Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Are gear sets still saved client-side?

When Heavensward comes out I'm considering a double purchase. Currently I'm playing on PC, but I'd like the option of playing on my PS4 from the comfort of my couch, so I'm debating as to whether I should buy both the PC expansion as well as the Heavensward disc version for PS4, which I'm assuming will include the full game with it(?).

However, if gear and other settings are still client-side, that's a big strike against multiplatform gaming. I do not want to go through the hassle of updating gear sets on two platorms anytime something changes.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yep, gear sets and UI settings are stored in your user profile client side. UI settings I understand, gear sets seems weird, but such is life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Took a min to do the benchmark on all maxed settings.

Ew9okbY.png

I'm pretty happy. DX11 really is noticably better quality and it all ran like butter on my machine at a great resolution. So glad I invested in a new computer last year. Gonna tool around with the character creator a bit later, see how the Au Ra stack up.

Godsdamn- what monster machine are you using? o.O

Nothing too fancy, just something I put a lot of time and money into last May when my old computer died and built myself with a little help from a local computer parts store. Certainly not using triple overclocked GTX Titans or anything.

Benchmark or no though, the real test will be how the game itself runs moment to moment in DX11, and for me that will be in addition to livestreaming which I am going to start doing again very soon in the next few days. I anticipate that I'll still need to tweak individual settings when Heavensward comes out, but it'll still be a high graphical quality overall most likely.

488W936.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Do any of you all play FFXIV on PS4? How is the experience? I watched a friend of mine try to play it on his PS3 back at launch, and to me it looked unplayable. I watched him do a few of the bigger, more popular FATEs, and stuff was disappearing off the screen, particles disappeared, and it was just a giant mess.

What's the big dragon FATE in the Coerthas Highlands? The one up on top of the stone wall? I watched him do that one on his PS3 and the dragon literally disappeared off his screen. He died multiple times because he couldn't see any of the telegraphs on the ground.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The PS4's hardware is about on par with an average i5 quad core PC, with something like a Radeon 7850 or a Geforce 650. So I'd expect the PS4 performance to be about on par with that kind of rig. I've been thinking about getting the game on PS4 to play from my living room, but the performance is definitely a concern since I don't know how well it runs on PS4.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    We have two people in our static that run the game on PS4 and I've never heard them complain about any sort of performance issues in any of the content available in the game. By all accounts it runs the game very smoothly and it looks very good.

This video shows some sort of Frame rate test for the PS4 and it seems to dip in FPS a bit but as you can see in the video even with a LOT going on on screen it doesn't have any real noticeable stutter or input lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n72MTWMPuCg

This video shows a graphic comparison between PS3, PS4, and PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDPbXAKxNdc

Note that these videos are both from almost exactly a year ago so there have probably only been improvements in both areas as the game becomes more and more optimized. One of the benefits of developing for a console is that you know exactly what hardware is in there and how best to optimize your game for it, even if the hardware is average you'll see better performance than a comparable PC setup in my experience.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I wouldn't like FPS dips into the 20s, but it seems like it was only happening with quite a few people on screen.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Eh, IMO all that really matters is that you get a steady framerate during dungeons and the like.

I mean when there's a million players on the screen you're gonna have some fps slowdown no matter what hardware you got.

Luckily nearly everything of import is instanced.

Now if you're in a dungeon and you get some serious framerate issues, I'd call that a problem.

edit- And I suppose if you have framerate issues while standing in the middle of nowhere that would be a problem too. :razz:

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'm sort of afraid of the benchmark because the min specs for heavensward are almost exactly my laptop's specs :C

• Options
    Right, as long as it doesn't dip too badly in raids and what not when there are a lot of people on screen I wouldn't think there'd be any problem. That video posted above showed fine performance in every instance except a couple where there were like 15+ people on screen, and I don't know if they were in an instance or not during those times. It looked like they were just out in the world.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Eh, IMO all that really matters is that you get a steady framerate during dungeons and the like.

I mean when there's a million players on the screen you're gonna have some fps slowdown no matter what hardware you got.

Luckily nearly everything of import is instanced.

