As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hugo Awards 2016 and beyond

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I...uh....shit.

I like Chuck Tingle now.

Fucking Vox.

Though I can imagine him now writing some sort of screed about the plan to unveil Tingle as some sort of SJW or something.

It's one of the most wonderfully elegant "fuck you " I've seen.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ...and if anybody knows how to write "fuck you up the ass" in an entertaining way, it'd be Tingle.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    I...uh....shit.

I like Chuck Tingle now.

Fucking Vox.

Though I can imagine him now writing some sort of screed about the plan to unveil Tingle as some sort of SJW or something.

It's not a stretch. "Tingle" is obviously pretty comfortable with homosexuality, and even some rather... bleeding-edge forms of sexual expression.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So, Tingle has announced that if he wins the Hugo and cannot accept in person, he will have it accepted by...

Zoe Quinn.

Godspeed, you glorious anal-obsessed buckaroo.

I almost want this to happen now, because the sheer breakdown of certain people on the internet would be absolutely worth it. It would drive the entire lot of alt-right shitheads involved nuts.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    She has also changed her Twitter display name to True Buckaroo.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The weirdest thing about John C. Wright's religious beliefs is that he's nominally Catholic but his actual beliefs as I understand them are closer to the American evangelical movement.

Official Catholic doctrine is basically to shrug at Genesis and Catholic schools almost universally teach evolution - with the caveat that a person's soul is furnished by God and that God has guided the evolutionary process. The same applies to the Big Bang (a theory ordinated by a Catholic priest). The Catholic church also doesn't hold to the American evangelical idea of the rapture; they don't hold that good Christians will be suddenly whooshed off to avoid tribulations. Stuff like that.

I'm a non-denominational Christian, closer to Catholicism than any other nomination, so I don't want to sound TOO preachy, but modern genetics' founder was an Augustine monk. To rail against evolution is a very, very non-Catholic thing to do.
    The weirdest thing about John C. Wright's religious beliefs is that he's nominally Catholic but his actual beliefs as I understand them are closer to the Anerican evangelical movement.

Official Catholic doctrine is basically to shrug at Genesis and Catholic schools almost universally teach evolution - with the caveat that a person's soul is furnished by God and that God has guided the evolutionary process. The same applies to the Big Bang (a theory ordinated by a Catholic priest). The Cathllic church also doesn't hold to the American evangelical idea of the rapture; they don't hold that good Christians will be suddenly whooshed off to avoid tribulations. Stuff like that.

He's a Radical Traditional Catholic. Basically, he believes that all church doctrine from Vatican II and onward are liberal lies and blasphemy. Unless he's gone crazier than since I read him last, I doubt he actually believes in the Rapture. He's probably sympathetic to overall social mores of the evangelical movement, though.

Edit: I should mention that rad-trads are a non-trivial conservative movement in Catholicism and that Wright is not unique in his beliefs. Google a bit on Vatican II, or god help you, "Novus Ordo", and you'll get a sense of how nutty the rad-trads are.

The thing is, his Christian crazy is not Catholic Novus Ordo crazy. It's Evangelical crazy. He proclaims very loudly that he doesn't believe in the Rapture (as no Catholic should), but his Hugo-nominated garbage of a story ("The Parliament of Birds and Beasts") is basically a post-Rapture meeting of said Parliament. It's an unhealthy mixture of reactionarism, Evangelical doctrine, incredible purple prose, and a good idea wasted by a moron.

Well, he has a series of books about the reappearance of the gods of the ancient Greek pantheon, too, but I don't think you can credibly call him a devotee of Hellenism. I was simply interested in pointing out that he says he's a rad-trad Catholic and that rad-trad Catholics have their own flavor of crazy that shares many common features with evangelical crazy. I'll also give him credit for having enough intellectual flexibility to write about religious doctrine he doesn't personally believe in.

But yeah, he is indeed a reactionary moron who spews purple prose. He's like a demented combination of Jack Vance and an SSPX Sunday-school teacher.

Oh sure, I'm not disagreeing with much of what you're saying. The thing is, I'm not sure if him writing a post-Rapture fiction is him having "intellectual flexibility" or having no idea whatsoever about Catholic doctrine, which simply means you're disinterested in Catholic doctrine if you're, well, disinterested in Catholic doctrine, but also means that you're a complete moron when you're a fundamentalist Catholic

My understanding is that he did the adult conversion-to-Catholicism thing after experience some sort of huge traumatic event (maybe a really bad auto accident? It's been years since I read his blog). Traditionally, that's six months to a year of adult Sunday School and at the end you have to convince a Priest you know WTF you're talking about.

