Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Ok, so I decided to return and get ready for Heavensward. Since I killed Ultima Weapon I kinda got burned out (Summoner + 360 pad = MEH) -- figure I'll try another class now that I'm back.

... How's Dragoon? Back when I quit they were kinda disliked because of how their jump attacks worked.

Dragoon got a bit of love, their jump timing got shortened as did some cooldowns and they removed a few positional requirements. They are pretty much in line with the other melee DPS in terms of usability and damage output. You still need to not be using jump during enemy AoE but you aren't punished as harshly for it as the timings aren't as tight.

Basically if you liked the class before you'll love it now, but the jumps are still very key in the rotation and you need to learn to use them effectively.

Monk is a dance you cannot stop. Ninja is stab stab stab. Dragoon is in comparison, HULK SMASH! and not fumbling on Jump timing against mechanics. Well, that's the way I see it...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Out of boredom, I'm pony farming. The pain of PF is real.

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    5InKJ16.jpg Got super important things done. for reasons™

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    19fch90xvneo.jpg

I got a new hat today too!

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I unlocked Crystal Tower today. That's how far behind I am, heh.

I realizedt hat I only need about 14 keypresses for my Scholar rotation so that's not too horrible, especially with some Macros.

• Options
    mmmm, got my second clear of T13 which was a run to solidify my new planning for the final phase. Locked down the right heals for the right mechanics and I'm good enough on MP management that I can get through without Ballad. Just need to iron out some flinching with the phase transition between 1 and 2 and I'll be solid for that encounter.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Ponies will be getting their respective Primal themes!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/227707-Primal-Ponies-Should-Play-Their-Respective-Themes?p=2950922#post2950922
    Zhexos wrote:
    Ponies? Mind your manners when you talk about these steeds of legend!

I think you'll all be happy to know that each steed will soon be getting their respective primal theme. Quite exciting!

Please look forward to it! (I have to start farming them.)

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Oh man, now I gotta get these things.

Well, Titan and Garuda anyway.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Even more reason to get a pony now then... hmm.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The Japanese do not fuck around when it comes to cosplay. Here's a gallery from the NicoNico Super FATE.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001009.html

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/7600be95526c39a6eea950918dfa593a9a8fdd70

Esh on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    I suddenly really need a pony now.

Why oh why isn't there a Moogle pony?

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Because Moogle Mog is not a pony giving primal but a fever dream of desperate moogles afraid of ambiguous outsiders forcing them to deliver mail and say kupo, kupo.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    EmzedohEmzedoh Registered User regular
    So I wanted to say a proper goodbye, but then I ran out of gametime in the middle of a dungeon. Kinda wish mogstation was more precise about when your money runs out!

Anyway, I'm letting my sub lapse until Heavensward comes out, later ghosts!

• Options
    Another Mog wedding =D
    22627_10204469069466464_3527662721851858242_n.jpg?oh=241b237d16145fa9dcbde5f8fe0dd207&oe=560B8363

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Because Moogle Mog is not a pony giving primal but a fever dream of desperate moogles afraid of ambiguous outsiders forcing them to deliver mail and say kupo, kupo.

You take that back! Kupogasus is real!
    e2x8lyxobzsh.jpg

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RieRie Registered User regular
    I should have posted it two nights ago when I got this...
    bi0K58x.png
    yuqDZvk.png

FF14 - Rie Himawari (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    TeaTea FFXIV: Tea L'euphorie Registered User regular
    Ponies will be getting their respective Primal themes!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/227707-Primal-Ponies-Should-Play-Their-Respective-Themes?p=2950922#post2950922
    Zhexos wrote:
    Ponies? Mind your manners when you talk about these steeds of legend!

I think you'll all be happy to know that each steed will soon be getting their respective primal theme. Quite exciting!

Please look forward to it! (I have to start farming them.)

But what song will Kirin play?

Maaaaaybe this?

