As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hugo Awards 2016 and beyond

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I won't be voting, but I support this. This thread was my introduction to Chuck Tingle, but the more I see from him, the angrier I am that the Puppies tried to use him/his works to make a point.

Fuck them, keep on being a badass Chuck!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I am now following Chuck on Twitter and you should too.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    CjV2wwEUgAElQOq.jpg

If they actually play along with this, it will be glorious.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I really do kind of love how thoroughly this seems to have backfired for these geese.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    This might be the most thorough explanation of the science fiction culture wars that I have ever seen:

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/26/11759842/chuck-tingle-hugo-award-rabid-puppies-explained

It really does dig into the issues going back all the way to Racefail '09 (and blessedly doesn't give that too much time.) definitely worth a read, especially if you haven't been following along.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This might be the most thorough explanation of the science fiction culture wars that I have ever seen:

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/26/11759842/chuck-tingle-hugo-award-rabid-puppies-explained

It really does dig into the issues going back all the way to Racefail '09 (and blessedly doesn't give that too much time.) definitely worth a read, especially if you haven't been following along.
    So please, sit back and enjoy the thrilling story I like to call, Reactionary Sci-Fi Writers Pounded in the Butt by Their Own Attempt to Give Chuck Tingle a Hugo Award.

Best line in the article.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    It's about time someone brought some proper butt pounding into SF/F. Chuck is also very active on Facebook and I enjoyed his updates lately.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It's a good article, can serve as a crash-course in the whole malarky for people who don't to read all the previous 38 pages.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

So please, sit back and enjoy the thrilling story I like to call, Reactionary Sci-Fi Writers Pounded in the Butt by Their Own Attempt to Give Chuck Tingle a Hugo Award.

To a more self-aware person than VD, this might have been something of a red flag:
    His books also skewer the open culture of self-publishing, where everything and anything goes....

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

To a more self-aware person than VD, this might have been something of a red flag:
    His books also skewer the open culture of self-publishing, where everything and anything goes....

Mr Beale is many things, but "self-aware" often has an incredibly low correlation with "self-obsessed," for all that's worth.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Apparently, one of the videos they're playing to get Republicans singing from the Trump hymnal features Day:
    I don't want the link tracking back to here, but if anyone wanted to google "WSRP unity speech" they might get a video, which they could cue up to 1:56:30.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Apparently, one of the videos they're playing to get Republicans singing from the Trump hymnal features Day:
    I don't want the link tracking back to here, but if anyone wanted to google "WSRP unity speech" they might get a video, which they could cue up to 1:56:30.

I can't express how grateful I am that my procrastination has left my primary ballot unfinished long enough to be swayed by VD's words.

pMWSkw1.jpg

No one to blame but yourself, Teddy.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    http://mac2-hugo01.midamericon2.org/packet.php

Hugo voter packet is up, if you're a member of the org. get to reading, champs!

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    http://mac2-hugo01.midamericon2.org/packet.php

Hugo voter packet is up, if you're a member of the org. get to reading, champs!

Can next years Worldcon 75 members get those or is it just this years members?
    I think I was eligible for nominating candidates.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    If you were eligible to nominate this year, you're eligible to vote this year.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me who this Simultaneous Four Corner Earth Time Cube guy is? Is Chuck Tingle real?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Chuck Tingle is an American hero

Time cube guy is something else entirely

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me who this Simultaneous Four Corner Earth Time Cube guy is? Is Chuck Tingle real?

Chuck Tinge is the pen name for an erotica author. He has a persona of a slightly insane if folksy father. Or he is a slightly insane if folksy father. It's kinda hard to tell because if it's a character he never drops it. Imagine Andy Kaufman wrote erotica about things going in butts.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Part of what makes Chuck Tingle great is he satirizes the rightwing fever dreams about gay people.

A bunch of his titles apparently came from the bizarre slippery slope argument the religious right made against gay marriage.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Chuck Tinge is the pen name for an erotica author. He has a persona of a slightly insane if folksy father. Or he is a slightly insane if folksy father. It's kinda hard to tell because if it's a character he never drops it. Imagine Andy Kaufman wrote erotica about things going in butts.

