Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    All we know so far about them is that they will use (random?) cards to alter their abilities somehow.

Speculation on my part: I suspect that, after using an ability, you will have some amount of time to add a (random?) card effect to the base skill.

Note that I really like the idea of a gambler healer, so that feeds into my speculation.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Do we know anything about the new classes yet? What kind of skills and abilities they will have? What sort of playstyle they will use? I'm specifically interested in Astrologian. I enjoy support, and at a conceptual level the idea a healer that uses the power of the sun, moon, and stars to draw it's power is neat. I can totally get behind being a Skymancer.

But from a gameplay standpoint I'm wondering what will set them apart from White Mages and Scholars.

There's some general info on the heavansward promo site.

Link is a few posts up on this page.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I just now realized that one of those new concept art pieces for Heavensward is (probably) super spoilery.

I am now very intrigued.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I just now realized that one of those new concept art pieces for Heavensward is (probably) super spoilery.

I am now very intrigued.

Very much so if it's the one I think you are referring to :)

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Took a min to do the benchmark on all maxed settings.

Ew9okbY.png

I'm pretty happy. DX11 really is noticably better quality and it all ran like butter on my machine at a great resolution. So glad I invested in a new computer last year. Gonna tool around with the character creator a bit later, see how the Au Ra stack up.

Godsdamn- what monster machine are you using? o.O

• Options
    Neat link to some of the unique animations for the Au Ra captured in the character creator: http://imgur.com/a/RZ5hp

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Esh wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »
    Ah, I thought you meant an in-game lore reason why they were smaller, and it was depressing.

"They were stuffed into tiny barrels at the age of six, stunting their growth. "

Hah, no.

The lore does mention that despite the Au Ra's dragon-esque features, the fact that the Au Ra females are so much smaller than the males suggests that they are not actually related to dragons at all. :razz:

That has zero relation as to if they're related if you look at the countless cases of sexual dimorphism.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, why, from a developer's standpoint they're different sizes.

On the Heavensward promo site, under the Lore section for the new race:

ItKqNs6.jpg

The reason cited is because sexual dimorphism does not exist within the Dragon race (Or at least not in the way it does in the Au Ra), which is why the scholars find it suspicious that such a difference exists in the Au Ra, to them this suggests they may not in fact be descended from Dragons.

Strange things happen in crossbreeding.
    Man, I'm just repeating what the official lore has to say on it. As far as the in-game scholars of Eorzea are concerned the Au Ra share similarities with dragons, but are not otherwise related. Size difference between the males/females is one of the reasons since when it comes to dragons, females tend to be bigger and meaner.

If you look at Delphi's quote (which makes it weird that he agreed with you), dragon females are the same size as their male counterparts, not larger.

You said size had no relation to the idea that the Au Ra were descended from Dragons because there was such a thing as sexual dimorphism. Axen was referring to the specific passage in which case the lore calls out that the size difference was a reason that scholars believed they may not be descended from dragons.

You are now switching the argument to the irrelevant point about whether female dragons are larger than male dragons.

The point stands that in the official lore it is believed that the Au Ra may not actually be descended from dragons in part because of the size difference between the sexes. Axen may be incorrect on his mention that female dragons are larger than males, but that is irrelevant to the original point being made. (which is why I agreed with his post)

Now, we should also note this is simply what some scholars believe on the subject. Whether or not the Au Ra actually ARE descended from dragons or not is still unconfirmed, all we know is the that in the established lore of the game, there are scholars that believe they may not be, largely based on the size difference, and the fact that Au Ra "horns" are sensory organs, which is not the case in Dragonkind.
    I can read the screenshot you posted. No need to type it out. Not that it matters, but his main point was that female dragons were larger than males, which I'd never seen referenced. I never said they were or weren't related, I was just wondering where he got his info from and you showed me a paragraph, which while showing them to be of equal size, didn't answer the question I asked.

Dimorphism was my first point, I never "switched" my argument.

*edited for unneeded saltiness*

Lorewise, how far back does
    Saint Shiva laying with dragons go?
    Wasn't theres some speculation on that being their origin?

Esh on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    So what are most of you planning to do when Heavensward hits? Are you gonna start the new storyline immediately or are you gonna grab one of the new jobs, level it to 50, then start the mainquest?