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/tfbjc6kfbrjli3c/Kirin_Theme.mp3

xD

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
  • Options
    GikenGiken Registered User regular
    So i am a returning player to this game. Havent really played in like a year, but when i did play i was a dragoon. I will be coming back for the new shiny Dark Knight, but i also plan to test out the other classes as well.

Right now i started a new character on a different server to play with friends, and re-learn the game. I have a lvl 26 Marauder atm, and planned to keep lvling him up until the new update came. (Just so i am not a terrible Dark Knight)

But i am mostly just wondering if i should go back to what i am good at, and just be the dps guy again, or try out being a tank for a while and be moderatly decent at it. I am unsure of how the new dungeons are, so just looking to see how badly i will be letting my partys down later on.

• Options
    rolled a 2 on a nightmare whistle, good times.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Man, fuck Steps of Faith.

Though it's pretty great when you finally get it done.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

I spent almost 7 hours in Steps of Faith. We timed out six times.
    I will say that I got pretty good with the cannons eventually, but the person who finally got me through it was a cannon wizard.

• Options
    iZad4ZP.png

My screenshot contest entry. Now if only the fucking Square Enix security would let me log into their forum to post it...

488W936.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Rekt.

• Options
    Tanking like DPS and healing is a role that takes time to learn how to get a handle on it. It does deal with a different aspect of a fight but it's fairly straight forward once you understand your objectives and your tools in getting what you want. Tanking is also more of an art rather than a fixed science. Sure there are certainly measurables such as how much your threat meter is spiking, but outside the strict scripted mechanics of the later coil encounters, it takes experience to gauge how much group threat you need to generate to keep stuff off the healer while maintaining strong single target threat for your DPS to do their work comfortably with a group comprised of completely unknown qualities (aka a pug DF group).

If you want to tank, the worst thing you can do is to not tank. You need personal experience. Don't be afraid of the role and just experiment; that's what the levelling dungeons are for. They have big margins for error and are readily repeatable so you can play around and work out what is effective and what isn't.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I finally got to do Good King Moogle Mog ex while I queued my BRD for 5 different extreme primals. I didn't expect this one to pop because of the shoddy loot, so I just read the wiki while waiting for buffs and hoped for the best.

As expected we wiped and I apologized because I killed an add. I got told that I should have prepared better and then an experienced player explained the relevant mechanics to the group. After 5 more wipes we finally won and everyone was content.

Now I have a question for my peers who only just got to end-game: how do you prepare? What do you use DF for? Is there any content youre skipping? I am dps so queues are long and I try to get around this by queueing for a bunch of crap and keep my phone at hand to look up strats. I know I am leeching off more experienced players, but I have no idea how else I am going to get this content done without being online all day.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

I spent almost 7 hours in Steps of Faith. We timed out six times.
    I will say that I got pretty good with the cannons eventually, but the person who finally got me through it was a cannon wizard.

I got it as a trial roulette a couple weeks ago. I was on my paladin, but the other tank said he could handle the adds himself. So I hopped on a cannon, and handle them he did. He kept them all right in the sweet spot. Between 2 cannons who never had to stop hitting the boss, and some pretty awesome deeps, we killed the dragon before the 2nd Dragonkiller.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Corehealer
    This is the engagement picture me and my bond partner took :D It is one of my favorite screenshots in the game. The light was just perfect.
    bawFNPA.png

• Options
    I managed to figure out my login issue and post in the contest last night. Lots of good entries in there but you never know.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Yup! I entered with my ponies screenshot!
    It was the hardwork of many people!

• Options
    ff7007ff7007 Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I finally got to do Good King Moogle Mog ex while I queued my BRD for 5 different extreme primals. I didn't expect this one to pop because of the shoddy loot, so I just read the wiki while waiting for buffs and hoped for the best.

As expected we wiped and I apologized because I killed an add. I got told that I should have prepared better and then an experienced player explained the relevant mechanics to the group. After 5 more wipes we finally won and everyone was content.

Now I have a question for my peers who only just got to end-game: how do you prepare? What do you use DF for? Is there any content youre skipping? I am dps so queues are long and I try to get around this by queueing for a bunch of crap and keep my phone at hand to look up strats. I know I am leeching off more experienced players, but I have no idea how else I am going to get this content done without being online all day.

