As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Studios v. Wallets: Age of [Comics in the Movies, on TV, and Other Places]

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. question.
    in episode sixteen Coulson and British man are in a cabin in the woods. Coulson mentions the cabin was meant to withstand a hulk size threat? Is this the same cabin Bruce is in meditating at the end of Hulk? If so that's a crazy throwback to a seven year old movie.

joshgotro on
    does it?
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Well, they called it "the house that Banner built" so.... Yes.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    minor incident
    Missed that then.

does it?
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's no evidence that
    It's the same cabin; Especially since Coulson mentions that Cap spent time there after he was thawed out, and that was before post-Hulk Banner was friendly with SHIELD.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    They do at least twice refer to it as "Banner's cabin" (or some variation), though. And there is, uh, evidence he spent some time there.

She said, "You're pretty good with words, but words won't save your life."
    And they didn't.
    So he died.
    Shadowen
    My girlfriend has made it through all of Phase 1 movies since Sunday.

Her favorite moment so far was Captain America referencing his rain check dance with Agent Carter once it's revealed he's in the present.

Her favorite movie is Hulk. She doesn't like the Ruffalo replacement of the character and she hates Tony Stark more and more with each movie.

I don't even know how to explain how in the minority she is in these opinions.

does it?
    edited April 2015
    They do at least twice refer to it as "Banner's cabin" (or some variation), though. And there is, uh, evidence he spent some time there.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's the same cabin as Incredible Hulk.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited April 2015

There is a Hulk size fist in one reinforced wall.

joshgotro on
    does it?
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

Oddly enough that is the same size as a Hawkeye head thru the wall hole!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

I'm not saying Banner wasn't there, I'm saying it's not the same cabin. The timeline doesn't line up for what we've been told about the AoS cabin. Like, we know

-Banner stayed in a cabin at the end of TIH, a couple years before Avengers
    -Rogers stayed at a cabin during his adjustment period, prior to the Avengers
    -At some point, Banner reinforced the cabin Steve Rogers stayed in, and as the hulk, dented the wall.

So while you can line up nouns in those sentences, the timeline doesn't really make since, given Banner was still on the run and didn't seem to have any indication of working with SHIELD during his fugitive status between his accident and the Avengers. And it's not like Banner would have the resources to Hulk-proof a cabin while he was a fugitive.

So unless SHIELD just rolled up on Banner's cabin in-between TIH and Avengers and decided to drop off Rogers there, I don't think it's the same cabin.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

I'm not saying Banner wasn't there, I'm saying it's not the same cabin. The timeline doesn't line up for what we've been told about the AoS cabin. Like, we know

-Banner stayed in a cabin at the end of TIH, a couple years before Avengers
    -Rogers stayed at a cabin during his adjustment period, prior to the Avengers
    -At some point, Banner reinforced the cabin Steve Rogers stayed in, and as the hulk, dented the wall.

So while you can line up nouns in those sentences, the timeline doesn't really make since, given Banner was still on the run and didn't seem to have any indication of working with SHIELD during his fugitive status between his accident and the Avengers. And it's not like Banner would have the resources to Hulk-proof a cabin while he was a fugitive.

So unless SHIELD just rolled up on Banner's cabin in-between TIH and Avengers and decided to drop off Rogers there, I don't think it's the same cabin.
    Coulson also may have been lying to Skye and said it was Rogers when really it was Banner that was there, he just said that to make her not feel like a monster ala Hulk

Harry DresdenShadowen
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    First pics of Jean Grey and Jubilee

I love the 80's appropriate look!

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
    Harry DresdenZavianSorceMidnite
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Those set photos look pretty awesome.

And they didn't.
    So he died.
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Is...is that Will Smith as Deadshot picture real?

Because I just had some Wild Wild West flashbacks

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Is...is that Will Smith as Deadshot picture real?

Because I just had some Wild Wild West flashbacks

this one with the off the shelf paintball mask?

masks.jpg

Zavian on
    That's.. actually a pretty cool paintball helmet.