Now if you're in a dungeon and you get some serious framerate issues, I'd call that a problem.

edit- And I suppose if you have framerate issues while standing in the middle of nowhere that would be a problem too. :razz:

That's what I found interesting about the benchmark is the interior dungeon scenes did less well than the exterior ones with dozens of characters and enemies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Right, as long as it doesn't dip too badly in raids and what not when there are a lot of people on screen I wouldn't think there'd be any problem. That video posted above showed fine performance in every instance except a couple where there were like 15+ people on screen, and I don't know if they were in an instance or not during those times. It looked like they were just out in the world.

Raids aren't an issue for sure. The most you'll see a performance hit during is on Open world events like FATEs (although not likely, but that's what you saw in the video) and on Hunts. The latter is where every man woman and child on the server shows up in one location to kill one monster in the span of a few minutes. Currently Hunt activity is diminished, but we know for a fact that there will be new hunts in the expansion so expect that to happen again at some point.

Outside of that we're talking no issues with 99% of the game.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I only lag for two things; Odin and S rank hunts. Everything else is consistent and smooth.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    The benchmark tool actually has a good spread of stuff that will happen in the game.
    There's the money shot 4 man dungeons, open world travelling and people doing stuff while you're passing by. There's the town area with lots of less active PCs. A large FATE/NM fight and LB spamming then finally the busy 8 man raid encounter.

I'm confident in saying that if you're happy with how the benchmark looks on your rig and the FPS you get, you're good to go with those settings. Massed players like what you find on hunts and Odin are pretty much out of scope and there's not much point planning for that 1% event compared to making the parts of the game where you spend the majority of your time look as pretty as possible

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    As YoshiP stated there is a very specific and somewhat depressing reason why the lizard-ladies are drastically different from their male counterparts. And for any future races you can expect the females to be of similar design, unless it is another Lala-esque race I suppose.

I, for one, would've been all over a 7 foot tall succubus lady.

Yes, please.

It's sad that they used the catgirls as part of their reasoning.

I don't play Miqo'te because they're dainty.

I play Miqo'te because they're cats.

Also, my Au Ra would look even cooler if she was hella tall.

sPFA0KJ.jpg

Seriously considering sending her in to the Twitter contest.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I startef playing on PS3 and large FA
    Stilts wrote: »
    As YoshiP stated there is a very specific and somewhat depressing reason why the lizard-ladies are drastically different from their male counterparts. And for any future races you can expect the females to be of similar design, unless it is another Lala-esque race I suppose.

I, for one, would've been all over a 7 foot tall succubus lady.

Yes, please.

It's sad that they used the catgirls as part of their reasoning.

I don't play Miqo'te because they're dainty.

I play Miqo'te because they're cats.

Also, my Au Ra would look even cooler if she was hella tall.

Seriously considering sending her in to the Twitter contest.

You might want to check out the FFXIV sub-Reddit Au Ra threads, 'cause generic white hair/black skin ain't gonna cut it against what some of the people there are doing...

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3408pj/aura_megathread_post_your_aura_here_do_not_make_a/

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/345miw/aura_megathread_day_2_post_your_aura_here_no_new/

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/34a50f/aura_megathread_final_day_post_your_aura/

Esh on
  • Options
    ...black skin?

Not really the color that's there.

Also, nice of you to take the time to tell me I'm generic.

So considerate of you.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    ...black skin?

So considerate of you.

Don't let it get to you, enter whatever you like.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ...black skin?

So considerate of you.

Black/Grey. I'm just saying, it's not exactly something that hasn't been done before and Squeenix is looking for a little more pizzaz. The Drow/Dark Elf look has been done a lot. Poke through there for some ideas.

Never called you generic either, just said that you might want to do something besides adjust the skin and hair color and call it a day.

And hey, I play a Mi'Qote with pale skin and black/white hair. It's not like I'm doing much original, but if you want to win the prize, you gotta stand out.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Grove wrote: »
    ...black skin?

So considerate of you.

Don't let it get to you, enter whatever you like.

My sentiments exactly.

I'm a fan of this one...

UoGOW5S.jpg

After I redownload the benchmark, I'll see what I can post up. I kinda want that scarf.

