As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STEAM! Sale begins June 11th. IT HAS BEGUN!

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Also for Valve getting their cut it would be nice if they actually did anything of substance other than owning the platform. The Workshop is complete garbage to search through. They mostly rely on that curator stuff which, again, is the community doing their work for them.

OghulkMetalbourneTheySlashThem
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Also for Valve getting their cut it would be nice if they actually did anything of substance other than owning the platform. The Workshop is complete garbage to search through. They mostly rely on that curator stuff which, again, is the community doing their work for them.

They're one of the most profitable companies per employee for a reason! *they've been getting the community to act as salesmen for them 15+ years

BroloThe Cow KingSpeed RacerTheySlashThemgtrmp
    KSP 1.0 still sucks ass with the Saitek X52 Pro. The addon to fix it doesn't work with Windows 8

:/

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I would've thought DS2 would have sold more copies

But 73.1 hours per user is pretty good

That 1.3 out of 2.1 owners never actually started up Beyond Earth seems weird

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    almost half? doesn't bethesda get 75%? or did I read that wrong

Bethesda or whoever the dev is can set whatever share they want, 50-50, 60-40, 75-25

Valve supposedly gets the same 30% cut from any sales they always do, and that comes out of whatever Bethesda's share is.

So for a mod that makes $100

Modder $25
    Bethesda : $75

Bethesda's cut to Valve: $22.50
    Bethesda's final take: $52.50

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The creator gets 25% for 'curated workshop' items (which are not the same thing as these paid mod workshop items). That's for variety of different games, some Valve owned, some not. That 25% was set by Valve and it makes me wonder whether this was too.

edited April 2015
    Speaking of DS2, I didn't know you could climb on the Ancient Dragon's tail

dragon.jpg~original

I wonder if you can make it even higher up

Platy on
    Gvzbgul
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    The next SkyUI mod will be a paid mod.
    Bethesda fucks up the UI, a modder fixes it
    Bethesda profits

what

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

OghulkMetalbourneSpeed RacerVegemyte
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    The next SkyUI mod will be a paid mod.
    Bethesda fucks up the UI, a modder fixes it
    Bethesda profits

what

Yeah fuck this. This is the prime example of exploitation.

Metalbourne
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    What does SkyUI do? I never really had a problem with the default.

IoloTofystedethHades
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    What does SkyUI do? I never really had a problem with the default.
    streamlines the UI

You don't need it, because the default UI is perfectly servicable, but I found that after trying SkyUI I couldn't go back to the base

2x39jD4.jpg
    Metalbourne
    ocHup.png

Sky UI

FTRxRwo.jpg

Vanilla

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I feel like he's trying to ride Poe's Law? Or maybe it is me that does not get it...

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The creator gets 25% for 'curated workshop' items (which are not the same thing as these paid mod workshop items). That's for variety of different games, some Valve owned, some not. That 25% was set by Valve and it makes me wonder whether this was too.

It explicitly says in the ToS that the publisher/developer sets the amount received by the modder.

"The percentage of Adjusted Gross Revenue that you are entitled to receive will be determined by the developer/publisher of the Application associated with the Workshop to which you have submitted your Contribution (“Publisher”), and will be described on the applicable Workshop page."
    Oghulk wrote: »
    A pay what you want model in the humble bundle style would be a much better way of doing it. There are plenty of people (myself included) that'd be willing to pay a small bit of change for a mod if it is actually really substantial, but the legal issues involved is just...staggering.

That is one of the options the modder has when putting the item up on the Workshop.

"As creator of your Workshop submission, you get to set the price. You can specify a set price or choose to sell as pay-what-you-want and let the customer decide how much to pay."
    Donations to the modder are better than the steam system, if only because it all goes to the modder.

Then the modder can leave their work off of Steam, rely on donations, and issue DMCA takedown notices on copyright infringing material on the workshop?

edited April 2015
    Or they could have it free on steam with a link to their parpal or whatnot.
    edit-I'm not saying that modders are wrong to want to be paid. I would never say that. But if it were me I think I'd get more money from donations than from steam giving me a cut.

Gvzbgul on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Or they could have it free on steam with a link to their parpal or whatnot.
    edit-I'm not saying that modders are wrong to want to be paid. I would never say that. But if it were me I think I'd get more money from donations than from steam giving me a cut.

Everything I've heard from modders pretty much says nobody ever donates.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Donovan PuppyfuckerzerzhulDuke 2.0FyndirGumpyEncgtrmpFishmanMaddocturtleant
    I feel like mods are probably not something you should expect to do for a living

BahamutZERODuke 2.0OghulkMetalbourneDonovan PuppyfuckerKwoaruEncStiltsBlankZoeBionicPenguin
    edited April 2015
    But they are something you ought to be compensated for in some way.

