As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy] VII 100% legitimate and happening remake. Yes, really.

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited June 2015 in Games and Technology
This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's flagship series, Final Fantasy, originally released in 1987. For a while they decided they didn't like releasing new games, and kept porting old games to new platforms, but things are looking up. But before we get to that,

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

MAIN SERIES

They've made FOURTEEN main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I love Final Fantasy because you have to start somewhere.
I love Final Fantasy II because I like hitting myself for stat ups.
I love Final Fantasy III because it allowed me to stop being a hippy and get a job for the first time.
I love Final Fantasy IV because I don't have enough versions of it yet.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for charity.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I love Final Fantasy VII because it's getting remade, naturally.
I love Final Fantasy VIII because I'm a Triple Triad cardshark. There was a fun minigame about saving the world included too.
I love Final Fantasy IX because it's a nostalgia trip.
I love Final Fantasy X because the HD version is out.
I love Final Fantasy XI because it keeps Square Enix in business.
I love Final Fantasy XII because I'm Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmascaa.
I love Final Fantasy XIII because I can't get enough Lightning.
I love Final Fantasy XIV because YoshiP cares.

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics because I love grid based movement.
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I hate Final Fantasy Mystic Quest because it's too easy and I don't like having fun.
I love Final Fantasy X-2 because it really is the ultimate expression of both ATB and the Job system. Also I understand math so Sphere Breaker ain't shit.
I love Dissidia because it's included in its entirety in its sequel.
I love FF XIII-2 because monsters are great at parties.
I love Crisis Core because I need to get practice for Type-0 in.
I love Theatrhythm because Square Enix has the best music.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because just one more turn.
I love Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because you can settle which Final Fantasy is best for all time with your fists.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 because more of the same is exactly what you need when the same is fantastic.
I love Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns because it was either this or no new games at all.
I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.
I love Final Fantasy Record Keepers because I can play it in quick enjoyable bursts and then put it down. (Just in case)

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

There's a version of almost everything for almost everything these days. However, avoid the PSX version of FF5 unless it's your only option.

THE PRESENT

Square Enix has managed to get their shit together long enough that they've started releasing new content

FF Type-0: Was Final Fantasy 13 Agito, changed to Final Fantasy Type-0, and came out on the PSP in Japan only. Fans clamored for this one for a long time, and finally the West is getting a localization... as an HD version for consoles.



Update: They also fixed the nausea inducing camera blur, so if that was holding you back, give it another shot!

It came out, and it's pretty sweet. I highly recommend picking it up. It's an Action-RPG with a new and interesting story (and direction) for the Final Fantasy series. Also, day 1 copies of the game come with a demo for...

FF 13 Versus: Wait, no, some things happened, and



It's now FF XV. It still doesn't exist, but we got a playble trailer, and by metrics it kicks ass. It's reinvigorated interest in this game, which is impressive since it was announced at the end of the Ps2 life cycle. So it MAY actually come out at this point. Look for more info at E3, hopefully.

Update: The FF XV demo was patched with additional content, so if you've played it, give it another go!



Final Fantasy Record Keeper:



Is actually a pretty fun moblie free-to-play game for iOS and Android. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a HUGE improvement over such duds as All The Bravest. It's a walk down memory lane with a simple ATB style combat system with a surprising amount of depth and strategy. It IS free to try, so give it a shot if you have some time to spare. Just don't give them any of your money.

Strategy site for FFRK
FFRK subreddit (tons of good info)

Update: They recently added a friend summon system. PM me your code if you want to be added to the OP list

THE FUTURE



There is a new Dissidia coming out. It will be available in Japan in arcades for about a year, and then they're planning on porting it to console to tap other markets (such as the West). Expect it maybe in 2017.



THEY ARE REMAKING FINAL FANTASY VII. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT EITHER BUT IT'S HAPPENING. It is now okay to be excited.

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is vaguely related to Final Fantasy, but has its own thread here.

BRAVELY DEFAULT

Is everything you might want in a Final Fantasy, and you can talk about it here.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA
Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

Credit to @xenogears of bore for cannibalizing most of his OPs.

V wrote:
Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

silence1186 on
«13456799

Posts

  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth kick @chocobolicious

  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative A steak!. @chocobolicious banned from this thread.

  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ok mildly related to FF (since it started as a gaiden) but huh? When did Square announce a new Mana game?



    Too many announcements! What's going on?

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Qanamil
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    It's crazy. Square actually has quite a number of games coming out.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's crazy. Square actually has quite a number of games coming out.

    They're getting there, but they still have a ways to go.

