Very good and very intense.
    I felt like I had to get to episode 3 before it started to go anywhere plot-wise, but the main characters seem pretty compelling right off the bat. And the later episodes take the more vanilla characters (young rookie cop from Chicago, Korean businesswoman) and add some surprising revelations later.

Haven't finished it yet, but it's been "worth watching" very quickly.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Im middle of ep 2 and im still waiting to find out where this is all going but the characters have drawn me totally in. Just the setup is very compelling.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Seen the first two episodes of Sense8. I'm digging it so far, but I can't help but feel a lot of the main cast is leaning a bit too hard on stereotypes.
    The do-gooder cop who must save every life, even if there's a contradiction. Mocked by his former cop father.

The ridiculously handsome hispanic movie star who is desired by every woman, but is also secretly gay.

The transgender woman who has a godawful, almost comic-bookish mother and attends numerous LGBT pride parades.

The Korean girl who is part of a wealthy family but is looked down on for being the female (hinted by the whole "where is your brother, go get us coffee" scene). She also practices yoga, because that's a thing Asian women do.

The British girl who is super into techno and dabbles a bit in drugs. Also she cuts herself, because that's a thing drug-using DJs do.

It's certainly a diverse lineup, but I think its still a bit type-cast.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The most diverse type-casting ever and some of your complaints arent even correct.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Probably a better discussion for the Sense8 thread (and in fact is being discussed there some), but just briefly, the show leans on some stereotypes and tropes a bit because it is going for very Big Ideas, and in some cases needs to cut some corners to get the audience on the same page. I thought it was interesting, though, that some of the tropes are used in somewhat subversive ways. Like, the Asian lady knows martial arts... but it looks closer to Muy Thai than the traditional Korean Taekwondo or Hapkido.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

God, I hope it is. I don't like Fox News, but even crazy conservatives get their say so something like Fox News have to be endured. Reality television however is a scourge. The sooner the Real Housewives craze dies out the better.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Kipling217 wrote: »

God, I hope it is. I don't like Fox News, but even crazy conservatives get their say so something like Fox News have to be endured. Reality television however is a scourge. The sooner the Real Housewives craze dies out the better.

There was half a generation where large chunks of the were exposed from a very early age to not much other than reality TV.

Like, there was talk about the MTv Generation when it was music, Kurt Loder, and Liquid Televisions.

There's ~20 million 20 somethings who's greatest TV moment was the My Super Sweet 16 And Pregnant cross over episode.

Despair!

redx on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Reality television is incredibly cost effective. For low-brow networks it's going to be a cash cow for a long time.

It's not really sustainable on streaming services or internet-based entertainment outlets because youtube is like right there.

So it'll probably be around as long as cable remains a viable method of distribution.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Are you really going to exempt Sense8 from your usual policy of skipping the intros while binge watching, Netflix?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

It's not like this is a new thing. Cable TV has been doing this for so long. That was always the appeal of HBO's shows, and more recently AMC/FX and what not. When you watched The Wire or whatever, you knew you were in for basically a novel in TV form. Netflix is just doing more of that, and giving you the whole season all at once.