There's another kind?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I like that Chuck's fans are buds or buckaroos and his enemies are vox and the devilmen.

• Options
  • Options
    oh hey whoops it turns out I totally forgot to maintain this thread this year because the puppy stuff was even more inane than usual and tbh I think Chuck Tingle has puppy maintenance on lock.

I am going to Worldcon this year! so hopefully I will get to see Naomi Kritzer take it for Cat Pictures Please (or Zoe picking up that rocket for Dr Chuck Tingle, Hugo Nominated Author) and I have super high hopes for Lynne, Michael, and Michi to take it home for Uncanny.

(I am also on panels this year, what. It's my first Worldcon! It is going to be insane.)

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks to this thread, I am reading Ancillary Justice, and while I'm only 1/4 of the way in, I'm loving the shit out of it.

So, thank you, Thread.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread, I am reading Ancillary Justice, and while I'm only 1/4 of the way in, I'm loving the shit out of it.

So, thank you, Thread.

if there's nothing else I get out of this whole fucking kerfuffle, it's stuff like this. :D

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

So, thank you, Thread.

Yeah, this thread led me to pick those up. Justice is wonderful. Eagerly waiting on the third.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    http://grrm.livejournal.com/483848.html
    One last point. The Rabids used a new tactic this year. They nominated legitimate, quality works in addition to the dross. Works by writers like Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Neal Stephenson, Alastair Reynolds (Reynolds went public well before the nominations asking NOT to be slated, but they slated him anyway), Andy Weir, and several others. Some of these writers are apolitical (like Weir), while others are known to oppose everything that VD stands for (Gaiman, Stephenson, King). One has to think they were deliberately targeted.

In some of the online comments I've seen, these writers are being called "shields." I've even read some people calling for them to withdraw, simply because they were on VD's list.

Withdrawing is the LAST thing they should do.

I urge them all to stand their ground. They wrote good books, stories, graphic novels, they did NOT take part in any slate. In some cases they were largely unaware of all this. In other cases they explicitly denounced the slates ahead of time (Reynolds, again). Punishing them... demanding they turn down this honor... simply because VD listed them is insane.

Marko Kloos and Annie Bellet did the right thing by withdrawing last year. Their was an ethical and courageous act; I applauded them then and I applaud them now. But this is a different year and a different situation. Given the well-known political views of some of these writers, it seems plain to me that VD and the Rabids picked them deliberately, in hopes they would withdraw, or would be voted under No Award. They would probably have put Scalzi (VD's best bro) on the ballot too, but he outsmarted them and withdrew before they could.

I am rather hoping that several of them win. Based on quality alone, some deserve to. Sure, VD will claim that as a victory, but as last year proves, he claims everything as a victory. We'll know the truth. The only real victory for him would be having any of these fine writers pull out. Let's not play his game.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2016/04/27/four-things-about-the-hugos-42716/
    Second off, I see some people here and elsewhere swearing they’re going to put anything that was on the Sad/Rabid slates or recommendation lists below “No Award” this year. Bluntly, you’ll be foolish if you do this. As I noted in my LA Times piece yesterday, the Puppies this year slated things that were already popular outside their little circles, like, for example, The Sandman: Overture, by Neil Gaiman.

http://brandonsanderson.com/hugo-awards-2016/

[quoteAs most probably agree, the Sad Puppies are not the big problem here. There is another group who are simply determined to burn the house down, with everyone inside. Though there might be people in this group who are sincere, I believe that their leader (and much of the movement) is instead just trying to stir up controversy. They paint targets on people expressly to subject them to hateful ridicule. They have targeted friends of mine this way, and have said terrible, terrible things. They worked to nominate things simply out of spite and amusement.

I want nothing to do with them at all. Unfortunately, this year they put me on their slate. (Along with some other fan-favorite authors like Lois Bujold, Stephen King, and Neal Stephenson.)

