As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I still don't get why people seem to dislike the green ending so much. I mean, it makes perfect sense considering everything we learn about the history of galaxy. The Reapers treating the Milky Way like a science experiment by controlling all life and technological development, for a really long time, would arguably have a certain homogenizing effect on the galaxy. From there it isn't that big a leap to assume that most of, if not all, life in the galaxy could be uniformly modified. Hell, every species seems to be compatible with Reaper tech already, otherwise there wouldn't be so many abominations running around.

I don't see something that is overly space magic or hand waved. I see a logical conclusion to the story we've been told. Still, God Shep is metal and fuck anyone who killed EDI or the geth.

"I see everything twice!"

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I could link so many vids on why the green and blue endings are the wrong choice.

We don't want to get back into the RGB ending discussions do we? That eats up so many pages.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    #TheReapersDidNothingWrong

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Uh oh, shots fired in the Mass Effect Thread. We need Tali sweat discussion at my location ASAP!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This calls for

tumblr_m9m0nyosvr1ru5hgmo1_500.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    yeah, posts about the ending - at this point - are fine

pages and pages of discussion about it, retreading the same ground - a little less fine

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    The only redeeming feature of Kai Leng: the dulcet tones of Troy Baker's voice.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    yeah, posts about the ending - at this point - are fine

pages and pages of discussion about it, retreading the same ground - a little less fine
    I apologize in advance if that actually happens. Have we heard any more news about ME4?

"I see everything twice!"

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    we're still in the 'lots of speculation from everyone' phase, but the latest rumors are in the OP ;)

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Legion's death is story-required as well, though you can kill it yourself (by choosing stupid the Quarians) if you really want to.

Legion didn't die

Legion lives on in the Geth themselves

you filthy roboheathen

Until you fry him with a beautiful wave of red.

Sorry bro, but it was for the good of the galaxy.

The good of the galaxy would seem to be best served by preserving the knowledge and memory of the civilizations that came before the current cycle. Which is only accomplished through Synthesis.

Yeah, it sucks that it's such a magical cop-out of an ending, but at least it relies on seemingly impossible technology like 9,000 other things in Mass Effect, rather than presenting two choices that are anathema to most people's Shepard persona established over the course of three games. That's easier to fix with additional exposition than "Genocide is kind of Shepard's thing" or "Shepard runs with the Illusive Man's idea."

Meh, I picked the red ending on my first playthrough, and it felt justified to me. Especially when I thought about the Synthesis ending, and my Shepard's first thought was "so I give them sentience, what if they just choose to kill us anyway?" and proceeded to blow everything up.

Though considering in the red ending Shepard can survive anyway, I question how powerful the red wave is at killing things that aren't 100% robotic.

But yeah, endings be endings. My final memory of the game will always be Citadel, which made me super happy.

And all of my allies really sad, because Citadel became the Wrex and Shepard reunion tour. Everyone else was fighting for the third opening.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    This calls for

tumblr_m9m0nyosvr1ru5hgmo1_500.jpg

Mass Effect 4: The Kai Leng story.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    The only redeeming feature of Kai Leng: the dulcet tones of Troy Baker's voice.

As much as I hate Kai Leng

And oh man do I fucking hate Kai Leng

I have to give him credit

His entire purpose was to troll the player and no actual troll has even gotten me so angry that I literally had to step away from the computer because the urge to put my fist, my keyboard, my mouse, the lamp on my desk and anything else handy through my monitor had suddenly arisen to a degree that I was afraid I might actually do it

All because of the Thessia encounter.

And then that email.

that fucking email

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I don't get it.
    He was a nothing to me.
    I barely remember him.
    He didn't even make an impression.
    The only reason I even know he is a thing is all these people raging about a character that I thought was kind of a dweeb.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I don't get it.
    He was a nothing to me.
    I barely remember him.
    He didn't even make an impression.
    The only reason I even know he is a thing is all these people raging about a character that I thought was kind of a dweeb.