Esh on
  • Options
    I think this is my final one for now, at least until they add in the rest of the options:

tmpL3F1.png

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Submissions for the contest end at midnight PST.

@Delphinidaes The subtle eye color difference keeps freaking out my eyes and making them twitch. In a good way.

Esh on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Can't decide if I like the TRON eyes, since I suspect they won't be part of the stylist.

I mean, it's neat and all, but if I decide it's annoying after awhile, it'd be really damn hard to ignore.

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    Can't decide if I like the TRON eyes, since I suspect they won't be part of the stylist.

I mean, it's neat and all, but if I decide it's annoying after awhile, it'd be really damn hard to ignore.

I like them, I just wish the effect was a little more subtle.

• Options
    I love them as they are.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm about to build my new PC and am curious if the Heavensward benchmark contains any story spoilers for ARR, post uh...Ramuh. I'd like to test out the DX11 stuff when I get it built, but at the same time don't want to be spoiled before I can get to finishing the ARR storyline myself (after the new pc is built; current pc just shuts down all the time trying to play now, and I haven't been able to be assed to reset up everything on the PS4).

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I'm about to build my new PC and am curious if the Heavensward benchmark contains any story spoilers for ARR, post uh...Ramuh. I'd like to test out the DX11 stuff when I get it built, but at the same time don't want to be spoiled before I can get to finishing the ARR storyline myself (after the new pc is built; current pc just shuts down all the time trying to play now, and I haven't been able to be assed to reset up everything on the PS4).

It does not.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Thank you!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i'm sort of afraid of the benchmark because the min specs for heavensward are almost exactly my laptop's specs :C

8824, had absolutely nothing to worry about.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

If you just pick a shade closer to the color of the eyes wouldn't that hand the making it more subtle?

It only stands out if you pick a bright color or a color very different from the eyes.

• Options

If you just pick a shade closer to the color of the eyes wouldn't that hand the making it more subtle?

It only stands out if you pick a bright color or a color very different from the eyes.

Rarely. Many times the ring color is a much more intense TRON version of the eye color. Trust me, common sense says what you say should be true, but it's not.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    It can be fairly subtle with some of the shades of green, but it has to be a dark ring and a fairly light eye. Haven't really messed around with it much.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    If you pick any of the colors on the right (dark) side of the palette, it's pretty subtle. Anything to the left of the second to last row is pretty radioactive.

I kind of love the tron thing though, my dragon chick is mostly shades of purple with neon orange eye rings.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    ShimazuShimazu Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I think its time to fire up this game again in preparation for the expansion, see if I can catch up on the story and mess around in the gold saucer a little bit. I'll send in another GHOST application in game.

I went half a year without even thinking of this game and suddenly I'm really excited about it again.

Shimazu on
    FFXIV - Cao Cao @ Sargatanas
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Rarely. Many times the ring color is a much more intense TRON version of the eye color. Trust me, common sense says what you say should be true, but it's not.

Hmm. Might just be the color combinations. I had plenty of combos where I could barely see the ring and had to keep choosing brighter colors because I wanted it to stand out.

• Options
    Just ran the benchmark in maximum DX11 mode, and it is amazing. I'll probably have to toy with my brightness/gamma/contrast to compensate for the SSAO shadows but it looks AWESOME. Icing on the cake of an already exciting expansion.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I want to see comparison screenshots in the old areas with DX11.

Since stuff like reflections should be a lot better.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I think this is my final one for now, at least until they add in the rest of the options:

tmpL3F1.png

Wait there's gonna be more options?

WHEW.

I was getting worried because the lack of ANY Scale color options was a huge bummer.

• Options

tmpL3F1.png

Wait there's gonna be more options?

WHEW.

I was getting worried because the lack of ANY Scale color options was a huge bummer.

No idea what the options will be, but supposedly Yoshi P said in an interview that the current options were only half of what was coming. He said "Players can make half their character now, and the other half when the expansion comes"

I couldn't find a source though so I'm taking that with a pretty big grain of salt for now.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Coloured scales would be rad but I doubt they'd allow it because of the lore. I'm about 50/50 right now on changing to a Dude'Ra though, as long as I stay away from the anime hair I think they're pretty cool looking.

This discussion has been closed.