As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hugo Awards 2016 and beyond

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    And the winners are...
    Best Novel

The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin (Orbit Books)
    All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor Books / Titan Books)
    A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager US)
    Death’s End by Cixin Liu (Tor Books / Head of Zeus)
    Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris Books)
    Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer (Tor Books)

Best Novella

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing)
    The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle (Tor.com Publishing)
    The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson (Tor.com Publishing)
    Penric and the Shaman by Lois McMaster Bujold (Spectrum Literary Agency)
    A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson (Tor.com Publishing)
    This Census-Taker by China Miéville (Del Rey / Picador)

Best Novelette

“The Tomato Thief” by Ursula Vernon (Apex Magazine, January 2016)
    Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex by Stix Hiscock (self-published)
    “The Art of Space Travel” by Nina Allan (Tor.com, July 2016)
    “The Jewel and Her Lapidary” by Fran Wilde (Tor.com Publishing, May 2016)
    “Touring with the Alien” by Carolyn Ives Gilman (Clarkesworld Magazine, April 2016)
    “You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay” by Alyssa Wong (Uncanny Magazine, May 2016)

Best Short Story

“Seasons of Glass and Iron” by Amal El-Mohtar (The Starlit Wood: New Fairy Tales, Saga Press)

“The City Born Great” by N. K. Jemisin (Tor.com, September 2016)
    “A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers” by Alyssa Wong (Tor.com, March 2016)
    “Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies” by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine, November 2016)
    “That Game We Played During the War” by Carrie Vaughn (Tor.com, March 2016)
    “An Unimaginable Light” by John C. Wright (God, Robot, Castalia House)

Best Related Work

Words Are My Matter: Writings About Life and Books, 2000-2016 by Ursula K. Le Guin (Small Beer)
    The Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley (Tor Books)
    The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher (Blue Rider Press)
    Traveler of Worlds: Conversations with Robert Silverberg by Robert Silverberg and Alvaro Zinos-Amaro (Fairwood)
    The View From the Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman (William Morrow / Harper Collins)
    “The Women of Harry Potter” posts by Sarah Gailey (Tor.com)

Best Graphic Story

Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening, written by Marjorie Liu, illustrated by Sana Takeda (Image)
    Black Panther, Volume 1: A Nation Under Our Feet, written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, illustrated by Brian Stelfreeze (Marvel)
    Ms. Marvel, Volume 5: Super Famous, written by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Takeshi Miyazawa (Marvel)
    Paper Girls, Volume 1, written by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Cliff Chiang, colored by Matthew Wilson, lettered by Jared Fletcher (Image)
    Saga, Volume 6, illustrated by Fiona Staples, written by Brian K. Vaughan, lettered by Fonografiks (Image)
    The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man, written by Tom King, illustrated by Gabriel Hernandez Walta (Marvel)

Best Dramatic Presentation – Long Form

Arrival, screenplay by Eric Heisserer based on a short story by Ted Chiang, directed by Denis Villeneuve (21 Laps Entertainment/FilmNation Entertainment/Lava Bear Films)
    Deadpool, screenplay by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick, directed by Tim Miller (Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation/Marvel Entertainment/Kinberg Genre/The Donners’ Company/TSG Entertainment)
    Ghostbusters, screenplay by Katie Dippold & Paul Feig, directed by Paul Feig (Columbia Pictures/LStar Capital/Village Roadshow Pictures/Pascal Pictures/Feigco Entertainment/Ghostcorps/The Montecito Picture Company)
    Hidden Figures, screenplay by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi, directed by Theodore Melfi (Fox 2000 Pictures/Chernin Entertainment/Levantine Films/TSG Entertainment)
    Rogue One, screenplay by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy, directed by Gareth Edwards (Lucasfilm/Allison Shearmur Productions/Black Hangar Studios/Stereo D/Walt Disney Pictures)
    Stranger Things, Season One, created by the Duffer Brothers (21 Laps Entertainment/Monkey Massacre)

