Options

A [Chat] that does NOT discuss Avengers: Age of Ultron

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I recall a myth that cannabis is four times as carcinogenic as tobacco, but I don't think that's been verified.
    That seems like one of the made up neo-folk wisdom things.

They'd be trumpeting that from everywhere if it were established.

They say the same thing about clove cigarrettes.

I am pretty sure that within certain tolerances it doesn't really matter what you're smoking, the burning produces such a panoply of chemicals that a fair whack are going to be carcinogenic plus the particulate matter is bad for your lungs and has similar risks assosciated
    The complex heterogenous mixture that combustion produces is incredibly dependent on the combustant.
    We have not defined the makeup of weed smoke.
    We can't say anything definitively either way.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    my mutant power is that when I drop my toast it always lands butter side down.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I recall a myth that cannabis is four times as carcinogenic as tobacco, but I don't think that's been verified.

I am pretty sure that within certain tolerances it doesn't really matter what you're smoking, the burning produces such a panoply of chemicals that a fair whack are going to be carcinogenic plus the particulate matter is bad for your lungs and has similar risks assosciated
    The complex heterogenous mixture that combustion produces is incredibly dependent on the combustant.

that it's super bad for you to inhale smoke is pretty clear though

exactly how bad, and exactly why, is not known

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I was hoping I had made up the word combustant.
    But no, its real.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    JcUiaub.png

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also were having a HELL of a time finding cute nerd diapers for babby Thunderlord.

Although I am planning on buying her a jersey onesie with Thunderlord on the back.

https://www.honest.com/baby/honest-diapers Look at comic book print.

Oh I mean reuasable, fuck disposables

Really? I could never do cloth diapers. New born poop is so gross and liquidy I can't imagine it coming out easily.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

that it's super bad for you to inhale smoke is pretty clear though

exactly how bad, and exactly why, is not known
    certain kinds of smoke yes
    it is super bad for you to inhale several different smokes that are each unique in their makeup

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    JcUiaub.png

I'd watch it.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Well that was kind of a terrible phone screen interview. It felt like a sequence of some guy's gotcha questions rather then an effort to determine if I could accomplish basic tasks on Linux.

Knowing that apparently the guy before walked away after a second round interview and that makes me a bit wary even if I get a callback.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It is true that the US government is horrific in the Marvel universe. One of the benefits of the Ultimate universe is they could be more deliberate about how the horrible things happen, vs just the US senate wanting genocide.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Also were having a HELL of a time finding cute nerd diapers for babby Thunderlord.

Although I am planning on buying her a jersey onesie with Thunderlord on the back.

Really? I could never do cloth diapers. New born poop is so gross and liquidy I can't imagine it coming out easily.

We'll use disposables for the first 2-4 weeks then we only use them when we are out.

We couldn't do FULL cloth diapering that's too much work.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Well that was kind of a terrible phone screen interview. It felt like a sequence of some guy's gotcha questions rather then an effort to determine if I could accomplish basic tasks on Linux.

Knowing that apparently the guy before walked away after a second round interview and that makes me a bit wary even if I get a callback.

"I can google most of these questions and get the answers anyways. If you're looking for a linux admin that knows this stuff by heart, all of it, I suggest inventing a time machine to find your candidates."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    It's more that I am an accounting major and I learned this stuff years ago. I am busy screwing with my phone.

I could get lost in his eyes though. And the guy has this Luxembourg accent and it's this cute mix of French and German.

Ich liebe vous, ma chare

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    My coworker's dad recently died of lung cancer.

Less than 3 months between diagnosis and death.

Don't smoke. Do go the doctor regularly.
    The good news is that every day you don't smoke is good for you!

After 10 years your risk of developing particular drop down to the same level as someone who never smoked (for a non-exhaustive list of risks)

also that money adds up

I had a patient once that smoked 3 packs a day that told me he couldn't afford his life-saving heart medication.

$450 a month on cigs

ai ya

In Australia it is more than that.

The tarrifs/sin taxes/excises on cigarrettes put them at something like 23 squids a pack.

Which, admittedly is Australian funny money, so at current exchange rates it's something like 18 US ducks a pack

So, at three packs a day that's a shed load a month. $2K AUD

The terrible cheap ones I smoke at the moment are about $17 for a 25 pack.

Christ

just grow your own stuff at that point

i have no idea what the laws are regarding growing tobacco

i'm assuming it's a restricted substance?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    But no, its real.
    hoping to sell it to merriam webster and get some of that sweet sweet dictionary money?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    also @spacekungfuman its a matter of cost for us, cloth diapering is a massive cash save for us that we can can put into savings.

• Options
    Maybe I'll just spend all day posting pictures of my doge.

tumblr_nkwy49NJN01tg0ue1o1_1280.jpg

Have to take him to the vet for some shots today. Poor little guy.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Registration wasn't supposed to be a big deal. Just a confidential list.

The flaw is that the terms of the act weren't made explicit. Therefore different writers had different opinions about it.