    Also, the next time someone asks "Why do people still want an FFVII Remake?", just show them this: http://giant.gfycat.com/EmotionalWiltedBarebirdbat.gif

    Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Ok mildly related to FF (since it started as a gaiden) but huh? When did Square announce a new Mana game?



    Too many announcements! What's going on?

    Huh, that looks kinda cool.

    I wonder when/if we can expect a localization.

    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's not a new game. It's a free to play smartphone game getting ported to the Vita.

    vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // Riot: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 // Genshin Impact: 600592891 //
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    And here I thought I was being cynical thinking it looked like a mobile game.

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Now that's an interesting phrase that I immediately managed to overthink. What does "looks like a smartphone" game mean, in the absence of visible smartphone controls? There's a lot of potential art styles or graphics levels that such devices can put out these days, so I'm not sure if any one look really fits.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Now that's an interesting phrase that I immediately managed to overthink. What does "looks like a smartphone" game mean, in the absence of visible smartphone controls? There's a lot of potential art styles or graphics levels that such devices can put out these days, so I'm not sure if any one look really fits.

    High resolution sprites without including the greater level of detail that high resolution sprites need to not look silly?

    LD50NightslyrNocren
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Since I cannot read kanji, and thus the actual name of that game, I have dubbed it "Clockwork Dungeon Battle - Steampunk as Fuck".

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Since I cannot read kanji, and thus the actual name of that game, I have dubbed it "Clockwork Dungeon Battle - Steampunk as Fuck".

    聖剣伝説 is the Japanese name for the series. It translates into "legend of the sacred sword." The rest of the title as follows:

    聖剣伝説:Rise of Mana遂にPlaystation Vitaに登場! "At long last, Secret of Mana: Rise of Mana's Playstation Vita appearance!"

    人界に落ちた、天使と悪魔 "Into the realm of man, an angel and demon fell." (I think? the subject isn't marked)

    マナの樹のもとで新しい物語がはじまる "At the origin [alt: under] of the Tree of Mana, a new tale begins."

    天使と悪魔を転身して戦え "Swap between angel and demon during battle" (the grammar is different but I think this translation makes more sense)

    リアルタイムライドバトルに仲間とともに挑め "Real-time raid battle challenges with friends and companions" the fact that they used both companion and friend together makes me wonder if companion refers to an NPC character? I don't know the usage well enough... edit: this has been bothering me all day. I confused the gerund with the imperative. It should be "Challenge friends and companions to real-time raid battles."

    Playstation Vitaではじまる冒険 "An adventure that begins on Playstation Vita"

    At least, that's what I think it says.

    italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    lionheart_mShadowfireAndy JoeNightslyr
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The Hard Daily Dungeons really vary wildly in difficulty, though the biggest factor of whether I can clear them with Mastery or not at this point is the amount of Relic and Record Synergy available. Yesterday was a breeze (FF7), while today is a struggle (Tyro and other Core classes). You really need to be able to one shot the smaller enemies to have any chance of getting a Champion rating.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    ShadowfireTakel
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    KZsWRvH.png?2

    YL9WnCY.png
    DehumanizedGroveAndy JoeRenzoMagicalGoatsDemonStacey
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    ^ this is genius. I can't wait to see at what intervals he gets closer....

    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    italianranma
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Keep your rancor low so it doesn't attack you.

    That's a reference to this dungeon, by the way.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    @bobkins flymo We do not fear death in this thread.
    We're going to die horribly, aren't we?

    silence1186 on
    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Pfft. I'm a Scholar. He won't bring himself to hurt me when I've got a fairy out.

    And you can always trust fairies.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    XerinkEtiowsa
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Just ignore the adds.

    We got the dps for this.

    Alistair wrote: »
    I use Dog as a cover for when I put dead animals in Morrigan's underthings
    GroveQanamilPrjctD_Captain
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Pfft. I'm a Scholar. He won't bring himself to hurt me when I've got a fairy out.

    And you can always trust fairies.

    Tell that to the tonberrys in wanderer's palace HM.

  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    So I'm plugging away at FFXIII again. I've collected a bunch of monster and machine parts, and I think I'm ready to start upgrading some shit. I read through the gamefaqs that are specific to those mechanics, and while I'm sure that the system will be clear once I start experimenting, I don't really want to waste my resources on some sub-par choices. I'm at chapter 9-3 right now, when does the game reach a point where farming for these mats becomes realistic? More importantly, what are the no-brainer choices to upgrade now? Also, is there anything that I shouldn't get to 3x bonus when upgrading?

    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Im gonna say chapter 13 onwards? It's been a long time but there's never a point you'll have gil to spare for upgrades.

