As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old [NHL] Thread

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    oh right i totally skimmed over the up north part

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    If you want to watch on TV without cable you pretty much can only watch what CBC shows on Saturdays and during the playoffs.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Up north, being Canada?

They have some MyRogers thing instead of NHL.tv no idea how the prices/services/blackouts compares

Also, the NHL started their twitter streaming thing last week. Which still are regionally blacked out.

Canadian here with a Gamecenter Live Subscription. it's a rebranded NHL.tv. (long story short, Rogers owns streaming rights in Canada, but they decided to sub-license NHL.tv from MLBAM, so it's the same product with a different name)

Most games are actually not blacked out here. Games that are blacked out are regionally televised games in your region. So if you live in Manitoba, you can't watch a Jets game that would normally be on TSN3. Nationally Televised games are available on the service (so again if you're in Manitoba, you *can* watch a Jets game that's airing on HNIC, Wednesday Night Hockey, or Hometown Hockey), and any game that's an "out of market game" is available. It's actually a way better service than NHL.tv in the US because all national games are blacked out there.

EDIT: Here's a long FAQ on it https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/support-game-availability/

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Up north as in almost Canada. I'm closed to Montreal now than any other major city but I'm still in the US. I'll look into NHL.tv

What is this twitter streaming?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Up north as in almost Canada. I'm closed to Montreal now than any other major city but I'm still in the US. I'll look into NHL.tv

They are streaming, like, 9 games on twitter throught the rest of the season.

It isn't really an option for watching to actually watch hockey, I just kind of threw it in there as a reminder to people. There are a few games on twitter now!

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/02/01/nhl-2017-schedule-twitter-live-streaming-games

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Hitch out, Yeo in.

Hitchcock was 1 win away from tying Al Arbor at #3 on the all time wins list. Ouch. Especially because this is pretty much driven by Allen's awful save percentage(.895). They are 5th in Corsi, 6th in Fenwick, and 28th in SV%

Ironically, also fired, the guy the Corsi stat is named after.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Ogdensburg? Lake Placid? I have a coworker from Plattsburg.

• Options
    Plattsburg doesn't sound like a real place.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    If Pawnee, IN is a real town, then so is Plattsburg, NY

• Options
    Why is
    Mugsley wrote: »

Ogdensburg? Lake Placid? I have a coworker from Plattsburg.

Burlington, so almost Plattsburgh but significantly better.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Back to the goals/points discussion from earlier:

I was listening to the NHL channel on Sirius earlier in the week. One guy brought up a pretty ridiculous stat: by this point in the season in 1985 (I probably have the year wrong....), Wayne Gretzky had 60 *goals*. Connor McDavid is currently leading the league.....with 59 *points*.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Back to the goals/points discussion from earlier:

I was listening to the NHL channel on Sirius earlier in the week. One guy brought up a pretty ridiculous stat: by this point in the season in 1985 (I probably have the year wrong....), Wayne Gretzky had 60 *goals*. Connor McDavid is currently leading the league.....with 59 *points*.

eh, I think the more impressive stats are the ones like how in 85-86 Gretzky had 20 more assists than anyone else had total points, or in 81-82, he had 92 goals, which alone would have been top 20 in points in the league.

You can't really compare him/that era to anything. Back in those days in hockey pools a lot of them actually split out his goals and assists into separate people because that's how much better he was than anyone else. (i.e. people would take, say Mike Bossy or Brian Trottier in a draft. For gretzky you would have Gretzky-assists, and Gretzky-goals.)

• Options
    edited February 2017
    There was only one goalie in the league playing butterfly style in 85.

So....

datalab-paine-gretzky.png

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    It's crazy that the best goalie of all time is off the top of that chart in his prime years in 93-00

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also comically smaller pads, it was not a prestige position so you had generally weaker athletes playing the position, more roster spots wasted on goons who couldn't skate. It was a different time.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I looked up Hasek's numbers earlier today. Dear God, what happened in 93? Did he get married or divorced or buy a puppy? His save percentage shot up 35 points from the year before

• Options
    He got to start full time after Grant Fuhr got hurt at the same time the Dead Puck Era started.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The axe finally dropped on Julien. That would have been far more convenient when a certain Colorado team was scrambling for a new coach.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I've been absent from here because everything is crazy busy for me and I haven't been able to devote as much time to hockey as I normally would like, but this firing of Julien... fuck the Bruins front office right up their egotistical asses.

I said when Neely was brought in as VP of Ops that it was a terrible, terrible idea. Everyone around here was all "Oh, Neely. You are so amazing. Cam is the best. He won't let us down." Yeah, because great hockey players make great front office managers (notice sarcasm). Then they bring in Sweeny to pile on more of the dumpster fire. Those two have jointly been responsible for dismantling a team that had something going, specifically destroying the D to ashes. Part of their response has been pointing at the two season Boston didn't make it to the playoffs, but let's just totally forget that one of those times involved the highest point total ever to not reach the playoffs. It's not like I'm saying the Bruins are doing well, because things have been rather bland, but the coach is only part of the problem. Sadly, no one seem to have the balls to tell Neely that he sucks at his job, because he's soooooooooooo dreamy when thinking back to his playing days.

The only good that could come out of this is a reduction in ticket prices. I may once again be able to afford season tickets. Ugh, this pisses me off, and of course they do it on the same day as the Patriots parade, so it's like slapping me in the face after kicking in the nuts.