Best Dramatic Presentation – Short Form

The Expanse: “Leviathan Wakes,” written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, directed by Terry McDonough (SyFy)
    Black Mirror: “San Junipero,” written by Charlie Brooker, directed by Owen Harris (House of Tomorrow)
    Doctor Who: “The Return of Doctor Mysterio,” written by Steven Moffat, directed by Ed Bazalgette (BBC Cymru Wales)
    Game of Thrones: “Battle of the Bastards,” written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, directed by Miguel Sapochnik (HBO)
    Game of Thrones: “The Door,” written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, directed by Jack Bender (HBO)
    Splendor & Misery [album], by Clipping (Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, Jonathan Snipes)

Best Editor – Short Form

Ellen Datlow
    John Joseph Adams
    Neil Clarke
    Jonathan Strahan
    Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas
    Sheila Williams

Best Editor – Long Form

Liz Gorinsky
    Vox Day
    Sheila E. Gilbert
    Devi Pillai
    Miriam Weinberg
    Navah Wolfe

Best Professional Artist

Julie Dillon
    Galen Dara
    Chris McGrath
    Victo Ngai
    John Picacio
    Sana Takeda

Best Semiprozine

Uncanny Magazine, edited by Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas, Michi Trota, Julia Rios, and podcast produced by Erika Ensign & Steven Schapansky
    Beneath Ceaseless Skies, editor-in-chief and publisher Scott H. Andrews
    Cirsova Heroic Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine, edited by P. Alexander
    GigaNotoSaurus, edited by Rashida J. Smith
    Strange Horizons, edited by Niall Harrison, Catherine Krahe, Vajra Chandrasekera, Vanessa Rose Phin, Li Chua, Aishwarya Subramanian, Tim Moore, Anaea Lay, and the Strange Horizons staff
    The Book Smugglers, edited by Ana Grilo and Thea James

Best Fanzine

“Lady Business,” edited by Clare, Ira, Jodie, KJ, Renay, and Susan
    “Castalia House Blog,” edited by Jeffro Johnson
    “Journey Planet,” edited by James Bacon, Chris Garcia, Esther MacCallum-Stewart, Helena Nash, Errick Nunnally, Pádraig Ó Méalóid, Chuck Serface, and Erin Underwood
    “nerds of a feather, flock together,” edited by The G, Vance Kotrla, and Joe Sherry
    “Rocket Stack Rank,” edited by Greg Hullender and Eric Wong
    “SF Bluestocking,” edited by Bridget McKinney

Best Fancast

Tea and Jeopardy, presented by Emma Newman with Peter Newman
    The Coode Street Podcast, presented by Gary K. Wolfe and Jonathan Strahan
    Ditch Diggers, presented by Mur Lafferty and Matt Wallace
    Fangirl Happy Hour, presented by Ana Grilo and Renay Williams
    Galactic Suburbia, presented by Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce and Tansy Rayner Roberts, produced by Andrew Finch
    The Rageaholic, presented by RazörFist

Best Fan Writer

Abigail Nussbaum
    Mike Glyer
    Jeffro Johnson
    Natalie Luhrs
    Foz Meadows
    Chuck Tingle

Best Fan Artist

Elizabeth Leggett
    Ninni Aalto
    Vesa Lehtimäki
    Likhain (M. Sereno)
    Spring Schoenhuth
    Steve Stiles

Best Series

The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
    The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone (Tor Books)
    The Expanse by James S.A. Corey (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
    The October Daye Books by Seanan McGuire (DAW / Corsair)
    The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch (Gollancz / Del Rey / DAW / Subterranean)
    The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Harper Voyager UK)

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer

Ada Palmer (1st year of eligibility)
    Sarah Gailey (2nd year of eligibility)
    J. Mulrooney (1st year of eligibility)
    Malka Older (2nd year of eligibility)
    Laurie Penny (2nd year of eligibility)
    Kelly Robson (2nd year of eligibility)

I would have probably gone with Close and Common Orbit in the novel category myself but all three of the ones I'd read were very close. Should work on tracking down the other two and getting up to Death's End in that series.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I didn't know This Census-Taker was up. That was a weird interesting novella that suffers from the typical China Mieville problem where he creates an interesting world and refuses to do much interesting with it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Damn what a good year.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Every Nominee got applause, Some got more, others got little less.

