As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Movies]: Four . . .

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    reVerse wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So talking with the nerd family today who have also watched the trailer about 5 times.

Listen to the initial statements...

"The force is strong in my family."

"My father has it."

"I have it."

"My sister has it."

"And you have it."

That first part is very interesting if that is Luke. Notice it isn't past tense.

It's the same phrasing as it was in Return of the Jedi.
    Yeah, but it's out of order, which is throwing people off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYX_PgorRY

"You have that power too." is last in the TFA trailer #2, but it's before the "My father has it" part in RotJ. The ordering implies that Luke is speaking with someone other than his sister who has the Force, even if it's using the audio from Jedi.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    So talking with the nerd family today who have also watched the trailer about 5 times.

"My father has it."

"I have it."

"My sister has it."

"And you have it."

That first part is very interesting if that is Luke. Notice it isn't past tense.

It's the same phrasing as it was in Return of the Jedi.
    Yeah, but it's out of order, which is throwing people off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYX_PgorRY

"You have that power too." is last in the TFA trailer #2, but it's before the "My father has it" part in RotJ. The ordering implies that Luke is speaking with someone other than his sister who has the Force, even if it's using the audio from Jedi.

That's definitely Hamill's voice. And while the dialogue goes a long way to hide exactly who he's talking to, the logic follows that he's talking to someone in his family - probably his kid or Leia's.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh wait. Maybe it is Luke giving a matriculation speech at....the new Jedi academy!

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Oh wait. Maybe it is Luke giving a matriculation speech at....the new Jedi academy!
    And then all the amazing scenes with "Younglings" and their babby sabers... pointing them at their faces within the new Jedi temple.

The circle is now complete...

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Of course, just lets not go in expecting something amazeballs, I'll be more than happy with something that keeps a good tone and doesn't go up its own ass.
    Lets just pray he can keep cute callbacks and references to a minimum.

Dumb shit like "I got a bad feeling about this.." or some variation on that (like good instead) for instance.

I just want a fun new Star Wars adventure that moves the series forward, not for it to be overstuffed with nostalgia pandering.

This was said in all three of the original movies. It was kind of the groups thing to say when shit was about to get real. I am very sad you consider it dumb.

Someone always has delusions of grandeur as well

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    fruit-of-the-loom-cotton-t-0E1F3F.jpg

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Thief!

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    fruit-of-the-loom-cotton-t-0E1F3F.jpg

Where do I send my money?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Thief!
    There's a [blank] shot first joke in here somewhere.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    More noise pointing toward Sphero technology being behind BB-8: Disney's research arm invested in the company in 2013.

From my post in the Trailers thread:
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »

I'm just amazed that this works for real. I have no idea how it works and I don't think I've ever seen anything similar before despite all the scientists/engineers working on robots and trying to make them as mobile as possible.

Current running guess among the online robotics hobbyists is it's a gigantic, fancy Sphero:

DSCN4831-580x435.jpg

They may be using omnidirectional wheels for "strafing", and then the head is built around a magnet that matches up to the internal central post, both of which are set up with rollers. That post then has at least one motor on it to point the head in certain directions rotationally, and may have a linkage to allow it to look down/up/to the sides, plus keep the head in a fixed position as the whole thing moves.

Though as an addendum I haven't seen BB-8 "strafe" yet, so it could very well be a very basic two-wheeled drive on the inside.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Please don't let Hayden Christensen play force ghost dad, Please don't let Hayden Christensen play force ghost dad, Please don't let Hayden Christensen play force ghost dad, Please don't let Hayden Christensen play force ghost dad,

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Please don't let Hayden Christensen play force ghost dad, Please don't let Hayden Christensen play force ghost dad, Please don't let Hayden Christensen play force ghost dad, Please don't let Hayden Christensen play force ghost dad,

"Being a Force ghost is hard. It's cold, lonely, and the ectoplasm gets into everything *awkward creeper petting*"

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    https://tattuinardoelasaga.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/star-wars-as-an-icelandic-saga-the-entire-saga-in-english-in-one-blog-post/

so someone wrote a thing

Chapter 17: Concerning Hólmgöngu-Hani

It is the beginning of this saga, that King Jabbi the Stout ruled over Denmark, and King Falfaðinn Lightning-Bolt over Norway, and there was great enmity between them.

Hani was the name of a man from a Norwegian family; he was the son of Jarl Sóló. He was a good man and a great viking; most called him Hólmgöngu-Hani (Duel-Hani). It is fitting to say something about the appearance of Hani. He was a man of few words, rather reserved, but the handsomest of men, tall and rather sun-browned, with brownish hair.