Of course assuming job unlocks aren't tied in with the story, which I don't think they are.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »
    So what are most of you planning to do when Heavensward hits? Are you gonna start the new storyline immediately or are you gonna grab one of the new jobs, level it to 50, then start the mainquest?

Of course assuming job unlocks aren't tied in with the story, which I don't think they are.

Story to 60, then start gearing in prep for Alex Normal, then dive into Alex HM when that opens. I'll casually level DRK in my offtime.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Did they release any of the lore about the lizards yet?

I know they discussed the naming convention, but nothing else.

Edit: And "somewhat depressing"?

When asked why the Au Ra females were so strikingly different from the males YoshiP said it wasn't so much an artistic design choice, but more like they crunched the numbers and their data showed that a very small percentage of their player base actually played female Highlanders or Roegadyns and the vast majority (of those who played as a female character) were Miqo'te or Midlanders. So instead of making the female Au Ra of similar build to their male counterpart they made them more like Miqo'te/Midlander females since doing otherwise (as their numbers showed) would be kind of a waste of time/resources.

So they have a perfectly logical, if somewhat depressing, reason.

as usual, catgirls ruin everything

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular

Powerleveling AST with my wife husband's DRK, getting SCH to 60, then figuring out which one to gear for Alexander.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    White and black scales the only choices?

No classic green?

• Options
    White and black scales the only choices?

No classic green?

There is a little trick you can do to add "blush" to the checks of your character. By doing that you can "color" the scales on the cheeks.

Outside of that, yeah just Black and White :(

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get your extra action bars to change with your class changes? On my main class I am using bar 10 and have it pulled way over to the right side as a right sidebar. Then I've got a few skills on that bar bound to Q, E, and F.

I'd like that bar to auto-change so that my Q, E, and F match my current selected class, and not just my main class. Is that possible?

• Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    Have they implemented DX11 into the game yet? Or is that happening when the xpac drops?

• Options
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    Have they implemented DX11 into the game yet? Or is that happening when the xpac drops?

Xpac has DX11, you can check it out now in the benchmark though :)

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Is there a way to get your extra action bars to change with your class changes? On my main class I am using bar 10 and have it pulled way over to the right side as a right sidebar. Then I've got a few skills on that bar bound to Q, E, and F.

I'd like that bar to auto-change so that my Q, E, and F match my current selected class, and not just my main class. Is that possible?

If you mean just changing abilities slotted, yeah, you can change it under character settings, probably under 'hotbars', to be non-persistent.

If you mean moving the hotbars themselves around the screen for different classes, not that I could find.

Edit: Pretty sure the setting is called something like "shared", if it's on, that hotbar is always the same.

Astale on
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    Spent this last weekend farming Ramuh EX and not getting a pony. On the upside, FC took pity on me last night and formed a Ramuh group to get it. 10-113 prior to the last increase and 13-76 after the increase. My overall pony rate was 11.5% before the increase and currently I have a 16.5% rate. So about 5% roughly? Will be helping virtual hubby with his remaining ponies and try to get a nightmare so the percentage will probably change. Nightmare is sitting at 3.4%

I plan to push AST through to cap with Hubby's MCH and a friend's DRK. Then get SCH to cap and decide which to focus on as primary. The first thing immediately after unlocking AST will be to change my hairstyle to the one the machinist in the benchmark uses (priorities).

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    yay 50 nin! I never have to level anything ever again!*
    *till all the leveling in xpac.... sob

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

MIN / BTN to 60, BSM / LTW / WVR / GSM to 60, maybe do some story with WAR, try out DRK and AST, ARM / CRP / ALC / CUL to 60, then get WAR to 60.
    unless they gate the leves behind a combat leve again, then i'll probably have to get WAR to 55 first to level the crafters faster.

• Options

Taking 2 or 3 weeks off work (haven't decided yet) and getting Machinist up to lvl 60 first.

Then I'll either get Dark Knight up or maybe Summoner to unlock Egis.

After that no real plan, just doing whatever strikes me. I should have plenty of time to do whatever I like :)

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    What are the likely cross-classes for Astro?

I'm guessing black mage and arcanist?

• Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    Does the song in the final benchmark battle sound familiar to anyone else?

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular

Mmm, if you go under character config -> hotbar settings -> sharing you can unclick hotbar 10. Like I have hotbars 1,2,3 unclicked (not sharing) but bar 4 is. So on my hud when I switch to paladin, my bars 1 thru 3 change (just the icons assigned, not the keybinds) so my q is now flash instead of stone. however, the medicine and limit break I have on hotbar 4 does not change so it is shared across all class changes.

Is that what you were meaning?

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Thaumaturge is pretty much a given since healers need swiftcast for raising Derpgoons. Conjurer is probably the other one since people expect Protect and Stoneskin for 4 man dungeons and a healer without Cleric Stance is going to suck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Don't quote me, but I believe Yoshi-P said they'd start at level 30, and with that thought, as they're stand alone jobs, I don't think they may have any. Could be from a fever dream though.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    That seems unlikely. They'd need a lot more class skills to make up for the lack, even if they added on 5 it wouldn't make up for the flexibility in choosing what 5 you get.

• Options
    Scooter wrote: »
    That seems unlikely. They'd need a lot more class skills to make up for the lack, even if they added on 5 it wouldn't make up for the flexibility in choosing what 5 you get.

I have yet to see a job that doesn't use the exact same 5 cross class abilities as everyone else playing that job. It wouldn't be rough at all. We'll see though.

• Options

Yeah as others mentioned I'd be super surprised if AST doesn't have access to Swiftcast, Protect, Stoneskin, maybe Surecast and Eye for an Eye. At the least.

Unless the class has it's own equivalents and since, from what we know, it can switch between heal and buff stances it might have it's own Protect and Stoneskin type spells.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

I have yet to see a job that doesn't use the exact same 5 cross class abilities as everyone else playing that job. It wouldn't be rough at all. We'll see though.

Some use the exact same 4, and then they get a free choice of which remaining useless one they want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Jakarrd wrote: »

Mmm, if you go under character config -> hotbar settings -> sharing you can unclick hotbar 10. Like I have hotbars 1,2,3 unclicked (not sharing) but bar 4 is. So on my hud when I switch to paladin, my bars 1 thru 3 change (just the icons assigned, not the keybinds) so my q is now flash instead of stone. however, the medicine and limit break I have on hotbar 4 does not change so it is shared across all class changes.

Is that what you were meaning?

Yes, this is what I meant. If I'm playing Paladin I want my Q to be my ranged shield throw move. If I'm playing Dragoon, I want Q to be my ranged spear throw move. I want my moves to change on the bar when I change jobs.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Yeah, in that case you'd go into hotbar settings and mark the hotbars as not shared. I think the first 3 are not shared by default.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, in that case you'd go into hotbar settings and mark the hotbars as not shared. I think the first 3 are not shared by default.

Indeed.

Personally I've two hotbars on the left side that are class specific and two on the right side that are shared (things like mounts, potions, sprint, limit break, etc).

When I switch classes the two hotbars on the left also change over to have the correct skills.

Axen on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I don't really post in this thread, but I wanted to comment that I finished all of the main storyline last night. That sure was...wow. Really happy I didn't get spoiled on it.

• Options

Indeed.

Personally I've two hotbars on the left side that are class specific and two on the right side that are shared (things like mounts, potions, sprint, limit break, etc).

When I switch classes the two hotbars on the left also change over to have the correct skills.

This is a good idea. I'll probably shuffle some skill locations around on bars and try to make an all-purpose bar with a few things on it just like you said.

I had another question last night as I was playing - regarding changing jobs.

Is there a way to disable the use of rest experience when I change jobs? I very much dislike that my rest XP gets burned at an extremely rapid pace if I'm playing a super low level class. I'd rather save the rest XP for a higher level class that will get more use out of it.

• Options
    Nope, you just use it.

The way my hotbars are set up, I have a shared hotbar on the right, with my mount, sprint, LB, a couple macros that toggle some UI elements like the duty tracker, the minimap, menubar etc, for raiding and running dungeons, and a macro that pops up my shared hotbar 7, which has all my job switching icons on it. Hotbar 6 is unshared and has things like songs, stances, infrequently used cooldowns and skills, alternate gear sets, or in the case of my bard, a macro to swap PvP skills into hotbar slots for skills I won't use in PvP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wait... this game has PVP?

