As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Stealing Hearts & Streams

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There's no way GameStop breaks the street date.

:(

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    IMG_6819.jpg

:D

So psyched! Cannot wait to play this tonight!

That explains the jailing, phantom thief.

(So jelly.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    It is pretty damn close that to my ears I hear no difference and I guarantee you it is WAY closer to the correct pronunciation then whatever that streamer thinks it should be.

Granted, she has a bit American accent when she says it, but I wouldn't knock points off her score for that.

I don't know what to tell you, I've heard it pronounced the "other" way a lot more often.

Whether you've heard it pronounced the other way or not doesn't change the fact that her pronunciation isn't actually an incorrect one and therefore reacting poorly to it is kinda silly. The worst part of it is that streamer acting so strongly to it. Like maybe don't jump to conclusions about a language you don't actually speak!

• Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Uh, she kind of actually pronounces it pretty correctly.

For reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw3ncOfXIGs

So basically people getting pissed because she's not saying it the way we gaijin are used to saying it.

giphy.gif

Pretty much. English speaking people in my experience have a tendency to pronounce Japanese names as two separate syllables. In this case, Sakamoto as Saka-Moto, but that isn't how you actually pronounce it.

I guess it'd be the English equivalent of pronouncing Johnson as John-Son. Like, it kind of sounds right, but in reality the two syllables flow together without a break.

Edit- Oh another fun one is Masamune which I have never heard pronounced by an English speaker correctly. It is more like maSOMune.

She's making the same mistake you're making here; putting the accent on the second syllable. In Japanese, the accent is always on the first syllable.
    So it's MAsamune and SAkamoto.

It's better than the usual gaijin way of butchering Japanese names, which is to lengthen the hell out of one of the vowels instead of pronouncing each syllable the same length, but it still sounds very wrong to anyone who speaks Japanese.

Plus she hits the K way too hard, like a sforzando. Since Japanese does have doubled consonants, that's turning the name into Sakkamoto. (Although even that wouldn't be quite as hard as she hits that k here.)

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Man if this thread turns into this im gonna pce out for about 4-6 weeks

J3qcnBP.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

For reference.

Counter-argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tc_WJO8wzQ

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Quiotu was warned for this.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

For reference.

Counter-argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tc_WJO8wzQ

Holy shit, the amount of nerds triggered by this is DEPRESSING!!

Echo on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Maybe don't be jerks to people who care about something you don't

Maybe try that

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

For reference.

The prosody is different. I don't mind something like this, it's not even unusual. In addition, differences like these are basically undetectable to many people. But, nah, that's not the same.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Atlus livestream!
    http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv292668665?stop_redirection_to_live2=17e03c909f14c584ae50ce95b56d79096156aa8e&

Expect absolutely nothing! (Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 so far)

wVEsyIc.png
    I STAND CORRECTED.
    B9E5JyI.jpg

http://shin-megamitensei.jp/dsj/

Strange Journey is back! Seriously.

wVEsyIc.png
    What the fuuuuck?

dope

i love SJ

more content and QOL improvements?

hell yes

(now just port nocturne and dds and devil summoner to Ps4)

J3qcnBP.png
  • ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Strange Journey as a remake wouldn't have been my first choice, since I still have the original game, but I'm happy about this none-the-less. Adding more content to an already packed game, with QoL improvements (fusing will probably be one area they improve) is certainly not something to complain about. I'll be grabbing it when it launches over here for sure.

Oh, it's a remake.

I wonder if passwords will still be incredible bullshit that can do anything. DS-games with console-commands are weird.

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    This probably speaks poorly of me as a SMT player, but I hope they at least tone down Sector Eridanus a bit. There's challenging dungeon design, there's tedious dungeon design, and then there's Sector Eridanus.

edited March 2017
    350 is about the same as the old number of demons. Thet're trying to make it sound like a remake-thing, aren't they?

o9DmxJRl.png

PLA on
    There's going to be more save points, and I assume some kind of marker system for Eridanus and the like.

wVEsyIc.png
    and i just booted up nocturne again

gonna try to get true demon ending before next tuesday

J3qcnBP.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also just a note on the pronunciation thing, it has been confirmed that the pronunciations are that way as was specifically requested from Atlus Japan thus why all the characters pronounce it that way. So no, nothing is wrong with it.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Also just a note on the pronunciation thing, it has been confirmed that the pronunciations are that way as was specifically requested from Atlus Japan thus why all the characters pronounce it that way. So no, nothing is wrong with it.

Cool. Now I hope we can stop arguing about that and start being super hyped that we are 8 days out from P5. I am all kinds of excited for this.

PSN|AspectVoid
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Cool. Now I hope we can stop arguing about that and start being super hyped that we are 8 days out from P5. I am all kinds of excited for this.

Super HYPED!

Although I may start a bit delayed because of Mass Effect.

Upside is that gets me more of the Persona DLC to grab right at the start.

Also I must start a spreadsheet on what Persona to get from each area to make a good Lucifer for end game.

Yessss. Yes I should get started on that today..

See, I'm so excited that Mass Effect has up until P5 arrives, and then its getting tossed aside. Once I get home on the 4th, its going to be all about that Persona.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Yeah, I'm interested in playing ME: Andromeda, but I'm okay waiting until they fix their shit. Same thing with FFXV.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm interested in playing ME: Andromeda, but I'm okay waiting until they fix their shit. Same thing with FFXV.

buh? What's up with FFXV?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

They're redoing one of the later chapters for something. Really killed my motivation to prioritize it for play time.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Trying not to get hype, trying not to get hype...
    After surviving multiple delays, we’ve finally gotten around to trying out the English version of Persona 5 and have been blown away thus far.
    Better than Final Fantasy XV
    ...despite going in with sky high expectations — perhaps higher than any game I’ve reviewed previously — so far I am head over heels with (Persona 5).

UGHHHH

E1448CWl.png

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm only here for the memes. What will be the fsteak? Or the new "get bent"?

Now that's what really matters.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    OK, so - physical strategy guide, or is there a low-spoiler one on the internet?

jdarksun wrote: »
    OK, so - physical strategy guide, or is there a low-spoiler one on the internet?

A physical guide doesn't seem to exist, sadly. Otherwise I'd say definitely that option.

ME:A doesn't have much to fix to be honest. Some animation jank(but don't they all?) but game wise it's super rad.

It's not like content getting added that you have to wait for.

Easily my second fav ME game.

As far as I know, there is no english official strategy guide for Persona 5. Japan got one that covered like half the game, though.

PSN|AspectVoid

Dunno, is Hiimdaisy gonna make another comic series? Because really, that's where all the memes came from anyway.

ALL YO YENS! YIP YIP YAP!!

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I super wish I could buy a physical copy of the hiimdaisy stuff

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Don't think this was posted, but Altus did an unboxing of the "Take Your Heart" premium edition of Persona 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRpsn0z2-Ls

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

They're redoing one of the later chapters for something. Really killed my motivation to prioritize it for play time.

They're making the spells kill things faster. That's the something.

cBSAm2d.png

PLA wrote: »

They're making the spells kill things faster. That's the something.

cBSAm2d.png

It also adds new scenes.

wVEsyIc.png
    In addition to the DLC?

PLA wrote: »
    In addition to the DLC?

Yep, it expands on
    Revus and Iedolas and why are we even talking about XV here lol.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Actually, Sakamoto is pronounced "Wooster"

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Dunno, is Hiimdaisy gonna make another comic series? Because really, that's where all the memes came from anyway.

ALL YO YENS! YIP YIP YAP!!

I just want another Endurance Run.

"I'm bendin' all over the place!"

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.