Also, one of the hallmarks of crazy traditionalist Catholics is that they have a lawyerly, super-nitpicky understanding of doctrine. They're basically the sort of people who claim that mass held in native-languages is spiritually invalid because the translation from the text of the old latin mass is wrong in a few places (based on their own translations). Wright likely isn't the sort of Catholic who's disinterested in doctrine, he's probably a conspiracy theorist Catholic who's obsessed with it. He's like... one of the Constitutionalist crazies who claims that the 16th amendment doesn't actually give the government authority to collect income taxes. He's totally wrong, but he damn sure knows exactly what the 16th amendment says. Probably even has it memorized.

I could be wrong. Like I said, it's been a long time since I read Wright's stuff about his own personal religion. But if he really did go through the standard adult conversion process and he really did go off into the rad-trad weeds of Catholicism, then he won't merely be familiar with Catholic doctrine, he'll be obsessive about it.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The two of them have been working on a game together for a while now!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I don't know which I want more.

Pounded in the Butt By My Hugo Award

Or

Noah Ward Wins My Hugo Award and it Pounds Him In the Butt

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    -brilliant-

I'm buying this man's books right now. All of them.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    God fucking damnit.

The work likely does not deserve to be put above No Award. I mean, I don't want to pre-judge it, but, uh, yeah.

But if we assume that the entire Hugo thing is already tainted, isn't the fuck you worth it to put it above No Award and to see what happens?

I feel like I'm being torn in two, the decision is too big.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    -brilliant-

I'm buying this man's books right now. All of them.

I literally just got done ordering like 6 of the paperbacks to give out as random gifts.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    God fucking damnit.

The work likely does not deserve to be put above No Award. I mean, I don't want to pre-judge it, but, uh, yeah.

But if we assume that the entire Hugo thing is already tainted, isn't the fuck you worth it to put it above No Award and to see what happens?

I agree he probably shouldn't win a Hugo award. If at the end of the whole Puppy shenanigans the one person to get an undeserved Hugo were Tingle, I would not complain too vociferously. If nothing else it would get an asterisks that would help this whole situation be remembered a few decades down the line.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I swear, it's like an onion of counter-trolling, with each layer more glorious than the last.

Now we just need Zoe to announce that Anita Sarkeesian would be her date or something like that.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    God fucking damnit.

I agree he probably shouldn't win a Hugo award. If at the end of the whole Puppy shenanigans the one person to get an undeserved Hugo were Tingle, I would not complain too vociferously. If nothing else it would get an asterisks that would help this whole situation be remembered a few decades down the line.

"A * pounded by a Hugo"

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    God fucking damnit.

Aren't all the other nominations Puppy nods too?

If so having Chuck Tingle walk away while the rest go behind Noah Ward would be a fine fuck you to Vox Day and the Puppies.

The message being a random short story they picked to be insulting is better then the stories they though where worthy of a Hugo.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    If it helps you can think of Chuck Tingle as some kind of... brilliant post-postmodern avant-garde digito-social metasatirist performance artist. Or something.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I swear, it's like an onion of counter-trolling, with each layer more glorious than the last.

Now we just need Zoe to announce that Anita Sarkeesian would be her date or something like that.

Chuck Tingle is a steely-eyed rocket troll,

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Ursula Vernon is already one of my heroes, but this is like even better than I imagined:
    https://storify.com/z4ns4tsu/ursulav-gives-chuck-and-zoe-the-seuss-treatment

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Being supportive of Chuck Tingle is substantially different than deciding, "fuck it, it's too broken. Imma just gunna blow the whole thing up and vote Trump"

:( right?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    A vote for Chuck Tingle is a vote to spit in the eye of a Puppy.

They did not choose it because they seriously think it's an excellent piece of fiction. They chose it because choosing it took another spot on the ballot from someone else. The selection is more likely to be a critique of "deviant" "SJW" sexuality and is meant to be the world's lamest Xanatos Gambit for the "SJW" vote, because if we vote against a gay story, we're nothing but hypocrites! If we vote FOR a gay story, onoes, we voted for a slated item!

• Options

They did not choose it because they seriously think it's an excellent piece of fiction. They chose it because choosing it took another spot on the ballot from someone else. The selection is more likely to be a critique of "deviant" "SJW" sexuality and is meant to be the world's lamest Xanatos Gambit for the "SJW" vote, because if we vote against a gay story, we're nothing but hypocrites! If we vote FOR a gay story, onoes, we voted for a slated item!

Part of me has some reservations about wanting Tingle to win, since it would clearly be voting for political rather than literary reasons, which is part of the puppies supposed argument. The rest of me is shouting, "Fuck those guys. They nominated it, they have no grounds to complain if it wins."

Also, Space Unicorn Slush Ranger totally sounds like something Chuck tingle has been pounded in the butt with.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

Part of me has some reservations about wanting Tingle to win, since it would clearly be voting for political rather than literary reasons, which is part of the puppies supposed argument. The rest of me is shouting, "Fuck those guys. They nominated it, they have no grounds to complain if it wins."

