As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old [NHL] Thread

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They weren't fired, they were layed off. ESPN is in a real bad spot right now, and they were only two of over a hundred staff that they let go.

I prefer to think if it less as ESPN not reporting on hockey, but giving two reporters the chance to cover hockey for establishments that are actually interested in the sport.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Those are the same thing, no matter what corporate America has tried to tell you for thirty years.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    My point is that they weren't let go because ESPN doesn't want to cover hockey, but that they don't have enough money to pay everyone.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    My point is that they weren't let go because ESPN doesn't want to cover hockey, but that they don't have enough money to pay everyone.

False dichotomy.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    yea, to be fair here people were let go across everything they cover. a few of their best NFL guys were also turfed.

I mean, you can argue that they have like a zillion people covering the NFL and only like 5 on hockey, so to get rid of all the hockey people is stupid, but It's not like the hockey side is the only part of ESPN that was hit.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Uhhhh, legs shouldn't flop around like that

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Uhhhh, legs shouldn't flop around like that

my money is either on dislocated hip or broken thigh bone. Ugly ugly stuff.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So ESPN fired Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun, so they're basically just not reporting on hockey at all anymore. Especially if the rumors about Buccigross' contract not being renewed are true, though that hasn't panned out so far.

I will always be appreciative over the inside USA hockey story ESPN & Burnside did leading up to Sochi. Showed what a sham a lot of the management in the NHL really is, nothing more than an old boys club. I mean for fucks sake, they didn't take Seth Jones because Bryan Burke had a dream he'd cost them a medal. And that's the kind of story that only a big media outlet is really able to support, just because it takes so much time to develope into anything.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    ESPN doesn't give two shits about hockey. They seem to be focused more on the NBA than anything else. Hell, it seems they care more about the PGA than the NHL, which just scream "pretentious bastards" in so many ways. Personally, I don't care. I can't remember the last time I actually even paid attention to ESPN, even during the NFL season. I just could care less about that network and get my sports news from other sources.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Mike Milbury just said on nbcsn that laviolett needs to preemptively tell pk subban to shut up because he is a racist he is a racist.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Milbury is an asshole and almost as annoying as Pierre McGuire

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Actual NBC tweet.

e: Do these not embed anymore? *checks announcements board*

Jragghen on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Actual NBC tweet.

That's riveting stuff, sure makes me want to watch hockey...

• Options
    Plus Doc Emrick is on the call, so that's sure to draw in viewers.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Actual NBC tweet.

Lots of embeds broke this morning.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Fleury just had like three utterly spectacular saves in a 10 second period to save the game.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Fleury is playing out of this fucking world in the last five minutes. jesus christ.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Why is ovie playing the point?

I mean, as a penguins fan, I think it a great idea to move your best shooter to the lowest shooting percentage spot on the ice, but

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I don't care what you guys say, Mike Emrick is a national treasure.

I used to like Pierre but he tries way too hard to get across how much random trivia he knows about hockey. Dude, I don't care that Barry Trotz used to coach where one of the refs lives.

• Options
    Did you guys see Trotz's eyebrows at the end of the 3rd?

Also, that was a really fun game to watch. I hope someone gave Flower a hug after all that.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Why is ovie playing the point?

I mean, as a penguins fan, I think it a great idea to move your best shooter to the lowest shooting percentage spot on the ice, but

Not sure what the most recent coaching regimes have done with him, but Boudreau routinely played Ovie and Mike Green at the points on the PP, which led to a ton of goals both for and against.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I hope that game is an indication of the series because this is going to be great fun. Similar for Rangers - Senators

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    NHL.com wrote:
    Rangers unable to take advantage of dominant performance by goalie Henrik Lundqvist

story of the game or story of Lundqvist's career?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    i should be pointed out that last night. Game 1 of the second round. The Ottawa Senators failed to sell out, by a couple thousand.

I mean, yes, the team is being stupid, and they increased the cost of *parking* by $10, and upper bowl tickets start at $90 in Round 2 there, and the arena is literally almost an hour outside of downtown Ottawa with no public transit options..... but still.

Really, Ottawa?

• Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    Well… yes? It’s Ottawa. Our attendance usually sucks, but there are also other factors;

- Game 2 and 5 are on Saturday’s, so if you’re going to buy a ticket to a game or two you are more likely to skip the Thursday games.
    - The biggest employer in the city is the federal government which means not as many corporate ticket buyers. Oh, and there are still a bunch of people that work for the federal government that are having trouble with their pay. http://www.timescolonist.com/news/national/federal-civil-service-problems-with-phoenix-pay-system-to-linger-for-months-1.11270062
    - The arena is at the ass end of the west of the city. Which means that, aside from being a bit of a commute for many people, everyone and their mother is going to be going to and coming from the arena in the same direction. Because of this (and the shitty parking lot layouts), I’ve been home at 12:30 from playoff games that ended at 10:30.
    -
    I’m sure that Melnyk’s plan of “good enough” mediocrity over the last few years probably doesn’t help things either. People will support a shitty team, but the most dangerous thing you can do to a fan base is take away their hope.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I don't care what you guys say, Mike Emrick is a national treasure.