Like, that would have been a nice ending to Civil War #1: The text of the bill in its entirety, so you can actually debate it.

Super Gulags are naughty though.

How is it different than the raft though? The wrecking crew robs a bank. The Avengers beat them up. The wrecking crew gets put in the raft. No trial. They stay there with power cancelling restraints until they break out in a few months, and that's all there is to it.

It's mentioned in a number of places that trials happen. It's just often the Wrecking Crew do something stupidly public so the prosecute has a pretty easy case and they plea it out.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It is true that the US government is horrific in the Marvel universe. One of the benefits of the Ultimate universe is they could be more deliberate about how the horrible things happen, vs just the US senate wanting genocide.

There's a few senators in the real world I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they turned out to be Hydra agents.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Hey, so, did you guys hear about Avengers: Civil War? We only have a few years to talk about it, we should get started now!

I'm Captain America

I fought Hitler

Whose side are you on

I'm with drunk prodigy.

Now Playing:
    Dragon Ball FighterZ [PC] - Sure is a lot of not killing Goku going on right now.
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

#2 still doesn't have solid poops at 2 years of age. Newborn poop is nothing.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

The flaw is that the terms of the act weren't made explicit. Therefore different writers had different opinions about it.

Like, that would have been a nice ending to Civil War #1: The text of the bill in its entirety, so you can actually debate it.

How is it different than the raft though? The wrecking crew robs a bank. The Avengers beat them up. The wrecking crew gets put in the raft. No trial. They stay there with power cancelling restraints until they break out in a few months, and that's all there is to it.

It's mentioned in a number of places that trials happen. It's just often the Wrecking Crew do something stupidly public so the prosecute has a pretty easy case and they plea it out.

Trials happen for people in Rikers. Do they always happen for people in the raft?

• Options
    But no, its real.
    hoping to sell it to merriam webster and get some of that sweet sweet dictionary money?
    isn't that how all pedants become rich?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    @Eddy The phone call between Orin and Hal (the one where Hal is clipping his toenails) is just an absolutely amazing piece of writing. I basically sat there with my mouth hanging open after I finished reading it. What a beautiful everything about how that was presented and what it was saying.

• Options

Honestly, the heroes are as guilty as the villains half the time. Remember when Reed kidnapped all their villains and put them into stasis? Villians get captured and held for study too. Basically, its the wild west when it comes to the rights of super powered people.

• Options
    my compound is doing things to cells
    aww yiss

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I started (late) on my operating systems assignment last night

it is to write a bash script

what areas of comp sci is this used in, typically? like, server admin?

because this shit is super ugly and not reader friendly so far

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You wanna bring real world into it, I'd have zero faith in the register actually being secure. It'd get stored in plain text on a public server, encrypted with the diabolically difficult password "password2"

Or someone gets the superpower to crack any computer database and puts it on wikileaks cause freedom maaaan.

Bam, you're a known 'other' and get murdered by haters or excluded from jobs or any myriad other horrible outcomes for telling the government you have the power of rapid yoghurt culturing

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You wanna bring real world into it, I'd have zero faith in the register actually being secure. It'd get stored in plain text on a public server, encrypted with the diabolically difficult password "password2"

Or someone gets the superpower to crack any computer database and puts it on wikileaks cause freedom maaaan.

Bam, you're a known 'other' and get murdered by haters or excluded from jobs or any myriad other horrible outcomes for telling the government you have the power of rapid yoghurt culturing

And think of the terabytes of data left behind on subway trains.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    awesome 4 dog not awesome 4 shot unless shot makes dog more awesome

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    But no, its real.
    isn't that how all pedants become rich?

Nah, most of them are from wealthy families that could afford proper schooling.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    would be nice if i would quit waking up in the middle of the night frantically kicking and screaming.

• Options

But it's inside Tony Starks head. Literally, that's the only copy. And he was the head of shield at the time.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I started (late) on my operating systems assignment last night

it is to write a bash script

what areas of comp sci is this used in, typically? like, server admin?

because this shit is super ugly and not reader friendly so far
    yup, server admin stuff.

minimum installed footprint, it's how pretty much everything in linux is controlled. Usually bash topics also cover standard gnu tools so you have some ideas about how to *nix without the need for libraries and such

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Trials happen for people in Rikers. Do they always happen for people in the raft?

Yeah, it's a plot point a number of times. For super villains they often do it via closed circuit video systems. It's just not a common storyline for superhero comics so it doesn't come up that often.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I've had some dumb patients lately

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

But it's inside Tony Starks head. Literally, that's the only copy. And he was the head of shield at the time.

And then that vulnerability allows Secret Invasion to happen and the government hands the gig over to Norman Osborne.

The Marvel US Government could not even call up a vote to defund Obamacare.

• Options

Yoplait and Darigold would constantly be trying to either capture or kill you, due to the threat you pose to their business model.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I've had some dumb patients lately

What do you prescribe for that?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I am on the way to set up for the charity gig I helped organise. Wish me luck guys.

This discussion has been closed.