When Castalia house blog was announced only single person was clapping :smile:

Very nice ceremony overall.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I'm so happy that Ursula Vernon won. I have a personal connection to her. She was one of my wife's favorite authors, and when my wife had cancer, Ursula Vernon sent her an advance copy of her latest book before it was published so she could read it. When my wife died, I thanked Ursula Vernon for the happiness that my wife had from her writing and works, and she wrote back to me a personal and heartfelt e-mail expressing her condolences and what she remembered of my wife.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm still working on my booklog, so I'm behind on new stuff. What books were we rooting for? Did the Puppies have any picks, or have they given up on the Hugos by now?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    they mostly gave up, the Dragon Awards are where it's at if you want jury rigging.

EPH did most of its magic in the nomination stage, though it's very interesting to see how it does penalize having a balanced (5-item per line) ballot versus stuffing the ballot box for a single candidate. So, essentially, it still enables slating but it prevents the volume breakage that was occurring pre-EPH but it also has some interesting near-misses as a result of the point system. I don't have the results links handy but I'm sure they're on the http://worldcon.fi hugo page by now.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm still not sure how arrival won in the first place. Much less against stiff competition like that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Arrival won with huge margin. It had almost 50% voteshare in each round of elimination and finally got over the threshold when there was still 2 other nominees left in running.

My favourite part of the hugos:
    When Ursula Vernon won She didn't give us a speech. Instead she told us a short story about a Dead whale and how entire ecosystem would spring around them in the following days, weeks and years.

Also her story "the Tomato Thief" was awesome, but we all knew that, right?

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm still not sure how arrival won in the first place. Much less against stiff competition like that

The film may have helped.

• Options
    Movie getting published might have influenced movies changes to win, yes.

It won against Hidden figures, Star wars, Stranger Things season 1, Deadpool and Ghostbusters.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    There is a strong affinity within the SFF fandom community for "one of our own" that I think influenced voting there. Ted Chiang is well-known and liked within sff fandom and I don't doubt it played a role. Why give a Hugo to a blockbuster that isn't even going to register the win, when you could give it to someone you know who has worked really hard for what they have? It's a flawed logic but I find it endearing.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    Arrival won with huge margin. It had almost 50% voteshare in each round of elimination and finally got over the threshold when there was still 2 other nominees left in running.

My favourite part of the hugos:
    When Ursula Vernon won She didn't give us a speech. Instead she told us a short story about a Dead whale and how entire ecosystem would spring around them in the following days, weeks and years.

Also her story "the Tomato Thief" was awesome, but we all knew that, right?

If anyone hasn't read it, "The Tomato Thief" is available free online to read. It's well worth your time.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So, one of the Puppies, Jon Del Arroz, announced that announced that he would be taping private events at the next Worldcon in contravention of the Code of Conduct.

Except that he won't, as his attending membership has been revoked in light of his statement.

The Puppies are vowing to boycott the Worldcon in solidarity, apparently unaware that this is basically throwing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Is his name really Jon of Rice

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    stop_dont_come_back_willy_wonka.gif

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Is his name really Jon of Rice

It was. Now it's John Del Rabieta

• Options
    edited January 2018
    What amazes me are all the usual suspects coming out of the woodwork crying "tyranny!" over a con telling a known harasser that based on public statements that he intended to breach the con's code of conduct that he is not welcome. This comment really sums it up:
    I think it's telling, in a revealing their hand sort of way, that the varied defenders of Del Arroz, like the defenders of so many assholes, seem to root their arguments in a sort of CSI level parody of legalism.

Del Arroz stated that he was going to come to the con, stir shit up, make trouble, piss people off, engage in "hijinks", and generally cause problems. When someone tells you that they intend to visit your party with the intent of causing problems the proper response is exactly what the con staff did: you tell them they aren't welcome at your party.

But to the defenders of the assholes that is horrible and wrong and Nazilike. How dare we assume that just because Del Arroz said he was going to Worldcon specifically to cause problems and make trouble that he was actually going to cause problems and make trouble! We must permit him to attend and allow him to cause problems and make trouble before there's even a possible justification for asking him to leave.

