As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old [NHL] Thread

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the burrows trade is bonkers. the Sens gave up a young, can't miss prospect for a 35 year old 3rd liner.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Yeah, wonder how Jamie Benn feels about this?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Also, Bishop went to LA last night right when Quick came back from injury for some reason

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i guess from the Kings' perspective it's nice to have a quality backup since Quick seems to be getting hurt at least once a season lately

from Bishop's or Tampa Bay's perspective i just have no idea

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    maybe cap concerns or something for tampa bay i guess

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    the kings perspective makes zero sense. Budaj has been better than Bishop while playing more games. Like, the kings actually traded away the better goalie.

For the lightning it makes perfect sense. Bishop's contract is expiring, they won't be able to sign him next year because of cap concerns, and they actually already have cap concerns for this season.

I 100% get why the lightning make that trade. I have no idea why the kings made it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The Benn deal seems pretty cheap for Montreal. He's like a 4-5 defensemen making 1.1 against the cap for the next 2 years. For a 4th. It seems like every team is always looking for blueline depth at the deadline I figured the stars would get a bigger return.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the lightning have to resign Palat, Johnson and Drouin. And they have bonuses they need to be under this year to pay.

I'm unsure why the Kings wanted Bishop. Maybe because they know Quick is overrated?

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Yeah that trade makes no sense. Budaj has been pretty good. So the bolts make their net situation better whereas the Kings get MAAAYBE a guy that can stand on his head for a playoff run if Quick isn't rehabbing well?

I mean ... the Kings need to score more goals I think way more than they need to worry about the goals they're giving up. They're getting a decent amount of shots on net (8th in the league) and really good advanced shooting + puck control stuff

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Hmmmm

The two best teams in the metro/east in a bidding war for a stanley cup rental, from a team on the playoff bubble in the west, that plans on signing with the rangers after the season.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    “It’s hard to look past three days right now,” he said. “I can’t really look past that because I just don’t know where I’m going to be. So we’ll see what happens.”

He also reiterated that he wanted to stay with the Avalanche, but added a kicker.

“Yeah,” Duchene said. “I mean, I want to win. Whatever it takes for that to happen, that’s what I want. That’s my answer, I guess.”

But that wasn’t definitive, was it?

“I mean, it’s out of my control,” he said. “I’ve made clear my opinion in the past, and that’s kind of the way it’s staying.”

I kind of wish this could just get over with, if only for Duchene's sake. Watching this whole situation play out sucks. As much as I get it, and feel he should probably go over Landeskog, I really am going to be gutted when it happens.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the burrows trade is bonkers. the Sens gave up a young, can't miss prospect for a 35 year old 3rd liner.

As a Canucks fan I have a lot of good things to say about Alex Burrows, but apart for a couple seasons where he and the Sedins were maybe the best line in hockey, he's not a piece that will put a team over the top. Does Ottawa have penalty killing or defensive problems? He could be a boost in that regard.

The Canucks lose a player that bleeds blue and green, but gain a player with a lot of potential. Ottawa seems to have gotten fleeced, and Vancouver now maybe even have room to take on a UFA from another team in a cap dump trade.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    the kings perspective makes zero sense. Budaj has been better than Bishop while playing more games. Like, the kings actually traded away the better goalie.

For the lightning it makes perfect sense. Bishop's contract is expiring, they won't be able to sign him next year because of cap concerns, and they actually already have cap concerns for this season.

I 100% get why the lightning make that trade. I have no idea why the kings made it.

Presumably Lombardi figures the Budaj thing is a one year anomaly. Bishop's been a way better goalie over the course of his career.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Hmmmm

The two best teams in the metro/east in a bidding war for a stanley cup rental, from a team on the playoff bubble in the west, that plans on signing with the rangers after the season.

Caps won it. 1st round pick this year, 2019 2nd if he signs with Washington or they make the ECF w/ Shattenkirk playing at least half the games, grinder Brad Malone, and prospect Zach Sanford

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Hmmmm

Caps won it. 1st round pick this year, 2019 2nd if he signs with Washington or they make the ECF w/ Shattenkirk playing at least half the games, grinder Brad Malone, and prospect Zach Sanford

the conditional pick is even more hilarious. If the conditions for a 2nd round pick aren't met and the caps trade shatenkirk before July 1, the Blue get a 7th round pick from the caps. UNLESS.... if the return for shattenkirk in a trade before July 1 is a 4th round pick or greater, than the blues get the caps earliest pick in the round that is 2 rounds lower than the pick that the caps got for shattenkirk (i.e. if the caps trade shattenkirk's rights for a 4th round pick, the caps then get a 6th round pick)

• Options
    Ah yes. StL blues gotta insist on that draft + 3 year, 22 year old winger scoring less than 1 ppg in the A

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Gonna have to start drawing flowcharts to figure this out.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    I think it was Dreger who made the comment. If your the Washington Capitals, a team that dominates in the regular season, and then collapses in the playoffs. You know what you need? A bunch of St. Louis Blues players.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Wings trade Brendan smith to rangers for a 2nd and 3rd round pick

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    anyone thinking about picking up Stamkos in fantasy?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    There's some rumblings that Isles might be close on making a deal for Duchene. Josh Ho-Sang was called up on emergency conditions from the AHL this morning, then released back to Bridgeport a few hours later, which is feeding rumors even more. Also Edmonton might be in talks for Halak.

