As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, April 17, 2015 - Exchange Rate

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That's about right for how they used to be too.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    A Penny Arcade about Arcades.

Yay!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That's a pretty haunted look in your eyes there, Tycho.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Tycho is, like the Parachute Man, broken.

I love the 2nd panel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Baubles really are in short supply nowadays.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    When Gabe says "Smarties", is he talking about Smarties or "Smarties"?

• Options
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    When Gabe says "Smarties", is he talking about Smarties or "Smarties"?

smarties.jpg

• Options
    firepoetfirepoet Registered User regular
    I'm not that young, I was born in 1986, but I don't think I've ever been in an actual arcade ever now that I think about it.

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I always joke about the Dave and Busters tickets I've accumulated over the past 10+ years. Pretty soon I'll finally be able to afford a regular Nintendo DS game.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    One time at Noah's Ark in Wisconsin Dells we actually managed to jackpot one of the arcade games. It was the one where you roll a coin into a dump truck and if you hit a tiny little stick the truck dumps all the coins and you get tickets for all of them. The truck was... rather full.

Mom and dad ended up commandeering some of the tickets to get a toaster from the Top Shelf Of Halfway Decent Stuff.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ombranoxombranox Registered User new member
    Jeez, dude. I could get those with two rounds of skee ball. And I suck at skee ball.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Man, my father must've cried whenever I went near an Arcade. I could've bought at least a Final Fight board by the time I was 12.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Something about the look on Tycho's face in that last panel, combined with the fact I have been BOTH parties in that interaction made this a comic of special amusement for me :p

• Options
    gbrooksgbrooks Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    A Penny Arcade about Arcades.

A Penny Arcade about Arcades, featuring the alter-ego of an owner of Penny Arcade, who owns a home Arcade.

I heard you like arcades...here's an arcade in your arcade

• Options
    gbrooksgbrooks Registered User regular
    By deeds, does Tycho mean actions that have been taken and then preserved beneath the glass cabinet for children to purchase and somehow experience, or legal documents that confer ownership of real estate?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Documents.

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    One day I managed to get a jackpot on 2 separate "hit a button to make a ball drop into the holes" games at nickelcade. I made out like a bandit that night... I got one of those things where you pull the ripcord to make a copter fly (which we promptly broke in the parking lot), a small pillow in the form of Spider-mans face, a nickelcade hat with a metal pacman logo, and 5 styrophoam planes (which we promptly broke in the parking lot {'dogfighting' them with each other})

Other than that it was usually just the styrophoam airplanes for, like, 100 a piece and some candy.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    My wife and I are really good at the "Harpoon Lagoon" game. We figured out that it cost us $75-$80 in real money to acquire enough tickets to buy a $50 Wii U game.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I remember those army man figures being one ticket each, and getting a huge bucket of them.

• Options
    snahglesnahgle Registered User new member
    Huh. I wonder which two episodes of Dollhouse Jerry considers to be "watchable"?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Does the U.S. have arcades where you can win actual money?

They're a staple of the British seaside town. My dad grew up on the coast and learnt all kinds of tricks at his local arcade, like which "roulette" machine had a sticky part on the wheel, and how to tell where the slot machines were in their sequence from the clicks the wheels made.

I myself once made out like a bandit on an automatic horse racing machine, then years later a girlfriend and I won big on a game where you try to roll coins into various holes on a rotating disc, and bought a Family Guy DVD box set with 160 10p pieces.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    In a lot of places in the US that would be considered gambling, so I feel like they're not that common. The closest I can think of is those little bar top video games which usually feature "spot the difference" and matching games. but there you typically just win more credits, if anything at all.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    What's the background story here? Where are they going, why does Groab have a ninja turtle pillow?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

They're a staple of the British seaside town. My dad grew up on the coast and learnt all kinds of tricks at his local arcade, like which "roulette" machine had a sticky part on the wheel, and how to tell where the slot machines were in their sequence from the clicks the wheels made.

I myself once made out like a bandit on an automatic horse racing machine, then years later a girlfriend and I won big on a game where you try to roll coins into various holes on a rotating disc, and bought a Family Guy DVD box set with 160 10p pieces.

Nah. Only tickets/points that you can exchange for items. If you got money it'd be considered gambling.

• Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    What's the background story here? Where are they going, why does Groab have a ninja turtle pillow?

Why WOULDN'T he have a Ninja turtle pillow?

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    L_MariachiL_Mariachi Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Since when are noses a different color than the faces they're attached to? What is going on with these noses?! Are all the characters drunks and/or syphilitics? This has been bothering me for a while now.

