As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Wearing the Professor Genki line, I see.

godDAMMIT

can't unsee

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    They should have made the Quarians look like the Vortigaunt. They were like, 75% there already.

sig.gif
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    To me, Tali will always look like this:
    KnP5odu.jpg

"I see everything twice!"

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    All the way up until the reveal, I had assumed the Quarians just looked like Geth. Just imagine that skinny geth head/neck combo thing in organic form. Like a space ant eater. Or like the Selkath from Star Wars, just slim down the head a lot and remove the dangling bits, that's pretty much exactly what I thought was under there.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just a quick comment about Mass Effect related news:

pcgamer.com/mass-effect-lead-writer-drew-karpyshyn-returns-to-bioware/

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Anticipating the speculation on the reasons for his return, he said he's not going back to start work on a new project. "The short answer: no," he continued. "I originally came to the Austin studio many years ago to work on SWTOR and—at least for now—that's what I’m focusing on again."

So maybe he'll have input on Andromeda, but that's not what his job is right now. They've also been working on Andromeda for a few years now. I'd hope that they'd most of the writing nailed down by this point.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Anticipating the speculation on the reasons for his return, he said he's not going back to start work on a new project. "The short answer: no," he continued. "I originally came to the Austin studio many years ago to work on SWTOR and—at least for now—that's what I’m focusing on again."

So maybe he'll have input on Andromeda, but that's not what his job is right now. They've also been working on Andromeda for a few years now. I'd hope that they'd most of the writing nailed down by this point.

I read that, too. But it's also mentioned (on the GamesRadar article on that announcement) that the wording was pretty specific in calling out that he's not working on a "new project". Technically speaking, since Andromeda was announced, it's not exactly "new". But yeah, I would hope that the writing is done...but with the Mass Effect games, story rewrites aren't completely unusual.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I romanced Tali because of who she was, not because of what she looked like under the helmet.

Which, as we know, is a spider colony.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Why did no one tell me that Mass Effect minimates are a thing?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321755188013?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    So I played through Mass Effect 1 via the Xbone backwards compatibility preview, and I was surprised to notice a couple of story changes from my first playthrough way back in the day before I had the 360 hooked up to the internets.

2 specific things jumped out at me.

1)Harkin doesn't have his alternate story any more. Basically, if you talked to Anderson after you get dissed by the council the first time, you can find out that he knows Harkin already, and worked with him before, and Anderson gives a more positive assessment of Harkin than you've heard from others. Then when Harkin asks you if Anderson told you about him, you get the option to say "yes", and if you do, it comes out that Harkin was actually clean, and all the corruption stuff and complaints were just racism against him as the first human C-Sec officer. Given what they did with him in ME2 re: Garrus, retconning this away makes sense, but also kinda feels like it closes something interesting off about perception vs. reality and the struggles of trailblazers.

2)Sha'ira could originally be convinced into admitting that she is the shadow broker, this, again, clearly got retconned due to what they did with Liara in ME2, and kind of explains why she started as this big deal, then just kinda straight up disappeared from the story. Given how amazing Lair of the Shadow Broker was, I'm pretty ok with this one.

Anyone else have a good notice about story elements that got retconned away or chagned in patches? Always wondered if there were other changes like this that I missed.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    So I played through Mass Effect 1 via the Xbone backwards compatibility preview, and I was surprised to notice a couple of story changes from my first playthrough way back in the day before I had the 360 hooked up to the internets.

2 specific things jumped out at me.

1)Harkin doesn't have his alternate story any more. Basically, if you talked to Anderson after you get dissed by the council the first time, you can find out that he knows Harkin already, and worked with him before, and Anderson gives a more positive assessment of Harkin than you've heard from others. Then when Harkin asks you if Anderson told you about him, you get the option to say "yes", and if you do, it comes out that Harkin was actually clean, and all the corruption stuff and complaints were just racism against him as the first human C-Sec officer. Given what they did with him in ME2 re: Garrus, retconning this away makes sense, but also kinda feels like it closes something interesting off about perception vs. reality and the struggles of trailblazers.

2)Sha'ira could originally be convinced into admitting that she is the shadow broker, this, again, clearly got retconned due to what they did with Liara in ME2, and kind of explains why she started as this big deal, then just kinda straight up disappeared from the story. Given how amazing Lair of the Shadow Broker was, I'm pretty ok with this one.