JayrichoShadowenchiasaur11Zonugal
    edited May 2015
    That's.. actually a pretty cool paintball helmet.

it is, but it doesn't look very 'Deadshot'. I guess they blew their budget on the Affleck cameo (unless that's just some random hitman out to get Lawton)

will-smith-spotted-in-costume-on-suicide-squad-set-05-b02e3.jpg

Zavian on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Actually, that's a decent retro Deadshot:

Deadshot_0022.jpg

I'm still partial to the simple Arrow Deadshot look
    Deadshot.jpg

Jayrichominor incidentSorce
    Arrow and Arkham City both had great Deadshots. I don't know. Despite it all, I think Will Smith can be a very good actor and maybe he'll be decent? And maybe BvS will be okay? I'm an optimist, I guess.

There's also the fact that the initial Man of Steel trailer was pretty incredible, and it turned out to be a total garbage heap. Maybe the reverse is happening with the early stuff with BvS and SS.

And they didn't.
    So he died.
    if they kept the original colors, I actually would have liked Man of Steel a whole lot more. The 'dark and gritty' filter they used just made the whole film look terrible
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-eYiD9OfM

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the filter they added didn't do the film any favors, but it's far from the largest problem I had with it

HadjiQuestminor incidentchiasaur11ZavianGonmunSolarCentipede Damascus
    I always thought the color grading in MoS was just a goddamn disaster, but seeing it next to the corrected version makes it painful.

And they didn't.
    So he died.
    Zavian
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Arrow and Arkham City both had great Deadshots. I don't know. Despite it all, I think Will Smith can be a very good actor and maybe he'll be decent? And maybe BvS will be okay? I'm an optimist, I guess.

There's also the fact that the initial Man of Steel trailer was pretty incredible, and it turned out to be a total garbage heap. Maybe the reverse is happening with the early stuff with BvS and SS.

I was fine accepting Mos and the last couple Ayers movies for what they were, but even I'm pretty skeptical of BvS and (especially) Suicide Squad. At least I can go to BvS knowing that I'll probably get to see or hear Charlie Rose and Neil deGrasse Tyson talking for a bit.

• SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this week and Age of Ultron
    I really wish I had watched it prior to seeing AoU, the lead in at the end of the movie was kind of great. It was an enjoyable moment having already seen AoU, but it would have been cool to see it in chronological order as well.

I wonder what the events of AoU will mean for Coulson and his crew. Will they join Fury and Hill with the New Avengers, or will they start working with Gonzales' S.H.I.E.L.D? Or are the New Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. the same thing now? I'm not totally sure what the end of AoU means for S.H.I.E.L.D. going forward.

Side note: S.H.I.E.L.D. is really annoying to type. Everyone cool if we just drop the periods going forward?

Sinogue on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sinogue wrote: »
    Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this week and Age of Ultron
    I really wish I had watched it prior to seeing AoU, the lead in at the end of the movie was kind of great. It was an enjoyable moment having already seen AoU, but it would have been cool to see it in chronological order as well.

I wonder what the events of AoU will mean for Coulson and his crew. Will they join Fury and Hill with the New Avengers, or will they start working with Gonzales' S.H.I.E.L.D? Or are the New Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. the same thing now? I'm not totally sure what the end of AoU means for S.H.I.E.L.D. going forward.

Side note: S.H.I.E.L.D. is really annoying to type. Everyone cool if we just drop the periods going forward?

I'm pretty sure that
    the facility Coulson was setting up behind the scenes in AoS was the New Avengers Academy that we see at the end of AoU. I was looking around at all of the background characters there hoping to catch a glimsp of some AoS characters.

We'll see the aftermath next episode, I guess we won't know for sure since then. Coulson doesn't seem to have a lot of regard for Gonzales, and Gonzales' men aren't fans of Fury.

H9f4bVe.png
    Harry Dresden
    full Suicide Squad in costumes revealed:
    suicidesquadteam-e5a58.jpg

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Is Slipknot a real thing? Those cornrows, the ropes, and that name. Wow.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    That Katana oh noooooooo

• M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    To be honest, the source material for Katana isn't much better. It'd be like if a manga author created a modern-day cowboy character with an American flag facemask named "Winchester" who waged wore against street gangs.

Also, this seems like a real low for Will Smith, like he's been hounding his agent for a comic book role and this is all he got offered. That said, that's not why I came here to post.

Wanted to say that my favorite part of AoU was:
    …when Vision grew his cape.

M-Tee on
    Harry Dresden
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    M-Tee wrote: »
    Also, this seems like a real low for Will Smith, like he's been hounding his agent for a comic book role and this is all he got offered. That said, that's not why I came here to post.