• Options
    I really hope the OIlers don't take Halak. He's due 4.5 million next year. We do not need a backup goalie making more than the starter.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    There's been talk of Eberle going as well, to free up cap for Halak and McJesus

• Options
    edited February 2017
    There's some rumblings that Isles might be close on making a deal for Duchene. Josh Ho-Sang was called up on emergency conditions from the AHL this morning, then released back to Bridgeport a few hours later, which is feeding rumors even more. Also Edmonton might be in talks for Halak.
    Apparently one of the Islanders beat writers tweeted that talks have cooled off. Claimed the Islanders "have offered what was asked" but the Avs haven't accepted.

I don't know what exactly "offered what was asked" means exactly. I'm guessing it's not specific players.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    The rumors have it that it is some combination of Nelson/Dal Colle (or even Barzal) and Hamonic/Pulock and then a pick of some kind.

• Options
    Oilers get their 3rd line center. Brandon Davidson, who was likely going to be lost in the Expansion draft, goes to Montreal, oilers get David Desharnais. Desharnais is a rental, but for a player the oilers were likely going to lose anyway, so it'll do.

• Options

*The Price is Right losing horn here*

• Options
    In Ken Holland's best trade in years, he got a 6th round pick from Montreal for Steve Ott.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Oilers get their 3rd line center. Brandon Davidson, who was likely going to be lost in the Expansion draft, goes to Montreal, oilers get David Desharnais. Desharnais is a rental, but for a player the oilers were likely going to lose anyway, so it'll do.

I'm going to miss the Montreal announcer rolling his r's when he says, "Desharrrrrrrnais"

• Options
    In Ken Holland's best trade in years, he got a 6th round pick from Montreal for Steve Ott.
    You hear that Sakic? You CAN get something for Iginla.

Also if nothing else, Jay and Dan are coming back to TSN. So at least there's that....

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Jayricho wrote: »
    You hear that Sakic? You CAN get something for Iginla.

Also if nothing else, Jay and Dan are coming back to TSN. So at least there's that....

Yeah, because FS1 seems to be purging the only good things about the network: them and Katie Nolan.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Canucks trade Jannik Hansen to the Sharks.

Going to miss Hansen. He was a really good player that could be put anywhere in the line-up. Always working hard and making smart decisions.

That being said, I'm really happy the Canucks are getting things done this trade deadline. Now for Miller...

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Vanek went to flordia for McIlrath and a third. I have a feeling sending him to flordia might make it a bit harder for detroit resign him in the offseason.

Doesn't seem like a great return for Detroit.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    as a joke I saw on twitter kind of accurately points out. Ken Holland has never done this before, so not surprising to see him get fleeced.

That being said, I don't think you do much better than a 3rd for Vanek. He's... not very good.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Vanek doesn't drive possession, but he can score goals and assists at a first line level. 38 points in 48 games getting 14:30 ice time per game. That's on pace for 65 points over an 82 game season, with second/third line minutes. Which would have put him right outside the top 20 last season. I wouldn't say he is bad, but he is a passenger that scores rather than a driver of possession.

And normally that kind of thing would get you more than a top 10 bust pick and a 3rd rounder.

Edit: And detroit is covering half his salary

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Iginla to the kings for a conditional 4th in 2018.

• Options
    Oduya for Mcneil a center who was never going to break through for Chicago(he's 24) and a 4th, that could become a 3rd if they make WCF. I haven't watched much Stars this year, so I don't know how much he's lost in the last couple years. But he and Hammer were rocks in 2013/15.

And I can't hate the pairings of

Keith- Seabrook
    Hjalmarrson - Oduya
    Campbell - TVR

(Outside of TVR making a couple just boneheaded plays every game)

Besides, he also adds the most tangible of intangibles, a great beard.

tumblr_nb4djhrEE31qjn3rao1_500.jpg

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure who got the better deal there.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Iginla to the kings for a conditional 4th in 2018.

Sounds like it's dependent on whether or not he re-signs there.

Which, pretty much we gave him away for free.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Avs paid for the Kings to take him. He's 50% retained too.