If I’d known I was on this list, I would have asked to be taken off of it. This year, their list seems to include some people (I can’t know if I’m one) who are mainstream. People liked in the community, or likely to get a nomination anyway. They’ve done this, I presume, in order to see whether these people too would get “No Award.”

I can’t know how much the nomination of my novella was helped by this group, and even contemplating the idea is distasteful to me. This puts me in the position of having to decide whether or not to withdraw my nomination. It wouldn’t be heartbreaking for me to do so. I’ve won a Hugo in this category before, during the pre-Puppy years. I think my story is strong, but I will write other, stronger stories in the future. I’d be fine sitting it out this year.

I think that would be bad for fandom, and the award. Though I agree with those who withdrew nominations last year, I think we’re entering into a dangerous area. If we withdraw anytime someone like this person puts us on a slate, that gives them an enormous amount of power over us and the award. In addition, if we vote something under No Award anytime someone we don’t like advocates for it, then that’s the same as letting that person win the award whenever they want. Either way, we’re just being pushed around by a troll.

I’d like to think that we’ve learned from last year, and I have decided not to withdraw my nomination. I realize I’m setting myself up for being part of a potential blanket “No Award” voting slate this year. I will accept that, if it happens. But I don’t think letting a troll dictate my actions is going to work out better for me. And I certainly don’t want to insult the fans who nominated my work in good faith.

Therefore, I will stand by what I’ve always said: Nominate and vote for me only if you think the story itself deserves the recognition. Don’t vote for (or against) any person or their ideas. Vote for or against the story. Even when the nomination rules change next year (assuming the proposal gets enough votes again this year), we’re still likely to have a candidate in every category that was nominated in by certain elements.

In many cases, I feel it’s going to be impossible to separate which nominees are the result of trolls throwing rocks at us and which are the result of passionate fans who simply have different views from the mainstream. We’re going to have to do better than counter-voting, a point which many voices in the community, including Scalzi and GRRM, made last year.

I request that my fellow nominees consider not withdrawing. And I request that voters continue to look at the individual stories, artists, and editors, and judge based on the nominee themselves—rather than judging based on who is advocating for them.[/quote]

http://file770.com/?p=28616
    “Puppies all the way down” one person said.

Vox Day’s Rabid Puppies slate initially placed 64 of its 81 recommendations on the final ballot. (Update: Two slated items withdrew after the finalists were announced. Pre-announcement withdrawals or items ruled ineligible will not be made known until the voting statistics are released at the Worldcon.)

The following table shows in red the Hugo Nominees that were NOT on the Rabid Puppies List.

The Sad Puppies List is included for the sake of curiosity. It was handled much differently from last year. Items on the SP4 list were ranked in order of the number of recommendations they received. In only four categories did anything get double-digit numbers of recommendations. I have not cross-referenced it to the finalists.

The table follows the jump.

• Options
    https://improbableauthor.com/2016/04/26/regarding-my-2016-hugo-award-nomination/
    I tried to convince myself that perhaps the Rabids would also ameliorate the “burn it all” stance they ended with last year, after the strings of “No Awards” handed out at 2015’s ceremony. I hoped they would treat this year’s 5-item-per-category slate as only a recommendation, and that perhaps my story might be the only slate pick among a strong selection of non-slate tales. I hoped it would compete on its own with honor, winning or losing without a nod to anyone’s particular political intent. However, as the list is straight slate in the short story category, I cannot take advantage of a flaw in the current nomination process.