And, of course, if the Worldcon staff was foolish enough to follow the prescriptions of the defenders of assholedom and permitted Del Arroz to actually show up and cause trouble then the real fun would start. Because then the defender of assholedom could engage in their favorite sport of all: lawyering, victim blaming, and nit picking. Was his offense **REALLY** bad enough to merit a ban from the con? The people accusing him of impropriety are no angels and do we really know all the details? Perhaps, maybe, some hyper sensitive hysterical people might have simply Del Arroz's sense of humor and anyway they just hate him because of his politics. He didn't **REALLY** do anything so wrong, and he spent money to attend so it would be deeply wrong to ask him to leave now. And anyway why are you worried about his alleged misbehavior don't you have more important things to be fussing over?

We've seen it dozens of times before.

So yay Worldcon for dealing with threats of being an asshole by banning Del Arroz. When someone says "oh, hey, I see you've got a party planned, I'm going to show up and make everyone miserable by acting like as big an asshole as I possibly can" then the proper course of action is to tell the asshole that he's not invited to the party.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    he's also currently campaigning for admission into SFWA, publicly, which is bizarre since:
    --the application process for SFWA is a pretty painless form, which no one needs to do publicly
    --he's expressly declared intent to do harm to the organization publicly

He's also been expelled from Codex, a private neopro writers' forum, which he also joined with the express intent to do harm and it was sooo shocking when he, um, did

As far as I can tell, even Ted "I Can't Believe I Ate the Third Billy Goat Gruff" Beale seems to find the guy a little extra

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Oh, he doesn't want to actually be part of it.
    He wants to be very very visibly campaigning for and/or blackballed from it.
    Because he's an asshole.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, Ellen Datlow won Best Editor!

I don't have the kind of story Hahnsoo has, but Ellen has put together two of my favorite anthologies (Lovecraft Unbound and Children of Lovecraft), both of which were the only two books I could fit in my suitcase when I started my postdoc, and were the only real entertainment and company I had when finishing my dissertation and trying to get my postdoc work started.

I recommend everyone pick those two up, in celebration!

• Options
    Rise from your grave with the power of new nominees!

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2018-hugo-awards/

I've read 4 of the six for novel and, uhm, don't ask me to choose. I suspect it is Jemisin's to lose but I really like Scalzi/Lee/Leckie entries as well though they're all very different. I have to track down the other two at some point as there is rarely a dog among them.

Looking at the TOTP I finally read All The Birds In the Sky and that was impressive. It is modern day magicy way that feels very different from other works and somehow retains some fairy tale feel to me. I deserved to hang in the crowd from last year. Still need to read Too Like the Lightning but it is waiting on my Kindle.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    For me it's Stone Sky by leaps and bounds. That is one mother of a good trilogy, and I greatly enjoyed how she tied it all up.

Collapsing Empire was a lot of fun and super readable, but I'm not sure it broke any new ground for Scalzi. New York 2140 bored me to tears. I know you aren't supposed to say that about a Kim Stanley Robinson book, but...eh. I haven't read the other 3 and only know Leckie's by name (which I think I'll get around to reading, but I really didn't get hooked by Ancillary at all when I tried Leckie the first time around).

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I enjoy the Ancillary trilogy, but the first book does take quite a while to get going.

And, to be honest, I mostly enjoy them because I like characters being stiffly polite to each other all the time. It's the kind of dialogue I like reading.

There's also some stuff about AI personhood, I guess, but that doesn't compare to people chatting with each other over tea.

• Options
    This year's nomination list is packed with colleagues and friends of mine so I'm exceedingly biased. (my Viable Paradise roommate is KM Szpara, with the excellent novelette "Small Changes Over Long Periods of Time", for example.)

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I enjoy the Ancillary trilogy, but the first book does take quite a while to get going.

And, to be honest, I mostly enjoy them because I like characters being stiffly polite to each other all the time. It's the kind of dialogue I like reading.

There's also some stuff about AI personhood, I guess, but that doesn't compare to people chatting with each other over tea.

It’s hard to settle into just what kind of novels they are - drawing room political drama. The opening has a lot to do with it. It’s a thriller opening that slows down to a story about family relations and warfare over a cup of tea, and it takes a long while before you realize that the quiet interlude is actually the tone of the books.

• Options

It’s hard to settle into just what kind of novels they are - drawing room political drama. The opening has a lot to do with it. It’s a thriller opening that slows down to a story about family relations and warfare over a cup of tea, and it takes a long while before you realize that the quiet interlude is actually the tone of the books.

