As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    My wife prefers having subtitles on all the time too. She says it helps her pay attention better. I've gotten used to it, plus it helps me hear things that I don't always make out 100% of the time.

I finally watched the third Paradise Lost documentary tonight on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it, although it felt a bit weaker compared to the first two. Seemed like they covered a lot of the same ground. It was nice to see the West Memphis Three finally get out in the epilogue, even though I'd already seen that as it happened a few years ago.

I also watched Interstellar on Amazon Prime. Enjoyed it, although it probably works best if you don't think too hard about everything.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm mildly hard of hearing and I read so fast it helps me pay attention to everything happening in the scene. I can read lines before they're out and focus on how they're delivered rather than the content.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Also, sometimes the subtitles are slightly different than what the actors actually say, and it's interesting to consider whether this is a failure of the transcriber, or if they went off-script, or if they didn't have screen space/air time to put the whole lines in.

From Dusk 'Til Dawn: The Series has a lot of this; some of the rapid-fire Tarantino-style dialogue doesn't quite make it to the subtitles, and my guess it's the third option.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    There are rules/guidelines for how long the subtitles stay on the screen (word per minute stuff), and for word count and type/spacing/etc, so there are some limitation they have to work around. Something like a Tarantino flick can absolutely be tricky.

These rules can of course differ from service to service, and station to station, and whatnot.

You can probably Google something like the UK's Ofcom rules and regulations, read them, and then know what true horror is.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I watch most everything with subtitles because when my kids are awake, even if they're in their playroom, chances are at any moment they're going to run screaming through the living room singing songs and what not and it's the only way I won't miss dialogue during those moments. Now it's just a habit where I keep them on even if they're asleep or something, and just don't read them unless I need to.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Interstellar would work if you just didn't pause it to go eat dinner, go to the bathroom or play games

seriously that movie needed to be an hour shorter

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Also, sometimes the subtitles are slightly different than what the actors actually say, and it's interesting to consider whether this is a failure of the transcriber, or if they went off-script, or if they didn't have screen space/air time to put the whole lines in.

From Dusk 'Til Dawn: The Series has a lot of this; some of the rapid-fire Tarantino-style dialogue doesn't quite make it to the subtitles, and my guess it's the third option.

The Bridge didn't subtitle quite a few Spanish swear words.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    On Hulu, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has a 2016 election special thing going, and it's great.

Here he interviews college kids and destroys their safe space and they just look like total sticks in the mud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j556MWGVVqI

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I've mentioned it in chat multiple times, but lately I've been watching the Korean drama Answer Me 1997.
    a 2012 South Korean television series that centers on the lives of six friends in Busan, as the timeline moves back and forth between their past as 18-year-old high schoolers in 1997 and their present as 33-year-olds at their high school reunion dinner in 2012, where one couple will announce that they're getting married. The coming-of-age drama also examines the extreme fan culture that emerged in the 1990s when first generation idol groups such as H.O.T. and Sechs Kies took center stage and K-pop was just blossoming.

The main girl Shiwon is basically right in the heart of the Korean equivalent of BeatleMania, which I think is really the most interesting part of the show. Stories often refer affectionately to teen girl crazes as a knowing wink at an era, but I can't really remember any shows that have treated it as something that really needs much examination. But Shiwon's embarrassingly neckbeardy love for her chosen boyband is both a way for her to explore ideas about love and desire, as well as being a safe haven for her to retreat from life when things are shitty. Though it's a romantic comedy it actually reminds me a lot of Freaks and Geeks. It does some other pretty interesting things too, including a really sympathetically portrayed gay character which is not common at all in Korean shows, but that would be getting into spoilers.

There's a lot of in-jokes to korean politics and pop culture of the late '90s which of course mostly goes over my head, but the coming of age story in a very specific, mostly non-glamorized setting gives it a lot of interest.

https://youtu.be/DOfsjk4kotY

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRrlH8mZPAU

Those jokes are bad but they're being done sincerely so I'm still pumped for this!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That is far more fan service that I care for.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Someone please do let me know if it turns out to be live action bojack.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    On Hulu, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has a 2016 election special thing going, and it's great.

Here he interviews college kids and destroys their safe space and they just look like total sticks in the mud:

Their faces when he brings in the police sketch artist. I'm crying

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    You guys have to watch the whole special, it skewers everyone in what old SNL/Weekend Update way and the Indecision 2000 way for 90 minutes.

When Triumph is being shunned after a democratic debate by the press team spin guys, he brings in a black woman in a wheelchair to ask his questions because he knows they can't say no to such optics.

Ted Cruz and his people won't stop to talk to Triumph so he follows him everywhere in Iowa and even gets the Dell Dude to ask his questions.