L_Mariachi on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    L_Mariachi wrote: »
    Since when are noses a different color than the faces they're attached to? What is going on with these noses?! Are all the characters drunks and/or syphilitics? This has been bothering me for a while now.

It's just a part of Mike's art evolution. I'm not particularly a fan of it either, but this is not a battle you're going to win. Just let it go.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    It's an STI he caught from the Trenches and gave to PA.

• Options
    lawragatajarlawragatajar Registered User regular
    Either my goals were low, or I had some decent redemption rates, because most of the time I could get at least a small plush toy.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh man, those Parachute Men. I remember them.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Nah. Only tickets/points that you can exchange for items. If you got money it'd be considered gambling.

And, purely by coincidence, nearby places willing to buy such items?

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    I remember the arcade on the boardwalk in Daytona Beach.

That place held a special place in my heart. No clue if it's still there. Probably isn't. I remember playing Mortal Kombat for hours and hours and hours with my older brother.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Nope, because most of them were cheap crap of interest/value only to a kid. Stuff that would be eaten, broken, lost, or exhaust its entertainment value within a day.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Nope, because most of them were cheap crap of interest/value only to a kid. Stuff that would be eaten, broken, lost, or exhaust its entertainment value within a day.

I think he was making a joking reference to pachinko parlors in Japan, and how there is one prize you can redeem your pachinko balls for that another, totally unrelated, we totally swear guys, business down the road will buy off of you for a fixed value, as a work around for the fact that gambling is illegal in Japan.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I was lucky as a kid. Back around '84 a small arcade opened near us called Games People Play. It had about twenty cabinets. Then we had a few Aladdin's Castles-I still miss them. Always loved the funky credits you'd get in exchange for quarters. Finally there was DG's arcade.

This place was located in an old used car lot and was one of the dingiest Mos-Eisley-Cantina-wanna-be's I've ever been into. You had college kids and teens mixing, alcohol being sold to whoever and coke deals in the restroom. It was the only place I'd ever been where you could play N.A.R.C. and find real Narcs.

There was also the Rocky Point amusement park arcade which was my all time favorite because it was the 80's and they constantly played glam metal and hard rock. I'm glad I grew up with arcades. At the same time I'm a little jealous of kids who get to grow up with stuff like online multiplayer arcade games and games like Minecraft.

Then again I was a messed up kid back then and probably would have gotten into a lot more trouble than I did if I'd had access to the internet.

ziddersroofurry on
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I was lucky as a kid. Back around '84 a small arcade opened near us called Games People Play. It had about twenty cabinets. Then we had a few Aladdin's Castles-I still miss them. Always loved the funky credits you'd get in exchange for quarters. Finally there was DG's arcade.

This place was located in an old used car lot and was one of the dingiest Mos-Eisley-Cantina-wanna-be's I've ever been into. You had college kids and teens mixing, alcohol being sold to whoever and coke deals in the restroom. It was the only place I'd ever been where you could play N.A.R.C. and find real Narcs.

There was also the Rocky Point amusement park arcade which was my all time favorite because it was the 80's and they constantly played glam metal and hard rock. I'm glad I grew up with arcades. At the same time I'm a little jealous of kids who get to grow up with stuff like online multiplayer arcade games and games like Minecraft.

Then again I was a messed up kid back then and probably would have gotten into a lot more trouble than I did if I'd had access to the internet.

That's a very true, but hilarious line of thought: "My arcades were dark and seedy with booze and drugs and hard rock. But boy am I lucky I didn't have the internet, or I'd be real screwed up."

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular

That's a very true, but hilarious line of thought: "My arcades were dark and seedy with booze and drugs and hard rock. But boy am I lucky I didn't have the internet, or I'd be real screwed up."

XD
    I love it.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular

Wait. Are you telling me US arcades don't have waterfall/coin pusher machines in?

Now I really pity you... Pretty much every UK arcade has them, available for people of any age, with real money in.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »

Wait. Are you telling me US arcades don't have waterfall/coin pusher machines in?

Now I really pity you... Pretty much every UK arcade has them, available for people of any age, with real money in.

They do, but only with arcade tokens.

• Options
    pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    For me it was always jumping frogs, those slide together foam planes, Tootsie Rolls, DoubleBubble gum, and if I had a LOT of tickets then I would get the light-up yo-yo that automatically returned. Occasionally, a Chinese finger trap or a super bouncing ball.