I played as an infiltrator

plot armor that rendered my black widow useless rubbed me the wrong way

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    yea, successive 50gram mass accelerated slugs to the dome plot armor.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, he was absolutely trolling the player; even TIM didn't have any faith in him to actually take out Shepard.

His death was so damn satisfying too.

sig.gif
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I thought Kai Leng was a well thought out and deep character whose emotional plight was an oscar worthy mirroring of Walter Huston's performance in "The Devil and Daniel Webster".
    Troll-face.png

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I thought Kai Leng was a well thought out and deep character whose emotional plight was an oscar worthy mirroring of Walter Huston's performance in "The Devil and Daniel Webster".
    Troll-face.png

*reloads Black Widow and takes aim*

*puts away Black Widow and pulls out Valiant for faster triple headshot*

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The synthetics-theme was mostly another story about racial tension, like krogans with salarians and humans with batarians. "These two groups can't get along!" was always trivially true, because nobody gets along.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Im still bumped that nothing was ever really done with the Batarians.

And come to think of it, the Turian-Human tension in the first game was kinda just glossed over in the second.

Both had good plot potential.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Replaying ME2, and I'm using character combos that I hadn't really thought about before. Plus, I'm running Sentinel so there isn't as much need for the squaddies to fill gaps.

Like, Legion and Samara kinda work well together. Or Tali and Zaeed.

sig.gif
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    This thread is kinda making me itch for a tabletop campaign, playing through the plot of 1 as seen in a funhouse mirror.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm really in the mood to replay ME2 lately. That game puts me in such a good mood.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited May 2015
    Which makes the casting of that game as the "dark middle act!" all the more funny.

Cambiata on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Im still bumped that nothing was ever really done with the Batarians.

And come to think of it, the Turian-Human tension in the first game was kinda just glossed over in the second.

Both had good plot potential.

Because it was resolved.

Turians didn't like humans because they didn't think that Humans had the strength and presence to be a primary voice in council space. They compared them to children playing with toys they didn't understand.

But it was a human fleet that took down sovereign, and humans who dedicated most of the manpower to rebuild C-Sec. Humanity proved their place through decisive action, and that's definitely something Turians would respect.

Javen on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, the reasonI chose the green ending on playthrough one was combination of three things:

1. Blue ending meant that TIM was right and no fuck that guy
    2. Red ending meant causing horrific collaterol damage with EDI and the geth (that totally sounds like the name of a garage band btw) as well as the mass relays exploding which I knew from prior DLC takes out whole solar systems (didn't realize at the time that this happens no matter what you do).
    3. Green is nonsensical gibberish.

It's important for me to emphasize just how amazingly incomprehensibly idiotic synthesis is, since it assumes that all the new tron people will just be at peace and any future conflicts won't matter because there are no synthetic or organics anymore but some wierd hybrid. And it also ignores that we can still make more syntehtics, unless of course all matter in the universe has been converted into tron stuff, in which case absolutely everything is now alive and has some base level ethical treatment rights which cause society to grind to a halt because we can't gather resources without hippy's who aren't trying to have babies with their bongs are stonewalling people in the courts.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    His entire purpose was to troll the player and no actual troll has even gotten me so angry that I literally had to step away from the computer because the urge to put my fist, my keyboard, my mouse, the lamp on my desk and anything else handy through my monitor had suddenly arisen to a degree that I was afraid I might actually do it

All because of the Thessia encounter.

And then that email.

that fucking email

Mass Effect 3 spoiler:
    Good. You opened this spoiler. This isn't actually a spoiler about Mass Effect 3 at all, but a revelation about how pathetic plot armor makes you look, Shepard. The trilogy of Shepard's story needs to be rewritten. I hope I'm there for it.

It ends with ur DEATH.

