As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Untitled)

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Superhero combat, like most competitions, doesn't work on the commutative property. If I beat you at chess, that doesn't guarantee that some guy you once beat at chess won't win against me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The Squirrel Girl joke is fine, it just needs to stay as a joke.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I always thought she was Marvel's answer to "Batman beats everyone", I mean she also beat Wolverine and Dr. Doom; the fact that it's in-continuity is the joke itself
    thanosclones2.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait, can we start with the comic nerding? Cause I need to know if the Arena operates under Robo's ridiculous science megaphysics, or more standard superhero stuff.

Don't forget Robo's own universe constantly breaks it's own rules just to irritate Robo

Edit: Is Robo allowed to have Carl Sagan and Jenkins backing him up? If so, no contest

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yo people are talking about who the frontrunners are based on who is stronger but Geebs didn't you say this isn't going to just be "who is the most powerful hero and would win in a fight"? Like there are specific scenarios and we have to argue why Character X would be the best at underwater basket weaving versus the rest or who would be the best pirate or something

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Yep, it says as much as in the second post of this thread.

Personally I'm waiting for the slam poetry round.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If Nightcrawler is in the pirate match that's going to be a bamf in the park.

• Options
    The Secret is there will be a matchup called " Who is greener" and we just all get banned

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The Secret is there will be a matchup called " Who is greener" and we just all get banned

New Thor would win that. She just started her superhero career a few issues ago.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Son of BeyonderSon of Beyonder From Beyond BeyondRegistered User regular
    Hints for Day Two:
    • The sixteen entrants today are from the Villains "Region"
    • Nine entrants appeared in the first villain tournament
    • Two entrants appeared in the inaugural hero tournament
    • Eight entrants are from DC. Eight entrants are from Marvel
    • One character has appeared in their own feature film
    • Ten characters have appeared in films
    • One will have appeared in a film by the time this contest begins

5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Ok the two hero tournament entrants who are now villains are Superior Iron Man and maybe Superior Spider-Man? Or...Maybe Havok since he is currently inverted? I guess it could be a DC character that I won't think of since I'm not following anything from that.

Langly on
  • Options
    and the one from a film by the time it begins will be Ultron.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Here's a link to the villain tournament, if anyone wants to take a look at it: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/8294/the-tournament-begins-rules-bitching

• Options
    Oh the other new villain might be Namor, I guess. I mean I don't know if I would call him a villain but he could definitely apply.

• Options
    DOCTOR DOOM
    hHbU3xP.jpg

Created by: Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
    Art by: Mike Wieringo

GORILLA GRODD
    wBZ2fNc.jpg

Created by: John Broome and Carmine Infantino
    Art by: David Finch

GREEN GOBLIN
    ypWltCS.jpg

Created by: Stan Lee and Steve Ditko
    Art by: Humberto Ramos

LEX LUTHOR
    QjRfjv1.jpg

Created by: Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster
    Art by: Leinil Yu

MAGNETO
    12MafGW.jpg

Art by: Chris Samnee

SINESTRO
    5AZ5Xrx.jpg

Created by: John Broome and Gil Kane
    Art by: Ethan Van Sciver

THE JOKER
    v1deNpu.jpg

Created by: Jerry Robinson, Bill Finger and Bob Kane
    Art by: Brian Bolland

ULTRON
    W9lRpg1.jpg

Created by: Roy Thomas and John Buscema
    Art by: Aleksi Briclot

5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • Options
    ELEKTRA
    aZLh0Ag.jpg

Created by: Frank Miller
    Art by: Mike Del Mundo

EMMA FROST
    HeeaH8T.jpg

Created by: Chris Claremont and John Byrne
    Art by: Stuart Immonen

ENCHANTRESS
    YeHqu99.jpg

Art by: Walt Simonson

HARLEY QUINN
    lSsnQDM.jpg

Created by: Paul Dini and Bruce Timm
    Art by: Mike Huddleston

KILLER FROST
    pAMHeDi.jpg

Created by: Gerry Conway and Al Milgrom
    Art by: Tony S. Daniel

MYSTIQUE
    Lm24Rh5.jpg

Created by: Dave Cockrum and Chris Claremont
    Art by: Ron Garney

POISON IVY
    ICc5hgA.jpg

Created by: Robert Kanigher and Sheldon Moldoff
    Art by: Stanley Lau

SUPERWOMAN
    ZjP5tjL.jpg

Created by: Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky
    Art by: Alan Davis

5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    noted philanthropist and pillar of the community Lex Luthor?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Emma Frost in with the villains?