It's glorious.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It seems that for some reason our ISP and Netflix don't play well together any more. I've read a couple of articles on this and it seems to have something to do with direct peering and cache servers, and with our provider doing neither of those with respect to Netflix; to be honest, I don't understand enough about how these things work, so those articles were all Greek to me, but the result is that the last two evenings we watched Doctor Who and the image quality was probably about the same as what I remember from the good old days of taping TV onto VHS. My overall connection should be more than fast enough, so the situation sucks more than a little. Here's hoping it's just a temporary thing.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    It seems that for some reason our ISP and Netflix don't play well together any more. I've read a couple of articles on this and it seems to have something to do with direct peering and cache servers, and with our provider doing neither of those with respect to Netflix; to be honest, I don't understand enough about how these things work, so those articles were all Greek to me, but the result is that the last two evenings we watched Doctor Who and the image quality was probably about the same as what I remember from the good old days of taping TV onto VHS. My overall connection should be more than fast enough, so the situation sucks more than a little. Here's hoping it's just a temporary thing.

Is it more prevalent during certain times of the day , especially peak times? could just be they are lazy/cheap and are throttling peak hours.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

This is hilarious but I don't think they look like sticks in the mud

It's pretty clear they're trying their hardest not to bust out laughing pretty much constantly. The camera catches a few of them when it pans back and forth

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Thirith wrote: »

Is it more prevalent during certain times of the day , especially peak times? could just be they are lazy/cheap and are throttling peak hours.
    We don't use Netflix on a daily basis, so it's difficult to say. Based on the little data I have, it works well during the day (we usually watch Jessica Jones over lunch on Friday or Saturday) and badly in the evenings (last two evenings, Doctor Who). Yesterday was especially bad, although if I'm not mistaken it jumped from ultra-low resolutions straight to something along the lines of 720p occasionally, but then it went back to pixel art after 5-10 seconds. Some people are claiming that the provider is sabotaging Netflix (by not taking them up on the offer of a cache server or direct peering) because they want to push their own streaming offer.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Until Comcast made a deal with Netflix to house servers its was real shitty out here. You couldn't get HD anywhere near prime viewing hours.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

As a Swede I find the errors in Netflix subtitles hilarious.

My favorite was when someone on Sons of Anarchy said "Old white money" and the subtitles went "Old white monkey".

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

As a Swede I find the errors in Netflix subtitles hilarious.

My favorite was when someone on Sons of Anarchy said "Old white money" and the subtitles went "Old white monkey".

Now I want to see that subtitle team do this scene.

https://youtu.be/OZuO3BHnPQs

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    That is far more fan service that I care for.

I'm not going to lie. Part of me is a little disappointed that it's a different kind of fan service than I expected.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Just finished Dark Matter. My initial suspicions were confirmed but GODDAMN they had me second guessing myself towards the end there. I feel like Dark Matter is everything that Stargate Universe should have been. It's got better acting, better writing and overall better design. The actors all work well with each other and play their characters quite well. I really enjoyed all the character moments throughout the season. I'm especially impressed with how much they were able to do with such a limited budget. Those Stargate alums are able to work magic with industrial warehouses and office buildings to turn them into relatively believable scifi settings. I'll admit to a hearty LOL at seeing an iPad taped to a freezer door to look like a futuristic security room but immersion breaking moments rarely popped up. I can't wait to see what they do with Season 2 now that the ship set is fully built out and they get a bigger budget.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Amazon really needs to make their rental and digital purchase options a little more reasonable. I was in a DC animation mood, and wanted to rent Son of batman and a couple others to stream, but at $5 a pop it was more worthwhile to just buy them. Then I realized it was cheaper to buy them on bluray than purchase them digitally! That's ridiculous.

• Options
    I guess Paypal is helping the crackdown on VPn's and stuff, Unblockus and a bunch of others no longer can accept paypal payments at the end of this month.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Amazon really needs to make their rental and digital purchase options a little more reasonable. I was in a DC animation mood, and wanted to rent Son of batman and a couple others to stream, but at $5 a pop it was more worthwhile to just buy them. Then I realized it was cheaper to buy them on bluray than purchase them digitally! That's ridiculous.

I have definitely not bought things I found and wanted due to price. They probably could sell more if they lowered prices, but then again I have no idea what their costs are in licensing and the whole "we have to host this forever", though that later approaches 0 per customer if they sell enough. Somethings certainly do seem more affordable, and varying licensing costs may possibly play a significant role.

I'd buy more if it were cheaper. That doesn't always mean more profits. Amazon sells a lot of stuff, presumably they are good at figuring out price points. Shrug.

If you go look at the stream, and buy the bluray, they probably know. In some sort of big data aggregate way.

But, OTOH, HD streaming is more valuable to me than bluray. I don't even own a bluray player, or have shelf space for a collection of discs, and it's nice being able to watch thing wherever I am on whatever device I have, without trying to plan ahead and decide what I want to watch when I'm packing for travel.

I think 'I found it cheaper on basically a dead form of media' is a poor argument.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    redx wrote: »

I have definitely not bought things I found and wanted due to price. They probably could sell more if they lowered prices, but then again I have no idea what their costs are in licensing and the whole "we have to host this forever", though that later approaches 0 per customer if they sell enough. Somethings certainly do seem more affordable, and varying licensing costs may possibly play a significant role.

