As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mean Streets of Gadgetzan out now![Hearthstone]

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    id be interested to see if anyone could take a value basic deck to legend post brm

my guess is no, you NEED shit like belchers/thaurissan

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    If you're a new player you are pretty fucked if you want to jump straight in to constructed
    I really hope they consider a Magic-style of formats so there isn't this huge investment required to be competitive.

If prefer they just slowly start giving cards away for free

Like say once the next set is out, all of the original set is added to everyone's inventory (maybe leave out the legendaries)

My card game of choice is yugioh do I like the use of an ever growing pool of cards that let you fittings like combine new releases with old stuff to discover viable strategies that didn't exist before

original pokemon tcg was my jam, bullshit coinflips notwithstanding

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with just a cost reduction of basic packs/old adventures

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

This would be nice. I am not interested in paying $50 for the adventures.

But to be fair I'm not really interested in paying any money at all into the game.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    id be interested to see if anyone could take a value basic deck to legend post brm

my guess is no, you NEED shit like belchers/thaurissan

Was that ever done? All the f2p legend runs trump and others did included expert (now "classic") cards imo.

• JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    If you're a new player you are pretty fucked if you want to jump straight in to constructed
    I really hope they consider a Magic-style of formats so there isn't this huge investment required to be competitive.

Like say once the next set is out, all of the original set is added to everyone's inventory (maybe leave out the legendaries)

My card game of choice is yugioh do I like the use of an ever growing pool of cards that let you fittings like combine new releases with old stuff to discover viable strategies that didn't exist before

The biggest problem they need to address is that a new person playing Arena to build up a card base is only going to see GvG packs, which makes it really annoying to set aside money to buy vanilla packs and fill out that set. Arena should just give you a "Booster Pack Token" or something so you can pick which pack you want.

On your larger point; the game making money is predicated on selling packs, adventures, and Arena runs, all of which can already be obtained for free with enough elbow grease. It doesn't make any sense for them to give away a complete set just because a new set has released. Yugioh doesn't do this either AFAIK so I don't get why this comparison is relevant.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    JohnHam wrote: »

The biggest problem they need to address is that a new person playing Arena to build up a card base is only going to see GvG packs, which makes it really annoying to set aside money to buy vanilla packs and fill out that set. Arena should just give you a "Booster Pack Token" or something so you can pick which pack you want.

On your larger point; the game making money is predicated on selling packs, adventures, and Arena runs, all of which can already be obtained for free with enough elbow grease. It doesn't make any sense for them to give away a complete set just because a new set has released. Yugioh doesn't do this either AFAIK so I don't get why this comparison is relevant.

I only brought up yugioh as a reference to keeping the format such that you can always use all cards, instead of the magic system where old cards are constantly being rendered obsolete

At some point giving away old cards starts to make sense as a way to bring in new players, who will still have to buy newer cards and provide revenue. The alternative is to make the cost of entry higher with every new set, which at some point is going to start intimidating prospective players from getting into the game.

Speed Racer on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Cleared the new wing of BRM and the class challenges. Got golden Hogger for my troubles.

Time to disenchant for Sylvanas I guess.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    oh new wing?!
    how did I miss dis

I pay for the adventures because I really enjoy Hearthstone.

I made a mech rush rogue deck and its hilarious and for a while on the ladder no one knew how to respond to it. You could feel the hesitation and watch the highlighting of icons.

Let my robots growwwww!
    1115417-powerranger44_super.jpg

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Also encountered my first gang up mill rogue.
    I figured out fast enough what she was doing and put enough cards out to prevent the majority of fatigue damage.
    But yeah if you don't move quick on that they stomp late game.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Beasteh I downloaded the Pokemon TCG app on my iPad and have been very tempted for some reason

Haymaker

YL9WnCY.png
    With different formats you would have a mainstream "competitive format" that uses the most recent releases, and then there are formats like a legacy one where the card pool is basically every card ever made.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

But to be fair I'm not really interested in paying any money at all into the game.

Then don't expect to win much PvP. Hearthstone is neat and all but it is clearly designed to be a cash cow and it has been a very successful one at that.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    @Beasteh I downloaded the Pokemon TCG app on my iPad and have been very tempted for some reason

Haymaker

wigglymaker was the pro shit

also promo mewtwo

do the wave! for 6 on turn 2

blizzard needs to figure out the optimal level of f2p, because i seriously don't see how anyone would want to get into the current design with f2p in mind

i got a friend hooked and he spent $100 bucks on cards and naxxramas over this past week and like jesus shit

Butters wrote: »

Then don't expect to win much PvP. Hearthstone is neat and all but it is clearly designed to be a cash cow and it has been a very successful one at that.