Gvzbgul on
    Donovan PuppyfuckerEncCrippl3FishmanMaddoc
    I don't know! If you feel you need monetary compensation for your efforts, your time is probably spent better elsewhere

MetalbourneBionicPenguin
    I don't know! If you feel you need monetary compensation for your efforts, your time is probably spent better elsewhere

why

GvzbgulEnctinaunMaddoc
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    That feeling seems super sketchy to me

Take something somebody else made, modify it without their permission and expect to be paid for that

VRXwDW7.png
    Are you talking about the modders taking something the developers made Duke? Because I'm pretty sure that the devs have given their permission for players to mod the game and use their assets.

Jasconius wrote: »

why

Because so far there has been no money in mods

And the new Workshop conditions are very one-sided

I have my doubts this is a worthwhile use of your time if you're just in it for the buck

BahamutZERO
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    There is currently a 1.99 skyrim mod that starts you next to a giant pile of money when you start a new game

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    There is a 99.99 mod that gives you a sword called to much money

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    There is a 99.99 mod that gives you a sword called to much money

iVVgXFM.png

Donovan Puppyfuckerdiscrider
    The 75% cut seems harsh, but I can understand its rationale from the perspective of the game developer

If you allow mods to be monetized, you allow other people to profit from the game you built and marketed

And I can imagine scenarios in which modding could potentially diminish the value of your brand

Crippl3
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    But they are something you ought to be compensated for in some way.

not

really?

it's volunteer work

if you feel your mod is good enough to be bought rather than downloaded for free, then ok?

but what's going on right now is a fucking mess and absolutely not the way it should be done

BahamutZEROPlatyDuke 2.0el_vicioDonovan PuppyfuckerKwoaruStiltsWeedLordVegetaOghulkBlankZoeDarth WaiterVegemyteMuddy Water
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's not even volunteer work, that implies you're doing it for charity reasons
    it's hobby work, personal satisfaction and amusement

BahamutZERO.gif
    Duke 2.0AistanPlatyBluedude152el_vicioBrocksMulletWeedLordVegetaOghulkDarth WaitergtrmpVegemyteMuddy WaterTofystedeth
    I like the solution minecraft modders made

They have you watch a ad before downloading the mod, and get payed a """"liscensing fee""""" when bigger sites or youtubers put together big mod packs

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Gvzbgul
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So basically what I've learnt the last couple days, is if I'm going to ever do that modded Skyrim run, I need to do it sooner than later.

( SkyUi top of list based off that picture alone, holy cow, the UI was always something I hated in Skyrim)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I want to see future legal precedents set where mod makers sure for control of the entire IP, citing that they're better at making the game than the developer is.

Crippl3Darth Waiter
    Tho if this leads to a proper dedicated , multiplayer balanced/capable Canada mod for Civ V, all will be worth it!

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    While Valve fucked the goose on implementation I think its important to note that a lot of their ideas/staff come out of the modding scene. TF2, DOTA2, CS:GO (So basically all their current active titles) are rooted in modding and that's what Valve wants to encourage in the industry

I feel like they should have made Bethesda responsible for curating the Skyrim mod workshop though, that would have cut a lot of the issues off pretty quickly

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    There is currently a 1.99 skyrim mod that starts you next to a giant pile of money when you start a new game

So basically 2 bucks for "open console, player.additem [whatever gold is] [amount]"
    goddamnit

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

WeaverOghulk
    Tho if this leads to a proper dedicated , multiplayer balanced/capable Canada mod for Civ V, all will be worth it!

Q4l7VgY.jpg

el_vicioSpeed RacerManishtushuThe Cow KingIoloWeedLordVegetaCrippl3OghulkPanda4YouVegemyteUndead ScottsmanLorahaloJoeUserTofystedethHadesNeco
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    I want to see future legal precedents set where mod makers sure for control of the entire IP, citing that they're better at making the game than the developer is.

Sounds like a good way to get developers to shy away from allowing any mods whatsoever

We've seen many mods in the past which eventually eclipsed the base game

I think it's very much possible that a mod can destroy your IP if you don't play your cards right

Brolo wrote: »

Q4l7VgY.jpg

#vomit!

There's a real good Lester B. Pearson one, but barely can make work single player let alone multi.

There was another one, I forget who leader was, and it's not on works anymore, but it was amazing for the wonders alone

First was the CNR railway, ( had to railroad from border to border, then it could be built on that)

Other was Tim Horton's, wonder that only activated if you had one in every single city.

Iolo
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I like the solution minecraft modders made

They have you watch a ad before downloading the mod, and get payed a """"liscensing fee""""" when bigger sites or youtubers put together big mod packs

The minecraft modding community was full of scandal several years ago because modders didn't want their mods included in packs because you didn't have to individually download five parts of the mod through said ad walls

said ad walls which made modders less money than from people who played their mod through a modpack launcher and donated, because installing mods back then was a massive pain in the ass before you ran into the several-parts mods

that modpack launcher was public enemy number 1 in the modding scene for a while because reasons

VRXwDW7.png
This discussion has been closed.