I used to like Pierre but he tries way too hard to get across how much random trivia he knows about hockey. Dude, I don't care that Barry Trotz used to coach where one of the refs lives.

The only truly bad ones are Keith Jones and Mike milbury.

Remember, Mike milbury assaulted a 13year old during a youth hockey game.

• Options
    I'm a canadian, so I don't get subjected to Doc Emerick as much as those of you in the US, but I really don't mind him as a play by play guy. He's good. He's not the best I've ever heard, but he's good.

Ed Olchyk (or however it's spelled) is ok, but I think he shows bias too much of the time. Especially if it's Chcago (yes I know he's their regional colour guy too, that's what makes it bad)

Pierre McGuire though. Oh my god I just want someone to hire him to be a GM to get him off TV. He might be the single worst colour guy out there. We were subjected to him for years in Canada before he took on the full time gig at NBC, I hated him back then too.

• Options
    I do like Brian Boucher as a color guy. He manages to get the "check this out" and "slightly higher but not obscene knowledge" thing just right.

Also, Olczyk is great at Xs-and-Os, which I know a lot of people don't see due to the speed of the game. For example, he was the one who saw -- and pointed out -- Ovie pulling up on a Crosby hit and then Crosby skating the length of the ice for a score. I know I've learned a bunch about what to watch from listening to him. I do agree with the bias, but removing bias completely is nearly impossible (I know you know that).

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    NHL.com wrote:
    Rangers unable to take advantage of dominant performance by goalie Henrik Lundqvist

I was thinking about this on my drive into work. I don't think I'm overexaggerating that he's as good as Brodeur was in his prime; but he doesn't have the teams around him like Brodeur did.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    NHL.com wrote:

I was thinking about this on my drive into work. I don't think I'm overexaggerating that he's as good as Brodeur was in his prime; but he doesn't have the teams around him like Brodeur did.

it's frustrating as hell

the rangers are always just good enough to not be bad these days

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I'm glad Brendan Burke, the new isles play by play guy got a chance w/ the west coast series. He's great, after having heard both NBC and a lot of regional announcers, there's a lot of lousy ones.

• Options
    I'm glad Brendan Burke, the new isles play by play guy got a chance w/ the west coast series. He's great, after having heard both NBC and a lot of regional announcers, there's a lot of lousy ones.

the problem with most of the regional announcers is that they're so pro their team it's sickening. I actually am of the opinion that hurts in the long run, because instead of promoting how good the NHL is overall, they're only promoting their specific team. So then people only get interested in their own team, and not anything else, which then contributes to the big problem in the US (and also a problem in Canada, but not as much) that most fans are not fans of the sport/league. They're just fans of their team. That's bad for the sport overall.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

the problem with most of the regional announcers is that they're so pro their team it's sickening. I actually am of the opinion that hurts in the long run, because instead of promoting how good the NHL is overall, they're only promoting their specific team. So then people only get interested in their own team, and not anything else, which then contributes to the big problem in the US (and also a problem in Canada, but not as much) that most fans are not fans of the sport/league. They're just fans of their team. That's bad for the sport overall.

some are definitely worse than others

the caps' announcers are unbearable

the rangers' announcers obviously love their team but they seem pretty fair

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    I'm really pulling for the Caps. Seems like now or never for OV.

• Options
    If they keep playing as hard as they did in game 1 I think they'll win the series. They lost, but they had 14 more shots on goal than the pens. Flower won that game.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Brian Heyward. Taught a whole generation of Ducks fans to be homers and want calls for their team all the time. Just plain awful.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    two playoff stories from bartending

1) one of my regulars is a die hard blues fan. he was FURIOUS at the PK Subban iffy call. As a Bruins fan and newly out of the closet Subban fan I just laughed and was like MAAANNNN I've been there

2) on the last face off during the rangers game, someone tapped me on my hand to try to order a drink when 95% of the bar was watching the last five seconds. luckily I'm not a rangers fan but as a hockey fan in general I just looked at her and asked her if this person was out of her mind

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    *as a side note never tap a bartender on the hand for anything unless someone is bleeding or someone puked

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Alternatively: Never touch someone you don't know without a damn good reason.