Will Smith isn't as hot as it used to be post-After Earth. That's what he gets for trusting his career with M. Night.

Harry Dresden on
    edited May 2015
    Tairu wrote: »
    That Katana oh noooooooo

Sadly, that's one of the better costumes. It's not going to go well in Asia, is it? :(

edit: Meanwhile, Age of Ultron is doing splendidly in South Korea.

Harry Dresden on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    To be honest, the source material for Katana isn't much better. It'd be like if a manga author created a modern-day cowboy character with an American flag facemask named "Winchester" who waged wore against street gangs.

Have you ever seen G Gundam?

The American mech is a boxing cowboy football player who rides into battle on a surfboard.

joshgotroShadowenJayrichoGolden YakDevlin_Dragonus
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Will Smith should make another Hancock. The first one fell apart at the end, but was otherwise a pretty good film.

kyrcl.png
    minor incidentJayrichoSorceGolden YakDevlin_Dragonus
    That Suicide Squad is just chock full of weird shit I did not expect them to bother with. Captain Boomerang? Slipknot? Killer Croc? I mean, A for effort at least. Even if a lot of the costumes are kind of dumb.

I do actually like Deadshot's costume, though. Looks good with the mask.

And they didn't.
    So he died.
    Harry Dresden

I kind of loved the whole
    "Hey bro, cool cape. I'mma do that, too."

And they didn't.
    So he died.
    JayrichoHarry Dresden
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Have you ever seen G Gundam?

The American mech is a boxing cowboy football player who rides into battle on a surfboard.

And here's a Power Ranger that's a cowboy with a guitar-sword-gun who transforms with a hamburger power-morpher and loves taking selfies.

tumblr_inline_nne16dj2Gr1reiniw_500.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
    Tairujoshgotrochiasaur11Spoit
    Stereotypes:
    Yep. Prime examples of equally poor character designs.

AoU:
    Yeah, the fact that it was so subtly done, and the look on Vision's face sells it so well. I honestly hate that there's not going to be a Vision coming-of-age movie before Civil War.

Also, I couldn't help but feel like more of this movie was setting up Black Panther and a handful of the awkward cuts were due to Black Panther being thrown out the door to shoehorn Spidey into Civil War. That said, I'm sure I'll enjoy watching a longer cut, but I highly doubt that it will be any better, and will still be far short of the length discussed about in production.

Take The Man with the Iron Fists for example. RZA was pretty open about the original cut being over four hours, which would be very cool to have as a viewing option. But the hyped "extended cut" only added like 17 minutes or whatever.

AoS:
    I doubt the training facility is the New Avengers facility. I feel like they're building up a much a lower-tier training facility to chock-full of D-list entries like some of the supers we've already seen in the show. That way, they have a place to write them into and hold them until later use. That is, if we get a 3rd season.

Stereotypes:
    Yep. Prime examples of equally poor character designs.

AoU:
    Yeah, the fact that it was so subtly done, and the look on Vision's face sells it so well. I honestly hate that there's not going to be a Vision coming-of-age movie before Civil War.

Also, I couldn't help but feel like more of this movie was setting up Black Panther and a handful of the awkward cuts were due to Black Panther being thrown out the door to shoehorn Spidey into Civil War. That said, I'm sure I'll enjoy watching a longer cut, but I highly doubt that it will be any better, and will still be far short of the length discussed about in production.

Take The Man with the Iron Fists for example. RZA was pretty open about the original cut being over four hours, which would be very cool to have as a viewing option. But the hyped "extended cut" only added like 17 minutes or whatever.

AoS:
    I doubt the training facility is the New Avengers facility. I feel like they're building up a much a lower-tier training facility to chock-full of D-list entries like some of the supers we've already seen in the show. That way, they have a place to write them into and hold them until later use. That is, if we get a 3rd season.

Civil War/AoU
    Spider-man's too late to change it. He might get a cameo, BP's safe. BP wasn't meant to show up in AoU.

edited May 2015
    Civil War/AoU
    The announcement was too late to affect the editing process? You may be right, there. I had known BP wasn't intended to show up in AoU, but I got the feeling from the movie that the Wakanda/vibranium aspect might have been downplayed. That part of the movie seemed unusually awkward, but I guess not as awkward as Thor's side trip...

M-Tee on