• Options
    Is elektra a villain? Does she do villainous things? I guess I really don't actually know

• Options
    Certain choices were made because: there's a scarcity of female villains, putting certain characters in the villain category opens up more room for other characters in other categories, and also: this isn't really a "pure" thing. Emma Frost and Elektra both had villainous origins, whatever their current alignments.

• Options
    Certain choices were made because: there's a scarcity of female villains, putting certain characters in the villain category opens up more room for other characters in other categories, and also: this isn't really a "pure" thing. Emma Frost and Elektra both had villainous origins, whatever their current alignments.

after I posted my guesses, I thought oh you know 8 of these are probably women, and then I was like, what women villains...can I even think of

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Is elektra a villain? Does she do villainous things? I guess I really don't actually know

She was resurrected by the Hand(which makes you auto-evil) after being killed by Bullseye and until recently she's been a villian for awhile.

Emma Frost is Emma Frost. She dosen't really qualify for hero or villian, but you can pretty easily put her in either catagory, much like Namor.

If this were a straight up fight, Emma Frost rampages across this roster with the exception of Doom, Ultron, and Mags who all have anti-telepathy measures/is a robot.

Mags is an interesting thought exercise. He would easily trump Default Ultron and Default Doom, who are the two heavy hitters, but would probably have trouble with Superwoman, and would have an all out war against Sinestro. But then again, he dosen't have a fight here where he would straight up lose.

Sinestro could theoretically beat everyone on this list, but Grodd, Emma and Enchantress would bend him over backwards, and he would have too many tough fights with Ultron, Mags, Doom, Superwoman, and possibly even Killer Frost.

Ultron is a pretty solid choice. But he Auto-loses to Mag's, get's beat the hell out of by Superwoman, and has a war against Doom.

Doom is also a great choice, but he auto-loses to Mags, would have trouble against Superwoman, and possibly even Killer Frost, get's into a war with Enchantress.

So, in a straight up fight, I would have to say Mag's is the favorite, with Emma being a Dark Horse since if this were broken up by gender, she would annihilate the female division and if things broke right and she got Sinestro, she would win the whole thing.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

I mean she's an assassin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

after I posted my guesses, I thought oh you know 8 of these are probably women, and then I was like, what women villains...can I even think of

this was easily the hardest category to fill in terms of women, and it had some of the hardest cuts to make on the men's side, like...we had a whole villains tournament, so limiting it to 16 was super rough

• Options

She was resurrected by the Hand(which makes you auto-evil) after being killed by Bullseye and until recently she's been a villian for awhile.

Emma Frost is Emma Frost. She dosen't really qualify for hero or villian, but you can pretty easily put her in either catagory, much like Namor.

If this were a straight up fight, Emma Frost rampages across this roster with the exception of Doom, Ultron, and Mags who all have anti-telepathy measures/is a robot.

Mags is an interesting thought exercise. He would easily trump Default Ultron and Default Doom, who are the two heavy hitters, but would probably have trouble with Superwoman, and would have an all out war against Sinestro. But then again, he dosen't have a fight here where he would straight up lose.

Sinestro could theoretically beat everyone on this list, but Grodd, Emma and Enchantress would bend him over backwards, and he would have too many tough fights with Ultron, Mags, Doom, Superwoman, and possibly even Killer Frost.

Ultron is a pretty solid choice. But he Auto-loses to Mag's, get's beat the hell out of by Superwoman, and has a war against Doom.

Doom is also a great choice, but he auto-loses to Mags, would have trouble against Superwoman, and possibly even Killer Frost, get's into a war with Enchantress.

So, in a straight up fight, I would have to say Mag's is the favorite, with Emma being a Dark Horse since if this were broken up by gender, she would annihilate the female division and if things broke right and she got Sinestro, she would win the whole thing.

I'm not really sure why Doom would be an auto-lose to Magneto. If Iron Man is smart enough to have a non-magnetic suit, Doom certainly is. Same thing applies to Ultron.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

I'm not really sure why Doom would be an auto-lose to Magneto. If Iron Man is smart enough to have a non-magnetic suit, Doom certainly is. Same thing applies to Ultron.

I'm just referring specifically to Default Doom and Default Ultron.

Which you kind of have to use if you're talking about fights involving those two characters, since they specifically have contingency plans for specific people and situations.

If you don't, you end up falling into "preperation" hole arguments and you just end up spouting off counters of counters of counters.

• Options
    Fair enough.

• Options
    If you need another villainess/antihero, there's always Moonstone.

But how can anyone defeat such perfection *swoon*......

*fingers crossed for Krypto to show up*

• Options
    I didn't put Krypto in because I want this to be an actual competition

• Options
    that reads like it could go either way so I'll take it as win!