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So I'm plugging away at FFXIII again. I've collected a bunch of monster and machine parts, and I think I'm ready to start upgrading some shit. I read through the gamefaqs that are specific to those mechanics, and while I'm sure that the system will be clear once I start experimenting, I don't really want to waste my resources on some sub-par choices. I'm at chapter 9-3 right now, when does the game reach a point where farming for these mats becomes realistic? More importantly, what are the no-brainer choices to upgrade now? Also, is there anything that I shouldn't get to 3x bonus when upgrading?

    Always get to a 3x bonus, and then drop as many of whatever tech component you need to upgrade as high as you want.

    You can get the 3x bonus in as many steps as you want, even one item at a time. All organic components will raise the multiplier, and you can mix and match if you don't have enough walrus assholes or whatever. The tech components are give lots of exp, but they tank the multiplier; it will only take a few to bring it back to 1x, which is why you have to do them all in one go.

    The first tier weapons need around 50k exp to level to max. The game will tell you how much exp you're adding, which helps.

    The first place where you can really start to upgrade is chapter 11. There is a hunt/mark/whatever that gives access to a store as it's reward. The store sells particle accelerators and... ultracompact reactors? They give something like 10k and 40k respectively, pre multiplier.

    Dehumanizeditalianranma
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Thanks for the help. Do I grind out the cash somehow or farm the mats themselves?

    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the help. Do I grind out the cash somehow or farm the mats themselves?

    Grinding out the cash is faster. The best way to do it early is just run around with your chocobo in chapter 11 (also unlocked with a hunt/mark/whatever) and collect gold nuggets and dust and dolls and stuff to sell. Late game there's better ways, but that's what worked best for me.

    Grinding out the components is stupid slow. Most of the 'high' exp ones are rare drops, and those don't even come close to the exp of particle accelerators or reactors.

    italianranma
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Now finally at the 23 hour mark I have unlocked the ability to change party members. I wish that the battle teams had names too;

    Snow, Hope, Vanille - aren't you too old to be reading shounen manga?

    Sazh, Fang, Vanille - I'm too old for this shit!

    Lightning, Hope, Snow - Animosity.

    Snow, Sazh, Hope - Anyone have a clue where we're going?

    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Grove
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Lightning, Fang, Hope is a pretty balanced party once Hope gets Haste.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    italianranma
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I did Fang, Sazh, Hope for easy buffing and debuffing.

  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    So...I've been playing FF4 once more thanks to RK. I almost quit though...stupid Sylph Cave. So far, this has to be the worse dungeon ever. Float every second, annoying encounters (Frog everything!) and a high high encounter rate. At least I was able to power through...now off to Eidolon land.

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    FFRK really has me itching to play through FF4, FF6, and FF7 again -- especially FF7, because I've only played it once, long ago. I'm not sure I can handle the graphics, though...early 3D has not aged well.

    Groveitalianranma
  • MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    FFRK really has me itching to play through FF4, FF6, and FF7 again -- especially FF7, because I've only played it once, long ago. I'm not sure I can handle the graphics, though...early 3D has not aged well.

    That is honestly what keeps from revisiting VII even though it is my third favourite installment of the series... I can always appreciate good pixel sprites, but those poly-models. :?

    Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    I love Final Fantasy Dimensions, because it is forgotten.

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    Blackjack
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Oh, I might add that

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Man I'm totally digging FF Record Keeper. Current goal is getting all named characters to 30 and grinding magicite from the current event.

    Somebody said it last thread but I'll repeat it:

    Whoever designed the magicite turn-in system is history's greatest monster

    Shadowfire
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Mackenzier wrote: »
    Billmaan wrote: »
    FFRK really has me itching to play through FF4, FF6, and FF7 again -- especially FF7, because I've only played it once, long ago. I'm not sure I can handle the graphics, though...early 3D has not aged well.

    That is honestly what keeps from revisiting VII even though it is my third favourite installment of the series... I can always appreciate good pixel sprites, but those poly-models. :?

    I played through it last summer on Steam. Dunno, the nostalgia kicked in, the graphics didn't bother me.

    lionheart_m
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It's curious that we haven't heard anything about FFVII on PS4 since that last troll teaser.

    I highly doubt they're backpedling to add more features and polish and/or reacting to the largely negative reception.

    But stranger things have happened. If they at least retranslated the script I would gladly buy it.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Man I'm totally digging FF Record Keeper. Current goal is getting all named characters to 30 and grinding magicite from the current event.

    Somebody said it last thread but I'll repeat it:

    Whoever designed the magicite turn-in system is history's greatest monster

    There isn't that much stamina available to grind everyone up right away. Maybe focus on a good FF7 team to farm the event?

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    No Snugglesworth, 58468136.jpg

    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Grove
This discussion has been closed.