-xXx_aznhellhound_xXx

PS I won lol

s7Imn5J.png
    Kai Leng is just a dumb Sasuke-guy from Boruto.

xXx_Kai_Leng_xXx.jpg

I hope in the far flung future they make a special edition of the game where they edit Kai Leng's signature to match my edit.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    A printed copy of that e-mail is now hanging in the Commander Shepard Museum.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Which makes the casting of that game as the "dark middle act!" all the more funny.

Yeah, I think 2 is the most lighthearted of the bunch. The Collectors just never come across as much of a threat. Even the gut punch in the first scene is due mainly to Dragonball-esque, "The next enemy makes the last enemy look like a chump... need to train harder for 20 episodes!" shenanigans and Shepard just being a hero through and through. The rest? Crazy adventures with a fun crew in a shiny new ship.

3 is dark because even when you win, you lose. But 2? It's basically a space road trip.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    It's the upbeat dark middle act before the downright grim and grueling third act, all following the campy first act. Standard dramatic structure!

s7Imn5J.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I dunno, you're working for freaking cerberus. That's pretty horrifying

steam_sig.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I dunno, you're working for freaking cerberus. That's pretty horrifying

It would be if they weren't presented as being utterly incompetent at everything except bringing Shepard back to life.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I'll be honest, the reasonI chose the green ending on playthrough one was combination of three things:

2. Red ending meant causing horrific collaterol damage with EDI and the geth (that totally sounds like the name of a garage band btw) as well as the mass relays exploding which I knew from prior DLC takes out whole solar systems (didn't realize at the time that this happens no matter what you do).

It's important for me to emphasize just how amazingly incomprehensibly idiotic synthesis is, since it assumes that all the new tron people will just be at peace and any future conflicts won't matter because there are no synthetic or organics anymore but some wierd hybrid. And it also ignores that we can still make more syntehtics, unless of course all matter in the universe has been converted into tron stuff, in which case absolutely everything is now alive and has some base level ethical treatment rights which cause society to grind to a halt because we can't gather resources without hippy's who aren't trying to have babies with their bongs are stonewalling people in the courts.

I thought it was pretty obvious they just wanted a "everybody lives happily ever after" ending for the people who did everything and wanted to be rewarded. I can only imagine the outrage that would have poured out onto BSN if you had had to choose between either Red or Blue. (Possibly just as much outrage as there is on BSN on every other day anyways.)

So who's alt is this?

The reason for the green ending seems simple enough. They made a big deal of it, and blue doesn't adress it much, while red makes people feel bad.
    It shoehorns in a resolution to concerns that synthetics and organics might keep fighting, without the genocide.
    The execution is little more than "no, shut up, it's fine now."

edited May 2015
    @Gaddez Look this way. Eyes on me. Don't look away.

PLA on
    hippofant wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

I thought it was pretty obvious they just wanted a "everybody lives happily ever after" ending for the people who did everything and wanted to be rewarded. I can only imagine the outrage that would have poured out onto BSN if you had had to choose between either Red or Blue. (Possibly just as much outrage as there is on BSN on every other day anyways.)

I always thought PA's criticism of Mass Effect fans who don't like the ending was actually a perfect description of the green ending:

i-dfFJj7N-1050x10000.jpg

Let's turn the reapers into ice cream, because ice cream is good somehow? Look, don't ask too many questions, you've saved the universe, space marine!

Green is weird and awkward because it's a resolution to a problem that a lot of people didn't realize was supposed to be the core theme of the franchise (synthetics vs. organics).

Like, to me the point of ME was always to defeat the reapers who were less an immortal race of sentient starships and more lovecraftian horrors from beyond the stars. As such I didn't see this as a battle between man and machine so much as a confrontation with an unknowable horror that thought nothing of annihilating every sentient race in existence in service to some grandiose plot beyond mortal comprehension.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot who read too much into the gravitas of soverign's being and missed the forest for the trees.

This discussion has been closed.