As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Clyde Fans [chat]

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Will you're starting to sound like a stereotypical grumpy old man

Starting? :P
    Hakkekage wrote: »

starting to?

HakkeCzare

no

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I don't know what my job title should be for the patreon stuff

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

starting to?

HakkeCzare

I GOT HERE LATE

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Farms that actually teach people about farming generally involve things like

"There are four hundred sheep in this enclosure, we'll take the males one at a time, you grab them by the legs, I'll put this tiny elastic band around their testicles."

this one is decidedly of the "put some seeds in the ground and watch plants come up" school of farming

it's training kids from the projects to be farmers in 2000 BC. life skills!
    Well, at least they'll be teaching the next generation to avoid the catastrophic Dust Bowl from Idiocracy. So there's that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    if you're not going to inherit a farm then isn't it kind of wasted to learn farming

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    It is almost as if each generation thinks the cultural environment they grew up in and the adults they became outweight the value of a newer generation. If only there was precedent for this somewhere in our history.

yeah but kids these days am i rite

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    also i should mention that the other millennial i hang out with is @y2jake215 and i don't find his millennial-ness off-putting at all.

he is totally a tinder-swiping dj tho

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Working at a teaching farm would be fun and probably very satisfying work

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    with their ox-drawn plows and their harnessing of fire

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    if you're not going to inherit a farm then isn't it kind of wasted to learn farming

you can grow your own veg and stuff i guess

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    u guys should get ur friends to be more like me

i got this shit on lockdown

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    It is almost as if each generation thinks the cultural environment they grew up in and the adults they became outweight the value of a newer generation. If only there was precedent for this somewhere in our history.

truly the worst things about the millennial generation is the ways in which they're a callback to the boomers

boomers = simply the worst of all time

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Working at a teaching farm would be fun and probably very satisfying work

-fun and satisfying
    -low skilled
    -well paid

you can only pick two at most.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I use a few podcast as background noise. They work for that.

The one that Elki linked for me is interesting. I enjoy learning about how the sausage is made. Especially like Civ games where I lose hundreds of hours.

I don't listen to a lot of podcast though. Just not my thing most of the time.

Also Will I am not sure where you find these millennials.

Because they sure as hell ain't the ones I run into all the time or know. I think you might have a Boston thing with all the hippy schools or something.

i don't know a lot of millennials. just this one friend i have who is a real "edgy" social-justice oriented girl from brooklyn (and of course never shuts up about bkln) with a liberal arts degree from a private college in "race studies" who works at a teaching farm. i think she's a good person and i like her but god damn if she doesn't set off every outraged old man circuit i have.

Will pretty much everyone born around or from '82 is Millennial. You are surrounded by them here.

This just sounds like annoying hippy.

Feels like millenials are just hitting late twenties now, like 80-86 is a lost generation or some shit. I thought I was too old to fit in as a millenial, but I think its more the fact that old people overuse the term in general to just mean 'teen/early 20's assholes'

Yeah, I sort of feel that way and I was born in '83. Not quite a millennial but not a Gen X'er either.

I always figured it was because I was the youngest of the generation so I latched on pretty heavily to my late gen x cousins.

I think there should probably be a break between cold war and post cold war kids.

I have stuff that folks who didn't have public school in the post cold war area didn't.

Nuke/tornado drills. Watching the Berlin Wall fall. The fall of the Soviet Union. The idea that the Communist were the bad guys. Remembering and learning as it happened the restructuring of Eastern Europe. The great shifts in computers from 1980's through the 90's.

I mean there are a lot of shared cultural memories that aren't really shared with others who were born say in 1990.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    the fuck is a teaching farm?

it's a farm that grows things but mostly is oriented towards teaching city + suburban kids, especially poor ones, about farming.

i find it amazing that this young lady doesn't have all the money she wants.
    I would think you'd be able to write your own check as an organic agricultural non academic instructor.

it was a shock to everyone when the bottom fell out of the race-studies-and-horticulture market. those greedy finance fat cats really stuck it to the rest of us.

why? because it's wreckable, alright!?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    is it generally frowned upon to set up a patreon that's just

give me money to do nothing

not is it frowned upon but will it get shut down?