Provenance is a lot more clear a lot sooner about what it is. It still has some action-y bits but they're usually after a long period of discussion. That reminds me of 70's science fiction in a way.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I didnt know KSR had another book out! To the library

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I am mildly disappointed that Jon Bois didn't get nominated in something. A lot of people were voting for him, but I wonder if the votes were so scattershot into various categories that none of them were enough to get 17776 a nod.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Whelp, more fuckery for the thread. Worldcon2018 is doing a shit job of inclusivity and generally fucking things up. The chair seems to realize they've massively fucked it up but expect to see more on this front.

Edit: This should lead you down the rabbit whole if you're so inclined:

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Yeah looks like they're shitting the bed on multiple fronts this year

Like telling people who were literally voted as nominees by the community they're not popular enough to be part programming

• Options
    Whelp, more fuckery for the thread. Worldcon2018 is doing a shit job of inclusivity and generally fucking things up. The chair seems to realize they've massively fucked it up but expect to see more on this front.

Edit: This should lead you down the rabbit whole if you're so inclined:

This is not a situation where the the chair apologizes. This is a situation where the chair metaphorically falls on their sword, because it is the right thing to do. They really fucked things up, and it's becoming clear that rules need to be in place to make sure that this shit does not happen again.

• Options
    To be fair to him, Kevin Roche (the chair) started that process of identifying where things went wrong with some of the bios immediately after apologizing. I think the complaints about somebody going public with it were from someone else in the organization. As for calling for them stepping down, well I suppose that entirely depends on who would take their place. If it is one of the local folks who went and did these errors that won't really help things.

On the brighter side there are a bunch of authors on twitter who were put on panels freely offering the spots up to those nominees who were slighted. The community does not appear to be down with these shenanigans at all.

• Options
    Who is Amal El-Mohtar?

• Options
    Author who won the Hugo/Nebula last year for short story. Also a NY Times Book Review writer.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Next up (thread):

So that seems like a fairly big climb down and "We fucked up". Obviously what happens next is more important but this is a way better reaction than you'd normally get.

Worldcon2018 is the twitter for Worldcon, the con where Hugos get awarded and who had fucked up pretty hard recently.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    if anyone needs or wants more context for what actually went down, a ton of the affected people are friends and colleagues of mine and I can steer you through some of the twitter maze. I don't want to get into a lot of it as some of it is not public knowledge but the stuff that IS public knowledge is ... already like, A Lot.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Author who won the Hugo/Nebula last year for short story. Also a NY Times Book Review writer.

I think this was the award-winning story, Seasons of Glass and Iron: https://uncannymagazine.com/article/seasons-glass-iron/
    and here's a really inspiring speech she gave at WisCon, and posted recently in response to this hubbub: https://d.rip/amal-el-mohtar/posts/RHJvcFBvc3QtMzY1NA==

I found both really moving <3

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    if anyone needs or wants more context for what actually went down, a ton of the affected people are friends and colleagues of mine and I can steer you through some of the twitter maze. I don't want to get into a lot of it as some of it is not public knowledge but the stuff that IS public knowledge is ... already like, A Lot.

How are people feeling about the walk-back and apology?

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

How are people feeling about the walk-back and apology?

so some of it is inside baseball I can't talk about; I will say that in general the spirit of the apology is being interpreted as a good-faith gesture but that the actions of the concom are still pretty heinous and are not, in general, being interpreted as good-faith. Additionally, there is still the added stress of trolling, which pushes a lot of the onus of mitigating the wrongness onto... the people who were wronged in the first place, which is incredibly stressful.

Really the most irritating part of this is the amount of extra work it's putting on the Hugo nominees when it really should be their event to enjoy and not stress out about (beyond the already stressful "what if I win" and "what if I don't")

They're supposedly tearing the entire programming package down to the studs and redoing it, most likely based on a series of tweets from writers like Mary Robinette Kowal (who runs an amazingly tight ship with the Nebulas programming track, but that's a much tighter career-forward program so it will be interesting to see how it translates to the several-thousand-member Worldcon model)

There are some people who are also discussing the potentiality of counterprogramming but I think that might need time to settle out considering that they're tearing it down and starting over less than a month from the con.