Because Hólmgöngu-Hani did not like the reign of King Falfaðinn, he went to Denmark and was with King Jabbi for a while; in the summer he went out on viking raids, and he oft did great damage to the lands and ships of King Falfaðinn; he raided widely here and there, wherever he came to land in Norway. And in the winter he gave to King Jabbi the wares that he got in Norway. King Jabbi liked this tribute very well, and he gave Hani a great axe, and this axe was jagged-pointed and gilded, with a shaft done in silver, and it was the greatest of treasures. Hani had another great treasure, and that was his ship, which he had gotten when he won a swimming race against Landó Kalrissiansson at Kessel Island. This ship was called the Thousand Year Falcon; it was the fastest of ships.

EDIT: Also the introduction to said saga, which is more easily digestible: https://tattuinardoelasaga.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/tattuinardoela-saga-if-star-wars-were-an-icelandic-saga/

Tattúínárdœla saga tells of the youth of Anakinn himingangari, beginning with his childhood as a slave in Tattúínárdalr, notably lacking the prolonged racing scene of the MHG version, and referring to the character of “Jarjari inn heimski” only as a local fool slain by Anakinn in a childhood berserker rage (whereas in the MHG version, “Jarjare” is one of “Anacen’s” marshals and his constant companion; Cochrane 2010 suggests that this may be because the MHG text is Frankish in origin, and “Jarjare” was identified with a Frankish culture hero with a similar name). After this killing, for which Anakinn’s owner (and implied father) refuses to pay compensation, Anakinn’s mother, an enslaved Irish princess, foresees a great future for Anakinn as a “jeði” (the exact provenance of this word is unknown but perhaps represents an intentionally humorous Irish mispronunciation of “goði”).

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Of course, just lets not go in expecting something amazeballs, I'll be more than happy with something that keeps a good tone and doesn't go up its own ass.

Dumb shit like "I got a bad feeling about this.." or some variation on that (like good instead) for instance.

I just want a fun new Star Wars adventure that moves the series forward, not for it to be overstuffed with nostalgia pandering.

This was said in all three of the original movies. It was kind of the groups thing to say when shit was about to get real. I am very sad you consider it dumb.
    You misunderstand.

I don't think it was dumb, I meant it would be dumb in the context of Episode VII rehashing a lot of classic lines for a cheap pop. I don't want to see that. I want to see them come up with their own.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

You misunderstand.

I don't think it was dumb, I meant it would be dumb in the context of Episode VII rehashing a lot of classic lines for a cheap pop. I don't want to see that. I want to see them come up with their own.

That's what sequels are for, and probably the movie itself. They're rebuilding the brand, once they're confident they'll be less reliant on the OT.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    "I've got a bad feeling about this" Is kind of the catch phrase of Star Wars.
    It's referenced in just about anything Star wars, games and tv shows alike.

Honestly at this point it wouldn't feel like Star wars if they DIDN'T use it.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Chapter 29: Concerning the Arrival of the Falcon at the Death-Star

Two days later Víga-Óbívan and the rest saw black smoke, and they could smell it too. The smoke was so great and so dark that they could not see the land from which the smoke was coming.

“Where are we?” asked Lúkr, “And where is that smoke coming from?”

“I don’t know,” said Hani, “But I calculate that the nearest land is the realm of the King of Aldiran.”

They saw a fishing boat, and on the boat were two large and strong men. Thrípíó asked them in Irish for news, but the men did not understand him. Then he asked them, in Norse, where they were from.

“From Norway,” said one, and grinned. But then these men were silent, and the Falcon sailed on.

“That was nothing more than a little fishing boat,” said Víga-Óbívan, “They could not have sailed all the way from Norway on their own.”

“But why would there be a little Norwegian fishing boat so close to Ireland?” asked Hani. He watched the boat and then said, “They are sailing now toward that small island.”

“That’s no island,” said Víga-Óbívan, “That’s a warship.”

“That is too big to be a warship,” said Hani.

“I have a bad feeling about this,” said Lúkr.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder how they're going to set Jakku apart from Tatooine other than the cool ship graveyard stuff.

I suppose not having any of those dirty sand people and jawas stealing hard working human jobs will help.

...shit. I mean, I meant to say I'm going to miss those guys.

(All hail the Empire)

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    This trailer is awesome. AWESOME.

GIVE ME NEW STAR WARS ALREADY

• Options
    If Rey turns out to be the new jedi and that staff she's carrying is a precursor to her one day getting ahold of a double bladed saber...oh man.

I'm going to be nerd crushing on her forever.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    If Rey turns out to be the new jedi and that staff she's carrying is a precursor to her one day getting ahold of a double bladed saber...oh man.

I'm already there. :) Her scenes, and John Boyega's, intrigue me the most in the trailers.

Chrome Trooper's identity revealed.

chome-stormtrooper.jpg
    http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/game-of-thrones-star-wars-chrome-stormtrooper.html
    We've been hearing for months that this big, bad stormtrooper is played by none other than Gwendoline Christie, the formidable, six-foot-three actress best known as Brienne of Tarth on Game of Thrones. John Boyega confirmed at Star Wars Celebration this morning that his lead character also has stormtrooper ties, so what do you want to bet that he and Christie's chrome dome come into conflict at some point?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    So that's how you make Stormtroopers scary/intimidating.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

I'm already there. :) Her scenes, and John Boyega's, intrigue me the most in the trailers.