Anyone else have a good notice about story elements that got retconned away or chagned in patches? Always wondered if there were other changes like this that I missed.

I remember the first example, but it always struck me as Harkin lying through his teeth

The second one... I have zero recollection of that, from anyone who played the game. Is that really true?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I don't recall either of those, but I would like to know more

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Yeah I thought I went through all the Consort dialogues, even the cringing sex scene, and I never got that.

And I can't even find any reference to it on Google either.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Sha'ira was never hinted at being the Shadow Broker, she was more prone to keep secrets than to trade them. She's ousted in ME2 because of the stuff with the Turian Admiral regardless though.

sig.gif
  • morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, Sha'ira was never hinted at being the Shadow Broker, she was more prone to keep secrets than to trade them. She's ousted in ME2 because of the stuff with the Turian Admiral regardless though.

There is still, in the updated version, a conversation line where she DENIES being the shadow broker. Like I said, you have to go back to the original first run discs and then never connect to the internet with them to find this stuff.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Very, very interesting.

Anyone else have an OG 360 disc?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Very, very interesting.

Anyone else have an OG 360 disc?

I do but of course I have played it while connected to XBL. I wonder if they snuck the dialogue changes into a patch?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the 360 only keeps a certain number of patches up at a time, so if you haven't played it for a while, you should be able to play it unpatched

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

*long drag*

i can HEAR it

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    so apparently mass effect is going to be a ride?

http://kotaku.com/mass-effect-gets-its-own-theme-park-ride-1733751728

if it's not called Mass Effect: Vanguard and it doesn't make me vomit continuously then i don't want any part in it

RxI0N.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I should go.

We should all go.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I should go.

We should all go.

We will ride because they allow it.

The ride will end because they demand it.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    California though... bleh. That's too far away... build the ride in Orlando! Or just put it in my backyard. I'll ride it everyday.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I should go.

We should all go.

We will ride because they allow it.

The ride will end because they demand it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Coach's best dialogue is in the amusement park. I expect nothing less from Bioware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTvorGCLywU

"Cotton Candy, the wise pharaoh of foods, sitting on top of the pyramid laying down judgment on all lesser foods."

Fairchild on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    So...

What's this I hear about a new Mass Effect?

Sorry, just got back :P

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Shepard ran out of things to bang in this galaxy. Only one thing to do.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Don't worry, you still have over a year to catch up...

/sigh

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm currently taking part in a ME PnP game based on White Wolf rules that my friend put together (though it is being run by a different friend).
    It starts out on Omega. One of the guys playing is for some reason playing a noir-style private investigator.
    In our first session the other week, he said "For one of my rank 1underworld contacts, I want it to be a guy named Jimmy Two-Eyes"
    Other friend goes "Two-Eyes? That's not a very distinguishing nickname."
    I chip in "Well, you see, he's a Batarian..."

So now Jimmy Two-Eyes, the Batarian criminal informant is canon in our game.

steam_sig.png
    Highlights from this week's session:
    "Jimmy Two-Eyes ain't seen nuthin'!"

(The PI character is named Dix McCutcheon)
    "Old Dix goes in and out with no one the wiser."

"We might be past the point of subtlety now, but I'm still going to activate my cloak before climbing through so we don't entirely throw the idea of stealth out the window."
    "You just cloaked before climbing through a window. That's the literal definition of stealth out the window."

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2015
    made these over the weekend

ZB9qByc.jpg?1

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

ZB9qByc.jpg?1

You should hold one of these off to the side when your friends have to make important life choices.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

ZB9qByc.jpg?1

You should hold one of these off to the side when your friends have to make important life choices.

I'm imagining a dramatic breakup, and just as the most critical line is said, there's curly haired boy holding out two signs on either side behind the person they're talking to.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited October 2015

ZB9qByc.jpg?1

I'm imagining a dramatic breakup, and just as the most critical line is said, there's curly haired boy holding out two signs on either side behind the person they're talking to.

'this conversation is ove-'

alternately

*hug tali*

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Courtesy of our GM.
    uem0zdun3xlj.png

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.