I'd buy more if it were cheaper. That doesn't always mean more profits. Amazon sells a lot of stuff, presumably they are good at figuring out price points. Shrug.

If you go look at the stream, and buy the bluray, they probably know. In some sort of big data aggregate way.

But, OTOH, HD streaming is more valuable to me than bluray. I don't even own a bluray player, or have shelf space for a collection of discs, and it's nice being able to watch thing wherever I am on whatever device I have, without trying to plan ahead and decide what I want to watch when I'm packing for travel.

I think 'I found it cheaper on basically a dead form of media' is a poor argument.

I should also mention the bluray was a combo pack with a DVD and digital ultraviolet copy as well....

Also to call Blurays a dead form of media is ridiculous. The majority of the country couldn't stream in hi-def if they wanted to. This is the streaming thread though so I'm not going to get into a debate with you about how goosey that comment is.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I guess Paypal is helping the crackdown on VPn's and stuff, Unblockus and a bunch of others no longer can accept paypal payments at the end of this month.

Wow. Considering the number of uses for VPNs, this is.... some bullshit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Wow. Considering the number of uses for VPNs, this is.... some bullshit.

We live in a very annoying time for imaginary boundaries affecting our things.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    First they came for the good Netflix content and I did nothing because I still had Proxies.
    Then they came for the VPNs and I did nothing because I still had Hulu.
    Then they came for the next day streaming and I did nothing because I still had Amazon.
    Then they laughed because come on, it's Amazon.

Jesus Wept.

• Options
    Anyway, Love is up now, as is some Netflix cooking show called Cooked which seems to be science and food or something, as is all season of An Idiot Abroad.

And for Amazon, they have the new Macbeth movie (with Magneto), and the first season of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles!

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I found quite a few shows on Amazon Prime that I'm interested in, like round table talks with various show casts (Mythbusters, Burn Notice, Eureka, etc) as well as seasons of Tabletop with Wil Wheaton.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Narcos is amusing enough. It's very watchable. But boy is it ever the ultimate "Tell but don't show" show.

It's like the whole thing is narrated by the robot devil. "That made him so angry!"

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Watching one or two episodes of season 2 Young Justice per day; enjoying it, though I'm a little sketchy on this Virgil Hawkins plot.
    Static working with Lex Luthor? I suppose it's this version of his origin story, but having him not simply go defend Dakota when nobody else would is a little weird.

Crazy levels of shocked that they found a way for Apache Chief to not be goofy as hell. No idea who Teleporting Hispanic Kid and Completely Adorable Japaanese Girl are supposed to be.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Watching one or two episodes of season 2 Young Justice per day; enjoying it, though I'm a little sketchy on this Virgil Hawkins plot.
    Static working with Lex Luthor? I suppose it's this version of his origin story, but having him not simply go defend Dakota when nobody else would is a little weird.

Crazy levels of shocked that they found a way for Apache Chief to not be goofy as hell. No idea who Teleporting Hispanic Kid and Completely Adorable Japaanese Girl are supposed to be.
    Being away from Dakota keeps him in the plot consistently. I don't know who the other members are, either.

• Options

Being away from Dakota keeps him in the plot consistently. I don't know who the other members are, either.
    I assumed they were original characters, though in hindsight, given the hard on the creators had in season 2 for every character they could think of, that's probably unlikely.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I read somewhere today that the odds of a 3rd season of YJ on Netflix are very good.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I read somewhere today that the odds of a 3rd season of YJ on Netflix are very good.

I wonder if, by making a third season, Netflix can make Young Justice stick around permanently. The DC cartoons in particular are bad for vanishing and showing up again a few months later. That would actually be a good deal for everyone - Netflix makes another season but gets to keep the rights to stream the earlier seasons.

• Options

I wonder if, by making a third season, Netflix can make Young Justice stick around permanently. The DC cartoons in particular are bad for vanishing and showing up again a few months later. That would actually be a good deal for everyone - Netflix makes another season but gets to keep the rights to stream the earlier seasons.

That's pretty much entirely on Cartoon Network. They hate them because they bring in a different demographic then what their ads and toys are aimed at selling to, but since they are part of the same parent company they keep getting stuck with them. So they fuck them over with shitty scheduling until they can justifiably cancel them. It would be nice if Netflix would start taking them so so,e of these good shows can actually get a chance though.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

That's pretty much entirely on Cartoon Network. They hate them because they bring in a different demographic then what their ads and toys are aimed at selling to, but since they are part of the same parent company they keep getting stuck with them. So they fuck them over with shitty scheduling until they can justifiably cancel them. It would be nice if Netflix would start taking them so so,e of these good shows can actually get a chance though.

IIRC they did this with Justice League and Beware the Batman. It's extremely self defeating considering they're technically apart of the WB juggernaut.