This is not a repudiation of anyone’s politics, nor is it an endorsement of anyone else’s ideology. This is not a statement on the quality of the nominated works that either appear or don’t appear on anyone’s slate. This is a rejection of a gamed system, as well as a stand for returning the Hugos to what they’re supposed to be rather than what some have tried to make them. I’ve spent the last 21 years in a career dedicated to the support and defense of the US Constitution and the principles upon which it is founded. Every slate, every recommendation list, and every vote is the expression of another individual’s right to free speech. I had no right to tell Vox to remove my story from the Rabid Puppies list, nor did I think asking him would do much good. I had no right to tell any Rabid Puppy how to vote, nor, truthfully, was I much inclined. I did not ask to be part of any list, but I hoped at the very least that it might bring other eyes to “The Commuter”, readers that might appreciate it for what it was and perhaps honor me with an uncontroversial nomination (or at least a few Kindle purchases). But, now that all hopes for a clean nomination are dashed, it is my turn to speak:

Rather than eat a shit sandwich, I choose to get up from the table.

• Options
    ktbeqc114qay.jpeg

So uh last night was pretty unreal, yall

(team space unicorn was out pretty freaking late, js)

((I am really happy to be such a tiny little piece of such a great team.))

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm a little sad that Tingle placed below No Award but can't really complain about it. It's mostly because of how he reacted to Vox Day's shenanigans that I was pulling for him rather than the merit of his work.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I'm a little sad that Tingle placed below No Award but can't really complain about it. It's mostly because of how he reacted to Vox Day's shenanigans that I was pulling for him rather than the merit of his work.

He may have placed below No Award but at least Naomi Kritzer got a rocket instead of No Award, which is good for the health of the award system as a whole.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Did the E Pluribus Hugo get voted on this year? How did it go?

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    jammu wrote: »
    Did the E Pluribus Hugo get voted on this year? How did it go?

WSFS hub:
    https://midamericon2.org/home/hugo-awards-and-wsfs/wsfs/newtest-wsfs-business-meeting/
    WSFS results for MAC2:
    https://midamericon2.org/business-passed-on/

I wasn't at the business meetings; too many schedule conflicts and I frankly didn't care enough because I suspected they would be passed or rightly removed, my vote would not be well informed anyhow.

The results with EPH applied have nearly a 100% correlation with stuff or people I nominated, so I am kind of hopeful?
    https://midamericon2.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/EPH-2016-For-BM.pdf

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Tape are we going to helsinki next year

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Tape are we going to helsinki next year

I am
    so if you are, I will see you there!

• Options
  • Options
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/hugo-awards-celebrate-women-in-sci-fi-send-rabid-puppi-1785558867
    The Hugo Awards proved once again that progress trumps nostalgia, as women, especially women of color, were the top winners of the night.

The winners were announced Saturday at MidAmeriCon II, held this year in Kansas City. Female writers, editors and artists took home seven individual awards. All four categories for works of fiction went to women, three of whom were women of color. That’s pretty amazing, considering 2007 only had one woman nominated for a work of fiction, and she didn’t win.

The big victor of the night was N.K. Jemisin, who won Best Novel for The Fifth Season. In her acceptance speech (read by Campbell nominee Alyssa Wong), Jemisin, a black woman, expressed how thrilled she was that people “would choose to vote for the story of a forty-something big-boned dredlocked woman of color waging an epic struggle against the forces of oppression.”

Sadly, the Rabid Puppies once again flooded nominations. Jemisin had some choice words for the group:

“Only a small number of ideologues have attempted to game the Hugo Awards. That small number can easily be overwhelmed, their regressive clamor stilled, if the rest of SFF fandom simply stands up to be counted. Stands up to say that yes, they do want literary innovation, and realistic representation. Stands up to say that yes, they do just want to read good stories — but what makes a story good is skill, and audacity, and the ability to consider the future clearly rather than through the foggy lenses of nostalgia and privilege.”

For the second year in a row, Theodore Beale (aka Vox Day) attacked the Hugo Awards with his online group, Rabid Puppies. Beale published a slate of nominees, mostly conservative writers and people from his own publishing house, and told his followers to vote them en masse. They nabbed over 60 nominations, with four categories dominated by Beale’s picks.

This strategy was started for last year’s awards by Sad Puppies, a group focused on more conservative and traditional sci-fi writers. Their belief was that the Hugos were focusing too much on social issues and forced diversity, and wanted to return to the nostalgic roots of science fiction.