Do your dailies in casual or low ranking matches, save up for an arena run and then do it

If you get good at drafting that becomes a self sustaining way of getting packs and dust

i've only ever bought the solo adventures and packs with a gift card my girlfriend's dad gave me cause he also plays hearthstone (and i win against him every game), but it's still been quite a hastle going with just a pack a day basically

the thing about Arena though is that the chances of actually getting a self-sustaining run are pretty low. I think the average is like 3 - 5 wins.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Do your dailies in casual or low ranking matches, save up for an arena run and then do it

If you get good at drafting that becomes a self sustaining way of getting packs and dust

you heard it here new players, just spend 7 months getting the shit kicked out of you to build up the skill to go infinite at draft if you want to be competitive in ladder

liEt3nH.png

you heard it here new players, just spend 7 months getting the shit kicked out of you to build up the skill to go infinite at draft if you want to be competitive in ladder

who gives a shit about being competitive in ladder

you're not gonna be the next trump

there is a clear path in the game to collect cards at a steady pace, for free, that primarily involves playing the mode that equalizes everyone's cardpool

like you don't even need to be good enough to sustain your arena runs purely with arena runs

slamming out 3-5 victories is trivial, between your dailies and your arena runs you can easily manage to get a pack a day without spending a dime

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    It's mathematically impossible for more than 3 victories to be trivial for everybody
    Doable if you're pretty good, though

To me the best way to play free is to build up 3 quests that you can do simultaneously in 3-5 wins, and run through those wins in Ranked with a cheap netdeck. Then wait a few days. It won't let you spend all day Hearthstoning, or get you past rank 10, but it's the best rate of gold per hour spent. Arena is fun but it takes forever, and consistently winning 7 games to "go infinite" is tough when the game decides you get no card advantage picks this run.

mkc.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

who gives a shit about being competitive in ladder

you're not gonna be the next trump
    it's very achievable to be as good as trump in constructed

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    i have a 1-0 record against trump and this is my greatest hearthstone claim to fame

liEt3nH.png
    hafu has a 100% winrate against me tho

liEt3nH.png
    It's less "You need X cards to win in this game" and more "A lot of dailies require you win X games on a class you never play or have crafted key cards for" so you're on like hour two of trying to win a goddamn game with some cobbled-together zoo deck.

YL9WnCY.png

Haymaker

wigglymaker was the pro shit

also promo mewtwo

do the wave! for 6 on turn 2
    Mewtwo stall against annoying kids because deep down you're a Bad Person.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I made a slow-ass raindance pokemon deck on lackey once that would reach a critical point where it would deal 200 damage a turn, heal to full and cure any conditions, and even if a creature died it wouldn't have any energy on it.

Most of my time on that program was spent jhonnying it up bigtime

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I was doing arena as Paladin against a Priest. I got him down to 5 hp by turn 2. Then he started healing himself and got a ton of minions out and he was up to 12 when he killed me.

Fuckin....damn it.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I can usually go 3 or 4 in arena before losing a ton. I'm aiming to try and get 6!

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    True silver champion and flame strike in arenas can go butt off

• worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    Is there a class with spells or maybe even neutral cards that let you dig through your deck for useful shit? Less RNG is always nice.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Is there a class with spells or maybe even neutral cards that let you dig through your deck for useful shit? Less RNG is always nice.

go to your collection and search for cards with the "draw" keyword

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote: »

he means stuff like in magic that lets you search your deck for cards

which, no, nothing in hearthstone has that

doesn't really need that given that decks are only 30 cards.

switched up the medievhal mage deck for a more flamewaker, low-mana oriented deck

this should be interesting against all the rogues hitting the meta now

Balefuego wrote: »

he means stuff like in magic that lets you search your deck for cards

which, no, nothing in hearthstone has that

doesn't really need that given that decks are only 30 cards.

well Hunter has tracking but yeah that would be the only thing even close to that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and there's stuff like sense demons for warlock I guess but I cant imagine a deck where that card would be worthwhile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    it's amazing how everytime i look at making a lock deck, it's just nothing but warlock cards

they're just all so good...

Oghulk wrote: »
    it's amazing how everytime i look at making a lock deck, it's just nothing but warlock cards

they're just all so good...

disagree button

liEt3nH.png