Man. I missed so much between October 2013 when I quit, and when I recently started playing again. I know I quit in Oct 2013 becuase I still had some quests in my log from the Halloween event from that year.

So regarding rest XP... I guess if I'm concerned about burning it too rapidly on a low level job, I need to burn it all on my main job first and only level alt jobs when I'm out of rest or very low on rest?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Hah, yeah there is PvP.

Since XIV is a PvE game first and foremost I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of XIV's player base probably don't care about PvP. (Heh, and the number of people I talked to who have played forever and didn't realize PvP was a thing is surprising. :biggrin: )

That said, as someone who has enjoyed PvP in MMOs for a long time, their PvP showing in this is actually pretty solid. Doubly so considering what I said above.

The game has three PvP modes.

The first is an arena 4v4 of balanced teams (and maybe 8v8?). One tank, one healer, two DPS. Or you can go in as a pre-made of whatever and face other pre-mades. I'm pretty meh on this mode myself.

The other two are three teams (each Grand Company) squaring off with each other. They range in player numbers from 24, 42, and 64 IIRC. It all depends on how many people are queued up. Prime time is normally 64 players, off times are typically 24.

There are two game modes for this version.

One is Slaughter, where the three teams fight for the most kills. There are also random mobs littering the battlefield and it has a few special rules. For instance, Limit Breaks are individually link instead of party based. IIRC they don't call em Limit Breaks, but they're Limit Breaks. :razz:

The second mode is basically point control. You have several different outposts that must be captured and held to gain points. There are also things that spawn in the center that can be killed for mucho points.

The game map for those two modes is the same and pretty sizable.

You gain special PvP skill points which can be spent on PvP only special abilities and PvP only stat boosts.

You also gain both types of Tomes (in fact the Poetics payout is tied for the highest you can get from Duties). You also gain PvP currency called Wolfmarks which can be used to by equipment. And honestly, PvP is probably the fastest way for a fresh lvl 50 to hit iLvl 100.

The PvP gear post iLvl 100 have stats more suited towards PvP, but the stuff iLvl 100 and under has (last I checked) the exact same stats as an equivalent piece of iLvl PvE gear.

edit- Oh and one really awesome thing of note is that the GC v GC v GC pvp mode is actually pretty central to the later main storyline. Not that you have to do PvP for any sort of story, but rather the reason why the three-way Grand Company PvP exists is pretty central to an important plot thread.

edit 2- I should also point out that for the GC PvP mode at least, everyone gets iLvl sync'd to iLvl 80, as I recall. Regardless if you're under iLvl 80 or above it.

Axen on
  • Options
    I'm actually the exact opposite. I have never had a good experience with PVP in any MMORPG. Stats and gear imbalance always leads to one team having an unfair advantage over the other. Level syncing to a specific ilvl sounds like a good idea. That might help somewhat.

But I've done PVP in WoW, SWG, Everquest, and SWTOR and never had a good experience in any of those, so whenever I see or hear that a game is getting PVP, I tend to groan internally and roll my eyes.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I'm actually the exact opposite. I have never had a good experience with PVP in any MMORPG. Stats and gear imbalance always leads to one team having an unfair advantage over the other. Level syncing to a specific ilvl sounds like a good idea. That might help somewhat.

But I've done PVP in WoW, SWG, Everquest, and SWTOR and never had a good experience in any of those, so whenever I see or hear that a game is getting PVP, I tend to groan internally and roll my eyes.

It is physically impossible not to have a good time playing PvP in SWTOR. It had Hutball, the most perfect PvP map of all time.

Also PvP is way, WAY more fun with at least one more person.

My best PvP memories is me and a friend on his Jedi Knight and my Sentinal hard-carrying teams to victory like we were Shaq-Kobe 2001.

But anyways, about FFXIV, I got a Very High with everything jacked up to max DX11.

Not too bad for a 6 year old machine and a 2 year old videocard(Got a 760 RIGHT before Nvidia rapid fired the 800 and 900 series)

This discussion has been closed.