To the Sad Puppies’ credit, their first slate was more recommended works than anything else, and this year they went with a ranking system that didn’t really get much of a response, so it’s hard to tell how much of an influence they had this time around.

Much like last year, the Hugos largely rejected the Rabid Puppies’ nominees. Nine of the 17 winners came from outside Beale’s slate, often being the only non-Rabid Puppy nominee in the entire category. Humor author Chuck Tingle, whose short story “Space Raptor Butt Invasion” was slated by Beale to try and embarrass Hugo attendees, didn’t win, but everyone had fun with it.

Beale’s slate turned out six winners, two of which came from categories that were entirely dominated by Rabid Puppy picks. A couple of them were popular works like The Martian and The Sandman: Overture. No Award was only given out twice this year, as opposed to five times like last year, but No Award did beat out a lot of Rabid Puppy picks, including Beale himself for Best Editor (as Vox Day).

Some of their picks didn’t even like them much. Neil Gaiman, who won Best Graphic Story for The Sandman: Overture (alongside artist J.H. Williams III), chided the Rabid Puppies in his acceptance speech, read by Hugo Ceremony Director Randall Shepard.

“It meant a lot to see Sandman: Overture nominated for a Hugo Award, and was disappointing to see that it had been dragged into the unfortunate mess that the pitiable people who call themselves Puppy had attempted to inflict on Worldcon and its awards. I would have withdrawn it from consideration, but even that seemed like it would have been giving these sad losers too much acknowledgement.”
    Jemisin’s win was an especially hard hit for Beale. He was expelled from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America after he called her an “educated but ignorant savage.”

And before you go thinking he’s changed his ways, he again called her “half-savage” in a blog post on Sunday, and said he was scared that white men would no longer be the majority in science fiction.

No word what’s going to happen in the future with the Hugo Awards. There have been talks they could change their nomination process to prevent slates from being abused, but nothing has been announced yet.

All in all, the Hugos had a strong and diverse turnout this year, despite attempts to hold it back. We’re seeing better representation in science fiction, both on the page and off, and that will hopefully continue to strengthen as more people show their support for diverse sci-fi. Also Jessica Jones, because she’s fantastic.

Here’s a list of this year’s winners.

Best novel: The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)

Best novella: Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (Tor.com)

Best novelette: “Folding Beijing” by Hao Jingfang, translated Ken Liu (Uncanny Magazine, Jan-Feb 2015)

Best short story: “Cat Pictures Please” by Naomi Kritzer (Clarkesworld, January 2015)

Best related work: No Award

Best graphic story: The Sandman: Overture, written by Neil Gaiman, art by J.H. Williams III (Vertigo)

Best dramatic presentation (long form): The Martian screenplay by Drew Goddard, directed by Ridley Scott (Scott Free Productions; Kinberg Genre; TSG Entertainment; 20th Century Fox)

Best dramatic presentation (short form): Jessica Jones: “AKA Smile,” written by Scott Reynolds, Melissa Rosenberg, and Jamie King, directed by Michael Rymer (Marvel Television; ABC Studios; Tall Girls Productions; Netflix)

Best editor - short form: Ellen Datlow

Best editor - long form: Sheila E. Gilbert

Best professional artist: Abigail Larson

Best semiprozine: Uncanny Magazine, edited by Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas, Michi Trota, and Erika Ensign & Steven Schapansky

Best fanzine: File 770, edited by Mike Glyer

Best fancast: No Award

Best fan writer: Mike Glyer

Best fan artist: Steve Stiles

The John W. Campbell Award (for the best new professional science fiction or fantasy writer of 2014 or 2015, sponsored by Dell Magazines, not a Hugo Award): Andy Weir

Am I right in thinking this years Hugo's were less of a train wreck than last year? Last year this thread was brimming with new things to talk about and the Sad/Rapid Puppies wouldn't shut up. Dare I dream that we've been over the worst of it?

Congratulations on the Hugo, @tapeslinger !

