As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Only a Carpathian would be stupid enough to post in the [Trailers] thread

CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
edited March 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    WB's plan for the BvS trailer.

It's fucking dumb.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

It's fucking dumb.

Wrong thread.

• Options
    It's in the OP and I'm talking about the trailer specifically.

It's a dumb idea for a trailer.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Is it the right thread for a page full of animated gifs from the new SW trailer?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/16/8431733/star-wars-episode-vii-gif-the-force-awakens-trailer

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

It's fucking dumb.

Releasing it alongside the Star Wars teaser and four days before their own full trailer is such a strange move.

We got the Ant Man teaser the day before the trailer, which helped to ramp up some hype and remind folk to look for it the next day, but besides being overshadowed by Star Wars today - did they think their tiny teaser could compete? - 3 days is probably long enough for hype to kinda fizzle these days.

That is some bizarre overconfidence.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Wash wrote: »

It's fucking dumb.

Releasing it alongside the Star Wars teaser and four days before their own full trailer is such a strange move.

We got the Ant Man teaser the day before the trailer, which helped to ramp up some hype and remind folk to look for it the next day, but besides being overshadowed by Star Wars today - did they think their tiny teaser could compete? - 3 days is probably long enough for hype to kinda fizzle these days.

That is some bizarre overconfidence.

It genuinely seems like they're trying to do things that might have worked ~15 years ago if you had a property and track record for the hype.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gallows trailer is dumb, and includes this new marketing bullshit for horror movies of all these quotes telling me how scary it is. Thanks your teaser quotes are the laugh tracks of trailers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That BvS teaser has the worst case of BWAAAM. Like, we've had a lot of trailers with some bad BWAAAM over the last few years, but that one is the worst.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    (it's actually sped up a bit, instead of BWAMMM it's going BATMANNNNN)

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Think everyone is letting their hate of Man of Steel convert the nothingness of a teaser for a teaser into hate for it. It's only bad in the sense all these nothing teasers are, it's not exceptional at it.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    That BvS teaser has the worst case of BWAAAM. Like, we've had a lot of trailers with some bad BWAAAM over the last few years, but that one is the worst.

It sounds like it was scored by the Reapers.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Star Wars gave me feels. I'm not even that big a fan.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The wars of star spoilers from the costume exhibit.

Apparently the empire is now the "The New Order"

And the Rebellion is now "The resistance"

Which tells me that the rebellions attempt to govern post the empire going to shit worked like garbage. Good job guys!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Which tells me that the rebellions attempt to govern post the empire going to shit worked like garbage. Good job guys!
    The First Order.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular

Actually for the first one, it's
    The First Order

But we can tell at least that some serious warfare went down from the wrecks in that trailer.
    Especially what appears to almost certainly be a Super Star Destroyer crashed upside down on Jakku that the Falcon flies into around 1:27

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It's a tradition the EU started. Can't have wars when the Rebels are competent, then they'd steamroll all opposition.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

But we can tell at least that some serious warfare went down from the wrecks in that trailer.
    Especially what appears to almost certainly be a Super Star Destroyer crashed upside down on Jakku that the Falcon flies into around 1:27
    I'm no scientist, but if that planet wasn't already a desert I imagine a flippin super star destroyer crashing into it probably wasn't too great for the local climate

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

I'm no scientist, but if that planet wasn't already a desert I imagine a flippin super star destroyer crashing into it probably wasn't too great for the local climate
    A really hideous crash-landing then, especially since all the ships are mostly intact.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Star Wars is back, baby! Definitely having the feel of the first 3 films.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Think everyone is letting their hate of Man of Steel convert the nothingness of a teaser for a teaser into hate for it. It's only bad in the sense all these nothing teasers are, it's not exceptional at it.

But that's just it; it's fucking pretentious nothing that serves no point other then to try and fluff job a teaser for a film DC has shuffled around so much it won't even release this year despite being ready to go by late summer.

It's pure, distilled anti-hype.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Star Wars is back, baby! Definitely having the feel of the first 3 films.
    Seriously, the trailer just feels right. Like a comforting childhood blankey or a bottle of Macallan.

(your mileage may vary on that second example)

I am mildly annoyed at Leia (assuming that's her) being handed the lightsaber with the emitter pointed at her. C'mon people, that's not how you hand a weapon to someone else!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Those stormtroopers getting tossed around in explosions actually look like real stormtroopers, not CGItroopers. If their armour still makes the *clack-clack* sound like in the orignal movies, I will be very happy. For some reason, I really like that sound.

So. Fucking. Excited.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Those stormtroopers getting tossed around in explosions actually look like real stormtroopers, not CGItroopers. If their armour still makes the *clack-clack* sound like in the orignal movies, I will be very happy. For some reason, I really like that sound.

So. Fucking. Excited.

It does look like as much of this movie as possible is going to be shot with practical effects so chances are those absolutely were real Stormtroopers with real explosions going off near them.

In trailer leak news: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/batman-v-superman-trailer-leaks-online-1201474431/

Spoilers, it's basically: BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM for like two minutes combined with a successful attempt at sucking the fun out of everything.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I am loving the iTrooper look more and more with each watching of that trailer.

• Options
    jamsyjamsy Somewhere in AsiaRegistered User regular
    Can I just say that with Star Wars, Kung Fury and everything else, its a good time to be alive?

Because hot diggity, it sure is.

Currently playing Brave Frontier & THE ALCHEMIST CODE - woop!
  • Options
    jamsy wrote: »
    Can I just say that with Star Wars, Kung Fury and everything else, its a good time to be alive?

Because hot diggity, it sure is.

There hasn't been a day that has gone by that I haven't been really happy I backed Kung Fury.

YOUR WELCOME INTERNET!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    A bit late, but I just saw a real life clip of that new astro droid at some convention or something (BB8? I think he's called). In the first teaser, I just dismissed him as a CGI R2-D2 clone. Now I realize R2 is going to have some competition for "Cutest-awesomest droid"

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I know right? I never doubted it being real, but to actually see it rolling around was magical and adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABzjUf3E_0c

Look at that little fucker.

@TOGSolid: Oh gee, a super secret 'exclusive' trailer got leaked on the internet. Shocking.

edzepp on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The fact that BB-8 is a practical model and not CG is cool as hell.

But back to the SW trailer... is it me or did Harrison Ford look more like he was cosplaying Han Solo than actually being Han?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That was the most alive I've seen Harrison Ford for a very long time.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It felt like the first time I've seen him smile in years.

Bubby on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ideally he shouldn't have to capture the same energy.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Will Han have a young hotheaded protegé in the film as well?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It seems like the lead in the new movie will be a female Jedi. I get an Obi Wan vibe off her.

I which they had Lando mugging at the camera. That would have been gold.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    On my god the BvS trailer is terrible. WB and DC have learned NOTHING from the success of Arrow and Flash.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It seems like the lead in the new movie will be a female Jedi. I get an Obi Wan vibe off her.

I which they had Lando mugging at the camera. That would have been gold.

New cast role spoilers
    The black stormtroopers ends up with the light saber.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

So. Fucking. Excited.

It does look like as much of this movie as possible is going to be shot with practical effects so chances are those absolutely were real Stormtroopers with real explosions going off near them.

In trailer leak news: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/batman-v-superman-trailer-leaks-online-1201474431/

Spoilers, it's basically: BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM for like two minutes combined with a successful attempt at sucking the fun out of everything.

Wow that looks like total shit.

Lh96QHG.png