Chrome Trooper's identity revealed.

chome-stormtrooper.jpg
    http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/game-of-thrones-star-wars-chrome-stormtrooper.html
    We've been hearing for months that this big, bad stormtrooper is played by none other than Gwendoline Christie, the formidable, six-foot-three actress best known as Brienne of Tarth on Game of Thrones. John Boyega confirmed at Star Wars Celebration this morning that his lead character also has stormtrooper ties, so what do you want to bet that he and Christie's chrome dome come into conflict at some point?

All they said regarding the Chrome Trooper's performer is that "they've been hearing it for months."
    What was actually confirmed is that the lead character has Stormtrooper ties.
    It's really bad writing with a clickbait headline that has nothing to do with what was actually said. Is that person probably playing the Chrome Trooper? Yeah, probably. But until it's on IMDB or Variety I'm not gonna believe any article about it. Especially not one written that badly.

Might as well be posting some shit from Latino Review.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    the chrome trooper is really evil lando. you can tell from the cape

you heard it here first

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The mouth slits on the new Storm Trooper helmets instantly reminded me of Lando's co-pilot, Nien Nunb.
    NienNunbHS-SWE.jpg

• Options
    Greg Rucka is writing Shattered Empire for Marvel, a prequel comic for The Force Awakens.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/24463/marvels_shattered_empire_by_greg_rucka_marco_checchetto
    The Empire has fallen. It is now a time for resurgence. It is a time for new beginnings. This September, Marvel Comics and Lucasfilm are excited to present the newest chapter of the Star Wars mythos with STAR WARS: JOURNEY TO THE FORCE AWAKENS - THE SHATTERED EMPIRE, written by comic book legend Greg Rucka with art by Marco Checchetto.

Created in close partnership with Lucasfilm, this new Marvel Comics limited series will exist as part of the canon for the Star Wars universe and will offer a glimpse into December’s "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"!

“The world has been wondering what happened after the fall of the Empire since the credits first rolled on ‘Return of the Jedi’ in 1983,” says series editor Jordan D. White. “Now, on the dawn of the next chapter of the saga, we’re incredibly proud to be involved in revealing the events that happen immediately following the end of ‘Return of the Jedi’!”

Once again, Marvel brings the biggest creators in the industry to the biggest characters in a galaxy far, far away. Be there when the Star Wars line expands this September in STAR WARS: JOURNEY TO THE FORCE AWAKENS - THE SHATTERED EMPIRE #1!

STAR WARS: JOURNEY TO THE FORCE AWAKENS - THE SHATTERED EMPIRE #1
    Written by GREG RUCKA
    Art & Cover by MARCO CHECHETTO
    On Sale in September!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Well, she's not too short for a Storm Trooper.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Everyone knows that the invasion of the Ssri-Ruuk at Bakura happened immediately after Return of the Jedi

I won't stand for this revisionist history

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Well first, grand admiral Thrawn began rebuilding the empire by installing a sense of pride in his underlings as opposed to simply killing the screw ups

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

"My father has it."

"I have it."

"My sister has it."

"And you have it."

Anakin Skywalker still exists as a force ghost so it isn't inaccurate phrasing on Luke's part.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    What's this? A demand for MORE Star Wars trailers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELx1y8cr1M

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Well first, grand admiral Thrawn began rebuilding the empire by installing a sense of pride in his underlings as opposed to simply killing the screw ups

I'd give good odds of Thrawn being slided back into continuity. He's the best thing to come out of the Extended Universe, and the unexpected success of the trilogy of books that introduced him is credited for putting a burr in Lucas to do the prequels. He's a prime candidate for being cherry picked into something new.

• Options
    Rogue One sounds interesting.

Gareth Edwards, worried after Monsters and Godzilla though. He does good work with goliaths and action scenes (when he actually decides to show them) but his human characters are pretty boring. I know everybody loves Monsters but I was kind of meh on it.

Going to keep my expectations in check for now. Hopefully the Star Wars cinematic universe takes off.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

I would've preferred if Rogue One took place around the time of Episode 7, or at least at some point between 6 and 7.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    That sounds pretty uninteresting especially compared to Episode 7.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, I was really hoping it wouldn't be a prequel.

Well, atleast not one that takes place before the end of ROTJ.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Looks like some of the comments are pointing to it also being a bit in line with period war films.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Looks like some of the comments are pointing to it also being a bit in line with period war films.
    Looking forward to seeing how this one ends up looking, they're probably going to get a lot more freedom with the tone than would be expected compared to the mainline films. I'm trying to imagine what a gritty heart of darkness war story would be like in Star Wars.

"Oh god! the AT tore off my damn legs! Take me out!"

"No, I.."

"Thats an order, nerf herder! TAKE THE SHOT!"

*zap*

Dr. Chaos on