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Larry Coreia takes a break from whining about critics to finally comment on the Hugo's.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2016/08/15/io9-shoves-its-head-mostly-up-its-own-ass/
    I’m not going to bother to link to them, because Gawker media can go to hell.

In the Olympic spirt, io9 really went for the gold in the Write a Bullshit Headline competition.

DragonCon Releases (Mostly) Puppy-Free Nominations For First Dragon Awards
    by Beth Eldurkin

If by mostly Puppy Free, that headline means like 1/3 of the nominees were Sad Puppy participants or favorites, sure, but that’s like proudly proclaiming Utah is (Mostly) Mormon-Free. As in, you could write that headline, but you’d have to be A. a liar or B. an imbecile.
    Sad Puppy and Dragon nominee, Brian breaks down the actual numbers here:http://www.brianniemeier.com/2016/08/io9-reports-on-dragon-awards-misses.html

The take away is that the author is either a compulsive liar or really shitty at math. Either way, Hulk Hogan should fire her.
    I’m not going to bother fisking this, because the article is a bunch of garbled nonsense strung together in the vain hopes of establishing their regular dipshit CHORFed out narrative. It is really dumb, even by Gawker standards.

The highlights include the fact that they are surprised we didn’t use slates. Well, duh. Since the Dragon awards are an actual inclusive award for all of fandom, and not an insular closed circle jerk of like minded friends taking turns giving each other awards, why would we?

This chair is io9 Certified 100% PUPPY FREE
    This chair is io9 Certified 100% PUPPY FREE

When I started Sad Puppies the Hugos “represented all of fandom”, I said no they don’t, they only represent one tiny, politically biased group, and people like this called me a liar (I believe it was io9 that hailed 14 white liberals and 1 Asian liberal winning Hugos as a Victory of Diversity). Until after a couple of years of us getting Wrongfun on the ballot, then they shifted gears and the Hugos became “their special precious thing which belongs only to their special group”. Which is what I said it was all along. Go figure.

So places like io9 and Entertainment Weekly called us sexist/racists and our secret goal was to keep women and minorities out of sci-fi (which considering our nominees means we were really bad at it). This culminated in a boondoggle of the Hugos handing out wooden assholes, and No Awarding all the Wrongfan favorites–regardless of whether they were worthy or not–to send a message. And that message was Keep Out You Are Not Welcome In Our Club.
    Once we firmly established that they were full of shit and the Chorfs abandoned the narrative that the Hugos represented All of Fandom, they started telling Wrongfan that we should go start our own awards. Inevitably somebody said okay.
    So along comes an a new big fan award, from a giant thriving convention, so there can be an actual fan award representing all of fandom again. Then the nominees, shockingly enough, featured a bunch of popular things that fans like. Most people rejoiced, while Chorfs got butt hurt, because they hate when people have fun wrong.

Only in the mind of a social justice addled io9 writer could this all new award filling the void left by the old award floundering its way into snooty oblivion, turn into “bridging the gap” and “a compromise between various factions of fandom”. No, idiots. It is a fan award. Enthusiastic fans rallied around stuff they loved. DragonCon realizes this, and DragonCon embraced the fun.

But Beth Elderkin of io9 does not Embrace The Fun

Beth Elderkin EDIT: I was given a screen shot of Beth, the author of the io9 piece saying this, but was unaware in context she was answering another poster named CoSineBlue.

8/13/16 2:29pm

Can’t these stupid puppy assholes be euthanized or something like unclaimed strays at the pound?

Judging by that post, Beth is angling for a position in the SMOFen SS under Reichsfurher Nielsen-Hayden. My suggestion to Beth is that if she wants to euthanize us, she’d best bring lots of friends.

The Dragon Awards are open to ALL fans. You can go here to sign up to vote: http://awards.dragoncon.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdofmoYcJNE

edit: Just noticed Larry didn't bother to congratulate the ladies running this year's Sad Puppies campaign. Classy guy.

Harry Dresden on