Also, Space Unicorn Slush Ranger totally sounds like something Chuck tingle has been pounded in the butt with.

Voting "No Award" last year was every bit about the politics of the situation as anything else.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Voting "No Award" last year was every bit about the politics of the situation as anything else.

This is why the Puppies are salty about it.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Ursula Vernon is already one of my heroes, but this is like even better than I imagined:
    https://storify.com/z4ns4tsu/ursulav-gives-chuck-and-zoe-the-seuss-treatment
    UrsulaV wrote:
    The Hugos still lived, in spite of his claim!
    He tried to stop fandom but fandom still came!
    (Though not QUITE like in books with Chuck Tingle's name.)

Oh god, dying now.

So good.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

I think a strong argument could be made that no award won on the nominations' lack of literary merit. The political situation encouraged more people to participate, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that anything other than GotG was anywhere close to being good, let alone outstanding.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options

the "slush ranger" part is just my work at Uncanny Magazine (where our mascot is a space unicorn!) I slay a lot of stories before they get to the editors' desks. :D

but I'm p sure there are space unicorns in a Tingler, somewhere, either fore or hence

• Options
    Black Gate has withdrawn from Best Fanzine consideration for a second year in a row, able to make it official this year, and Thomas Mays has pulled "The Commuter" from consideration in Best Short Story.

These changes have put Lady Business in the Best Fanzine running and "Cat Pictures Please" by Naomi Kritzer on the Short Story ballot.

Considering the buzz over Cat Pictures Please (oh my god go read it: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/kritzer_01_15/) literally all year, I'm not at all surprised that it's the top rated story after the slate. I think it also proves to me how small the slate numbers are; the only reason they were able to lock up balloting was the consistency of their votes. (I can't find it but someone has estimated that the volume of "Dread Ilk" is suspected to be circa 200 and change. Hardly an immovable force, and not at all surprising that No Award swept the categories which got slimed last year.)

Someone also pointed out to me this week that the number of silly geese who are likely to continue to participate after this year is over is likely to be significantly fewer: participation in this year's voting is granted by last year's membership, and the number of people who are going to continue to pony up year after year for the privilege... seems less likely if it continues to be low results.

• Options
    ChtbDzBUgAAQ6p_.jpg

The temptation to make this my avatar is mounting.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    tapes that story is utterly magnificent

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The weirdest thing about John C. Wright's religious beliefs is that he's nominally Catholic but his actual beliefs as I understand them are closer to the American evangelical movement.

Official Catholic doctrine is basically to shrug at Genesis and Catholic schools almost universally teach evolution - with the caveat that a person's soul is furnished by God and that God has guided the evolutionary process. The same applies to the Big Bang (a theory ordinated by a Catholic priest). The Catholic church also doesn't hold to the American evangelical idea of the rapture; they don't hold that good Christians will be suddenly whooshed off to avoid tribulations. Stuff like that.

I'm a non-denominational Christian, closer to Catholicism than any other nomination, so I don't want to sound TOO preachy, but modern genetics' founder was an Augustine monk. To rail against evolution is a very, very non-Catholic thing to do.
    The weirdest thing about John C. Wright's religious beliefs is that he's nominally Catholic but his actual beliefs as I understand them are closer to the Anerican evangelical movement.

Official Catholic doctrine is basically to shrug at Genesis and Catholic schools almost universally teach evolution - with the caveat that a person's soul is furnished by God and that God has guided the evolutionary process. The same applies to the Big Bang (a theory ordinated by a Catholic priest). The Cathllic church also doesn't hold to the American evangelical idea of the rapture; they don't hold that good Christians will be suddenly whooshed off to avoid tribulations. Stuff like that.

He's a Radical Traditional Catholic. Basically, he believes that all church doctrine from Vatican II and onward are liberal lies and blasphemy. Unless he's gone crazier than since I read him last, I doubt he actually believes in the Rapture. He's probably sympathetic to overall social mores of the evangelical movement, though.

Edit: I should mention that rad-trads are a non-trivial conservative movement in Catholicism and that Wright is not unique in his beliefs. Google a bit on Vatican II, or god help you, "Novus Ordo", and you'll get a sense of how nutty the rad-trads are.

The thing is, his Christian crazy is not Catholic Novus Ordo crazy. It's Evangelical crazy. He proclaims very loudly that he doesn't believe in the Rapture (as no Catholic should), but his Hugo-nominated garbage of a story ("The Parliament of Birds and Beasts") is basically a post-Rapture meeting of said Parliament. It's an unhealthy mixture of reactionarism, Evangelical doctrine, incredible purple prose, and a good idea wasted by a moron.