I believe that 45% of millennials currently have exactly this IIRC

If I had a nickel for every time a Boomer said something like this about millennials

I could afford a house in the economy you fucking ruined

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

Empress

Maybe Empress of Cocks

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

starting to?

HakkeCzare

no

haters gonna hate

• Options

truly the worst things about the millennial generation is the ways in which they're a callback to the boomers

the fuck did we do to deserve this

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    My uncle was a tenant farmer for a long time.

He owns his own (much smaller) farm now he's retired, but you don't need to inherit a farm to learn to farm. Plenty of farmer's children have no interest in it and will lease the property and land to someone who does.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Farms that actually teach people about farming generally involve things like

"There are four hundred sheep in this enclosure, we'll take the males one at a time, you grab them by the legs, I'll put this tiny elastic band around their testicles."

this one is decidedly of the "put some seeds in the ground and watch plants come up" school of farming

it's training kids from the projects to be farmers in 2000 BC. life skills!
    Well, at least they'll be teaching the next generation to avoid the catastrophic Dust Bowl from Idiocracy. So there's that.

brawndo's got what plants crave

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Wordsmith.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

Empress

Maybe Empress of Farts

FTFY

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options

If I had a nickel for every time a Boomer said something like this about millennials

omg i am not a boomer

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Cat

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

omg i am not a boomer

you're the Yuppie brother from Generation X then

got it

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

will's old as shit but he's not boomer old

• Options
    I put the linens in the wash

and then I thought I'll go put on new linens hey where'd they go

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

omg i am not a boomer

uhh born in 1949 yes you are

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    jake is like the most millennial to ever millennial

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    EXTRA CREDIT: Name one similarity or difference between Marx and another philosopher that we have studied that was mentioned in the last class.

"Utilitarianism."

• Options
    edited April 2015
    and now I need a bedsheet shop

at 8 in the evening

I am not very clever

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Well I successfully did not do any work from when I got here to now.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

starting to?

HakkeCzare

I GOT HERE LATE

It's alright

We can all call Will a grumpy old man.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular

To be fair they are largely a product of boomer parents who taught them the world worked a way it decidedly no longer works. You are taught from a young age that if you work hard and put in the effort you will get a great job and buy a nice house, but in reality houses are lol expensive and employers are trying to pay bottom dollar for talent, so it is really attractive for the millennial generation to attempt to reject traditional professional aspirations.

Essentially, imo, the plight of millennials in a lot of ways is that a generation was handed a road map to a city that was nuked like 10 years ago.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    According to Wikipedia, it's me, I am millennial

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Well it sounds like it's more educating kids about plants and such. Which isn't a waste at all! Let kids learn about gardening, seasonality, how plants and animals grow, where their food comes from.

I mean if you want to do that line of argument we might as well go, "Well, they don't need music unless they're going to become professional musicians, and they don't need history unless they're going to be time travelers, and they don't need algebra unless they're going to be doing The Maths!"

Teaching schoolkids lots of different things is how kids start to figure out what they actually want to do with their lives, how they find out things they like, and how they become well-rounded adults with lots of different interests and knowledge bases, instead of just being ignorant peasant wage-slaves!

I mean as a cook I've actually had to explain to grown-ass adults that no, different plants only grow during certain times of the year and that's why we're not selling that dish you like so much right now.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

you can grow your own veg and stuff i guess

You don't need acres to grow your own food. The land would go to waste.

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    EXTRA CREDIT: Name one similarity or difference between Marx and another philosopher that we have studied that was mentioned in the last class.

"Utilitarianism."

kind of? :P

• Options

the fuck did we do to deserve this

millennial generation is sometimes called "echo boom". basically the parents of millennials were the core of the most boomerish era of baby boomers and some of the cultural traits have kind of come back in their kids. the key difference seems to be that the country was really oriented to cater to boomers, so things just worked out for them, and the world is basically oriented against the needs of millennials, so things are rough for you guys.

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.