• Options

But who cares who is wearing metal , when Doom vs Magneto is going to be a Poetry Slam

• Options
    Can we get super crazy with the events, I mean telepaths exist in this universe.

How about the 100 meter dash, but your brain gets reversed, left is right right is left, up is down, etc

• Options
    Hints for today's 16 contestants:
    • These contestants are from the DC "Region"
    • Seven competitors made an appearance in the first hero tournament
    • Two characters share a superhero name with competitors from the first superhero tournament
    • The first five letters of two entrants are the same. The first five letters of two other entrants are the same.
    • There are two girls, two women, and three "mans"
    • Three characters have birds in their names
    • No characters have "planes" in their name

Brief programming note: actual roster reveals might go up a little later than noon central today. I'll try and keep everyone posted

5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

But who cares who is wearing metal , when Doom vs Magneto is going to be a Poetry Slam
    It's actually a heavy metal band competition.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hints for today's 16 contestants:
    • These contestants are from the DC "Region"
    • Seven competitors made an appearance in the first hero tournament
    • Two characters share a superhero name with competitors from the first superhero tournament
    • The first five letters of two entrants are the same. The first five letters of two other entrants are the same.
    • There are two girls, two women, and three "mans"
    • Three characters have birds in their names
    • No characters have "planes" in their name

Brief programming note: actual roster reveals might go up a little later than noon central today. I'll try and keep everyone posted

The shared 5 letters are Super and Green. Superman, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Green Arrow.
    The birds... Black Canary, Robin (Damian Wayne), and Hawkman?
    Batgirl, Wonder Woman
    Gonna guess Martian Manhunter for the last "man", and Batwoman for the last "woman". Catwoman will be saved for the Villain's bracket as female villains are harder to come by. Catwoman is more interesting than Batwoman, especially with Batman and Batgirl already included.

As for sharing a superhero name with competitors from the first tournament, I wasn't around for that and can't be bothered to look it up

edit: oh, the villain list above was Marvel/DC combined, right. Catwoman it is then.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    BLACK CANARY
    DKmcgr6.jpg

Created by: Robert Kanigher and Carmine Infantino
    Art by: Cliff Chiang

CATWOMAN
    hBgTdZR.jpg

Created by: Bob Kane and Bill Finger
    Art by: Terry and Rachel Dodson

HAWKGIRL
    wh2dslI.jpg

Created by: Gardner Fox, Dennis Neville and Sheldon Moldoff
    Art by: John Cassaday

RAVEN
    QdHFMRm.jpg

Created by: Marv Wolfman and Greg Perez
    Art by: Julian Lopez

SUPERGIRL
    GRpC22C.jpg

Created by: Otto Binder, Al Plastino and Curt Swan
    Art by: Mahmoud Asrar

VIXEN
    Bp9SVGm.jpg

Created by: Gerry Conway and Bob Oksner
    Art by: JG Jones

WONDER WOMAN
    HseETZY.jpg

Created by: William Moulton Marston
    Art by: Cliff Chiang

ZATANNA
    gQLdr0W.jpg

Created by: Gardner Fox and Murphy Anderson
    Art by: Joseph A. Quinones Jr.

Son of Beyonder on
    5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • Options
    AQUAMAN
    qqs7So8.jpg

Created by: Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris
    Art by: Paul Pelletier, Sean Parsons and Rod Reis

BATMAN
    bMIYV2d.jpg

Created by: Bill Finger and Bob Kane
    Art by: Neal Adams

CYBORG
    fuocQqt.jpg

Created by: Marv Wolfman and George Perez
    Art by: Ivan Reis and Joe Prado

GREEN ARROW
    m9CwykT.jpg

Created by: Mort Weisinger and George Papp
    Art by: Mauro Cascioli

GREEN LANTERN
    cEuEIF8.jpg

Created by: Dennis O'Neil and Neil Adams
    Art by: Jim Lee

MARTIAN MANHUNTER
    8yktzwC.jpg

Created by: Joseph Samachson and Joe Certa
    Art by: Tom Mandrake

SUPERMAN
    oGI8O3O.jpg

Created by: Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster
    Art by: Gary Frank

THE FLASH
    ckkl1Y5.jpg

Created by: Robert Canigher and Carmine Infantino
    Art by: Francis Manapaul and Brian Buccallato

5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • Options
    Whoever fights the Flash, the competition should be "Who can sit still the longest"

• Options
    I just looked up the stipulation on the Flash's match and started laughing, so look forward to that

• Options
    I just looked up the stipulation on the Flash's match and started laughing, so look forward to that

Does he have to run a three legged race with Turtle Man?