As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good night, Europe - good morning, Australia [Eurovision 2015]

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    who is guy sebastian

He won the first Australian Idol some years ago.

But he is not very representative of Australian music culture.

For that we have Iggy Azalea. Obviously.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    So is it more about spectacle? I guess I'm not sure what makes something a popular Eurovision act.

Eurovision is the trashiest thing ever

So to win, you have to be trashy in a massively self-indulgent d-list pop star manner. You need to look like the kind of person who does the MC-ing at a shitty low-budget holiday resort in the med.

but at the same time you have to be into it. You have to look like your entire life before this moment was merely a prologue because this is fucking Eurovision.

Nobody ever won Eurovision for being any good. Not in our lifetypes.

No, typically a sneering contempt for the chances of any opposition, truly audacious (and entirely baseless) displays of charisma and as many sequins as you can stitch on whatever clothing you wear (a cape to swirl and some extremely questionable facial hair for the blokes and very, very low cut dresses for the ladies won't hurt either) will be the true deciders of the contest.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I used to hold out Iceland 1995 as an example of decent music winning the Eurovision
    but turned out that was one of Secret Garden's only interesting songs, the rest is kind of ... Celtic pop-ballads.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I think I got this description from a previous Eurovision thread, but the best way to describe Eurovision is "what pop music would be if black people never existed"

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    who is guy sebastian

He won the first Australian Idol some years ago.

But he is not very representative of Australian music culture.

For that we have Iggy Azalea. Obviously.

I've missed the whole Iggy Azalea phenomenon from being overseas, so all I know about her comes from tumblr memes

... I think she might be some kind of alien?

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    oh boy I can't wait for the two or three songs I like to finish horribly because they're too much like actual songs and not complete schmooze.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    (I need to actually listen to the songs at some point.)

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I never listen to anything before the big night(s). Keeps the element of disgusted astonishment fresh.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I like Eurovision because it seems so impossible that it actually exists.

Every space vampire, be-caped pop star, outrageously overpriced pyrotechnics display and sweaty barely-clad dancer brings me so much joy.

The music's not the point and honestly, I have so much fun I hope it never does become the point.

You're alright Eurovision, you're alright.

Fake edit: Oh, also the fact that some countries take it way too seriously and start acting like villains from a Family Channel Movie in order to swing votes away from their rivals.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    With the way Russia's been lately, they may actually invade somewhere if they don't win.
    ... probably the rest of the Ukraine.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I thought Euphoria was a pretty good song
    also crabwalk

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Euphoria is on my running playlist.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Balls, I'm not going to be able to stream it this year.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I think 'Rise Like a Phoenix' was also pretty good

Of course it falls into the category of "songs which only really work in the context of Eurovision" (although in this case it would also work as soundtrack to a Bond movie)

• Options
    I would also like to mention that, after eight long years, I can still recall the melody of "Lasha tumbai" anytime I want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjHJneVonE

• Options
    edited April 2015
    holy shit!
    i somehow missed this one? what was I even doing in 2007

gay cross-dressing disco balls counting in German is the quintessential eurovision experience

edit: seriously that is fucking brilliant

tynic on
  • Options
    if anyone ever asks me what Eurovision is this is the video I will show them

• Options
    It's probably one of my all-time favorite entries and the lyrics seem more current than ever

• Options
    That's the first video everyone posts when talking about Eurovision.

(I actually legitimately like the song. Accordion in pop songs is my jam.)

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    how have I never seen it??
    I legit can't remember what I was doing that year. I may even have been backpacking in Europe? which would explain why I missed it, actually.

• Options
    Those were some good years in Eurovision

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    We can't have too many people from outside Europe take part because we wouldn't know how to fit them into the complex web of regional voting cliques

We can't possibly risk someone else stealing Ireland's pity vote

• Options
    Australia definitely represents a wildcard. Can we even vote?

• Options
    I can find nothing to the contrary

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Australia definitely represents a wildcard. Can we even vote?

there will be an Australian jury, they haven't confirmed whether the public can vote as well

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I like Norway's contribution this year. It's not something I would put on my happy music rotation, but it's a a nice ballad.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Holy shit the season is upon us

• Options
    All the other finalists have sent a mournful ballad and we've sent bouncy electro swing.

• Options
    the guy we're sending has been to our office a few times for some reason

there was much swooning

• Options
    Does that mean you don't know the reason

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I remember the early nineties, when we had 4 TV channels and pretty much everyone watched Eurovision and the UK almost always had a chance at winning. Now we send hot garbage every year.

I still say Sonia was robbed.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Does that mean you don't know the reason

not exactly. he was meeting with the real estate department and we're landlords for a bunch of big media companies and he is a big tv presenter guy.

he led our insanely popular summer sing-along thing for a few years.

Flarne on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Are any of this year's entries worth listening to in advance? I started the Danish one because I wanted to know what we're sending and turned it off halfway through because it was boring.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    The US would never join Eurovision. The US is so statistics obsessed that the fact that the awards mean nothing would completely turn them off.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    How come neither Bosnia nor Croatia compete when all the other ex Yugos do?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bosnia was last in in 2012, but they haven't been able to afford the buy-in since.

Croatia hasn't qualified since they started doing the semifinal thing and has since taken their ball and gone home.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    The US would never join Eurovision. The US is so statistics obsessed that the fact that the awards mean nothing would completely turn them off.

I don't know. With all this talk I keep hearing about bloc voting, I think Eurovision could provide a fascinating insight into European diplomatic relations from the viewpoint of the lowest common denominator.

• Options
    If American joined Eurovision the UK wouldn't come last for once, because if there's someone Europe dislikes more than the UK, its America. So it'd be good news for the UK.

• Options
    The UK did very well in the past! Before everyone started being derisive of the contest.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The UK has entered every year since 1959, and has won the contest a total of five times. Along with Sweden, the UK is one of only two countries with Eurovision victories in four different decades. Furthermore, the UK has finished as runner-up on a record fifteen occasions. ... Up to and including 1998, the UK had only twice finished outside the top 10.