I just hit 50 a week or so ago and have been slogging through runs since. I too just did Mog EX yesterday I think (or maybe the day before, weekends get a little blurry) and it probably pushes the limit of what I'd use the DF for. I spent an hour or so trying the Turn 5 of Coil yesterday and that is some rough stuff to pick up on the fly. I'm starting to believe the reputation of some of these runs are very well earned. On the flip side, all of the story content has been very achievable, along with most of the 4-mans (although some of the mechanics in those are pretty obtuse upon first glance as well. Diabolos, I'm looking at you). So I think that for gearing, the DF is good for 4- and 24-man runs, and for the story stuff it's good across the board (although maybe Steps is horrible? I'll find out in a week or two at this rate). As for everything else, I think I'll try and find friends to help me learn it instead of trying to get DF to do that.

PSN: Rauhy FFRK: 9YYP Steam: Rauhy Battle.net: Rauhy#1977
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I've decided to do a free trial and when looking at worlds it appears I cannot actually use Sargatanas right now. Is that just a temporary too many people right now thing, or am I not getting in at all?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You have to wait for a time when the server isn't full to make a character. Anything from really early morning to well before lunch is usually the best time to try.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Good thing I have insomnia then, see you at 3 am hopefully.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    GikenGiken Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Tanking like DPS and healing is a role that takes time to learn how to get a handle on it. It does deal with a different aspect of a fight but it's fairly straight forward once you understand your objectives and your tools in getting what you want. Tanking is also more of an art rather than a fixed science. Sure there are certainly measurables such as how much your threat meter is spiking, but outside the strict scripted mechanics of the later coil encounters, it takes experience to gauge how much group threat you need to generate to keep stuff off the healer while maintaining strong single target threat for your DPS to do their work comfortably with a group comprised of completely unknown qualities (aka a pug DF group).

If you want to tank, the worst thing you can do is to not tank. You need personal experience. Don't be afraid of the role and just experiment; that's what the levelling dungeons are for. They have big margins for error and are readily repeatable so you can play around and work out what is effective and what isn't.

Cool, thanks for the reply. As of now the pre 30 dungeons are easy. I got the feel of tanking, and somewhat know how many aoes i need to do in order to keep aggro off the healer. I have a feeling after i get to 50 then i wouldnt have any issues or worries with my ability to tank for others. I would just have to relearn all the dungeons and learn the new ones.

I started lvling a rouge last night, but now i think i will switch back to my maraurder and see how long that will last.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Lv.30-50 is training for when you hit 50. That's when the game really starts.

sig.gif
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Aaaaand that's 12 runs of Amdapor keep with no drop to show for it. And apparently I'm lucky on that, as the white mage on that last one was on run #20.

I'm starting to think I didn't escape from Plot Happenings after all. I experienced cutscene death at some point and this is some kind of ironic hell.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Got 2 Crystal Towers in tonight. I still die more than most, cause I have less than 3k HP. Tomorrow, maybe day after tomorrow, I should be able to afford a chestpiece with the Tombstones of Soldery or whatnot, hopefully that will bring my HP up a bit. I also finally started the storyline stuff. I have a loooot of quests to do.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    KiTA wrote: »
    Got 2 Crystal Towers in tonight. I still die more than most, cause I have less than 3k HP. Tomorrow, maybe day after tomorrow, I should be able to afford a chestpiece with the Tombstones of Soldery or whatnot, hopefully that will bring my HP up a bit. I also finally started the storyline stuff. I have a loooot of quests to do.

You should grab a better weapon from the HM primals or the relic weapon, yo. Also yes tomestones of soldiery are pretty great for the good gear.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yea, I wouldn't go too far into the relics now, but getting at least to the i90 shouldn't take more than a couple nights, maybe a single if you have some soldiery saved up and get a good group.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Relic up to the Atma stuff is still a pretty decent weapon.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.