Well, he has a series of books about the reappearance of the gods of the ancient Greek pantheon, too, but I don't think you can credibly call him a devotee of Hellenism. I was simply interested in pointing out that he says he's a rad-trad Catholic and that rad-trad Catholics have their own flavor of crazy that shares many common features with evangelical crazy. I'll also give him credit for having enough intellectual flexibility to write about religious doctrine he doesn't personally believe in.

But yeah, he is indeed a reactionary moron who spews purple prose. He's like a demented combination of Jack Vance and an SSPX Sunday-school teacher.

Jack Vance and he have nothing in common beyond using the same alphabet to produce words

• Options
    edited May 2016
    And the Nebulas went to women writers this year:
    Earlier tonight, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America handed out the Nebula Award in Chicago, and this year women have swept one of science fiction’s biggest awards.

This year’s Nebula Award Banquet toastmaster was actor John Hodgeman, who opened the show with a fun performance of ‘Radio SFWA’, pitched his own novel idea, A Feast for Bros and lamented the lack of genre NPR shows such as Car Talk: Fury Road.

The science fiction world has had its share of drama with the Hugo Awards as various slates have worked aggressively to push against the growing numbers of women and people of color appearing on award ballots. The Nebula Awards have demonstrated, for two years in a row, that science fiction and fantasy literature remains a strong, inclusive body of literature.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, kind of looking this thing and George R.R. Martin had some words about it:
    Over the past few months, I've read countless variations of the statement that goes, "well, this is the last year we will have a problem, come summer we'll pass EPH and all will be fine." I had my doubts about that every time I heard it, and this new report just confirms them. We may indeed pass EPH, and it may help... a little... but all will not be fine.

We may pass 4/6 too, and that could also help... slightly... but it's easily thwarted, if you have hundreds of followers who will do exactly as you tell them, and the Rabids seem to have just that.

If EPH and 4/6, or both, are passed at MidAmericon II, and work more-or-less as advertised, the slates will no longer be able to completely dominate entire categories by taking all five slots. The reforms should ensure that there are at least one or two legitimate nominees in every category. Which is better, certainly, than what has happened to Best Related Work the past two ballots, say. But it is still far from ideal. Future ballots will instead look more like last year's Best Novelette, Best Professional Artist, and Best Fan Writer shortlists, or this year's Best Fan Artist, all of which featured one legit choice and four slate candidates. Maybe we'd see some improvement in some categories, and have two finalists to choose between.

Better than what we have now? Sure. But comparable to being able to choose among five strong candidates to decide which one was the very best of the year? Not even close.

I can hear the proponents of EPH and 4/6 saying their reforms were never meant to be a cure all. Yes, I know that, I never believed otherwise, and I applaud your efforts to help. I just wish these reforms helped more. Neither EPH nor 4/6 is going to prevent us from having VD on the Best Editor shortlist from now until the heat death of the universe.

Ouch.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Hehe, the Hugos get Venereal Disease.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    "AC, how can the Puppies be stopped forever?"

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    No, this isn't a silver bullet, but it's better than standing around and shrugging. The only way to eliminate the level of fuckery involved would be to eliminate the non-attending nominating ballots, and that's a worse solution.

Mr. Beale will continue to put himself out there as best editor, and he'll keep landing on the bottom of the balloting once the votes are counted. It sucks that he blocks a better nominee from the category, but I think the combination of EPH & 4:6 will reduce the effectiveness of a slate, not eliminate it entirely. Losing the ability to exert complete locking control of the balloting will make it less fun to do, imo.

• Options
    In case anyone was wondering what level of Internet Chuck Tingle is, I believe the correct answer is "all the blackbelts."

http://www.therabidpuppies.com
    Hello my name is CHUCK TINGLE (worlds greatest author). ​

​​sometimes devilmen are so busy planning scoundrel attacks they forget to REGISTER important website names. this is a SOFT WAY of the antibuckaroo agenda but is also good because it makes it easy for BUDS WHO KNOW LOVE IS REAL to prove love (all).

please understand this is website to take DARK MAGIC and replace with REAL LOVE for all who kiss the sky. here are some links that make bad dogs blue very upset (as angry NORMAL men)

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    In case anyone was wondering what level of Internet Chuck Tingle is, I believe the correct answer is "all the blackbelts."

​​sometimes devilmen are so busy planning scoundrel attacks they forget to REGISTER important website names. this is a SOFT WAY of the antibuckaroo agenda but is also good because it makes it easy for BUDS WHO KNOW LOVE IS REAL to prove love (all).

please understand this is website to take DARK MAGIC and replace with REAL LOVE for all who kiss the sky. here are some links that make bad dogs blue very upset (as angry NORMAL men)
    Absolutely amazing.

• Options

OK.

I am definitely going to put Space Raptor Butt Invasion over No Award, and no, I won't even feel bad about it.