...I'm also certain that Burtle is in heaven right now.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    And now Cassidy is interim head coach!
    The frustration of losing and the lingering issues between the players and coach came to a head last Thursday in New Jersey, when Cassidy ripped the team after a 3-0 loss and made references to players not using pregnant wives and sick children as an excuse for poor play.
    Many of the players have young children or wives about to give birth, while Kolzig has an autistic child and Witt’s wife battled a life-threatening illness all of last season. Those remarks angered many players and, coupled with two more ugly defeats, marked the end of Cassidy’s tenure.

Yeah, that Cassidy.

LD50 on
  • Options
    On a positive note, Claude won't have any trouble finding a job.

• Options
    You know, Seguin was a big problem child for the Bruins, but has given the Stars no trouble at all. I used to think that maybe it was just the Benn Brothers taking him under their wing that made the difference, but now I'm wondering if it was really just being brought out from under that toxic management.

• Options
    I think the difference is probably that no one in the Stars press pool is trying to throw him under the bus to justify why he was traded for a shitty return.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    You know, Seguin was a big problem child for the Bruins, but has given the Stars no trouble at all. I used to think that maybe it was just the Benn Brothers taking him under their wing that made the difference, but now I'm wondering if it was really just being brought out from under that toxic management.
    In my opinion, there are two factors that led to why Seguin has become the power he is:
    1. When playing for the Bruins, they made him a winger. He's a natural center, so having him on a wing is obviously going to affect his play. The rational thought then is "Why not put him in center?" The problem was that the top to centermen were Krejci and Bergeron. You don't replace those two, so the next spot is the 3rd line. Well, you don't pay a 3rd-line centerman $6/yr. You just don't. Maybe playing out of his natural position also had a mental factor; I don't know. But when he was traded to the Stars, he was given the opportunity to play in one of the top two lines as center. Given his natural position, you can see why he prospered.
    2. Believe what you want, but the kid was being a kid. He was having fun and wasn't really disciplined. I can't say I blame him too much, knowing what I was up to from 14-23, but as fans we tend to yell at people like him and tell him to act like a professional. In one sense it's not fair because he was just a kid. In another sense, he's getting paid millions, so... at that point I care less about the former. If you then combine that with what came out after the trade (despite not knowing how much was true), getting passed off cheaply like that has to be a hit to the ego. It's my theory that he decided to straighten the fuck up and realize that if he kept fucking around, he wasn't going to become that player everyone has been telling he's supposed to be.
    So you take those two thoughts, put them together, and it's not surprising he's playing so damn well in Dallas. I also believe that if he stuck around in Boston, not much would have changed. I don't think management was the issue with his play, but what they did to facilitate the trade was definitely management.

Of course, I'm just a dude who yells at the TV, so.... yeah

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh no, I wasn't trying to justify his behavior with the Bruins, just that there was a remarkable improvement pretty much overnight in his off ice behavior. I'm sure getting traded was a wake up call too, but I can't help but think that the way the Bruins organization treats their players had something to do with it also.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Considering how things have been progressing, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.

• Options
    You know, Gamecetner Live/NHL.tv was acceptable before MLBAM took it over. Now it's just an absolute tire fire on a web browser. How a company thinks a flash player is a good solution in 2017 is beyond me.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    You know, Gamecetner Live/NHL.tv was acceptable before MLBAM took it over. Now it's just an absolute tire fire on a web browser. How a company thinks a flash player is a good solution in 2017 is beyond me.

I was watching my game delayed, and it stopped playing at the start of the third period.

I refreshed, and it jumped to the live feed. I immediate clicked to rewind it about 1/3 of the way, and it stopped responding.

I guess we lost in the shootout, but that might have been nice to actually watch?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

I was watching my game delayed, and it stopped playing at the start of the third period.

I refreshed, and it jumped to the live feed. I immediate clicked to rewind it about 1/3 of the way, and it stopped responding.

I guess we lost in the shootout, but that might have been nice to actually watch?

I wanted to catch the 3rd period of ducks/rangers. It wouldn't load. Neither would any other game. I tried it on 3 different browsers on 4 different computers running 3 different operating systems. Didn't work on any of them.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Rantanen with the hat trick, against Carey Price no less, and the Avs beat the Canadiens 4-0. Feels good, but I wonder how many goats were sacrificed in the bowels of the Pepsi Center last night.

• Options
    At least one remains. I'm still here.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Rantanen with the hat trick, against Carey Price no less, and the Avs beat the Canadiens 4-0. Feels good, but I wonder how many goats were sacrificed in the bowels of the Pepsi Center last night.

It was also the first game I watched since ohhhh October where they didn't just give up in the third.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    I hope the Canucks make some better trade deadline decisions this year. I was getting worried when they were closing in on a wildcard spot that they would become buyers and try to make a playoff push this year - which would almost certainly end in a first round knock-out.

• Options
    Lail wrote: »
    I hope the Canucks make some better trade deadline decisions this year. I was getting worried when they were closing in on a wildcard spot that they would become buyers and try to make a playoff push this year - which would almost certainly end in a first round knock-out.
    I'll trade you Cam Neely for one of your black squirrels. Those things are awesome and I'm pretty sure management decisions wouldn't change.

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Hmmm...

This?
    Seabass.jpg

For this?
    mentalsquirrelMMP_468x371.jpg

Before I can authorize this trade for the Canucks I'll first need to start a goalie controversy and then trade both our goalies for way less than they're worth.

• Options
    Not if you have seen him in the last two years. You could see him wasting away.

• Options
    on one hand, he didn't live long enough to see the new arena finished.

On the other hand.... he won't have to see the end of the playoff streak.

May he Rest in Peace.